Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if you legit hasn't seen it before

quote:

p. interesting

quote:

p. popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

zokie posted:

code:
    /// <summary>
    /// Initializes a new instance of the <see cref="T:Zokie.Buttz.ButtMaker"/> class.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="size">The size of the butt.</param><param name="color">The color of the poop.</param>
    ///<exception cref="T:System.ArgumentException"><paramref name="size"/> is negative or null.
    ///</exception>
    ///<exception cref="T:System.ArgumentException"><paramref name="color"/> is not Brown</exception> 
If only there was a way to document stuff.

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

these are indeed fragments of a post i have made, good quoting work werthog

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

A wireless sensor device with a fair bit of fixed-point math code in its firmware

bitch

:c00l:

poo poo any sort of embedded work needs a lot of bit manipulation. Computer graphics, data compression, encryption, VMs or script interpreters for your lovely p-langs, there's a whole world out there beyond database skins.

or ok how about that clusterfuck with Scala and Facebook's Android app. A precious p-lang snowflake says "oh yay fewer keystrokes! :downs: let's go blog about this wonderful discovery", somebody who actually knows what the gently caress is going on says "hmm, that's interesting, this language looks cool but I wonder how the type systems and semantics map to those of the JVM?" and then looks at the implementation details, actually understands what he sees and says "oh god :gonk: ".

and then sees that loving trainwreck coming from a mile away instead of spending god knows how many person hours getting mired in some horrible tar pit

My code crashes! What is memory?

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
seriouspost: if i learn python and a take data structures and algorithms will i be able to get a job when i graduate y/n?

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
sure, suckin dick!!

or programming

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
i'm not a cs major. what do i need to know to/classes must i take to become computer employable.

someone smart told me that all i need to do is take like 3 CS classes and get good at solving brainteasers on the fly and google will hire me but idk

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

buttcoin smuggler posted:

i'm not a cs major. what do i need to know to/classes must i take to become computer employable.

someone smart told me that all i need to do is take like 3 CS classes and get good at solving brainteasers on the fly and google will hire me but idk

if you don't care about being a barista, you won't necessarily be a lovely barista

if you don't care about writing code, you will be a bad programmer

if you don't care about computer science and math, you will be a bad computer scientist

do it if you care about it, or have some grudge against the world, or you know your spite can fuel you

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

why the hell would you want to work at google? and don't count on it if you ever got an A- ever in your life. ask rotor, they wanted his college transcripts, lol

considering theres like a zillion different directions you can go all with varyingly difficult barriers to entry this question is p vague. Web development is pretty easy and a good way to get your foot in the door and you can always (attempt to) move on later when you figure out how stupid it is

but seriously there are so many different computer things that i dont even know about. server janitoring is one that i think you can get into that pays p decently and you'd do pretty well with a general BS degree and a few certifications.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

seriouspost: if i learn python and a take data structures and algorithms will i be able to get a job when i graduate y/n?

maybe, don't forget internships or smth idk. theory classes are good, you def need data structures and algorithms to get an interesting job but more theory always helps

or just take whatever and work for tbc

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
if you're worried about not having a CS degree, just take some time to Build Some Things (websites, apps, shell scripts, just get them on dat github) so you can show "im not just some chucklefuck who suddenly had a change of heart about his english major, i actually am in this for more than just money"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
btw speaking of building things: did you know that the only thing worse than web app development is mobile web app development?

get used to the world of 10fps css animations (and that's after forcing GPU acceleration) and random things that don't work (what do you mean i can't .focus() a text field unless it's in a click event??)

i'm also considering using phonegap so i can have actual multitasking and a semi-standalone app, so that should be an exciting thing i'll never want to do again

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there are also a lot of smaller businesses that need a programmer (although they don't know it) but don't need a guy with a phd in algorithms. if you have another skill/interest, you can study that and minor in CS (or just learn to program on thte side)

i started out working in tv, but now i basically program full time because holy poo poo, so many industries waste an insane amount of time manually doing things that can be asily automated. no one has written programs for these things because most of it is weird/proprietary

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

abraham linksys posted:

get used to the world of 10fps css animations (and that's after forcing GPU acceleration) and random things that don't work (what do you mean i can't .focus() a text field unless it's in a click event??)

