Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What does this mean?

WG means Wai-Gua (hack software in Chinese), Qun means their QQ chatgroup, the following number is how to contact them.
You will also meet ID like "QQ-qun", "KJ-qun (Ke-Ji, an alternative way to say hack)"

They are incredibly transparent hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is Fortnite as glitchy and weird as pubg?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

lohli posted:

If they did anything to protect themselves they would not be whining about it in press releases or over twitter, but would be taking them to court or at least talking directly to epic about a breach of contract.

I work as a paralegal and deal with contract disputes all the time, and I can tell you that a CEO publicly bitching doesn't necessarily mean they did nothing to protect themselves legally. Sometimes people get frustrated, pop off, and then lawyers have to reel them back and tell them it's in their best interest to shut the gently caress up.

You and Vulgar may be right and they didn't do anything, but saying unequivocally that they didn't protect themselves, or that they aren't working with Epic to determine their legal position, because of a couple of artless statements by Bluehole's CEO isn't accurate.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 5, 2017

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

lohli posted:

If they did anything to protect themselves they would not be whining about it in press releases or over twitter, but would be taking them to court or at least talking directly to epic about a breach of contract.

Both Epic and Bluehole come out of this looking bad for different reasons.

I think this was posted here earlier, but here's an Unreal Engine blogpost about the engine improvements that have come about from developing fortnite:
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-improvements-for-fortnite-battle-royale

It is definitely pretty scummy for epic to rip off the game in the way they seem to be, but on the other hand it is really really dumb for Bluehole to expect that Epic would work on making improvements to the engine specifically geared around all the challenges that really high playercounts bring and not make use of things themselves, if for no other reason than to better develop the engine for the sorts of large open map multiplayer games that have been popular for a while now, some of which are already on UE4(PUBG and ARK). Which isn't to say that I think Fornite Battle Royale was an entirely practical and largely charitable effort that only accidentally competes with PUBG too well, I don't doubt that they ripped off PUBG very deliberately because it was popular, but I don't think they intended to steal it's thunder by being so popular and beating it to consoles in quite the way they did.

What is the arbitrary cut off for when Epic can make a Battle Royale game using the optimizations they made to their own engine without being "scummy"? Is it a month, a year..?

This is the ONLY claim Bluehole has on Epic releasing a BR mode. If this ever makes it to court, and it very likely won't, it will come down to whatever the judge decides is an appropriate amount of time to wait until Epic can use their own engine features.

FAUXTON posted:

Is Fortnite as glitchy and weird as pubg?

No.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 5, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Stealthgerbil posted:

I really hope the tournaments are in 1pp mode because watching two idiots hide behind their trees at the end of the game was really boring to watch.

Counterpoint: 1pp is boring as gently caress to watch because people are just prone crawling to each other.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's sort of fundamentally a conflict of interest to both sell a game engine and make and sell games and, in other industries, it'd be enough to make people avoid the product.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Counterpoint: 1pp is boring as gently caress to watch because people are just prone crawling to each other.

I play exclusively FPP and rarely ever prone, nor do I see my squadmates doing it particularly often. Unless you're in one of those fields with heavy ground cover it's usually more of a risk than a benefit because you're a slower target. I can't imagine this being a problem.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Sweet, I don't have to go to the steam thread anymore to read goons pretending at business.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

The top people on twitch who play in those things never really prone. They use 1pp to flank and push and it does end up being more enjoyable to watch them play. Lots of shots to get someone to duck, then pushing positions. Regular 1pp games yeah maybe, but not "top levels" that I've watched.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

There's a poo poo ton of irony in this post considering 3pp is "who can stay crouched behind a wall the longest" in game form.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I've played a shitload of FPP games and proning really isn't prevalent in my experience. Across the board, it hasn't been ever since they changed the thing where you can't move while using medical supplies, but in FPP it's really rare (and bad). I've gone entire games without proning and without seeing anyone else do it. The only time anyone decent really uses it is when it breaks LoS where crouching or standing up would not and even then it's usually only briefly. Admittedly, that use is fairly common but also predicated upon being in a firefight which I wouldn't say are boring as gently caress to watch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

PubG is one of the only games I've found that going prone is useful aside from using a bipod. It's hard to explain but player models blend in much more with the actual terrain more so than other titles where you see a distinct difference.

