Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

curufinor posted:

Grand Fromage's friend's scenario, specifically could actually happen in Japan, I think. Japan included protection of sensitive information in the privacy law May 30 2017 (two weeks ago) but it's routine to add a rider to employment contracts that medical information is collected by the company and used by the company. Nothing nearly as strict as HIPPA. Moreover, big employers also routinely do actual health checks on their employees. In fact, they're mandated by Japan's equivalent of OSHA to do so, I think, and are required by same to store that poo poo (in a secure DB).

(frankly, if Americans didn't have HIPPA, I could easily imagine a completely identical scenario in the deep rural South. thank Kennedy I guess)

edit: Taiwan has an adultery law on the books which is actually enforced and fairly supported - lol. Adultery legal in Korea since 2015, but still a valid tort in Japan. Technically illegal in Massachusetts I learned - but getting a prosecutor to prosecute... lol

Best china is anti cuck????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I had a boss once who phoned her cousin who was a nurse at the local hospital to find out exactly what illness a coworker had and why his doctor had given him a week off recommended (the doctor didn't disclose on the sicknote because laws and it was sensitive/embarrassing illness but the cousin spilled the hot gossip lol)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haier posted:

Y'all know that feel when you're tired of Chinese food and you go to the foreigny supermarket and they got that deli with non-Chinese stuff going on and you find your take-out box? That's a good feel.

They had pasta salad last time, but spaghetti will do. Cheese potatoes was p good. I still had to eat it all with chopsticks though. SAD.

was it real spaghetti or did it have way too much sugar (possibly ketchup) in it? Thats one thing I cant stand about spaghetti at asian places

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Also if anyone remembers me getting Whitey Priced at a local diner in the poor area of Hong Kong, where things included were told to me that they weren't... in the same area, different diner, it nearly happened again. Blackboard with Chinese on outside with prices, same on the walls. I get handed the English menu (laminated, bad translation, less than half the menu items - you know, the usual) and the prices were 10% higher than the wall. And then to get a cold drink was +16hkd (!), hot drink was +14hkd. For reference, it's normally between +2 and +8hkd, and 8 would be really inusually expensive. And yes, I'm sure, I did a triple loving take. I guess palefaces in the tropics really need those drinks.

So I put the menu to one side and order in cantonese, the bill has the wall price on it and my iced coffee was only +4 (I think a hot drink would have been free) and I got a bowl of meaty broth for free too (English menu, of course, said nothing about this). I think they gave me the least meaty soup but they gave me loads of char siu and holy gently caress it's just about the best char siu I've ever had. So I'll be going back again.

(E: I suppose this is where I should traditionally write "everyone stood and clapped" but instead of course everyone just sat and stared at the white guy speaking canto)

Chinese businesses are more stereotypically Jewish about pennypinching than any real-life Jew I've ever met, who have all been very generous

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 15, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Wait a minute

Was this in Chuncheon/Hongcheon? The guy I worked for there was a Kiwiphile who was always spying on me and my coworker.

In a delightful bit of schadenfreude, he ended up losing the school and was up to his tits in debt to his father-in-law. Delicious.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

simplefish posted:

Chinese businesses are more stereotypically Jewish about pennypinching than any real-life Jew I've ever met, who have all been very generous

Government-supported hawker stalls in Singapore are about two-thirds Chinese-owned and are mandated to generally spend about 66% on food costs

Typical for a normal US restaurant is... about a thirdish

Result is actually pretty good, since the owners are basically forced by the government to work for the stall, unless they have a super high traffic area (most are p. drat high traffic), and they penny-pinch, but in a government-regulated way

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Stringent posted:

google "hun skull"

I did and it was interesting but i could only really find fact and not fiction on wiki would you happen to have a more scientific source?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
nope, go ask in here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

i'd like to hear more about it myself.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

In korea they only have access to your med records if theyre sponsering your visa.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Micky Chuggers is a piece of poo poo excuse for a human being and basically a waste of oxygen. Bear that in mind any time he writes or hosts anything

E: not to rant, but it basically boils down to him being pro-Beijing Puppet Government until he himself is personally inconvenienced, then he'll bitch about a single politician or department (never the CE) for three solid days in his column about how he's been wronged over some minor insignificance, and based on this proclaims himself as objective because sometimes he doesn't lick the government's shithole quite completely 100% clean after they drop a steaming turd on the rest of us

simplefish fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 15, 2017

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Hahahahaha I'm dying here

All my teacher colleagues think it's great that a parent actually did what we've all wanted to do

Hong Kong Economic Journal Insight posted:

http://www.ejinsight.com/20170615-anti-bca-parents-burn-test-papers-outside-kowloon-tong-school/

Anti-BCA parents burn test papers outside Kowloon Tong school

A group of parents staged a protest and burned test papers outside a school in Kowloon Tong where the Education Bureau’s controversial Basic Competency Assessment (BCA) exams were being held, prompting police officers and firemen to arrive at the scene.

The protesters gathered outside the entrance of the Holy Family Canossian School (Kowloon Tong) (HFCSKT) at around 7:45 a.m. on Wednesday and burned test papers in a metal joss paper burner to protest the BCA, which they said is overburdening their children with more reviews and studies, hk01.com reports.

