Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masey
Aug 22, 2006
Pancakes.
Is it okay to ask for advice on a breeder or if anyone has experience with a particular breeder in this thread? After a bit of talking and narrowing down what we want in our dog, we'd be hard pressed to find what we need out of my original desire to have a ABPT rescue and we've narrowed it down to either adopting a Corgi (they are extremely uncommon in my area, and seemingly within 400 miles of me as well) or maybe purchasing one.

The breeder in question is: http://www.humnbirdcorgi.com/index.html
Her kennel looks pretty solid & impressive, and she's relatively close to where I live (within 2 hours by golly!) and I was thinking about stopping by after dropping an inquiry with her. I'm open to second opinions or if anyone wants to help me find a rescue near Morgantown, WV that I may have missed. I'd prefer a pup over an adult or a younger dog as I'm looking for a long term companion & trial partner. Also we have 4 cats, and one is just out of kitten stage, almost 12 weeks old and I feel it'd be easier to socialize a younger dog than an adult with our cats.

Masey fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Plus_Infinity posted:

25-30lbs is too small for a grown cardigan male. Maybe he's a pembroke with a tail? Honestly he looks suuuuper corgi to me, if he's mixed it didn't get through much!

Zeke is ~28lbs, full grown Cardi male. He's got a lighter build than most chunky monkey Cardis... some of them have that look.

Golden-i- I really like the look of your new guy! I almost think his face looks like the same shape as a Jack Russell terrier. The corgi x JRT "hybrid" dog is actually very popular right now.. wouldn't be surprised if he had a little in him. His ears are flopping like that because he didn't get taped as a baby. Both of my corgis needed taping to make sure the ears stayed up as adults. Another corgi friend with a Cardi did not tape, and the corgi's ears mostly flop. Sometimes one will go up, but usually both are down.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Masey posted:

Is it okay to ask for advice on a breeder or if anyone has experience with a particular breeder in this thread? After a bit of talking and narrowing down what we want in our dog, we'd be hard pressed to find what we need out of my original desire to have a ABPT rescue and we've narrowed it down to either adopting a Corgi (they are extremely uncommon in my area, and seemingly within 400 miles of me as well) or maybe purchasing one.

The breeder in question is: http://www.humnbirdcorgi.com/index.html
Her kennel looks pretty solid & impressive, and she's relatively close to where I live (within 2 hours by golly!) and I was thinking about stopping by after dropping an inquiry with her. I'm open to second opinions or if anyone wants to help me find a rescue near Morgantown, WV that I may have missed. I'd prefer a pup over an adult or a younger dog as I'm looking for a long term companion & trial partner. Also we have 4 cats, and one is just out of kitten stage, almost 12 weeks old and I feel it'd be easier to socialize a younger dog than an adult with our cats.

I REALLY like the look of her corgis. She's also very obviously showing them, getting CGC titles on many of them, and is working them. She is having the pet quality dogs neutered, and drat.. those corgis look very much what they are supposed to look like. One of her dogs just won BOB at Westminster, that's amazing. She is also health testing her breeding stock. I say green light on this breeder, her dogs look great!

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Miss Indy posted:

Golden-i- I really like the look of your new guy! I almost think his face looks like the same shape as a Jack Russell terrier. The corgi x JRT "hybrid" dog is actually very popular right now.. wouldn't be surprised if he had a little in him. His ears are flopping like that because he didn't get taped as a baby. Both of my corgis needed taping to make sure the ears stayed up as adults. Another corgi friend with a Cardi did not tape, and the corgi's ears mostly flop. Sometimes one will go up, but usually both are down.

Thanks! Now that you mention it, he does have a lot of the coloring of a JRT.

I've never heard of people taping up their corgi's ears to make them stay up, but I'm glad that wasn't done to this guy - his floppy ears are pretty awesome.

