Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Re: Abigail

I mean I recognized Matthew Goode and he's a good actor who isnt some nobody, it was just a silly scene and he looked stupid as gently caress.

They should've gotten Michael Shannon so he could've vamped as hard as he did for Bullet Train where he's basically Vicious from Cowboy Bebop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I would be sad Crystal Lake got canceled if the buzz about it was "there is so much nudity in the scripts no streaming service would touch it" or "during filming two actors got coated in gallons of fake blood that dried and they had to call paramedics to peel them off the floor" or "they invented a whole new kind of computerized prop machete that could collapse at any angle and communicated with smart squibs that fired blood in response to the contact the machete made with the actor's body".

"sad and beautiful" makes me glad it's not happening.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The only buzz I'd wanna hear is "the practical effects guys have been whispering about 'something special' and won't let us into their trailer 'until it's ripe'."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheMopeSquad posted:

Waiting to watch Tarot now.

Wouldn't recommend. Extremely Sony Movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Turn away from Tarot, but someone take one for the team and let me know if that new Strangers film is at least Okay. Enough to moviepass.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Turn away from Tarot, but someone take one for the team and let me know if that new Strangers film is at least Okay. Enough to moviepass.

Gonna go see it on Friday, so I'll be the canary in the coalmine unless someone gets to it first.

And yeah, don't spend money on Tarot. Forgettable and pretty dull.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Shame, it almost looked like Final Destination meets 13 Ghosts.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Yeah, they explained exactly what was going to happen to everyone in the first ten minutes the rest was pointless.

The Fool and The Magician were cool but they needed to do more with all the other bits, there was no consistency at all.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Come And See posted:

Shame, it almost looked like Final Destination meets 13 Ghosts.

Would you believe that's exactly the comparison I made in my Challenge Thread post about it? Sadly it's less than the sum of its parts, and you'd be better off just watching either Final Destination or 13 Ghosts.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Arcadian isn't the A24 horror film I expected. Not sure how I feel yet but I appreciate schlock that looks nice.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hannibal ruled, Hannibal first half of final season ruled, and this rules

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1789339154133741850

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ah gently caress

Roger Corman died https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...PPEC0-ntbRq8V8C

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
gently caress. Well, time to pour out a bottle of obviously fake beer in honor of the OG.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

He had one hell of a life. Frankly he may be one of the most influential people to ever work in movies. Never a better time to watch Masque of the Red Death or The Little Shop of Horrors or House of Usher or Death Race 2000 or A Bucket of Blood or...

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
... Or Targets, which I think is the crown jewel of his output as a producer.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Targets! The Raven! X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes! Slumber Party Massacre II! My god, what are you waiting for?!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

At the time I felt like I was the only person disappointed in Hannibal dude getting the Friday the 13th show because I knew it would not be the vibe I'd be into.

Loved Hannibal but didn't have high hopes for Jason to get done right.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

He had one hell of a life. Frankly he may be one of the most influential people to ever work in movies. Never a better time to watch Masque of the Red Death or The Little Shop of Horrors or House of Usher or Death Race 2000 or A Bucket of Blood or...

The most

https://twitter.com/abs_sweetmarie/status/1789473428510015615

Not even an exaggeration to say films wouldn't have been the same without him

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
There was a decade when he was the American distributor of most of the Best Foreign Feature Oscar winners.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat rip to a real one

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Smoke one for True Independent Big Roger Corman.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man, I was just thinking about how crazy it is that he was still alive. What a career

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Corman was one of a kind and I always loved there was a guy out there who would give young filmmakers an opportunity because he needed a Jurassic Park/Star Wars/Alien ripoff and needed it yesterday. Different time. Obviously lots of greatness has come out of those opportunities. And lots of charm and creativity in those ripoffs as well.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Chris James 2 posted:

The most

https://twitter.com/abs_sweetmarie/status/1789473428510015615

Not even an exaggeration to say films wouldn't have been the same without him

This is the first one I’ve seen mention Cameron, but then it also leaves off Dick Miller and Joe Dante‽

Eh. Try and squeeze in EVERY person who worked under him and took their skills beyond, and the tweet will be a thread.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Naked Man Punch posted:

This is the first one I’ve seen mention Cameron, but then it also leaves off Dick Miller and Joe Dante‽

Eh. Try and squeeze in EVERY person who worked under him and took their skills beyond, and the tweet will be a thread.

https://youtu.be/w9ufEVqRTJs?si=LZpNvywOj_S60Y9O if anyone doesn’t know vis-a-vis Cameron and Corman. Video ends on an all-time quote lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rip Corman, GOAT

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone seen The Coffee Table (La mesita del comedor)? It's sorta horror I guess, wikipedia calls it a black comedy which I can see.

There's nothing quite like it, I think.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Something I loved about Bucket of Blood when I saw it for the first time recently is how the beatnik type characters at the coffee shop are for the most part pretty cool and decent people (outside of maybe being a little high on their own supply) when it would have been real low hanging fruit to make them a bunch of cruel jerkwads the audience could hate.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

huh posted:

Has anyone seen The Coffee Table (La mesita del comedor)? It's sorta horror I guess, wikipedia calls it a black comedy which I can see.

