Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Someone help me. I actually am starting to think I want to play this game. This isn't right. I'm... I'm afraid I'm going to be hurt again. :smith:

Shhh. Just let it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Mordiceius posted:

Someone help me. I actually am starting to think I want to play this game. This isn't right. I'm... I'm afraid I'm going to be hurt again. :smith:

You won't be. This game is good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geostomp posted:

Well, the Dalish could be smart and patiently build up power while keeping their one edge secret for as long as possible, or they could take the same route as the quarians in ME3: belligerently assault a superior force to settle old scores the second you get an advantage because it sounds very dramatic and can lead to a big "choice" in the game. Which to you think the writers of this series would rather have happen?

I remember watching the scene on youtube where Tali shoots herself in the head and then tumbles off the cliff. It was great. :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Just finished up The Last Court.

Got the Divine's favor up to twenty, ended with 100 in Health, 100 in Dignity, Freedom, and Prosperity, and Peril, Rumors of Revolution, and Twilight at less than 20. :hellyeah:

Dang, it cut me off at 10. Its kinda dumb it doesnt mention you need macguffin types in groups of threes.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

All it said was "Your accomplishments will be recorded in the Keep" so no I don't think so.

Edit: Like I didn't get a DLC code or anything if that's what you mean.

What's the ending

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

I remember watching the scene on youtube where Tali shoots herself in the head and then tumbles off the cliff. It was great. :allears:

I really liked tali, but yeah, gently caress the quarians.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah it looks good but I have bought two games this year what looked good and were poo poo, so I am going to wait a bit before I buy it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

steakmancer posted:

What's the ending

I hit 18, and 10 is the highest that it actually cares about giving you bonuses for. Basically if you get high enough, the Divine lifts the Shame of Serault and tells you that she'll have her attendants spread news of how Serault's new lord/lady is the greatest among the courts of Orlais. She then calls you her sister (or brother maybe? I played Huntress) and says she'd love to stop by again on her trip back.

You also get the key to the sealed chantry (which she consecrates), a glass mask full of jewels, and a bunch of other stuff for your courtiers.

As noted, it notes that 'your choices have been recorded in the Keep' at the very end, before letting you restart if you want.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

steakmancer posted:

What's the ending

"Yes, I know that you invited an obvious abomination to dinner with us and purposefully allowed apostates to roam free so that you could mine ravens in the sky for gold, but your food's amazing, that wyvern puppet thing was equal parts beautiful and hilarious, and you're blackmailing me using Marjolaine's name. We'll pretend that the Shame never happened and here's the keys to that locked Chantry that you totally haven't broken into already. Maker bless you, now I need to go get blown up or something."

I may have paraphrased a bit.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait the Dalish sacked Val Royeaux at some point?

I like that Bioware is continuing the proud tradition of making sure the Elves in this series actually do deserve all the poo poo they put up with.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well everything we hear about both of the major elf-human conflicts in this setting is a case of both sides going "They started it first!" without any real reliable accounts.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

I like that Bioware is continuing the proud tradition of making sure the Elves in this series actually do deserve all the poo poo they put up with.

Well duh, they're elves :colbert:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Mordiceius posted:

Just treat yourself to some cynicism meds, cut the hype off your diet and wait for some sale when you can pick it up for half the price. At least it won't be as bad as DA2 based on things so far.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, in a war that either they started or the Chantry started through Templar fuckery. After DA:O, it seemed like either side might be true. After the DAII bullshit the Chantry and Templars tried to pull behind the scenes with the Qunari, I think that the second version is more likely. The Elves sacking the city, though, definitely falls under the "PR Failure" column.

That's one thing that seems to have gotten more pronounced as the games progress; elements of the Chantry are portrayed as self-righteous dicks more in DAII than in DA:O, and it seems like something similar is going to happen in DA:I. It's become less about a good organization with a few bad apples, and more about a corrupt organization with a few naive good people.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Mordiceius posted:

I just made an Origin account and installed it but I'm still staring at the pre-order button with indecision. :ohdear:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byers2142 posted:

Yeah, in a war that either they started or the Chantry started through Templar fuckery. After DA:O, it seemed like either side might be true. After the DAII bullshit the Chantry and Templars tried to pull behind the scenes with the Qunari, I think that the second version is more likely. The Elves sacking the city, though, definitely falls under the "PR Failure" column.