This is probably a better question for the dog training thread, but I've really been trying to teach Tycho to speak on command... the problem is, he's only really barked a few times in the last 4 months. He's a very quiet dog, even when he gets really worked up he just whines and growls a bit, but won't bark. Is this common for corgis? I always thought they were louder dogs. In any case, I want to reinforce the barking with treats + command (in this case, I say "rabble" and he should bark), as how I usually teach him tricks, but I can't get him to bark to begin with no matter what I do.

To be fair though, it's probably better to have a dog that barks too little than too much. In less than 4 months he's already learned almost everything I could teach him (his new name, sit, stay, lie down, roll over, "loose leash walking" from over in the the dog training thread, "cheers," stand up, "flop," and some other stuff).

Corgis are scary smart.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

While it's not likely, he looks like he could have English Shepherd in him.

English Shepherds aren't exactly common, and mostly get mistaken for herder mutts. But dang if he doesn't look like one.

For teaching a dog to speak, you kind of need to capture it to start with. I was gifted with a very vocal dog, so "speak" was one of the first things she ever learned. She used to get reaaaaally excited about the hand touch game (jam your nose into my palm, now jam your nose into my palm OVER HERE!) so she would bark with each repetition. I captured the barking using my hand touch cue (but started to add distance so nose-in-palm wasn't necessary) and re-taught "touch" from scratch, this time without barking.

Sometimes you just have to be resourceful in how you capture new behaviours. Maybe try eliciting barking in the morning, or right when you get home from work, or whenever he's all zoomie and hyper.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Golden-i posted:

Thanks! Now that you mention it, he does have a lot of the coloring of a JRT.

I've never heard of people taping up their corgi's ears to make them stay up, but I'm glad that wasn't done to this guy - his floppy ears are pretty awesome.

This is probably a better question for the dog training thread, but I've really been trying to teach Tycho to speak on command... the problem is, he's only really barked a few times in the last 4 months. He's a very quiet dog, even when he gets really worked up he just whines and growls a bit, but won't bark. Is this common for corgis? I always thought they were louder dogs. In any case, I want to reinforce the barking with treats + command (in this case, I say "rabble" and he should bark), as how I usually teach him tricks, but I can't get him to bark to begin with no matter what I do.

To be fair though, it's probably better to have a dog that barks too little than too much. In less than 4 months he's already learned almost everything I could teach him (his new name, sit, stay, lie down, roll over, "loose leash walking" from over in the the dog training thread, "cheers," stand up, "flop," and some other stuff).

Corgis are scary smart.

He may have been previously trained to NOT bark. Is there something that will surefire cause him to react and vocalize? Like for my dogs, they will bark every time someone knocks on my door. So you could set up a situation that will cause him to bark, capture the bark with clicker-treat when you get it, repeat until he makes the connection (which shouldn't take long).

Though I gotta say, as someone living in a busy condo with 2 corgis, I'd freaking love it if they barked less. I've got a method for stopping them, but it's a lot of work and not 100% reliable.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Weve been teaching Lola a couple of fun little things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39pfppJPbU

Right now the big project is getting her to behave off-leash. Right now she just wants to go off into the world and expects us to just follow her.

Composting Toilet
Oct 24, 2009

MAGGIE:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Golden-i posted:

He was 25lbs when we got him, but he's up to 30 now at our vet's recommendation.

This dog... is freaking cute!

My husband thinks he might have a touch of terrier somewhere, but all I'm seeing is corgi face. Our cardi, Josie, has a brother who's ears weren't taped, and he looks a lot like your little guy.

What an amazing dog to find in a shelter!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

I know it isn't really related to your question, but why does every Corgi breeder's website look the same?

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Miss Indy posted:

He may have been previously trained to NOT bark. Is there something that will surefire cause him to react and vocalize? Like for my dogs, they will bark every time someone knocks on my door. So you could set up a situation that will cause him to bark, capture the bark with clicker-treat when you get it, repeat until he makes the connection (which shouldn't take long).

Though I gotta say, as someone living in a busy condo with 2 corgis, I'd freaking love it if they barked less. I've got a method for stopping them, but it's a lot of work and not 100% reliable.

