Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

goku chewbacca posted:

The S5 can't be domestic SIM unlocked. Only the S6 and newer.
https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Yes for question two. Porting the number will cancel your line. It won't cancel your other lines.

Will they provide an MSL if I pay the ETF?

EDIT: Went ahead and called Sprint and then Tmobile; this will work.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Triikan posted:

Will they provide an MSL if I pay the ETF?

EDIT: Went ahead and called Sprint and then Tmobile; this will work

You sure about that? Please share how you can unlock the SIM slot with the MSL code.

My understanding is that the MSL will allow you to manually program or "flash" the phone to another CDMA carriers like...well MetroPCS and Cricket are now GSM MVNOs, but I'm sure there's some regional ones out there.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

goku chewbacca posted:

You sure about that? Please share how you can unlock the SIM slot with the MSL code.

My understanding is that the MSL will allow you to manually program or "flash" the phone to another CDMA carriers like...well MetroPCS and Cricket are now GSM MVNOs, but I'm sure there's some regional ones out there.

All or most LTE phones are compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks. Its just cheaper to make one Samsung S5 model and sell it to both ATT/Tmobile and Sprint/Verizon. With the MSL code, Tmobile can activate an S5 with a Tmobile SIM in it.

EDIT: What the tmobile rep told me was that as long as the phone was listed on the Tmobile website as compatible (it is, asks for the carrier you're coming from and model), and I could get the MSL, it would activate.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 23, 2015

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Looks like Sprint has a preview of the Black Friday deals on their site.
I am still on SERO and was hoping to get an S6 out of it at least to replace my S4. And yes, I am eligible for an upgrade right now. Just wanted to see if there was a sweeter deal before I pull the trigger.
I know the S7 can't be far. Hold out longer?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Imaginos posted:

I am still on SERO and was hoping to get an S6 out of it at least to replace my S4. And yes, I am eligible for an upgrade right now. Just wanted to see if there was a sweeter deal before I pull the trigger.

S7 will be out in March, probably.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Imaginos posted:

I'd wait until spring for the S7 unless there's a killer Black Friday deal. It's just too close to settle for less without a real reason. $0.02.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

While I realize Sprint is under no sort of obligation to do so, it seems like pissing all over the existing customer base is a good way to ensure that you keep on hemorrhaging customers to everyone else. At the end of the year I'm making two of my family plan lines no longer my problem, and the one I'm keeping is getting the gently caress off of Sprint (at least directly). Can't decide between Ting and Cricket for that one.
A year ago I moved, had zero service at my new house even outside and Sprint refused to give me whatever they call their mini cell tower thing. I told them I would leave, no care. 6 years I was with Sprint.

Moved to at&t through a local provider, and have enjoyed watching the ship sink ever since.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Triikan posted:

All or most LTE phones are compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks. Its just cheaper to make one Samsung S5 model and sell it to both ATT/Tmobile and Sprint/Verizon. With the MSL code, Tmobile can activate an S5 with a Tmobile SIM in it.

EDIT: What the tmobile rep told me was that as long as the phone was listed on the Tmobile website as compatible (it is, asks for the carrier you're coming from and model), and I could get the MSL, it would activate.

You'll get better advice here than you'll ever get from a sales or service rep.

You're first paragraph is incorrect. American carriers, and especially Sprint, are still getting special snowflakes made for them. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that Sprint was getting their LTE phones made with internally hardwired, non-swappable SIMs. Even today, many of Sprint's Android phones aren't using CSIM activation and require that the device MEID be manually added and tied to the SIM ICCID for activation.

An MSL code is not the same thing as a SIM unlock code, which most phones don't use these days. Instead, most are tailored for carriers to be unlockable on the back end by the carrier and/or the manufacturer. Googling tells me that Sprint's S5 is a special snowflake that uses Over-the-Air programming and unlocking.

The phone may be compatible with a GSM carrier, but you need the SIM slot unlocked. The only Sprint LTE phones released before Feb 2015 that are fully SIM-unlockable for domestic carriers are iPhones. You won't get an OFFICIAL domestic SIM unlock from Sprint. Sprint had phones like the Galaxies designed to be International SIM-unlockable only.

Googling tells me that there may be some home brewed SprintUnlock.apk that can unlock some of Sprint's Android phones, but they may require root. I also saw a search result saying that the S5 modem baseband is hard locked to prevent rolling it back or unlocking for domestic SIMs and that only international unlocking was possible.

Assuming you manage to unlock it, the specs show that the Sprint S5 supports LTE bands 25, 26, and 41. Most of T-Mobile LTE is on band 4 and 12 with some on Band 2. Your Sprint S5 MAY connect to their 1900 MHz Band 2 where it exists, since its a subset of Band 25. May. You'll spend most or all of your time on 3G.

Sell it and get a compatible phone if you still want to switch to T-Mobile.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

angryrobots posted:

A year ago I moved, had zero service at my new house even outside and Sprint refused to give me whatever they call their mini cell tower thing. I told them I would leave, no care. 6 years I was with Sprint.