That's one thing that seems to have gotten more pronounced as the games progress; elements of the Chantry are portrayed as self-righteous dicks more in DAII than in DA:O, and it seems like something similar is going to happen in DA:I. It's become less about a good organization with a few bad apples, and more about a corrupt organization with a few naive good people.

Nothing in the books or the wiki about the elves hitting Val Royeaux. The elves took the city of Halamshiral before Orlais reconquered it, and the siege of Val Royeaux was during the Orlesian Civil War by rebel forces.

Halamshiral, incidentally, was a city that was 80% elves. The oppressed city elves rose up and expelled their human overlords before the Orlesian army reconquered the city.

The only involvement elves had with the siege of Val Royeaux from what I've been able to gather was Empress Celene burning down the Alienage.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 15, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Nothing in the books or the wiki about the elves hitting Val Royeaux. The elves took the city of Halamshiral before Orlais reconquered it, and the siege of Val Royeaux was during the Orlesian Civil War by rebel forces.

Never read the books, but the first google hit for "Dalish Val Royeaux" has this:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dales

quote:

At this point, the Chantry called for a holy war against the elves that became known as the Exalted March of the Dales. While the elves eventually sacked Val Royeaux and pushed well into human lands, Halamshiral was conquered and the elves were completely crushed by 2:20 Glory. The Dales were appropriated by the Orlesians, who uprooted elven settlements and forbade worship of the elven gods.[1] Elves who accepted the Chantry's offered truce were required to accept the Maker and live in slums, known as alienages, within human settlements, becoming the city elves. Some elves, however, refused to give up their worship or their dream of their own homeland. These became the Dalish, retaining the name of their second lost homeland and vowing to keep elven language, lore and religion alive.

I seem to remember getting some of this from the Dalish in DA:O, as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byers2142 posted:

Never read the books, but the first google hit for "Dalish Val Royeaux" has this:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dales

Yeah, that's during the Exalted March, nothing current. You'll note that the Dales sacked Val Royeaux during a counter-offensive after the humans declared holy war, but were eventually crushed and defeated.

quote:

Yes, that's centuries-old history by the present of Dragon Age. Humans declared war on the Dales, both sides fought for a while, the elves lost and were shattered into the Dalish and the oppressed city elves. Both sides claim the other started it.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

I hit 18, and 10 is the highest that it actually cares about giving you bonuses for. Basically if you get high enough, the Divine lifts the Shame of Serault and tells you that she'll have her attendants spread news of how Serault's new lord/lady is the greatest among the courts of Orlais. She then calls you her sister (or brother maybe? I played Huntress) and says she'd love to stop by again on her trip back.

You also get the key to the sealed chantry (which she consecrates), a glass mask full of jewels, and a bunch of other stuff for your courtiers.

As noted, it notes that 'your choices have been recorded in the Keep' at the very end, before letting you restart if you want.

Someone upthread got a different ending where the Horned Knight is allowed to bring his gift without being looked over first and when it was a Chantry sister with flowers growing out of a crack in her head and dandelions for eyes or whatever the Divine freaked the gently caress out and refused to bless the town but Serault becomes infamous for having poo poo like that happen there so at least the town won't be forgotten which is a kickass ending honestly but not the one I wanted.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, that's during the Exalted March, nothing current. You'll note that the Dales sacked Val Royeaux during a counter-offensive after the humans declared holy war, but were eventually crushed and defeated.

Yes, that's centuries-old history by the present of Dragon Age. Humans declared war on the Dales, both sides fought for a while, the elves lost and were shattered into the Dalish and the oppressed city elves. Both sides claim the other started it.

Yes, but the question was "the elves sacked Val Royeaux at some point?" and the answer is yes, during the Exalted March. We're talking ancient history, not during the last decade. I think we're getting crossed because we're talking about different time periods.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Someone upthread got a different ending where the Horned Knight is allowed to bring his gift without being looked over first and when it was a Chantry sister with flowers growing out of a crack in her head and dandelions for eyes or whatever the Divine freaked the gently caress out and refused to bless the town but Serault becomes infamous for having poo poo like that happen there so at least the town won't be forgotten which is a kickass ending honestly but not the one I wanted.