this sounds like it's probably a security thing

e: I once reported a bug in WebKit KHTML that let you jack arbitrary files off people's disks using a file upload control. Sure, technically it wasn't supposed to work if set it invisible using CSS, wasn't no rule against moving it 9999 px off to the left tho

aah those were the days

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

chumpchous posted:

there are also a lot of smaller businesses that need a programmer (although they don't know it) but don't need a guy with a phd in algorithms. if you have another skill/interest, you can study that and minor in CS (or just learn to program on thte side)

i started out working in tv, but now i basically program full time because holy poo poo, so many industries waste an insane amount of time manually doing things that can be asily automated. no one has written programs for these things because most of it is weird/proprietary

btw all the good courses will only fill up a CS minor

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i hated checked exceptions until i learned to use them properly and now i think they're the best thing ever

c#'s model just leads to all exceptions being ignored always, what's the point of it

anyone who writes catch(Exception e) or even worse Throwable t anywhere but the top level of a servlet should be summarily executed

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

i hated checked exceptions until i learned to use them properly and now i think they're the best thing ever

c#'s model just leads to all exceptions being ignored always, what's the point of it

anyone who writes catch(Exception e) or even worse Throwable t anywhere but the top level of a servlet should be summarily executed

basically you learned to not be a bad careless dev. but 90% of devs don't want to learn anything except P-langs on Pails

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what is a p-lang?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

chumpchous posted:

what is a p-lang?

any language that the person posting doesn't like

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

btw all the good courses will only fill up a CS minor

which are these?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

which are these?

for me the real meaty classes were called data structures, advanced data structures, systems programming, algorithm analysis, etc

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Socracheese posted:

for me the real meaty classes were called data structures, advanced data structures, systems programming, algorithm analysis, etc

it was less depressing when i assumed you hadn't taken these classes.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
you are suppose to skip the meaty ones cause they are hard

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
that's all old-school stuff, did you take any classes aobut making web

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

chumpchous posted:

what is a p-lang?

productive languages where you can write simple code and have it work, such as a "hello world" program in one line, or a program to screen scrape a web page in under ten lines

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
you know what bugs me? that thing where stuff is like "in this new language, you can write a web server in only 3 lines of code!"

code:
w = WebServer(8080)
w.setDocRoot("file:///Users/rotor/www")
w.start()
and then pretends that this means its a super productive language because omg only three lines?!?!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my new language called "httpd" requires zero (0) sloc!

code:
$ echo -n "" > fart.httpd
$ httpd < fart.httpd

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

rotor posted:

you know what bugs me? that thing where stuff is like "in this new language, you can write a web server in only 3 lines of code!"

code:
w = WebServer(8080)
w.start()
and then pretends that this means its a super productive language because omg only three lines?!?!

node.js.jpeg2000

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i only went to the website 2 or 3 times, but that stood out to me the most and was very confusing.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

rotor posted:

code:
w = WebServer(8080)
w.start()

someone needs to write an hq9+ for this kind of stuff

you only have statements: one starts a blog engine, one starts a file server, and one prints hello world

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I didn't notice the yospos bitch in tefs av before is that new?

And also text editing, programming languages, Internet, donglecon. I didn't read recent posts but I'm probably on topic with that.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

well how else are you going to convince CTOs that this is The Language that saves people from thinking

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

From gar1t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbY3TMUcgQ

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

spongeh posted:

any language that the person posting doesn't like

it seems to boil down to compiled versus non-compiled* languages

* perl and python get compiled into bytecode, but it's not a distinct step from executing them, so they are considered non-compiled here

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

yaoi prophet posted:

someone needs to write an hq9+ for this kind of stuff

you only have statements: one starts a blog engine, one starts a file server, and one prints hello world

HQ9+B, an ℒ-complete extension of HQ9+.

:okpos:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

chumpchous posted:

what is a p-lang?

languages that start w/ p. python, perl, php, ruby, etc... they're all bad languages

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

languages that start w/ p. python, perl, php, ruby, etc... they're all bad languages

powershell?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
picrosoft c#

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

pnode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006