School principal Magdalen Shiu Yuen-fun said the students were frightened by the group’s protest, prompting some of their parents to call the police, adding that the children panicked when the fire engines arrived.

Shiu was seen taking a video of the protest and ripping some posters calling on parents to boycott the BCA, Ming Pao Daily reported.

Cheung Yim-shuen, a spokeswoman for another anti-BCA parents’ group, said they were not encouraging parents to take it out on schools, although it is understandable that parents are indignant because the government insists on pushing through with the controversial tests.

Cheung stressed that it is the education system that is at fault, and not any particular school or principal.

At the same time, she advised school administrators not to overreact and call the police when parents stage protests.

Lawmaker Ip Kin-yuen said he fully understands the parents’ emotions but it is important to ensure the safety of all concerned.

The Education Bureau had earlier announced that all primary three students of subvented and direct subsidy schools are required to sit the BCA tests.

Shiu has been a vocal supporter of the BCA scheme, saying the tests would help schools review and improve their teaching methods.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The more that I live here the more convinced I become that I'm in a 1950s timewarp

Whether it is me being able to get hotel guests' details over the phone that I shouldn't be able to get, just because I speak English nicely

Or gentleman's clubs waiving rules for me because I'm the right colour (wearing shorts in Dunhill's, ordering drinks in the Foreign Correspondents' club even after the ambassador whose guest I was had left, turning up to a swanky rooftop restaurant/bar opening with half-nude waitstaff in black tie, while in my sailing clobber, having come from the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club where I'd crewed for an ex-marine policeman, while definitely not being a member myself)

Or the lovely "piazza" with tinny Latin music over the tannoy, and yachts registered in the Caymans moored up just beyond the seawall

Or the CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME AND HAVE "THE HELP" CLEAR UP AFTER mentality

Or clients sending me cases of wine as a thank you

Or the rampant functional alcoholism that puts even the UK pub culture to shame

Or the corporate tickets to the rugby that I get each year on paper thin reasoning

Or the gender politics of the non-business classes

Or the Star Ferry and trams and wetmarkets

Or being in non-rejuvenated/non-gentrified bits of Kennedy Town where actually nothing has changed architecturally (lovely concrete medium-rises for all!)

Or the fact that I can hang out in lavish British colonial places and drink sundowners slowly and not be hurried up or kicked out

What I'm saying is Hong Kong is the sweaty arsecrack of China, far too humid and everyone tends to pass through it on their way out. But it has its strange appeals.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 15, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey baby just open your mouth :wink:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ok caberham came up with the sweaty arsecrack analogy BUT ITS A GOOD ONE AND DAMMIT IM GONNA USE IT

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ups_rail posted:

I am assuming these men dont know how the pill works right? that its kinda a maintenance medication that you use everyday rather than when you want to bone.

Are women suppose to hold on to their "virtue" untill marriage? or are they suppose to put out.

There must be sufficient sluts available to satisfy me, but no woman I have to deal with as a person shall be one.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hong Kong owns and is one of the best places in the world and everyone should go there

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

Hong Kong owns and is one of the best places in the world and everyone should go there

i also love sliding through asscracks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

you forgot smoking, and unspoken apartheid

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I thought I made enough reference to unspoken apartheid but yeah race is still a factor but not as much so as in Chinar. I can't speak as to Japan

Smoking in HK - well, ok. Yeah some technically non-smoking places let you smoke, but not posh ones. It's not chinar levels or even Japan levels (smoking rooms in tokyo metro, vaccuum chambers in hotel lobbies but god forbid you smoke on the street lol) but uk airports dont have smoking lounges any more so perhaps the truth is in the middle

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

simplefish posted:

The more that I live here the more convinced I become that I'm in a 1950s timewarp

Whether it is me being able to get hotel guests' details over the phone that I shouldn't be able to get, just because I speak English nicely

Or gentleman's clubs waiving rules for me because I'm the right colour (wearing shorts in Dunhill's, ordering drinks in the Foreign Correspondents' club even after the ambassador whose guest I was had left, turning up to a swanky rooftop restaurant/bar opening with half-nude waitstaff in black tie, while in my sailing clobber, having come from the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club where I'd crewed for an ex-marine policeman, while definitely not being a member myself)

Or the lovely "piazza" with tinny Latin music over the tannoy, and yachts registered in the Caymans moored up just beyond the seawall

Or the CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME AND HAVE "THE HELP" CLEAR UP AFTER mentality

Or clients sending me cases of wine as a thank you

Or the rampant functional alcoholism that puts even the UK pub culture to shame

Or the corporate tickets to the rugby that I get each year on paper thin reasoning

Or the gender politics of the non-business classes

Or the Star Ferry and trams and wetmarkets

Or being in non-rejuvenated/non-gentrified bits of Kennedy Town where actually nothing has changed architecturally (lovely concrete medium-rises for all!)