I watched it last week. The amount of tension and dread it builds is absolutely amazing and from the start of The Incident I couldn't stop thinking "how the gently caress are they going to wrap this up"? Turns out (not really a spoiler) exactly how I thought they would, the only way they can :(

Hard recommend to anyone. My wife just couldn't stand the way the mom laughs lol.

e: I was also recommended it as a "black comedy" which I think is an insane mis-categorization. If I squint I guess I can see it for some parts but ... I will think something is very wrong with you if you laugh throughout this movie.

:siren: Go into this movie blind, don't look it up if you don't already know :siren:

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 12, 2024

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Watched Abigail last night. Thought they did a good job in the first act of setting up the premise but then it was just kind of ... mid? I think they could have dropped about 20 minutes and tightened it up a bit. Agree the final reveal felt goofy and unearned. It did get a few chuckles out of me and some of the kills were neat. Wouldn't recommend but it's not a bad time.

e: and #rip to the goofy stoner kid in the cast that died. Looks like he was only 25 : /

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 12, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Godmonster of Indian Flats is a weird movie with a lot of weird elements but it all shakes out to be pretty entertaining.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

huh posted:

Yep! Really liked it, really can't recommend it lightly (can't at all to parents), absolutely stunned Amazon listed horror as the third/final genre for it (below, in order, Comedy and Drama)

If you want to see it go in blind and expect minimum an hour of tension

Also I just finished Last Stop in Yuma County

Chris James 2 posted:

Infested briefly made me scared of spiders, though I will say there was a missed opportunity by having only one hulking behemoth, but I guess you gotta save something for a sequel. Definitely see why Raimi looked at this and wanted the director to make an Evil Dead

Speaking of, he's not the only one! https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3809897/another-evil-dead-movie-in-the-works-with-francis-galluppi-directing/ Second new Evil Dead film announced, Raimi picked Francis Galluppi to direct this one; May 10 is the release of Galluppi's first film (which inspired Raimi to choose him), The Last Stop in Yuma County, which is a "neo-noir western" with Jim Cummings, Richard Brake, Barbara Crampton and Alex Essoe

Good loving times holy poo poo :stare: can't wait to see Galluppi's Evil Dead. Very tense, an old-school gunfight showdown, and a wild but believable escalation to its tragic ending. Loved it

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Rip Corman, GOAT

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

huh posted:

I watched it a few days ago, and cannot stop thinking about it. I absolutely loved it, though it's sad that I can't really recommend it to anyone I know.

Some thoughts:

When I first watched it, I feel like I must have been in shock at the Incident, and couldn't "see" the obvious. Meaning, I didn't notice the head under the chair until the scene where Jesus tried to reach for it but couldn't do it. Looking back:
  • When the glass shatters offscreen, with the view from the hallway, you can see the head roll under the chair... freaking chilling to watch on a rewatch. Easy to miss the first time.
  • The first look at the aftermath. The baby is fully beheaded, and it's obvious. But I must have been in shock, because I just hoped in my mind that the baby was injured and covered up (so you couldn't see the head).
  • First glimpse under the chair... it was obvious as well, but I just didn't see it.
  • Second glimpse under the chair when Jesus couldn't bring himself to grab it... this is when I finally realized what happened. I almost checked out of the movie at this point.

I went into this film blind, so a decapitated baby was the last thing I expected. I am usually pretty good at details, but somehow this film triggered something where I lost all of my normal senses.

My wife came down a couple of times while I was watching. Later, she said I looked pale and desperate. She was right. This movie is quite an experience. Oh, and I ended up sleeping next to my daughter that night. She woke up really excited, but had no idea it was because I was traumatized by a film.

80k fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 12, 2024

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I was almost the same way (Coffee Table spoilers); when The Incident happens, I knew I saw something else other than glass go across the screen/under the chair specifically, but I didn't put together what until the first or second glimpse at the chair

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

80k posted:

I watched it a few days ago, and cannot stop thinking about it. I absolutely loved it, though it's sad that I can't really recommend it to anyone I know.

Some thoughts:

but somehow this film triggered something where I lost all of my normal senses.

I feel the exact same as all of this. I had a similar feeling during the beach scene in Under the Skin .

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

fullroundaction posted:

e: I was also recommended it as a "black comedy" which I think is an insane mis-categorization.

I think the music betrays the grim nature of the movie.

But I can also see the humour in everything going wrong for the husband and the awkwardness avoiding situations and his reactions.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

huh posted:

I think the music betrays the grim nature of the movie.

But I can also see the humour in everything going wrong for the husband and the awkwardness avoiding situations and his reactions.

Yeah I guess. But he didn’t like, burn the roast when he was having his boss over for dinner or something like that lol.

It’s a very good self-insert movie that tells you a lot about yourself depending on what lens you’re looking at the husband through. I was panicking and also could FEEL his entire soul being completely panicked and numb and hopeless all at the same time. Great acting.

The thing it reminded me of most was Rope by Hitchcock, except I never got fully invested in that like I did this movie.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Flying Zamboni posted:

Yeah it rules! If you haven't seen it yet, Quatermass and the Pit is by the same writer working with Hammer and is also really good.

Kneal was also approached to write an episode of The X-Files, which makes sense when you think about how Quatermass and The Pit and The Stone Tape are procedural science-horror, but he refused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Godmonster of Indian Flats is a weird movie with a lot of weird elements but it all shakes out to be pretty entertaining.

I love that movie, there's relatively few movies in the genre. There's like, VALLEY OF GWANGI, TREMORS, what else?