I exclusively play 1FPP and most of the end games end up with quite a bit of time spent prone.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

TJChap2840 posted:

What is the arbitrary cut off for when Epic can make a Battle Royale game using the optimizations they made to their own engine without being "scummy"? Is it a month, a year..?

This is half of the problem, but wherever people would draw the line for arbitrary dates, I think shoehorning BR into a newly released game that people are somewhat disappointed in as it's clear that an early access BR game is a hit and beating it to the console market is going to be firmly on the scummy side to the vast majority of people.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I work as a paralegal and deal with contract disputes all the time, and I can tell you that a CEO publicly bitching doesn't necessarily mean they did nothing to protect themselves legally. Sometimes people get frustrated, pop off, and then lawyers have to reel them back and tell them it's in their best interest to shut the gently caress up.

You and Vulgar may be right and they didn't do anything, but saying unequivocally that they didn't protect themselves, or that they aren't working with Epic to determine their legal position, because of a couple of artless statements by Bluehole's CEO isn't accurate.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-clarifies-objection-to-fortnite-battle-royale-its-not-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/

The TL:DR is that part of what their gripe is is that the company they are paying substantial sums of money to in royalties for use of the engine is now releasing a competing product, and another is that their position on this sort of thing is that you shouldn't just rip off people's ideas, citing how Brendan Greene(Player Unknown) licensed his fleshed out gamemode idea to the H1Z1 devs, and when bluehole were looking to do the same thing they went further and flew him out to korea to hire him as the creative director.

But they're not suing them, they just think Epic is behaving unreasonably and are trying to talk to them about it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

[quote="“lohli”" post="“477077486”"]
I think this was posted here earlier, but here’s an Unreal Engine blogpost about the engine improvements that have come about from developing fortnite:
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-improvements-for-fortnite-battle-royale
[/quote]

Any idea how soon these will be pushed out to PubG?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

lohli posted:

This is half of the problem, but wherever people would draw the line for arbitrary dates, I think shoehorning BR into a newly released game that people are somewhat disappointed in as it's clear that an early access BR game is a hit and beating it to the console market is going to be firmly on the scummy side to the vast majority of people.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-clarifies-objection-to-fortnite-battle-royale-its-not-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/

The TL:DR is that part of what their gripe is is that the company they are paying substantial sums of money to in royalties for use of the engine is now releasing a competing product, and another is that their position on this sort of thing is that you shouldn't just rip off people's ideas, citing how Brendan Greene(Player Unknown) licensed his fleshed out gamemode idea to the H1Z1 devs, and when bluehole were looking to do the same thing they went further and flew him out to korea to hire him as the creative director.

But they're not suing them, they just think Epic is behaving unreasonably and are trying to talk to them about it.

Bluehole is trying to make it sound like this "license" is an industry standard thing, when in fact its not common at all and Battle Royale is a completely indefensible game mode. PU was hired to work on both PUBG and H1Z1, and probably worked out a performance based incentive structure on both, and that is the "license." No one else is paying a "license", not GTA 5, not The Culling, not Last Man Standing. The fact that the game is called PUBG, not simply "Battle Royale" should be an indicator that they don't have any particular IP.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

lohli posted:

That guy sure knows how to talk in circles.

"C.H. Kim posted:

This is not about the battle game mode itself.....but it was Epic Games that made this game that is similar to us that has similar elements

The only elements of Fortnite BR that he would he would have any reason to complain about are directly related to the game mode itself. If he isn't taking issue with the game mode, then all that's left is him taking issue with Epic using "elements" that are used in essentially every FPS ever.

He specifically mentions GTA 5's BR mode...Let's see what it has..

• Parachuting onto the map..check
  • Looting for weapons...check
  • Finding vehicles...check
  • Open map concept...check
  • Shrinking play zone..check
  • Trying to be the last squad alive...check

This entire thing stems from the fact that Bluehole feels like the Battle Royale concept is theirs. Which stems from the fact that their game is very clearly the most popular version of genre.

