Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

If Carson does start bombing, then Trump YES for hitting the November number looks cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

The 22%+ market already fell apart, I had bought NOs around 25 and now I'm wondering if I should sell off at 65, which I'm sure is the ceiling for now, or stick to my guns and wait until the end of the month when it's up at 99.

He might survive this because it's on a Friday, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Sell, the market has probably overreacted and you can lock in solid profits.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I just sold my Carson NO into this spike. I only wish I had more than 25 of them. I would, or sell half of them if you have a lot.

I see that sometimes the markets overshoot short term so I'm going to see if I can pick up some YES in the low 30's for a quick bump.

Dammit, trying to do the same thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If Carson does start bombing, then Trump YES for hitting the November number looks cheap.

If Carson actually does crash his people probably split between Huck, Cruz, and Rubio. He's the un-Trump of the moment.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
eh Carson certainly had a bit of a peak today and will settle out, but now that their is blood in the water hes toast IMO.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I put in a large buy order for Carson 22% NO at .60. It'll probably never drop down there but the market has been weird. Carson's decline begins now, but how fast it'll happen is anyone's guess.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah I just bought Carson YES at 34 with the order to sell at 36, we'll probably see that happen if this doesn't become MEGASCANDAL 2000.

edit: This is after I sold my Carson NO profit.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm grabbing a bunch of cheap carson first to drop out shares in the hopes that this spirals completely out of control. I just don't see how a book tour candidate lasts very long under pressure and I can't see anyone else dropping out while Carson faces a shitstorm. There is going to be a massive hole at the top that other candidates will be looking to fill in anticipation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy moley

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Iowa caucus market has gone unhinged as well, lots of overreactions.

Edit: Beaten, but in on Cruz No re: above.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gyges posted:

If Carson actually does crash his people probably split between Huck, Cruz, and Rubio. He's the un-Trump of the moment.

If Carson crashes hard I think Cruz benefits the most, less so Huck because he is a has been. To disclose, I am heavily invested in Cruz hitting his number, about 20% of my portfolio is in there, my current heaviest bet. But there will be a lot of spoils to go around that everyone will benefit short term.

Just for fun, I bought some Carly dropping out next at 2. I know she won't, but it's better than spending $5 on a lottery ticket and its fun to see that she was just a flash in the pan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nachos posted:

I'm grabbing a bunch of cheap carson first to drop out shares in the hopes that this spirals completely out of control. I just don't see how a book tour candidate lasts very long under pressure and I can't see anyone else dropping out while Carson faces a shitstorm. There is going to be a massive hole at the top that other candidates will be looking to fill in anticipation.

It's because he's an insane book tour candidate that he'll weather this. He might not be leading the pack anymore, but it's going to take a while for him to drop down to the kiddie table. His entire campaign is being the soft spoken black guy who says what the people want to hear. He can't win the primary, but he'll certainly be making enough wing nut money to stick around for a while longer. Same as Huck.

If Rubio gets his legs taken out, Cruz's dark machinations will be all but complete. It's loving insane that he's the 2nd most likely to win this poo poo now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm not willing to call Cruz a genius yet. I'm not. I can't.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This Carson counter-swing is incredible.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yep, glad I listened to the thread and sold at 65 (thought I wish I'd held out to 40 on the other side).

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Why is there a "Will a woman be elected President in 2016?" market? Seems pretty redundant with the Hillary for President market.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Why is there a "Will a woman be elected President in 2016?" market? Seems pretty redundant with the Hillary for President market.

What about when Hillary reveals herself to be a man? This market hedges against that.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think the woman on the 10 dollar bill market is some kind of money laundering scheme. There's no news about it every, but it has crazy swings from Tubman to Roosevelt pretty often.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HisMajestyBOB posted:

The "Will a woman be elected President in 2016?" is logically valued at "Will Fiorina be elected?" plus "Will Hillary Clinton be elected?" (so 0+100%)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Nintendo Kid posted:

The "Will a woman be elected President in 2016?" is logically valued at "Will Fiorina be elected?" plus "Will Hillary Clinton be elected?" (so 0+100%)

Yet its PredictItValue is "PredictItValue of Hillary being elected" * 0.95, makes you think.

Or maybe it's ("PredictItValue of Hilary being elected" + "PredictItValue of Carly being elected") * 0.9, I'm not sure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HisMajestyBOB posted:

It started back in May when Elizabeth Warren was totally running and Palin was still thinking about the joys of the clown car. Which would have made it a question of if Hillary, Warren, Fiorina, or Palin would win. I think there were a couple other women's names kicking around then too.

Alternatively Predictit has some Grade A gossip on Jeb and the true nature of his exclamation mark, or were really hoping for a Caitlin Jenner run to really gently caress with the market.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

Yet its PredictItValue is "PredictItValue of Hillary being elected" * 0.95, makes you think.

Or maybe it's ("PredictItValue of Hilary being elected" + "PredictItValue of Carly being elected") * 0.9, I'm not sure.

That's just the likelihood of a gender reassignmrnt in the meantime, of course.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vox Nihili posted:

That's just the likelihood of a gender reassignmrnt in the meantime, of course.

thats how I read it too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Time to buy in on Louisiana!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQVCFVVVE0

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Mods pls make this gif the background of Election Erection

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I have 50 shares on Republican NO, but forgive me, I know next to nothing other than tomato's co-worker from LA said Edwards was a sure thing. Is this new information like a bombshell just went off, or is this something that has been kicking around forever?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's been kicking around for a while, but no one's ever been able to figure out that he missed a vote (a vote to honour veterans!) to answer a call from a prostitute yet.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Big Ben just had a really bad press conference so it might be a good opportunity to take advantage of some swings in various markets against him

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

Big Ben just had a really bad press conference so it might be a good opportunity to take advantage of some swings in various markets against him

I violated the sacred rule of do not play polls by buying some NO for him to be above the 22% threshold. His peak is clearly here, or at least, will have peaked by the end of the month and he should decline as Trump, Rubio, and others pick up the rest.

