Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
you can smell it too. sometimes it gets so bad it turns into a fog that blots out the sun and which people call "shog" for poo poo and fog or "shust" for poo poo and dust

https://twitter.com/TexasObserver/status/1225606857764392960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That Panhandle Perfume. I remember the smells of living in Lubbock quite well when the wind shifted juuust right And Lubbock's mainly a college/cotton town with some ranching, not a feed lot town. I imagine it can get a whole lot worse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

That Panhandle Perfume. I remember the smells of living in Lubbock quite well when the wind shifted juuust right And Lubbock's mainly a college/cotton town with some ranching, not a feed lot town. I imagine it can get a whole lot worse.

It's a poo poo town.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Are you sure that was 2016? The story I was hearing was that it was 2008 where the caucus suddenly became a deciding factor in the primaries and Obama ended up winning most of the delegates while losing the primary due to the caucus.

Apparently it was abolished in 2015 due to the DNC not wanting Texas to have both processes anymore.
https://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/07/texplainer-whats-texas-two-step-and-why-it-gone/

Huh, I guess I misremembered. Fair enough.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

you can smell it too. sometimes it gets so bad it turns into a fog that blots out the sun and which people call "shog" for poo poo and fog or "shust" for poo poo and dust

https://twitter.com/TexasObserver/status/1225606857764392960

The smell is awful.

I am lucky in that my asthma reacts to tree pollen, and there's no trees here, so I actually breathe better in the poo poo town!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/James_Barragan/status/1225776553839251456

Why is everyone so goddamn stupid

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Yes, Republicans think Democrats are bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's very much a "couldn't even beat Ted Cruz" tier take

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

JosefStalinator posted:

The smell is awful.

I am lucky in that my asthma reacts to tree pollen, and there's no trees here, so I actually breathe better in the poo poo town!

Huh, I figured that Live song was about somewhere in PA

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was at the last texas two step caucus in 2008. Barely any Hillary people showed up so we just hosed with the platform for our precinct to get voted on at the state level. Censuring israel, medicare for all, closing military bases. It owned

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

I was at the last texas two step caucus in 2008. Barely any Hillary people showed up so we just hosed with the platform for our precinct to get voted on at the state level. Censuring israel, medicare for all, closing military bases. It owned

I pretty much rigged my district caucus delegate vote (as an Al Sharpton delegate) in 2004 because barely anyone showed up for our district but everyone who did except me wanted to go on to the next level. So I suggested a voting method that ensured if my friend and I voted for her, she would definitely get to go to the state level.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

from the comments on this article:

waco, that's a good throwback. a more innocent time

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Dameius posted:

The real question though is not whether you wear a cowboy hat with it, but if you go with the bolo tie.

I'm from Canada but when do the cowboy stuff I thought it was a dinner jacket, a dress shirt with bolo tie, hat, and boots with good jeans. I think next time I go to an event I'll cast my own themed belt buckle [I work in tech so it'll be something gaudy and tech related].

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Knocking on doors for Bernie today in NTX. Not sure how much good it'll do, but I at least wanna say I tried.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Knocking on doors for Bernie today in NTX. Not sure how much good it'll do, but I at least wanna say I tried.

:patriot:

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

drat, mad respect to people who keep doing this. 50 houses with a total of three answers, all of them angry, like, lady, I don't like that I'm here either.

I'll still do it again and all, but it's draining.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I canvassed in Austin for Warren today. It probably varies on city and neighborhood. The neighborhood I went to today (Cherrywood), a lot more people opened their doors and chatted than in north Austin last weekend. I was surprised.

There's some older folks I meet though that like...I kind of worry about leaving them alone after talking to them. Like, only one person there is registered and they're visibly sick or frail - is anyone checking up on them? It's the social worker in me.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
That's perfectly normal. Knocked on nearly 200 doors and nearly almost nobody bothered to answer the door. But it's all worth it when you manage to find a person who is solidly with you. For many it's literally the first time they're going to get anyone canvassing at their door.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

every morning at five i open my window and scream "vote for daddy bernie, bitch" into the alleyway

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1226918875645739008?s=20

This is giving me pause

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol can't wait for the scorched-earth Sema attacks using Baldwin's daughter voice mail

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m sorry but liking Baldwin’s Trump sketches is disqualifying

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

breaking: colin jost in south san antonio for tzintzun-ramirez fundraiser, stirring up the base

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/gregstohr/status/1226970273691439105?s=21

States rights for me not thee

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I know there is some mechanism to look up whether or not you voted, but is it publicly accessible which primary you voted in?