If Bluehole made generic FPS #15 and that game required engine optimizations, would Bluehole have any issue with Epic making an FPS? I don't think so, because they know the community would laugh right in their face. Bluehole is attempting to take advantage of the lack of knowledge on the history of the BR genre.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They're talking about their license to the engine, dude, not an IP.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

flatluigi posted:

They're talking about their license to the engine, dude, not an IP.

Nah, read the article. He says

quote:

You know that Daybreak Games actually licensed this game idea and worked with [PlayerUnknown] to develop their game mode and Bluehole did license his idea as well

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

[quote="“flatluigi”" post="“477082631”"]
They’re talking about their license to the engine, dude, not an IP.
[/quote]

PU admittedly couldn't program his way out of a wet paper bag.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They paid PU for his name not his amazing ideas like "uhh you drop and find guns and kill people and there's a circle, how can we make that in 3 months???".

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Bluehole is trying to make it sound like this "license" is an industry standard thing, when in fact its not common at all and Battle Royale is a completely indefensible game mode.

I don't think they are trying to say it's a standard thing in the industry, I think it's a point about having different standards and levels of respect for people and their ideas and feeling like Epic have made a dick move in competing with and undercutting the product of one of their well-paying(hundreds of thousands of dollars in royalties) clients.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

TJChap2840 posted:

This entire thing stems from the fact that Bluehole feels like the Battle Royale concept is theirs. Which stems from the fact that their game is very clearly the most popular version of genre.

No it doesn't. They explained the difference. The issue is not the fact that there are competing BR modes. The issue looks to stem from the fact that they bought the engine license from Epic, hired and worked with Epic personnel to make modifications and refinements to the engine that would accommodate this game mode, and then Epic used these modifications/innovations/refinements that, it would seem Bluehole is alleging, would not have existed but for their development of PUBG, to create the Fortnite BR mode.

It'll come down to the terms of the license and whether or not any code developed for the BR mode is the property of Bluehole or Epic.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Kamikaze Raider posted:

No it doesn't. They explained the difference. The issue is not the fact that there are competing BR modes. The issue looks to stem from the fact that they bought the engine license from Epic, hired and worked with Epic personnel to make modifications and refinements to the engine that would accommodate this game mode, and then Epic used these modifications/innovations/refinements that, it would seem Bluehole is alleging, would not have existed but for their development of PUBG, to create the Fortnite BR mode.

It'll come down to the terms of the license and whether or not any code developed for the BR mode is the property of Bluehole or Epic.

Ya and I brought up a point against it.

Bluehole wouldn't be doing this if they were developing a generic FPS that required engine optimizations because an FPS by itself isn't unique.

Seriously, everybody should reevaluate how they would feel if this genre wasn't the new kid on the block. We wouldn't even be having this discussion. Battle Royale is a very new game type relative to anything else on the market and suddenly, things that have been happening for years and years are now against the rules.

If the outcome of this changes the lay of the land, then that's great, but PUBG is trying to hold on to their game concept and the popularity that came with it. From a business point of view, they are essentially forced to defend their ideas, regardless of having a valid claim. That doesn't make it any less dumb.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 5, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It'd definitely feel a lot less skeezy if it was straight-up a new game from Epic instead of tacked on to a free-to-play game that was nothing like PUBG in any shape or form before the mode got added.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

TJChap2840 posted:

Ya and I brought up a point against it.

Bluehole wouldn't be doing this if they were developing a generic FPS that required engine optimizations because an FPS by itself isn't unique.

It's not a point because they didn't develop a generic FPS, so it's a meaningless statement.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Kamikaze Raider posted:

It's not a point because they didn't develop a generic FPS, so it's a meaningless statement.

It's only a meaningless statement if you think Bluehole "owns" the battle royal concept.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

TJChap2840 posted:

It's only a meaningless statement if you think Bluehole "owns" the battle royal concept.

No, it's really not.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Kamikaze Raider posted:

No, it's really not.

Let me spell it out for you:

CUSTOMER A:
1 million copies sold
Requires Epic to optimize game for performance
Generic Platformer

CUSTOMER B:
1 million copies sold
Generic RTS

What happens when Epic makes an RTS? Nothing

You feel differently about this subject because of the game mode and you even said it yourself.

