Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm not convinced LeBron intended the pass to go through Wiggins's legs but only LeBron rifles passes at the kind of speed necessary for it to actually work. Meaning even if it wasn't intentional it's still something only LeBron could have done. Manu would have aimed between the legs, ending in adorable failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No Obama in the celebrity game?

loving shameful.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Obama is chilling on a beach while the government crashes on itself. The last place Obama wants to be right now is near cameras and microphones.

Maybe in 3 or 4 years he'll do it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Your inability to recognize James' level of talent is stunning. It's not like he tries this 3 times a game and always misses. He saw a chance, he took it, and it worked.

It worked based off a lucky bounce off the defender's leg. If you're going to nutmeg a dude you really want it to be clean.

I also hate that everyone calls it a no look pass when he clearly looks at his target.

Also I'm the wrong guy if you want to complain about someone not recognizing James's talent.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Doltos posted:

Manu pulled off way better passes than JWill or Lebron :colbert:

:cmon:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Minor league baseball is more than a century old and yet is still subsidized by major league teams, for one reason, baseball is a game of skill. It takes a billion reps to be able to hit major league pitching and a million to throw past major league pitching. The g (for Gay, which is good, in obamas america?? :( :mad: (just kidding)) has produced backup point guards and some end of rotation bigs and a few primary backups. I think its most important role is will be to serve as a showcase for undrafted college players who've honed their craft in europe. They can come to the Santa Anita Aliens for a season and crush everyone, get their 10 days, keep working, and make NBA teams.

Baseball minor leagues also exist because nobody gives a gently caress about college baseball so they only get 11.7 scholarships (basketball gets 13!) to spread around for a whole team. You need 10 college caliber players just to start a game (including a DH). This doesn't affect a ton of players but it's one of the reasons baseball has an issue developing talent and not losing it to football or basketball.

Your chance for a payday is better in baseball where you can get 6 figure bonuses by getting drafted in the 10th round but the more "successful" route is always going to be football or basketball where you have a better chance at getting some college paid for.

And the NBA doesn't pay a penny for colleges to develop players for them and take all the risks of giving the equivalent of lots of money to an 18 year old kid.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 15, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

dokmo posted:

Sure but that doesn't mean the system will translate to another sport. The NBA does not need a minor league to produce and develop talent, it survived without an associated minor league for decades. There is no reason to assume that the market will support additional minor league basketball teams, as basketball is a much more star-driven sport, and there are no stars and few prospects with name value in the current d league. If the market cannot support additional minor league basketball team means that NBA teams will have to support them financially and most current teams are not willing to do that. The current system where teams that are willing can own a d league team, and those that aren't, don't. Forcing the latter teams to buy a minor team in a market that probably won't support the team, just to model itself after baseball's successful minor league system, does not seem like a guaranteed win to me..

Why does it have to make money? Shouldn't the league be trying to develop as much professional basketball talent it possibly can so that it can improve the caliber of play in their league?

I'm also not sure baseball is unique just because of the type of sport it is. I think the financial aspects of it have led to their system. Teams in baseball can draft players and control them for a fraction of the cost of a professional contract for many years while they develop in the minors. You can't do that in the NBA right now. Why couldn't the NBA extend their draft a few rounds and do something similar? Instead of some good college player who may be a fringe NBA player in a few years playing out his years at college, maybe it'd be best for him to be drafted by an NBA team and spend those 3 years playing for a D-League squad. Gets to work against better talent and with better coaches.

I think the problem with the D-League is it's a half measure. They want a way to develop talent but don't want to go all-in on it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I had some sick blocks on Hasan Minhaj back in high school so I rightfully deserve to be in that game

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Niwrad posted:

I think the problem with the D-League is it's a half measure. They want a way to develop talent but don't want to go all-in on it.

It's not a half measure. The teams that use it, use it 100%. Other teams dont because they would rather develop players in-house. You're thinking in terms of the league, but the decisions as to player development are not made at the league level, they are made at the team or player level.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

straight up brolic posted:

He did a lot of things that were good for optics early in his presidency (pardoning the Vietnam draft dodgers, starting a national energy policy) that distracted from the fact that he and his congress completely sold out the political establishment to corporate interests and extinguished the hope of the progressive era, which by no coincidence ended with Allen Iverson's retirement, for good.

