Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, everyone I know who's tried to get either console has only gotten as far as the go to checkout button before the site takes a dump. I wonder how many are just getting snatched up by bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1327310830220701696

cant wait to go back and run pierre out of business

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Power supply turned up today, so it's back to grinding Xcom: Gears for a while.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

B-Wings and TIE Defenders are coming to Star Wars: Squadrons, along with a pile of other changes up to the end of this year.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/s...sLocalized=true

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

B-Wings and TIE Defenders are coming to Star Wars: Squadrons, along with a pile of other changes up to the end of this year.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/s...sLocalized=true

Gimme that B wing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

Gimme that B wing

b wing bros

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm just sad that they're not going to do any more support for the game because "we couldn't figure out how to scam you with lootboxes, so we're just not going to do anything and let the game shrivel up and die"

Is the server software at least available, or is it one of those things where when EA decides that they're not making enough money on box sales they're just gonna cut it off entirely?

E: why would I even think EA would publish server software for people to host their own games a la BF1942, Counter Strike, TF2, etc. They'd never do that because it doesn't make them money.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 20, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I feel quite justified in making GBS threads on EA's Star Wars entries when this is the poo poo they do

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you haven't noticed already, epic games is giving away elite dangerous until November 26th, if you want some space trucker action.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if you want to actually install that cancer of a distribution service

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ded posted:

if you want to actually install that cancer of a distribution service

Easy there, Bull Connor. What do you have against civil rights

https://www.businessinsider.com/epic-games-tim-sweeney-fight-with-apple-civil-rights-struggle-2020-11

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:wtc:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I just want a remastered version of Need for Speed Underground 2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I see those memes are making it to Germany as well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just want a remastered version of Need for Speed Underground 2

NFS Heat is pretty good. Racing during the day is fairly safe, earns lots of cash, and you won't get chased by cops, but your rep gain is small, night racing can be extremely risky since the cops absolutely do not gently caress around and will happily take your entire wallet, but it's the quickest way to get rep in order to unlock upgrades so that you can spend your cash on them.

Still kinda bummed they teased an NFS underground remaster and then just went lol no

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 21, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

NFS Heat is pretty good. Racing during the day is fairly safe, earns lots of cash, and you won't get chased by cops, but your rep gain is small, night racing can be extremely risky since the cops absolutely do not gently caress around and will happily take your entire wallet, but it's the quickest way to get rep in order to unlock upgrades so that you can spend your cash on them.

That does look pretty cool, I'm surprised I didn't come across it while googling. Then again, there are almost 30 titles in the franchise now, and the only ones google put remotely close to NFSUG 2 were the 2015 version and I think Payback.
I don't really care too much about a story, to be honest. All I want is a shitton of modding and tuning my poo poo, doing open world cruising and racing, and running from cops.

/edit: Jeeeesus christ, it's 70 bucks

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That does look pretty cool, I'm surprised I didn't come across it while googling. Then again, there are almost 30 titles in the franchise now, and the only ones google put remotely close to NFSUG 2 were the 2015 version and I think Payback.
I don't really care too much about a story, to be honest. All I want is a shitton of modding and tuning my poo poo, doing open world cruising and racing, and running from cops.

/edit: Jeeeesus christ, it's 70 bucks

I got it via EA Play or whatever their yearly thing that gives you access to like 85% of EA's back catalog, I wasn't going to pay $70 USD for it, so I paid $29 USD and got more games to gently caress with. Odds are I'll wring all the fun out of NFS Heat I want inside of a year, and other games are a bonus.

Games as a service (outside of MMOs) is a terrible idea, but the alternative is paying eye-bleeding prices for games like NFS Heat.

TimeToBeat has the main story listed as 12.5 hours of gameplay, with most players taking around 20 hours to beat it and whatever the site considers "extra content", with a 45 hour "Completionist" rating, which is probably the fastest possible 100%. I'm taking my time goofing around in the game, tuning cars, doing drift trials and poo poo, and had a good time so far. Cops are very scary and will gently caress you up until you get to a minimum of Rank 15 so you can equip modules that allow you to actually crash cop cars when they're chasing you.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 21, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

I got it via EA Play or whatever their yearly thing that gives you access to like 85% of EA's back catalog, I wasn't going to pay $70 USD for it, so I paid $29 USD and got more games to gently caress with. Odds are I'll wring all the fun out of NFS Heat I want inside of a year, and other games are a bonus.

Games as a service (outside of MMOs) is a terrible idea, but the alternative is paying eye-bleeding prices for games like NFS Heat.

TimeToBeat has the main story listed as 12.5 hours of gameplay, with most players taking around 20 hours to beat it and whatever the site considers "extra content", with a 45 hour "Completionist" rating, which is probably the fastest possible 100%. I'm taking my time goofing around in the game, tuning cars, doing drift trials and poo poo, and had a good time so far. Cops are very scary and will gently caress you up until you get to a minimum of Rank 15 so you can equip modules that allow you to actually crash cop cars when they're chasing you.