There's really no way to get him to bark at all, I've heard him maybe a dozen times since February and it's always caught me off guard. Always completely different circumstances, and when we replicate whatever it was he won't bark. A couple times, though, he has barked when really excited or playing... It's really come down to me getting him as riled up as possible while associating it with the command ("Rabble!") and hoping that he barks, but all that's accomplished is that when he hears the command he instantly tries to gnaw on your knees and throw his torso at your torso very very hard.

You know, now that I think about it, that's kind of better than getting him to speak.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

abaddonis posted:

I know it isn't really related to your question, but why does every Corgi breeder's website look the same?
At least it doesn't have one of those ridiculous "Over the Rainbow Bridge" areas for their dead dogs. She does have a memorial section, but I'm not getting a :catdrugs: vibe at least. :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2012

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Found another picture of Tycho from our road trip up north

He absolutely insisted on standing on the console between the driver and passenger, and spent the entire time staring out the windshield with that look on his face like "WOOOO I'M FLYING!"

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Golden-i posted:

Found another picture of Tycho from our road trip up north

He absolutely insisted on standing on the console between the driver and passenger, and spent the entire time staring out the windshield with that look on his face like "WOOOO I'M FLYING!"

What a cute boy :3: he definitely looks JRT/Corgi to me. Total JRT face.

Masey
Aug 22, 2006
Pancakes.

Miss Indy posted:

I REALLY like the look of her corgis. She's also very obviously showing them, getting CGC titles on many of them, and is working them. She is having the pet quality dogs neutered, and drat.. those corgis look very much what they are supposed to look like. One of her dogs just won BOB at Westminster, that's amazing. She is also health testing her breeding stock. I say green light on this breeder, her dogs look great!

Thanks I just wanted a double take, the husband has given me the go ahead of contacting her as we imagine the wait list will be quite long since she only has 1-2 litters a year.

And the website yeah, I noticed that too, this one is a little better kept, the memorial section on these breeders sites really creep me out, but I guess they love what they do?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you go to the breeder's place and there are stuffed dogs and cats on the mantle, run.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!
Awww, Cardigan in a children's book :3: Dogzilla

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Dldlfmr3U

I figured you guys would like this. (Corgi Me Maybe)

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
That video's adorable, had to actually watch the original to get it though.

My fiance called before I went to sleep last night (he does delivery) and said "I just saw the most adorable thing! Two corgis came out of nowhere and they were soooo awesome and friendly. I don't think I'd mind having one!"

He had kinda been against them because they're what he considers to be "small" dogs. Good to know that a corgi might eventually be in our future. :)

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Dead Pikachu posted:

He had kinda been against them because they're what he considers to be "small" dogs.

Don't tell corgis this. They don't consider themselves small dogs. :colbert:

Amusing anecdote: We brought Josie over to a friend's house, and had her playing in the backyard, barking like crazy. Then we heard the neighbors from behind the fence say "It sounds like someone got a big dog." Her bark is about three times bigger than she is.

souphanousinphone
Jan 30, 2011
None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.
Hello friends. I am new to corgis (and puppies, for that matter) and I'm looking to get one in the next upcoming few months. I just started doing some research last night, read through the puppy thread and this thread, etc. I am moving to a little one-bedroom home soon and aside from 2-3 hours of classes a day (I am a student), I'm home a lot. My boyfriend is happy to coordinate his schedule with mine to make sure that potential puppy isn't left alone, as well as my future roommate.

The reason why I want to wait several months is 1) to start up a savings account and get two grand in there for pup cost/backup, and 2) to find the perfect breeder and use this time to learn everything I can about puppies, corgis, happiness, and so on.