Maybe the only good politics post on the last 100 pages of this thread. Insightful and hilarious with an accurate basketball related historical analogy. It bounces off the page like a beautiful AI crossover dribble.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Doltos posted:

I think its a bit insulting to put players like Candace Parker in the celebrity allstar game. She should at least be a coach or something.

No way. Seeing women clown adult men who think they can ball will always be cool and good.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

WhyteRyce posted:

I had some sick blocks on Hasan Minhaj back in high school so I rightfully deserve to be in that game
I was mediocre in high school but I had like 5 massive chase down blocks in our game against the school for the deaf that I still feel bad about

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bashez posted:

Lebron James threw a ball in to a defender's leg and got a lucky bounce and everyone in this thread is jizzing themselves. What is happening.

I bet you think telling four year olds Santa Claus isn't real is fun too.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Why does it have to make money? Shouldn't the league be trying to develop as much professional basketball talent it possibly can so that it can improve the caliber of play in their league?

I'm also not sure baseball is unique just because of the type of sport it is. I think the financial aspects of it have led to their system. Teams in baseball can draft players and control them for a fraction of the cost of a professional contract for many years while they develop in the minors. You can't do that in the NBA right now. Why couldn't the NBA extend their draft a few rounds and do something similar? Instead of some good college player who may be a fringe NBA player in a few years playing out his years at college, maybe it'd be best for him to be drafted by an NBA team and spend those 3 years playing for a D-League squad. Gets to work against better talent and with better coaches.

There's no need for it to be more than a half-measure tho. They need a feeder league to fill in one or two end of the bench roster spots and 10-day contracts. Why go all-in and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a developmental league that most of your decent players or prospects will never play in? There's young guys who would benefit from it, potentially promising rookies who just can't get playing time yet for their NBA teams and could use the minutes somewhere to develop more and for their team to evaluate them, but in the NBA we're talking a couple dozen guys really. That doesn't justify having anything more than a "half-measure" developmental league.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

I was mediocre in high school but I had like 5 massive chase down blocks in our game against the school for the deaf that I still feel bad about

jesus christ

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Chase down blocks are never something to be ashamed about :colbert:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
All teams should be forced to have to have a G League team. These billionaires can afford to take a loss on G League teams, they already are making ridiculous amounts on their NBA teams (or screwing over normal people from however they made their billions.) Quality of play would eventually go up league wide in the NBA, instead of having to find a random player on a 10 day, a team could slide in someone who is familiar with their system via G League affiliate. It would also be better because players wouldn't be getting ruined by schools like Syracuse and would be around better coaches earlier. They should also pay the G League players a living wage. Another thing that would help is getting rid of he stigma of playing in the G League for vets. Having players come back from injury by playing a few G League games would be better than right back into the league.

Expanding the amount of guys who get a shot on a team would naturally lead to finding diamonds in the rough for team's systems (that might not otherwise be found.) Having an extra spot at the end of the roster for G League players is a good start but it's not enough. If they were smarter about where they put the teams or how they advertised, they'd get better attendance. If you've lived in a G League town, how often do you see the team advertised? In Austin I've seen the Austin Spurs advertised maybe once. For many teams, they also choose terrible locations to play. The Texas Legends in Frisco is going to have all the problems FC Dallas has for drawing crowds plus the stigma of being a minor league team. The Austin Spurs play way too far north for it to be easy to go to a game for most of the city.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 15, 2017

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

I mean I guess they can't really call "Wolf" out or anything, but drat man

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

dokmo posted:

It's not a half measure. The teams that use it, use it 100%. Other teams dont because they would rather develop players in-house. You're thinking in terms of the league, but the decisions as to player development are not made at the league level, they are made at the team or player level.

It's a half measure as long as the players on those D-League teams aren't part of the actual NBA team. Sending a player down to the D-League to develop is fine but he still collects an NBA paycheck and it still counts toward his NBA service time. It's not built to send a player down to develop for a year or two. Just for a few weeks at a time when the schedule and health of the roster affords it.