Yeah, there appears to be a 3,99/month or 24/99/12 months EA play deal, I might go for the latter and then just put the game on my wishlist for when it dips in price, I guess?
Still feels kinda lovely to only own a game temporarily

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It sucks, but the increase in game price hasnt even come close to keeping up with inflation. Games were whatever the equivalent of 59 USD was in 1995(not sure if the Eurozone and the Euro were established at the time), and that amount of money doesn't go nearly as far anymore (which is why you're seeing increasing amounts of "deluxe" editions and ultimate editions of games for 79 and 99 Euros). The only games that are close to those old prices anymore are indie titles, and "value" titles like Star Wars Squadrons where they had to be beaten over the head to provide a complete game, AAA poo poo has well and truly abandoned the 59,99 price point.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 21, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yup, I remember snes games costing $60
back in the day. It's kinda crazy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

chrono trigger was like $70 or $80

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Games make far more money than they ever did in the 90s and reach a much larger market. It’s not a simple comparison, imo. There’s a lot of waste, excess, and greed in the AAA industry so it’s hard to buy any arguments they make to increase prices.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 21, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Fallom posted:

Games make far more money than they ever did in the 90s and reach a much larger market. It’s not a simple comparison.

plus digital games don't have shipping or packaging costs for the sale

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

EA posted over $4bn in revenue and over $2.5bn of net income in 2019. Their CEO gets over $35 mil in compensation.

When people say video game prices need to go up, they’re robbing the wrong people. It’s more capitalism gaslighting.

Pay devs more and release full games. Keep DLC and scrap microtransactions. You’ll probably cut EA’s revenue by a quarter, but they can loving afford it.

(EA is the video game evil empire that’s why they are where my focus is, but it’s similar with other large AAA studios.)

Woofer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 21, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Games just cost too much to make these days!"

*pays a fortune for a celebrity voice actor and scraps all their lines*

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I would rather pay an indie dev $60 for a bad game that required a lot of effort to make than give EA a dime.

Madden 21 still had assets from Madden 19 ffs. I don’t mean assets like the grass, I mean poo poo that still said Madden 19 on it!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
EAs' game service is on xbox gamepass now.

I kinda want to run through a bunch of their games for achievements, but honestly, EA hasn't made anything I want to play in literal years.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 21, 2020

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Fallom posted:

"Games just cost too much to make these days!"

*pays a fortune for a celebrity voice actor and scraps all their lines*

The Destiny/Peter Dinklage thing is the funniest example of this.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've been supporting Raymond Doerr of "Rise to Ruins"-fame for almost two years now, because his story in game development has impressed me even more than that of Stardew Valley.
A single guy designing / coding the probably best god-game contender of recent history since the decline of the Bullfrog/Lionshead era, and improving it continuously for several years is just a wunderbar story.

I think my surprise at the price tag of NFS Heat probably stems from my personal "consumption" behavior regarding games over the last 10 years. I think the only triple-A titles I bought since 2008 or so were Doom and GTA V, so seeing a game in what I thought to be an abandoned niche genre like NFS costing 70 bucks really threw me off.
Then again, I also didn't know there are now almost THIRTY loving titles in the NFS franchise, so it seems the whole thing has been a massive cash cow despite me losing interest after NFSUG 2

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If EA had stuck with the Burnout franchise, it'd be another cash cow.

I will literally buy Burnout Paradise again for the PS5.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Rise to Ruins guy seems....pleasant

https://twitter.com/RaymondDoerr/status/1330001587381657600

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Oh no, not my packages!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Game developer hasn’t seen package in a year? Seems par for course.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've based my opinion on him entirely on what I've seen from his game development communication, and the guy's been someone that has always kept the community in the back of his mind (there's actually a change in the game based on what I bugged him about on Twitter in 2018).
Guess he can get all irrationally emotional about package delivery as I've been in the past.

(except I'd get angry about it and then calm down over time and not call for people being fired in the heat of the moment on a platform where I can broadcast to a whole lot of people, welp)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

If EA had stuck with the Burnout franchise, it'd be another cash cow.

I will literally buy Burnout Paradise again for the PS5.

im waiting on a switch sale but this for sure, they were great games

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the year is 2020 and people still play EA games lol

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

EA is re-releasing the Mass Effect trilogy and stripped out the only playable part of ME3 (the multiplayer) despite supporting the original with constant free updates for a good couple of years after release.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Internet Wizard posted:

EA is re-releasing the Mass Effect trilogy and stripped out the only playable part of ME3 (the multiplayer) despite supporting the original with constant free updates for a good couple of years after release.

It will sell one-gazillion copies, too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Has there ever been any kind of successor to Destruction Derby? Burnout I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

Wait what? No multiplayer? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. I was going to buy it but nevermind.