Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ballz posted:

So uh, any thoughts on this?

I know it’s portable so already it’s probably kind of meh, but it does sound like a step up from a Crosley with a belt drive and replaceable stylus. I’ve been wanting a halfway decent turntable that can handle 78s, so maybe a Dilla themed box is the way to go?

It's literally "poo poo generic record player from China #2" just like Crosley.

e: It's this: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/suitcase-turntable-LP-usb-portable-music_60625908121.html (Note that the price on this listing is for one unit. Naturally they ordered several hundred so maybe 10-15$ a piece?) It doesn't have a magnetic cartridge (they never do) so it will absolutely sound like rear end even if you're not an audiophile.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Do any of y'all have experience with insuring your collections? My friends have been urging me to insure mine against earthquakes and/or general shelf collapse, but I have no idea how to find an insurance agent who covers stuff like this. (The renter's policy I have through my apartment building is obviously not going to be sufficient.)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

trdn89 posted:

Do any of y'all have experience with insuring your collections? My friends have been urging me to insure mine against earthquakes and/or general shelf collapse, but I have no idea how to find an insurance agent who covers stuff like this. (The renter's policy I have through my apartment building is obviously not going to be sufficient.)

Whoever does your car insurance should be able to set you up with a personal property policy, which will cover other valuables as well. Just make sure you have a good (discogs lol) catalog of your collection somewhere offsite, and pictures are always good too.

If you don't have car insurance, an insurance company like State Farm does all that poo poo in a one-stop shop. And frankly you should have a better insurance policy than the one through your apartment building.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It also depends on what your collection is worth. I've known collectors that don't bother, because the cost of insurance is ridiculous.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Banano posted:

WTF record of the month goes to this:

the shop i got it from doesn't let you listen to anything, but a Roger Troutman and Zappp / highland warrior cosplay crossover was too intriguing to pass up.
Holy poo poo, Jesse Ray! This was his only "hit" afaik:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOad0FU9zF8

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So those Eno reissues are coming out in a single LP format and they retail for 18.99 if anyone wanted them but didn't want to shell out 35 bucks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

So those Eno reissues are coming out in a single LP format and they retail for 18.99 if anyone wanted them but didn't want to shell out 35 bucks.

That is real good news. I was reeeeeeally considering dropping that cash for TTMBS, if not all of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know if that half speed mastered 45 rpm poo poo is really worth the extra money? I know it's supposed to have better bass response or something but I'm also assuming that the single LP releases are made from the same masters, so what's up with that poo poo?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn't even know this was released again, dangit.

Whoever is doing it has said that they plan on having enough copies for everyone. Don’t pay more than $20 for it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know if that half speed mastered 45 rpm poo poo is really worth the extra money? I know it's supposed to have better bass response or something but I'm also assuming that the single LP releases are made from the same masters, so what's up with that poo poo?

The idea is that a 45 RPM record will sound better because of a few things:

1. The groove will have more space to represent the sound since the record is running faster. In general, faster speeds mean you can represent the sound wave more accurately. Think of having one sheet of paper to draw something versus two.
2. You're probably putting less onto the record, which means that inner groove distortion will be less of a thing. Since you can't cut as much time on a record running at 45 RPM as you can on a record running at 33 1/3, and you're likely cutting this with audiophiles in mind, you're going to have shorter sides than usual.

Of the two reasons, 2 would probably have the most chance of having a real impact, but inner groove distortion is something most modern mastering engineers try to work around anyway. Like, when I think back to the records I have with bad IGD, it's usually stuff from the 80s (10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe has terrible IGD on the first side, for exaple).

Also, the single LP releases cannot be made from the same masters. Unless of course by master you mean the source for the album, which is also helpfully called the master. But the master made for the vinyl pressings would obviously be different, so you would make different EQ choices or compression choices to get these onto one LP at 33 1/3 RPMs, which can also result a different sound. But even then, it's not like the 70s, where albums could have VASTLY different sounds since it's probably being handled by the same people and they're trying to represent the master handed to them as accurately as possible.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

cutting at half speed means that high frequencies are now mid frequencies which are much easier to cut accurately. It should improve stereo imaging as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

The idea is that a 45 RPM record will sound better because of a few things:

1. The groove will have more space to represent the sound since the record is running faster. In general, faster speeds mean you can represent the sound wave more accurately. Think of having one sheet of paper to draw something versus two.
2. You're probably putting less onto the record, which means that inner groove distortion will be less of a thing. Since you can't cut as much time on a record running at 45 RPM as you can on a record running at 33 1/3, and you're likely cutting this with audiophiles in mind, you're going to have shorter sides than usual.