A full measure would be allowing teams to have say 5 "developmental players" under their control. They don't get paid an NBA contract and they aren't earning NBA service time. Maybe it's a 2-3 year deal that gives the players a fair salary to play for their D-League team. The NBA team can convert that to an NBA deal whenever they want. This would allow the D-League to actually be a place to develop NBA players for specific NBA teams. For a team like the Warriors to pick up a 21 year old PG they like who isn't ready for the NBA and groom him to be a Steph's backup PG in a couple years. Have him learn the team's system, their plays, their coaches, etc.

Basically the D-League is just a place for guys who aren't good enough for the NBA to play. It's not a great developmental tool because the teams don't have that great of an incentive to develop players they don't control in it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

You should apologize to Rick for that right now.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The B_36 posted:

There's no need for it to be more than a half-measure tho. They need a feeder league to fill in one or two end of the bench roster spots and 10-day contracts. Why go all-in and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a developmental league that most of your decent players or prospects will never play in? There's young guys who would benefit from it, potentially promising rookies who just can't get playing time yet for their NBA teams and could use the minutes somewhere to develop more and for their team to evaluate them, but in the NBA we're talking a couple dozen guys really. That doesn't justify having anything more than a "half-measure" developmental league.

Why does it need to cost hundreds of millions of dollars? Just make it the same as it is but allow teams to control up to 5 more players on developmental contracts ($50-$100k a year). You'd be talking like a few hundred thousand a year tops.

Heck, it might help D-League attendance if you knew that some guy was being groomed to be on the NBA roster the next season.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Niwrad posted:

It's a half measure as long as the players on those D-League teams aren't part of the actual NBA team. Sending a player down to the D-League to develop is fine but he still collects an NBA paycheck and it still counts toward his NBA service time. It's not built to send a player down to develop for a year or two. Just for a few weeks at a time when the schedule and health of the roster affords it.

A full measure would be allowing teams to have say 5 "developmental players" under their control. They don't get paid an NBA contract and they aren't earning NBA service time. Maybe it's a 2-3 year deal that gives the players a fair salary to play for their D-League team. The NBA team can convert that to an NBA deal whenever they want. This would allow the D-League to actually be a place to develop NBA players for specific NBA teams. For a team like the Warriors to pick up a 21 year old PG they like who isn't ready for the NBA and groom him to be a Steph's backup PG in a couple years. Have him learn the team's system, their plays, their coaches, etc.

Basically the D-League is just a place for guys who aren't good enough for the NBA to play. It's not a great developmental tool because the teams don't have that great of an incentive to develop players they don't control in it.

G-League.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

So you're saying that they didn't hear the footsteps?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

So you're saying that they didn't hear the footsteps?
You really don't appreciate how necessary "hearing footsteps" is to basketball until you've sent a deaf guy's shot five rows deep into the sparse audience and people are just looking at you like your kind of a dick

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Drake’s Offer to Help Talk Suicidal Man Off Bridge Declined, Police Say
https://www.yahoo.com/music/drake-offer-help-talk-suicidal-174500230.html

People thought that Idiocracy movie was joking about advertising of the future.

Carlosologist posted:

so what do the Cavs do now that Love is out for an extended period? can't imagine they make a panic move

Waffling in the EC.

Paul Zuvella posted:

3) The Assassination of Stephan Curry by the Hero Kyrie Irving

The Assassination of Stephen Curry by the Coward Kevin Love.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Except those guys don't exist. A guy like Lance Stephenson isn't going to sign a year+ deal when a single 10-day contract will pay him more, and in your system the player is getting screwed because he only gets called up if his controlling team makes the call. Sucks if Dallas wants to call you up but you have a contract with Sacramento.

There aren't 150 prospects that teams think might pan out. By the time you are 24 or 25 NBA teams can be pretty sure what you are and when you need to plug someone in your roster you'd rather have someone with tangible skills, there always are guys like that floating around.

This system just constricts borderline players while not really solving any problems teams have now. The current D-League with two-way contracts seems like a much better solution for everyone.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Paul Zuvella posted:

No Obama in the celebrity game?

loving shameful.