Or the fact that I can hang out in lavish British colonial places and drink sundowners slowly and not be hurried up or kicked out

What I'm saying is Hong Kong is the sweaty arsecrack of China, far too humid and everyone tends to pass through it on their way out. But it has its strange appeals.

congrats on Making It In hong Kong as a White Man and not ending up in the coked up sex pat blender factory

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\

Lady Galaga posted:

congrats on Making It In hong Kong as a White Man and not ending up in the coked up sex pat blender factory

I'm still waiting to be interviewed by a bank here

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
https://twitter.com/ObservatoryHK/status/875282095064600576

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Smoking in HongKong is very much reduced from 20 years ago.

Japan and Korea is crazy with the smoking right down to having smoketoriums at the airport.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
HK airport has plenty of smoking rooms, you can feel the stuffy cancer smoke as soon as you open the door. Stockholm puts you in open cages but the ventilation is good in those

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

curufinor posted:

Grand Fromage's friend's scenario, specifically could actually happen in Japan, I think. Japan included protection of sensitive information in the privacy law May 30 2017 (two weeks ago) but it's routine to add a rider to employment contracts that medical information is collected by the company and used by the company. Nothing nearly as strict as HIPPA. Moreover, big employers also routinely do actual health checks on their employees. In fact, they're mandated by Japan's equivalent of OSHA to do so, I think, and are required by same to store that poo poo (in a secure DB).

(frankly, if Americans didn't have HIPPA, I could easily imagine a completely identical scenario in the deep rural South. thank Kennedy I guess)

edit: Taiwan has an adultery law on the books which is actually enforced and fairly supported - lol. Adultery legal in Korea since 2015, but still a valid tort in Japan. Technically illegal in Massachusetts I learned - but getting a prosecutor to prosecute... lol

Yeah they're mandated to offer it, IIRC. In which case they're notified if there's anything wrong. If you're worried about it you can pay for it yourself and don't have to share it with them. I'm pretty sure, though, that that only applies to the health check they paid for. Like if you get birth control they won't find out unless you tell them.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Lady Galaga posted:

Hey man I'm an ethnic minority. But seriously though, you're right. A lot of expat people stop by on a 1 year posting and never surpass mgoi in cantonese. A lot more stay longer and get no further, living in the soho bubble. My cantonese is poo poo (as you know) but i was able to ask for and get a receipt because ngoh lou baan bei ngoh cin sik fan. Yeah that's probably bad cantonese but its more than most expats. Plus I'm surprised by this poo poo instead of expecting it.

Also I was thinking about :peanut: comment on aparrheid and I want to qualify that further. In situations where you can show your wealth (expensive hotel bar etc) black dudes do ok. On the other hand Cathay no longer upgrade filipinas because they upgraded a domestic helper once and a hk businessman in Business class went apeshit that she was treated like any other normal human so they screen upgrades now.

But money conquers all in HK and if you pay enough they'll overlook anything. Hence my comment about women - if you hire a helper so you can go out and earn you get treated like normal, mostly. If you are a housewife lol. My white face is only really a factor where money isn't changing hands. And yeah thats hosed up, that was the point of my post. Surely nobody thinks the 1950s was an egalitarian time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lady Galaga posted:

HK airport has plenty of smoking rooms, you can feel the stuffy cancer smoke as soon as you open the door. Stockholm puts you in open cages but the ventilation is good in those

I must have missed them. The ones I saw in Korea was on the main concourse, really hard to miss them.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Galaga posted:

how do i get involved in the coked up sex pat blender factory, sounds like something that should be right up my aisle

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

how do i get involved in the coked up sex pat blender factory, sounds like something that should be right up my aisle

Get a finance job. Seriously you can go missing on a drugs bender for days and your expat buddies will cover for you and then you come back and its like nothing happened

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

well, you've already managed step 1, ditching your wife and kids

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Maybe murder a prostitute* and hide her in a suitcase for good measure. Or molest girls on university campuses and get just a slap on the wrist like one of the ex-banker tutors I know (he was rehired by a family after his ridiculously short jail time who had full knowledge of this until I offered to take his lessons for the kid)

*south Asian

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Because good economics tutors are hard to find, y'know?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

well, you've already managed step 1, ditching your wife and kids

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1j1sB5NpY

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah that's the one

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
She was so hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqHljEf4yc

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Aye that's the rear end in a top hat right there

Edit: jervik or whatever his name was

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

This is what I was talking about, being free to go on benders:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/03/world/asia/hong-kong-banker-drugs/index.html

quote:

If you weren't going on a bender, and you were just out drinking until 3 a.m., you could go to work and function. I was one of them -- I was still functioning. But if I had a three-day bender then I had to make up excuses for being off sick, or whatever, or somebody would cover for you.

Generally, no one was really that worried. In my office there were three guys who would regularly go AWOL for three or four days, and of course the wives would worry and would be ringing everybody. People would be trying to get hold of them but you kind of knew, "they're alright, they're just in a bar somewhere, on cocaine, and they'll turn up in a few days looking ashamed and promising they won't do it again, for a week."

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 15, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hong Kong is great. If it were like 30 degrees further north and an independent city state I'd probably settle there.

• Locked thread