I found a breeder in my area and was hoping some of you could glance at it with your experienced eyes and tell me if sounds as great as I thought: http://www.dalarno.com/index.html
If you all approve, I want to give her a call later today and ask her the following questions, most of which I got from here (a lot of other ones I had were answered on the site):

How many dogs do you keep at a time?
Who is your veterinarian?
Do you inbreed?
How old is mother? How long does it take her to recuperate between litters? How frequently do you breed?
What do you feed dogs? How much exercise do they get? Who is their primary caretaker? Are they left alone, if so how long?
What are negative aspects of your breed?
When do you begin socialization of puppy? (should be three weeks)
What does adoption/purchase contract entail?
If something were to happen to doggie or I can no longer care for him, will you take him back?
What about intervertebral disc disease, canine hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and epilepsy…Do you show test results upfront?
Do you screen breeding stock for heritable diseases? What do you do with affected animals? (They should be removed from breeding program, altered, and placed as pets, provided that the health issues are disclosed to buyers/adopters.)
When is your next litter?

Anything else I should ask? Should I give her a call?

Thanks for the help, guys.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Asking a breeder straight up "do you inbreed" sounds a little... ignorant. Obviously we don't want dogs who are inbred to hell and back, but since we're talking about purebred dogs they're almost all inbred to some degree. I think a better way to phrase the question would be to ask her whether she linebreeds, and if so, why. Linebreeding or "inbreeding" in and of itself is not an automatic red flag, but it's surely a reason to proceed with caution, and the breeder would need to have a hell of a reason to do so.

Why ask about who the vet is? I guess it could be helpful, but... I guess I don't see much reason in asking this either. Same with asking how much exercise her dogs get. It might be better to ask what sort of activities they do. The amount her dogs exercise will have little bearing on your potential future puppy (same with how long she leaves them alone, or who cares for them). Basically you're not quizzing her on how well she cares for her dogs on a day to day basis - that's not really your concern, and could get someone's back up if they feel you're being nosy/critical over inconsequential things.

You could ask about the goal of her breeding program. What is she trying to achieve in her dogs?

souphanousinphone
Jan 30, 2011
None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.

a life less posted:

Asking a breeder straight up "do you inbreed" sounds a little... ignorant. Obviously we don't want dogs who are inbred to hell and back, but since we're talking about purebred dogs they're almost all inbred to some degree. I think a better way to phrase the question would be to ask her whether she linebreeds, and if so, why. Linebreeding or "inbreeding" in and of itself is not an automatic red flag, but it's surely a reason to proceed with caution, and the breeder would need to have a hell of a reason to do so.

Why ask about who the vet is? I guess it could be helpful, but... I guess I don't see much reason in asking this either. Same with asking how much exercise her dogs get. It might be better to ask what sort of activities they do. The amount her dogs exercise will have little bearing on your potential future puppy (same with how long she leaves them alone, or who cares for them). Basically you're not quizzing her on how well she cares for her dogs on a day to day basis - that's not really your concern, and could get someone's back up if they feel you're being nosy/critical over inconsequential things.

You could ask about the goal of her breeding program. What is she trying to achieve in her dogs?

Thank you! Much better wording.

My reasoning with the vet was that maybe I could talk to them about the dogs but like you said, they could get their back up so I suppose it's better not to. I definitely am ignorant of all this, so your help is much appreciated.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Those look to be some pretty decent corgis and is a breeder I would be willing to talk to further just based on their website. They do at least some genetic testing, although I would like DM testing, and their dogs are all up on OFFA so you can double check if you want to.

Some of your questions (and answers) are a little silly. Does it really matter to you who they use as a vet? They clearly state on their website that they screen their breeding stock so asking them again seems unnecessary. A good breeder starts socializing puppies right away in a safe manner based on the pup's age, but asking how they socialize is a good idea so you'll know what your future pup has experienced so far in life.

If you haven't read the puppy thread I would encourage you to give it a look over. There is a list of questions to ask breeders and things to look for there. The Ruffly Speaking blog also has some good posts on how to approach a breeder here and here and here.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
I think some these questions, like others have said, are a little much. If you read her buying a puppy page, there is some good information and good answers that a quality breeder would post. Concerns about healthy dogs in breeding, awarenessa against puppymills etc.