"It's not an FPS so it is a meaningless statement"

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

TJChap2840 posted:

Let me spell it out for you:

CUSTOMER A:
1 million copies sold
Generic Platformer

CUSTOMER B:
1 million copies sold
Generic RTS

What happens when Epic makes an RTS?

It's not unusual for companies to use subcontractors to help develop or innovate a product. If that subcontractor starts to develop a product substantially similar to the product created by their client, EVEN IF OTHER COMPANIES ALSO MAKE THE SAME PRODUCT, there are going to be legal questions because that subcontractor may have misappropriated their trade secrets to develop said product.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 5, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Why do you keep saying they hired Epic? Is there any proof of that they're paying Epic anything more than their license agreement requires them to do? My understanding is they can ask for improvements and the incentive for Epic is that A) They can clearly use any improvements they make and B) They stand to sell more copies of said licensed game and make more royalties.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why do you keep saying they hired Epic? Is there any proof of that they're paying Epic anything more than their license agreement requires them to do? My understanding is they can ask for improvements and the incentive for Epic is that A) They can clearly use any improvements they make and B) They stand to sell more copies of said licensed game and make more royalties.

I keep saying that because it looks like I misunderstood a statement from the CEO of Bluehole, specifically this:

quote:

So, there's another issue. We're going to get some technical support [from Epic], and we're going to work with them to make sure Unreal Engine better supports battle royale gameplay which requires 100 people in one session, and now we're starting to have concerns that they're going to develop new features or improve something in the engine to support that battle royale gameplay, and then use it for their own game mode.

For some reason my brain shifted that into the past tense, and I thought that they HAD gotten technical support and worked with them on the Unreal engine and their concern was that they were going to use those innovations for Fortnite BR. It doesn't change my statements to TJ, but you are correct, from the way he phrases that, it doesn't look like Bluehole actually hired them for any kind of refinement to the engine.

None of us actually know the details of the agreement between Epic and Bluehole, so all of this discussion is speculative, but you are right. I was mistaken there.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
[quote="“Kamikaze Raider”" post="“477086639”"]
I keep saying that because it looks like I misunderstood a statement from the CEO of Bluehole, specifically this:

For some reason my brain shifted that into the past tense, and I thought that they HAD gotten technical support and worked with them on the Unreal engine and their concern was that they were going to use those innovations for Fortnite BR. It doesn’t change my statements to TJ, but you are correct, from the way he phrases that, it doesn’t look like Bluehole actually hired them for any kind of refinement to the engine.

None of us actually know the details of the agreement between Epic and Bluehole, so all of this discussion is speculative, but you are right. I was mistaken there.
[/quote]

You didn't really make any arguments against what I said. So there is nothing to change. The one argument you made ended up being wrong (at least from the information that is out in the public).

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

TJChap2840 posted:

You didn't really make any arguments against what I said. So there is nothing to change. The one argument you made ended up being wrong (at least from the information that is out in the public).

Whatever you say, dude.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'whatever you say, dude', i dismissively reply to the person who is by all accounts 'correct'

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

'whatever you say, dude', i dismissively reply to the person who is by all accounts 'correct'

I already admitted that I was arguing under an incorrect understanding of the underlying situation, so I don't understand what you want to call me out on?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
mostly your flippancy. i figured that would have been clear based on context.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

mostly your flippancy. i figured that would have been clear based on context.

Glad you're here to police these threads and keep people honest. :)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm getting increasingly concerned about people replicating the look and feel of my lovely posting in this thread.

In actual pubg conversation, I died with 0 kills midgame and watched everyone else in the squad get a dinner. That was pretty sad. I need to practice up. On the plus side I dodged their car and only died to the bullets that followed.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
gently caress holding the bag for corporations who don't give me money to do so for them. I hope Epic takes every bit not bolted down and makes a better BR game and I hope the next company somehow does it twice as hard. e: hack the planet

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ashrik posted:

gently caress holding the bag for corporations who don't give me money to do so for them. I hope Epic takes every bit not bolted down and makes a better BR game and I hope the next company somehow does it twice as hard. e: hack the planet

Yep. BR needs to whine less and code more.

• Locked thread