Yeah, that's the other ending. And while hilarious, it also has a big warning attached to it saying that this is a bad, dumb choice, and it strongly implies this should be considered a lose state.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The dalish elves are arrogant dicks, they probably started it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byers2142 posted:

Yes, but the question was "the elves sacked Val Royeaux at some point?" and the answer is yes, during the Exalted March. We're talking ancient history, not during the last decade. I think we're getting crossed because we're talking about different time periods.

If you believe the character in the books strongly implied to be the elves' very own Loki figure, here is the sum total of human/elf relations in Thedas' history, from Arlathan and Tevinter to the present day: both sides are assholes to each other and always have been, and the elves would most likely act exactly like the humans have had the elves won.

As it happens, the humans won so you have things like Empress Celene burning down Val Royeaux's Alienage, home to about ten thousand people, after the Halamshiral rebellion as an example of what happens to any other elves who consider rebellion.

quote:

So are the humans.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Let's be fair, it's a war between dicks and assholes. It wouldn't surprise me if they both started it at the same time, unknowingly. The Templars invaded the Dales on the same day that the Dalish invaded Orlais, and when both sides found out they claimed that their invasion was a response to the other, instead of the perfect dick/rear end in a top hat storm that it was that hosed everyone else.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am playing DAO, and finished Leliana's companion quest. After talking to Leliana back at camp, i got a hilariously broken cut scene where she kind of hovered around the camp making weird mouth motions for about 2 minutes.

What was that supposed to be about?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

UberJumper posted:

I am playing DAO, and finished Leliana's companion quest. After talking to Leliana back at camp, i got a hilariously broken cut scene where she kind of hovered around the camp making weird mouth motions for about 2 minutes.

yes

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Was it this, without the song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6smo7ASr2c

Your version may be better. Record it, and dub in "The New poo poo."

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Oh my christ you loving spergs I'm too drunk to read all this.

Was anything of value said or just more people asking about how to import their Mass Effect save?

Edit:

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Archimago fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 15, 2014

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Archimago posted:

Oh my christ you loving spergs I'm too drunk to read all this.

Was anything of value said or just more people asking about how to import their Mass Effect save?

Elfs got there poo poo beat in a war and the lore says nobody knows who started it.

Goons want loghain to have died a noble redemptive death (but gently caress him I killed him).

And yeah, how keep works with Balders Gate 2 saves.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Byers2142 posted:

Was it this, without the song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6smo7ASr2c

Your version may be better. Record it, and dub in "The New poo poo."

Oh, i am assuming since i turned off the games music i don't get hear her sing. I thought she was going to be possessed or something weird.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Archimago posted:

Let's see, gently caress Anders, gently caress the quarians, gently caress the elves, gently caress the chantry, Leliana singing in DA:O is still creepy and dumb. That pretty much sums up the last few pages I think.

edit:

Bombadilillo posted:

Goons want loghain to have died a noble redemptive death (but gently caress him I killed him).

Oh, yeah, and gently caress Loghain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What do you think smells more pungent, a Qunari after a three day battle or a Quarian after a six mile hike in the summertime?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Byers2142 posted:

Let's see, gently caress Anders, gently caress the quarians, gently caress the elves, gently caress the chantry, Leliana singing in DA:O is still creepy and dumb. That pretty much sums up the last few pages I think.

edit:

Oh, yeah, and gently caress Loghain.

Accept my Origin friend request you rear end in a top hat. and add me to to your top 8.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Drifter posted:

What do you think smells more pungent, a Qunari after a three day battle or a Quarian after a six mile hike in the summertime?

Someone has done the research on what a sweaty quarian smells like.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
^ Taste. We know how Quarian sweat tastes.

Drifter posted:

Clearly we need to use advanced biochemistry to determine how both races smell after such excursions.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Archimago posted:

Accept my Origin friend request you rear end in a top hat. and add me to to your top 8.

Accepted. Top 8?

Kaizer88 posted:

Someone has done the research on what a sweaty quarian smells like.

Someone's also written a PhD thesis on Lady Gaga. It's the John Hammond effect; they're so enamored by if they can, they don't question if they should.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I'm really drunk and feel like shitposting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

I'm really drunk and feel like shitposting.

So...no change, then?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

So...no change, then?

I contribute quality posting to this thread.

I read the OP and the most recent pages before I started posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Personally I feel Dragon Age: Inquisition will be a video game.

• Locked thread