It wouldn't be fair; everyone would be afraid to body up on him. Can you imagine if he caught an elbow to the jaw while contesting a board?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Ibaka just did a presser for his arrival in Toronto. Dude looked pretty unhappy and was all bundled up indoors, lol. Hopefully he plays tonight.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

Lebron James threw a ball in to a defender's leg and got a lucky bounce and everyone in this thread is jizzing themselves. What is happening.

It was the culmination of a sequence of perfect passes. The highlight alone doesn't do it justice.

OzFactor posted:

I'm not convinced LeBron intended the pass to go through Wiggins's legs but only LeBron rifles passes at the kind of speed necessary for it to actually work. Meaning even if it wasn't intentional it's still something only LeBron could have done. Manu would have aimed between the legs, ending in adorable failure.

No, Manu would have thrown it between the legs of a sprinting defender, catching him in stride. Also he would have tried it in the Finals and it would have worked. Why I say this?--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoPkUAGYiQ

here's me watchin' the nba: https://i.imgur.com/rrTG5O4.gifv

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Master P AND Lil Romeo in the celebrity game?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Warriors must win their next 27 games to reach 73 wins.

Trump declares Mark Cuban is ‘not smart enough to run for president.’
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-declares-mark-cuban-is-not-smart-enough-to-run-for-president-151829149.html

Spacebump posted:

AI was better than IT, this Celtics team has multiple people who would be the second best scorer on AI's finals team. It's easier to have bad percentages when everyone in the world knows your team only has 1 true offensive threat.

Spacebump posted:

People that think AI is bad, do you honestly believe his Finals Sixers team would do better if you replaced him with someone like Steve Nash or Isaiah Thomas?

Even accounting for the Celtics being a better offensive team IT is producing a higher level of their offensive production. IT has a legitimate shot at being the #1 scorer in the entire league this year (if KD slows down after GSW secures the #1 seed).

Many of the great scorers in NBA/ABA history put up their best seasons while playing on bad/average offensive teams:

1984 Adrian Dantley, Late 80s-early 90s Charles Barkley, Late 80s Jordan/Malone, 1990 Chris Mullin, 1991 David Robinson, 1984 Bernard King, 1990 Ewing, 1984 Jeff Ruland to name a few.

When 2-3 great shooters team up they can take nights off so their season production declines. e.g. KD and Curry together this year may form the strongest O duo ever (on possibly the strongest offensive team) but neither will have their greatest individual scoring seasons.

Nash/IT aren't good enough to go against Shaq in the 2000-2002 years.

Lockback posted:

Why would they hold out Simmons? If you think this is a stealth tank, holding out Simmons would do the opposite. He's a ball-dominant point forward who needs to get used to NBA speed and no shot to fall back on. They'd lose be worse this year with him in the lineup.

That's the stealth tank strategy for next year.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I enjoy the current Ben Simmons conspiracy theory that he's not playing this year because he has bonuses with Nike for winning Rookie of the Year and making the All-Rookie team.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
No Limit $ouljas v. idk Cash Money Millionaires as a special all star event or something lets do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsxl39gOwkA

v.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgV8QLA9pk

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
New Orleans doesn't have the strongest rap scene, unfortunately.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Here's a five and a half minutes nutmeg collection but it's heavily padded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AvZQzj7CA

I'm starting a rumor that Melo is getting traded to Chicago to play with Wade. Hopefully we can get Butler from the deal, but it'll likely be Rondo instead.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jota posted:

I enjoy the current Ben Simmons conspiracy theory that he's not playing this year because he has bonuses with Nike for winning Rookie of the Year and making the All-Rookie team.

sounds legit.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

How many games does Yogi need to play for the Mavs for his play not to be considered a fluke? 20? 30?

1,500 minutes would be a good first step.

chunkles posted:

Also without anyone noticing they've crept up to be the #11 defense in the NBA. If they hang on around there it'll actually be the second best Rockets defense in the Harden era (first being the Dwight WCF team at #8).

Decent DRtg but their D FG% of 46% is still a big problem.

Reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMH5i_P42o

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Jota posted:

Like I said Rich Paul.

But wait a minute...

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/831976466137112591

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Here's the deal: it's a REAL rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

kyle wiltjer is being mentored by anderson in the ways of being an unathletic white 3 point shooter. pay attention young padawan

• Locked thread