Of the two reasons, 2 would probably have the most chance of having a real impact, but inner groove distortion is something most modern mastering engineers try to work around anyway. Like, when I think back to the records I have with bad IGD, it's usually stuff from the 80s (10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe has terrible IGD on the first side, for exaple).

Also, the single LP releases cannot be made from the same masters. Unless of course by master you mean the source for the album, which is also helpfully called the master. But the master made for the vinyl pressings would obviously be different, so you would make different EQ choices or compression choices to get these onto one LP at 33 1/3 RPMs, which can also result a different sound. But even then, it's not like the 70s, where albums could have VASTLY different sounds since it's probably being handled by the same people and they're trying to represent the master handed to them as accurately as possible.

All very informative, thank you. You also got at what I really wanted to know, which is if these were made by the same people would there really be that much of a gap in quality. It is coming from the same label at the very least. Ideally I would like to get the more expensive pressings but I'm not made of money and I already have all but one of these albums.

Banano posted:

cutting at half speed means that high frequencies are now mid frequencies which are much easier to cut accurately. It should improve stereo imaging as well.

I'm aware of this much, I mostly just wanted to know if it's really a night and day thing. I do own a bunch of half speed mastered LPs but I've never actually compared them to other versions.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

All very informative, thank you. You also got at what I really wanted to know, which is if these were made by the same people would there really be that much of a gap in quality. It is coming from the same label at the very least. Ideally I would like to get the more expensive pressings but I'm not made of money and I already have all but one of these albums.

I'm aware of this much, I mostly just wanted to know if it's really a night and day thing. I do own a bunch of half speed mastered LPs but I've never actually compared them to other versions.

I've compared a half-speed master of Metallica - Kill Em All to an original pressing of the record. It really is night and day. At least with that release and its trash metal production.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Super dumb question about speakers I need answering:

I want to buy my gf this: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-PL-3...038%5Bb%7Cdeals

I have a JBL Creature subwoofer and speakers from like 2003. I connect it to my PC and iPhone through the aux cable. Is that possible with this or do I need a receiver?

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 8, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I have speakers that have a subwoofer and two speakers. I connect it to my PC and iPhone through aux. Is that possible with this or do I need a receiver?

It has a switchable pre-amp built in. So just turn that on and you'll have a line-level signal that your speakers are expecting.

The turntable probably only has RCA outputs though, so you'll probably need a Y-adapter to plug into your speakers.

edit: Assuming your speakers are powered. Most are, but I probably shouldn't assume anything.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 8, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I have a JBL Creature subwoofer and speakers from like 2003. I connect it to my PC and iPhone through the aux cable. Is that possible with this or do I need a receiver?

You need an amp of some sort. A receiver is the simplest way, but then you probably want better speakers than computer speakers.

Or that^^

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

wa27 posted:

It has a switchable pre-amp built in. So just turn that on and you'll have a line-level signal that your speakers are expecting.

The turntable probably only has RCA outputs though, so you'll probably need a Y-adapter to plug into your speakers.

edit: Assuming your speakers are powered. Most are, but I probably shouldn't assume anything.

Yup, speakers are powered.

So in dumb-dumb terms, I'd plug the red and white RCA cables into the Y-Adapter that would plug into my speaker via the Aux and that'd be all I need?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Yup, speakers are powered.

So in dumb-dumb terms, I'd plug the red and white RCA cables into the Y-Adapter that would plug into my speaker via the Aux and that'd be all I need?

That's right. :)

Looks like a good deal on that Pioneer, too.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

wa27 posted:

That's right. :)

Looks like a good deal on that Pioneer, too.

Cool cool.

Also, what do you guys think about this starter record player instead? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008872SI...la-408792869884

It seems to come with the y-adapters too.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Nothing wrong with the audio technica but that's a really good deal on the pioneer.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
The Nxworries remix album comes out RSDBF, all of y'all talking about it being underwhelming. :colbert: But for real, other than that, the list is pretty poo poo.