Also I highly suggest you read through this thread some more :). Corgis are very active animals, they love to have a "job". You mention you will be living in a very small one bedroom with another person.

Also you mentioned wwanting to wait a few months, many breeders have wait lists for their puppies, since they generally only have one to two litters per year. It might be a longer wait, depending on the demand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Here's Butters enjoying the poo poo out of his birthday present-

Not actually for him (GF wanted a new couch to go with her new apartment) but it was his birthday this weekend! Can't believe the little bastard is already two years old. And I learned that he shares the same birthday (June 30th) with Mike Tyson of all people.

Happy birthday duder :buddy:

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

souphanousinphone posted:

Hello friends. I am new to corgis (and puppies, for that matter) and I'm looking to get one in the next upcoming few months. I just started doing some research last night, read through the puppy thread and this thread, etc. I am moving to a little one-bedroom home soon and aside from 2-3 hours of classes a day (I am a student), I'm home a lot. My boyfriend is happy to coordinate his schedule with mine to make sure that potential puppy isn't left alone, as well as my future roommate.

The reason why I want to wait several months is 1) to start up a savings account and get two grand in there for pup cost/backup, and 2) to find the perfect breeder and use this time to learn everything I can about puppies, corgis, happiness, and so on.

I found a breeder in my area and was hoping some of you could glance at it with your experienced eyes and tell me if sounds as great as I thought: http://www.dalarno.com/index.html
If you all approve, I want to give her a call later today and ask her the following questions, most of which I got from here (a lot of other ones I had were answered on the site):

How many dogs do you keep at a time?
Who is your veterinarian?
Do you inbreed?
How old is mother? How long does it take her to recuperate between litters? How frequently do you breed?
What do you feed dogs? How much exercise do they get? Who is their primary caretaker? Are they left alone, if so how long?
What are negative aspects of your breed?
When do you begin socialization of puppy? (should be three weeks)
What does adoption/purchase contract entail?
If something were to happen to doggie or I can no longer care for him, will you take him back?
What about intervertebral disc disease, canine hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and epilepsy…Do you show test results upfront?
Do you screen breeding stock for heritable diseases? What do you do with affected animals? (They should be removed from breeding program, altered, and placed as pets, provided that the health issues are disclosed to buyers/adopters.)
When is your next litter?

Anything else I should ask? Should I give her a call?

Thanks for the help, guys.

To be honest, she can come off as kind of a bitch. I have a pup from Trucker and I love him. The one interaction I had with her, she kinda rubbed me the wrong way, but don't let that stop you from buying from her.

Edit: I guess I should post some photos of him. Don't mind the blue eye, he was the only one in his litter with this and is just a recessive genetic trait.

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 3, 2012

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

So, I'm going on a Study Abroad trip for the summer and my parents were gracious enough to babysit my dog for the month I'll be gone. I took her over there yesterday.

Today I get an email with this video. My mother has an old doll that she had when she was a kid and she keeps it in the hallway (it's normally up on a table). Nova saw it and suddenly it became the devil.

She finally had to put it up in the spare bedroom because Nova had been stressing about it for the past day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZfTd20X140

:downs:

Sorry for video quality, I think my mother took it with a cell phone.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Kerafyrm posted:

Video about the doll

Gizmo was extremely interested in whatever Nova was saying about the doll.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

gogogiraffes posted:

Gizmo was extremely interested in whatever Nova was saying about the doll.
Orbit kept cocking his head at my phone the whole time too. That's some doll. Terrifying three corgis at once.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
A bunch of awesome gorgeous dogs in this thread :3: Corgis are absolutely my favorite breed.

A shelter find, my corgi/sheltie mix, Mugsy.. I'd never adopted a dog of my own before, let alone an adult (he was around 2 years when I got him), but he was very well-behaved, house-trained, and hella smart. I'm fairly certain that he posed for these pictures, too:

He even liked dressup!

I do so miss the lil nugget. :smith:

Bonus: A friend's corgi, Goober. He's a complete.. uh.. goober.