I have a local GOP primary someone I know is running in and don’t really advertise that I’m a leftist due to the area I live in. I just want to know if I have to be prepared for them to know I didn’t vote for them.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I know there is some mechanism to look up whether or not you voted, but is it publicly accessible which primary you voted in?

I have a local GOP primary someone I know is running in and don’t really advertise that I’m a leftist due to the area I live in. I just want to know if I have to be prepared for them to know I didn’t vote for them.

Just tell them that you voted for them. It's not like they're going to double check on that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just say you were operation chaosing in the D primary and voting for Bernie to own the libs and you'll actually technically be telling the truth.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Just say you were operation chaosing in the D primary and voting for Bernie to own the libs and you'll actually technically be telling the truth.

^ Lying through telling the truth is your best bet.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Luckyellow posted:

Just tell them that you voted for them. It's not like they're going to double check on that.

This guy has looked up other people we know in his Republican voter file he has access to as a candidate, so I wouldn’t put it past him. And apparently it is public info because I looked myself up in an app called VoteWithMe and it had all the primaries I voted in previously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's some curious behavior, just tell him you aren't a Republican.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yes - it's public information, but not usually published - if they really wanted to they could request that info from the county, or if they have access to a voter database like VAN (for Democrats) that info is automatically entered.

Primary voting history is how campaigns build their targets.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Also - don't know where you're living, but be who you are, let your freak flag fly - I understand how small towns can be suffocating when it comes to deviating from the norm (which is always white-Christian-Republican), but that can't ever be changed if we don't publicly advocate for the things we want to be better.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 11, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1227339245515395073

Love ya Bernie but you got Austin locked down, no need to come here, especially between the hours of 7-9am and 4-7pm, thank's

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1227338366473134080

Briscoe Cain has a lot of kids for being 21 years old

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 11, 2020

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

wait what the gently caress kind of name is "Bergundi"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I took a look at the primary sample ballots today and the contrast between Democratic and Republican ballot propositions is just fantastic.

https://www.texasdemocrats.org/our-party/party-resources/our-texas-bill-of-rights/

https://www.texasgop.org/republican-primary-ballot-propositions/

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

wait what the gently caress kind of name is "Bergundi"

Ber-gun-di: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Ber. Gun. Di.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Catch “Briscoe and Bergundi” on Tuesdays this fall, only on the USA Network

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FBS posted:

I took a look at the primary sample ballots today and the contrast between Democratic and Republican ballot propositions is just fantastic.

https://www.texasdemocrats.org/our-party/party-resources/our-texas-bill-of-rights/

https://www.texasgop.org/republican-primary-ballot-propositions/

What's this about?

republican-primary-ballot-propositions posted:

3.) Texas should ban the practice of taxpayer-funded lobbying, which allows your tax dollars to be spent on lobbyists who work against the taxpayer.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

LLSix posted:

What's this about?

Zoux can expound more on this - but:

Republicans hate cities because they are filled with minorities, poors, and homosexuals and they tax people to pay for things that Republicans hate like roads, water, sewer, libraries, parks for said poors, minorities and homosexuals.

Cities have also formed a once powerful (but now just consistently owned) lobbying group called the TML to fight against bills that target the cities and prevent them from raising revenue, delivering service to their citizens, and legislate when their boundaries (e.g., overturn of fracking ban, attempted overturn of sick leave ordinances). Cities have government affairs departments that do lobby on their behalf and hire professional lobbyists during session.

Republicans want to eliminate all resistance from cities, so have framed it as "taxpayer funded lobbying" to ensure that cities and counties can't expend any money to lobby the legislature to protect their interests.

Bonnen's tape shows the utter contempt the Texas Republican Party has for cities and counties stating “Any mayor, county judge that was dumb rear end enough to come meet with me,I told them with great clarity, my goal is for this to be the worst session in the history of the legislature for cities and counties.”

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Bernie Sanders is doing his Houston office opening on 69th(!!!!) St. in the East End on the same day and at the same time as the Harris County Democratic Party's Johnson-Rayburn-Richards dinner which is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the party to build its turnout operation. It will show a huge contrast since Bloomberg is speaking at the event (I've been told all Presidential campaigns that reached out were given time) with a bunch millionaires and high income people while Bernie is 2 miles away in the impoverished East End in the shadow of the chemical industry building a grassroots movement.

I get why he did it - but also a dick move since county parties are turnout operations which he is going to need in November.