Best Buy is doing preorders for Scum gently caress Flower Boy for around that time too, but I haven't been assed to do the research over it being the boot that's been floating around or the black press from Golf yet. Be nice to have a playable copy since I'm one of the dickbags who got the yellow press.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
between Lemonade and SFFB, 2017 hasn't been the strongest year for releasing records on yellow vinyl in a timely fashion

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Have they said anything at all about the yellow pressing of SFFB? I too am an rear end in a top hat who ordered it and it’s kinda annoying not to hear a peep on it. I don’t mind if it doesn’t come till next year but at least send an email out or something.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Skeezy posted:

Have they said anything at all about the yellow pressing of SFFB? I too am an rear end in a top hat who ordered it and it’s kinda annoying not to hear a peep on it. I don’t mind if it doesn’t come till next year but at least send an email out or something.

Oh man, I was kicking myself when the date had passed on pre-ordering SFFB on yellow vinyl (still doing so though). I did just receive my Chromeo - Fancier Footwork double white vinyl! I will take a picture later tonight when I get home.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Here's some not vinyl for someone to enjoy

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Skeezy posted:

They said it would ship in two weeks over a month ago. :shrug:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is Bandcamp good about refunds? Still no sign of my FLORAL SHOPPE order and OESB isn't responding on Twitter

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I would try contacting them through their Bandcamp page first, they may pay more attention to that than Twitter in terms of customer service issues. If they don't get back to you, you'll need to dispute it through Paypal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mike_V posted:

Is Bandcamp good about refunds? Still no sign of my FLORAL SHOPPE order and OESB isn't responding on Twitter

I saw people talking about it on the Discogs page for that release, they just sound like they're really inundated and it's taking time. I put an order in and it's not due for over a month, my friends is due in like January.

There is a way of finding the due date in Bandcamp but it's convuluted and doesn't make sense. I think you have to go to Help page and scroll down to a specific section.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Target has a vinyl section now. Strangely it was mostly dad rock.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
very strange

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

:thinkyface:

Moved up to NY state 4 weeks ago, double boxed and packed up all my LPs. Too heavy to fit into my car so everything except 3 boxes got put into the moving cubes. Gave away the big expedit back in TN, too. There's nowhere to actually shelve records, none of the boxes are labeled, and I don't expect to be in this apartment for over a year so everything's still boxed up and just stuffed in every closet. It's just 45s and whatever new poo poo I buy.

Record store up here is nice, plus there was a record show a couple of weeks ago. Compared to the stores I'd hit in the south, I'm seriously jealous of the stores UP NORF. Jazz sections with actual jazz, reggae sections that aren't just burnt UB40 and Aswad 12"s, etc etc.

Plus I found a box of 7s while moving that I thought I'd lost way back in the day. 1st leftover crack, spitboy, kakistocracy, some beer city nonsense etc etc

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 16, 2017

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
just saw chill callahan yazz finds. jesus christ man.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Mike_V posted:

Wait that got a reissue? poo poo... I am really bummed I missed it :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

super nailgun posted:

Wait that got a reissue? poo poo... I am really bummed I missed it :(

From my understanding they are planning on making a ton of those. Don’t pay more than $20 for it.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I somehow found Amplifier Worship and the Low Frequency Edition of Absolutego+ at the same store. Both in perfect shape.

My house is going to shake.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Boinks posted:

If you look online at a lot of major retailers, there's a pretty weird amount of records there. Best Buy's been my plug for recently pressed but hard-to-get stuff for a minute now.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

:thinkyface:

Moved up to NY state 4 weeks ago, double boxed and packed up all my LPs. Too heavy to fit into my car so everything except 3 boxes got put into the moving cubes. Gave away the big expedit back in TN, too. There's nowhere to actually shelve records, none of the boxes are labeled, and I don't expect to be in this apartment for over a year so everything's still boxed up and just stuffed in every closet. It's just 45s and whatever new poo poo I buy.

Record store up here is nice, plus there was a record show a couple of weeks ago. Compared to the stores I'd hit in the south, I'm seriously jealous of the stores UP NORF. Jazz sections with actual jazz, reggae sections that aren't just burnt UB40 and Aswad 12"s, etc etc.

Plus I found a box of 7s while moving that I thought I'd lost way back in the day. 1st leftover crack, spitboy, kakistocracy, some beer city nonsense etc etc

good poo poo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Every place I've seen selling records that isn't an actual record store just has a mediocre section of overpriced classic rock reissues and a couple of new pop albums. It's dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

MNSNTZR posted:

If you look online at a lot of major retailers, there's a pretty weird amount of records there. Best Buy's been my plug for recently pressed but hard-to-get stuff for a minute now.

Never forget that time Sears had an amazing selection of everything at half the price of Amazon. It was a glorious run.