At about a year old

More recent, with her other dog.. he's a bit of a chub nowadays

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

macky2dope posted:

Ohshit Mugsy

Holy poo poo. I love Mugsy. :3:

Goyder
Jan 20, 2007

Daddy! Daddy! Are you sure this is right?
Hi Corgi thread!

I'm getting my very first puppy in 7 days - and it's a beautifull little Pemproke Welsh Corgi (red and white) that I'm going to call Gorgi. He should be 4 months old when I get him.

While I work a 9-5 job, I am able to walk him in the morning and when I get back from work. A "recent" health kick has had me drop 55kg's so I am not only willing to walk him in the morning and afternoon I want to! Hopefully when he gets a bit older I can take him jogging with me (Got several good paved jogging paths around where i live). I also have a really great backyard for a dog with a patio, shed (that's dry) - throw in some toys and plenty of room for a corgi to run around when I'm not home so he should be plenty happy and lots to do.

Taking 5 days off to help him get used to his new place, but then I'm getting back into my routine so he can get used to the fact that I'll be gone - but I'll always be back.

Do any of you Corgi owners have any advice to keep a corgi happy outdoors while I'm away? Also when I'm home he'll be indoors.

I guess I would also love just some generic corgi advice from you guys - toys? food? games? etc.

I'll have some pictures soon!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

A lot of PIers feel that dogs shouldn't be kept outdoors when you're not around to supervise. Not only is it less safe, for a yappy (and quite possibly bored) dog like a Corgi it sounds like it'd be a recipe for barkbarkbarking all day long.

The pup won't likely play with his toys or run around much when you're not around. I think leaving him outside has more cons than pros.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that really doesn't sound like an ideal situation at all for a Corgi / puppy. a life less is right, it's going to bark all day. Seriously. Also your fence better be in tip top shape because of bored Corgi can figure out almost anything.

I'd honestly have someone that could be there for portions of the whole day to get it adjusted, and after that would look into getting a dog walker for lunch time if you can't make it out.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
Thought this might bring a smile - A little video on the history of the Queen's Corgis.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...paralleled.html

Absolutely lovely dogs in the vid, with big goofy tails.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, Butters hates to be left alone even after two years of living so I'd at least keep your dog crated or gated inside when you're not around, if only as a courtesy to your neighbors. Just make sure to play or exercise him a bunch when you get back (my girlfriend uses Butters as a running buddy and he's apparently gotten very good at it)

Bogwoppit posted:

Thought this might bring a smile - A little video on the history of the Queen's Corgis.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...paralleled.html

Absolutely lovely dogs in the vid, with big goofy tails.

They are very cute :3: But I thought that keeping a Pembroke's tail was bad for it? Something about throwing off its balance, and the fact that it's smaller than a Cardigan (which does keep its tail)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 12, 2012

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

C-Euro posted:

They are very cute :3: But I thought that keeping a Pembroke's tail was bad for it? Something about throwing off its balance, and the fact that it's smaller than a Cardigan (which does keep its tail)?
Not a bit of it. The Pem's tail was originally docked to indicate for tax purposes that it was a working dog rather than a pet. Don't ask me why the same wasn't true for the Cardi. It's done now in the US for breed standard, but docking is now illegal in the UK (viewed inhumane). In fact, trying to breed for the natural bob tail can cause serious spinal defects, since what's really happening genetically is that less spine is being bred for. Genes are complicated stuff!

Goyder
Jan 20, 2007

Daddy! Daddy! Are you sure this is right?
I have no worries that when the dog is trained okay he'll be fine outside - my aunties corgi lived outside while they worked and he was fine. I guess I was more worried that he was a little to young to be outside alone.

I have no problem leaving him indoors. I can pen off the kitchen which should be good. It has a nice little nook that I can put his bed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
I'd keep it indoors when you're not home. There are just a lot of potential horrors, and it only takes something to happen once.

I don't worry about behaviour so much as outside factors.

• Locked thread