I know people say the base won't care about the absurd poo poo that he's saying, and if it were him running against a democrat, you're right. But this sorts of bizarre revelations and inability to handle media scrutiny do hurt his ability to compete with other Republicans, and enough people will abandon him for a new flavor of the month (tm).

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

JosefStalinator posted:

I violated the sacred rule of do not play polls by buying some NO for him to be above the 22% threshold. His peak is clearly here, or at least, will have peaked by the end of the month and he should decline as Trump, Rubio, and others pick up the rest.

I know people say the base won't care about the absurd poo poo that he's saying, and if it were him running against a democrat, you're right. But this sorts of bizarre revelations and inability to handle media scrutiny do hurt his ability to compete with other Republicans, and enough people will abandon him for a new flavor of the month (tm).

Go ahead and play polls. There is right way and a wrong way. The wrong way is to make big bets near the close that could go either way depending on what poll hits or what old poll gets dropped. But at this point out, with this much time there is skill involved. It isn't pure chance. But even then don't go big. Last month I made a decent amount of money betting that Carly had peaked. I lost some thinking that Carson wouldn't win the CNBC debate.

What I try to do is to spread it around wide, don't make any big bets, don't buy all at once, even if you really like something, and don't be afraid to sell at a loss in case you realize at some later point you were wrong. It's better to miss out on upside if it means you limit your exposure to downside.

Carson at 22 will probably resolve as a NO. I did well playing with it today, but I think it's fairly priced right now. I'm out of it entirely as of now and won't get back in until one side becomes cheaper for a dumb reason, or until one side becomes mathematically probable.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I have 50 shares on Republican NO, but forgive me, I know next to nothing other than tomato's co-worker from LA said Edwards was a sure thing. Is this new information like a bombshell just went off, or is this something that has been kicking around forever?

I ended up converting my LA = Dem approach into a pure arbitrage play. There's only two candidates in this final round, but Dem No + Rep No only adds up to .94-.97, depending on the hour. Yes, please, I'll gladly buy dollars in two weeks for 95 cents today.

However, the Democrat win is still a good play. Just buy whatever is cheaper between D Yes and R No.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Tomato Burger posted:

I ended up converting my LA = Dem approach into a pure arbitrage play. There's only two candidates in this final round, but Dem No + Rep No only adds up to .94-.97, depending on the hour. Yes, please, I'll gladly buy dollars in two weeks for 95 cents today.

However, the Democrat win is still a good play. Just buy whatever is cheaper between D Yes and R No.

I'd be careful about this particular arbitrage play. Based on the numbers I don't think it will work out for you.

Keep in mind that they take a 10% cut on winnings. You don't really feel it so much when you do a normal bet, you either win or lose, but especially on arbitrage plays it really matters. If you make 2 opposite bets you are locking in a 100% loss and a 10% loss. On today's numbers, say you got the Dem NO and Republican NO for 25 and 70 and buy 100 shared of each and Edwards wins. Your first bet loses $25. Your other bet wins $30. But you only see $27 of that. You are up by $2.

If it goes the other way, your first bet wins $75. You will see $67.5 of it. Your second bet loses $70. After fees, you are actually down $2.50.

Lesson being arbitrage is fine, but unless you can cover all options for less than 90 cents, it's hardly worth it.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'd be careful about this particular arbitrage play. Based on the numbers I don't think it will work out for you.

Keep in mind that they take a 10% cut on winnings. You don't really feel it so much when you do a normal bet, you either win or lose, but especially on arbitrage plays it really matters. If you make 2 opposite bets you are locking in a 100% loss and a 10% loss. On today's numbers, say you got the Dem NO and Republican NO for 25 and 70 and buy 100 shared of each and Edwards wins. Your first bet loses $25. Your other bet wins $30. But you only see $27 of that. You are up by $2.

If it goes the other way, your first bet wins $75. You will see $67.5 of it. Your second bet loses $70. After fees, you are actually down $2.50.

Lesson being arbitrage is fine, but unless you can cover all options for less than 90 cents, it's hardly worth it.

Hmm, that is an interesting point that I hadn't considered. When I was structuring the arbitrage scenario I was thinking of what factors I may have missed. I just lopped 10% off of my calculated outcome, but neglected to consider the "winning
.75 per share" vs. "winning .25 per share" concept, as there is no offsetting negative fee for losses.

Time to run the numbers again, thanks for the heads up!

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Hmmm... you're very right. My initial calculations were that I would clear $11 x 0.9 = $9.90. With a $208 investment, I had figured for a locked in 4.7% gain.

Running the numbers now I'm up $4.57 with a D win or down $5.57 with a D loss. Definitely not arbitrage anymore.

Assuming a 75% chance of a D win (based on current market prices and my initial research) then I have an expected value of $2.03 = 1% return.

And thus ends my foray into PredictIt arbitrage. Thanks for setting me straight.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I really need to get around to uploading my arbitrage spreadsheets to this thread. Always assume the worst case scenario if you're arbitrating.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My GOP NOM NO portfolio is 50% Rubio and 40% Cruz and I feel super lovely about it.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Rubio Yes is the only thing keeping my portfolio in the black ATM

Other than Louisiana going D

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Aliquid posted:

My GOP NOM NO portfolio is 50% Rubio and 40% Cruz and I feel super lovely about it.

I felt lovely about BIDEN RUN NO but I'm not playing what my heart wants on these.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Patriots over prostitutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

User Error posted:

Patriots over prostitutes

imma make money on that poo poo, at least

• Locked thread