You made the right choice, but you probably should have tried a couple more times with different phone reps. They gave me one on my first try around the same time you tried.

edit: I hope you weren't trying in a store, because the stores have nothing to do with the Airaves.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is this really still a thing outside of SERO/EPRP? They can't possibly sell a single device that uses data but doesn't have 4G capabilities.

edit: and taxes are dependent on the state, and sometimes even the city, and also the amount of the bill.

No, not on metered plans

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Sprint gave me the run around for weeks before they actually sent me an airrave when I told them that there was someone actively looking for work (she had just moved) and needed service to contact potential employers. 3 separate reps insisted they put the order in when the 4th rep told me that there was no such order whatsoever and that he'd be happy to finally put it through. Then after a year I get a lovely charge on my bill for not returning said airrave... while I was still using it. gently caress sprint and their "customer" service.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You made the right choice, but you probably should have tried a couple more times with different phone reps. They gave me one on my first try around the same time you tried.

edit: I hope you weren't trying in a store, because the stores have nothing to do with the Airaves.
No this was the employee accounts phone line, or whoever you called with SERO. I called at least twice. Part of the rub was that according to their map, I should have service. I looked at the service map, and it placed my address about a mile away from the actual location. I told them this, didn't matter.

AT&T bought out my contract, and gave me a microcell.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

goku chewbacca posted:

You'll get better advice here than you'll ever get from a sales or service rep.

You're first paragraph is incorrect. American carriers, and especially Sprint, are still getting special snowflakes made for them. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that Sprint was getting their LTE phones made with internally hardwired, non-swappable SIMs. Even today, many of Sprint's Android phones aren't using CSIM activation and require that the device MEID be manually added and tied to the SIM ICCID for activation.

An MSL code is not the same thing as a SIM unlock code, which most phones don't use these days. Instead, most are tailored for carriers to be unlockable on the back end by the carrier and/or the manufacturer. Googling tells me that Sprint's S5 is a special snowflake that uses Over-the-Air programming and unlocking.

The phone may be compatible with a GSM carrier, but you need the SIM slot unlocked. The only Sprint LTE phones released before Feb 2015 that are fully SIM-unlockable for domestic carriers are iPhones. You won't get an OFFICIAL domestic SIM unlock from Sprint. Sprint had phones like the Galaxies designed to be International SIM-unlockable only.

Googling tells me that there may be some home brewed SprintUnlock.apk that can unlock some of Sprint's Android phones, but they may require root. I also saw a search result saying that the S5 modem baseband is hard locked to prevent rolling it back or unlocking for domestic SIMs and that only international unlocking was possible.

Assuming you manage to unlock it, the specs show that the Sprint S5 supports LTE bands 25, 26, and 41. Most of T-Mobile LTE is on band 4 and 12 with some on Band 2. Your Sprint S5 MAY connect to their 1900 MHz Band 2 where it exists, since its a subset of Band 25. May. You'll spend most or all of your time on 3G.

Sell it and get a compatible phone if you still want to switch to T-Mobile.

Not quite true, Any Nexus phone is fully unlocked and even works on European and Russian Carriers. That's why Sprint does everything they can to prevent you from buying one. They don't stock them in any brick and mortar store. You have to order it online and they usually wait until 6 to 12 months after it's released to put it available online. I ordered my Nexus 5 directly from Google and had Sprint send me a SIM card. So glad I ditched them.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Darkpriest667 posted:

Not quite true, Any Nexus phone is fully unlocked and even works on European and Russian Carriers. That's why Sprint does everything they can to prevent you from buying one. They don't stock them in any brick and mortar store. You have to order it online and they usually wait until 6 to 12 months after it's released to put it available online. I ordered my Nexus 5 directly from Google and had Sprint send me a SIM card. So glad I ditched them.

Actually we dont stock them because Nexus owners are literally the worst.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Infidel Castro posted:

Fi's mobile data operates on both Sprint and T-Mobile networks and auto selects the best one (assuming it can't find an open WiFi network). It's pretty great. On Sprint I could only get mediocre 3G at work, but right now I'm on a solid 4G connection (which I would assume is a T-Mo signal).

Does the phone automatically connect to open guest wifi access points (where you have to accept some terms, like Starbucks or AT&T hotspots) without making you go through that song and dance? Or does it just connect to truly open hotspots? It's an interesting model, but I'm really curious how effective its "we pick the best available wireless connection" thing really is.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I have a contract up for renewal now, and have a GS4 I am perfectly happy with.

What is my best approach for getting a GS6 or Note5 with Sprint at the cheapest price?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What kind of plan are you on?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Wilford Cutlery posted:

What kind of plan are you on?

It's been many years. I have a family unlimited data + 1500 mins plan that i split across me, my wife and our nanny.

We consistently go over on minutes and expensee them through our companies but Sprint hasn't done anything nice for us in years.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I ordered a Nexus 5X to replace my wife's hinky N5. Can I just cut down the SIM and swap it over? Or do they need the MEID of the new phone? Would it be less of a hassle to just chat with support and order a new micro SIM?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You can cut the SIM down and activate the new phone on the website. You can't do a simple SIM swap by itself - Sprint doesn't support that for its CDMA services.

Yeah, it probably would be less of a hassle to just order a new micro SIM.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

jbusbysack posted:

I have a contract up for renewal now, and have a GS4 I am perfectly happy with.

What is my best approach for getting a GS6 or Note5 with Sprint at the cheapest price?

Best Buy has the 32GB GS6 for $1 and Note 5 for $49.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

td4guy posted:

You can cut the SIM down and activate the new phone on the website. You can't do a simple SIM swap by itself - Sprint doesn't support that for its CDMA services.

Yeah, it probably would be less of a hassle to just order a new micro SIM.

It's highly unlikely that your existing SIM will work, Sprint has dozens of versions, and only one works with the new Nexus'. I tried several, and ended up ordering one from international support. If you Google "Sprint nexus 6P SIM", you'll find the info.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know if any Sprint stores still carry the Note 4 or why Sprint pulled it so quickly compared to other older models?

I'm on SERO and way overdue for a new phone. Despite it's age, the Note 4 had everything I wanted compared to new models. The Note 5 doesn't have some of the Note 4's features that I want either.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

lazydog posted:

This is awesome. You are awesome.

Thanks!

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

lazydog posted:

I'm on SERO. Any way I can get that GS6?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

No. 9 posted:

Does anyone know if any Sprint stores still carry the Note 4 or why Sprint pulled it so quickly compared to other older models?

I'm on SERO and way overdue for a new phone. Despite it's age, the Note 4 had everything I wanted compared to new models. The Note 5 doesn't have some of the Note 4's features that I want either.

Note 4 went End of Life due to some hardware issues.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

It's highly unlikely that your existing SIM will work, Sprint has dozens of versions, and only one works with the new Nexus'. I tried several, and ended up ordering one from international support. If you Google "Sprint nexus 6P SIM", you'll find the info.

Cool, I just ordered one via chat without issue. Thanks!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Imaginos posted:

I'm on SERO. Any way I can get that GS6?
No, you can't buy subsidized phones from 3rd party merchants. You instead save money every month on your bill with an awesome plan. So take that money and spend spend spend!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Krime posted:

Fuckin' :laffo:

LTE, eh?

I love the ad, too.

Mine fails the latency test so the test doesn't even run.
I'm in downtown Davenport too...

3G works though when I disable LTE

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I recently learned that Cricket throttles your 4G down to 128Kbps once you are over the data limit. I'm going to think about this some more before I make the jump. Maybe Sprint will make this decision easier by doing something self destructive soon.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I mean, that's better than charging you out the rear end or turning it off outright. Once you figure out your average usage, just pick the plan that gets you closest.

Besides, 128? That's not a far distance from Sprint at full speed anyhow :rimshot:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

moolchaba posted:

I recently learned that Cricket throttles your 4G down to 128Kbps once you are over the data limit. I'm going to think about this some more before I make the jump. Maybe Sprint will make this decision easier by doing something self destructive soon.

How is this a bad thing?

edit: and unless they fixed something recently, you can change to a lower-tier plan then immediately change back (once per billing period) and it resets your data usage.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ryanbruce posted:

Besides, 128? That's not a far distance from Sprint at full speed anyhow :rimshot:

this is painfully true

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I must be in the absolute best area for Sprint because I reliably get 3+MB down and around 1MB up. Two years ago it was much much worse. Maybe people jumping ship is leading to less congestion....silver linings!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ryanbruce posted:

Maybe, someday, Sprint will be able to dream of speeds that high.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
That's what I don't get about Sprint customers that say they pull down over 20 GB a month. Even if there were enough data hungry things I wanted to do with my smartphone, there's no way that's happening with the dogshit speeds I see around here.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LorneReams posted:

I must be in the absolute best area for Sprint because I reliably get 3+MB down and around 1MB up. Two years ago it was much much worse. Maybe people jumping ship is leading to less congestion....silver linings!

Yeah my last speed test I got 10 down and 10 up. My LTE is almost as fast as my home internet. I'm in the lucky area I guess.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

utonium posted:

That's what I don't get about Sprint customers that say they pull down over 20 GB a month. Even if there were enough data hungry things I wanted to do with my smartphone, there's no way that's happening with the dogshit speeds I see around here.

What you don't get is that they don't live near you.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How is this a bad thing?

128k is like first generation ISDN. You wouldn't be able to stream any video on that.

I was under the impression that Cricket knocked you back to HSPA+ when you went over your data limit, which would have been fine for streaming video and faster than Sprint LTE in some cases.

Right now I have unlimited data and a fairly decent Sprint LTE setup in the local area, so I'll hold off a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

moolchaba posted:

128k is like first generation ISDN. You wouldn't be able to stream any video on that.

I was under the impression that Cricket knocked you back to HSPA+ when you went over your data limit, which would have been fine for streaming video and faster than Sprint LTE in some cases.

Right now I have unlimited data and a fairly decent Sprint LTE setup in the local area, so I'll hold off a bit longer.

Alright, so now I'm curious. What do you pay monthly on Sprint, and what's your average monthly usage? What's your peak?