Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Honestly a TOS expansion would probably get me to install and try and play this lovely game again.

I have an unhealthy love for TOS.

It's honestly not that bad these days. There are enough weird or useful powers in circulation that ground combat isn't a pain, the space combat is still good, the story at least has the appearance of being interesting and it's not particularly difficult to grind rep and/or save up for a decent set of endgame gear, all things considered. As mentioned earlier today, alts are still a massive problem but picking one main and sticking with it isn't too difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The thing I really do miss pre-DR is I had like eight alts that all did a different thing but afterwards basically just stuck with one character because it really became too much work to play multiple characters.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Berke Negri posted:

The thing I really do miss pre-DR is I had like eight alts that all did a different thing but afterwards basically just stuck with one character because it really became too much work to play multiple characters.

My alts all do vaguely different things, but it's all variations on the theme of 'use as many ship traits from event ships and what I have unlocked in the c store as possible'.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's been said a thousand times, but he's an incomplete list of character-specific stuff you'd need to rebuy or redo on an alt to get them equivalent to a "main" character.
  • Specializations. Not too bad with admiralty and such at least, especially since you really only need to max two.
  • Reputations. Not too bad with sponsorship at least, though Iconian marks are obnoxious.
  • Common equipment. You can shuffle crafted gear around, but everything else is character-specific. Get to re-buy and re-upgrade all those rep items! And of course lockbox and lobi stuff is character bound too.
  • Fleet equipment. So are fleet purchases like tac and sci consoles, which are both expensive and basically mandatory. Not to mention, what, 700+k worth of fleet credits in trait slot unlocks?
  • Premium equipment. Well, pretty much plasmonic leech if you're a Fed, but that's a good 100+m purchase.
  • DOFFs. The handful of build-critical doffs are easily pushing 80m+ a pop, and god forbid if you're a klank.
  • Personal traits. There's a lot here that go for super high prices, like inspirational leader.
  • Ship traits. Not too many you need to buy fed side, but good luck picking up attack pattern delta prime on every alt. Klanks need to grab reciprocity too.
  • Ships. All lockbox and lobi ships are single-character unlocks. You could kind of live without these pre-DR, but now that there's some good ship traits in a few of those...
  • Achievement. Do all those kill achivements still give small damage boosts? Well, if so you're gonna need to do 'em again.
  • Costumes. Not a big deal, but lobi costume unlocks are character specific for some god forsaken reason.
And there's probably a few I'm forgetting. I mean everyone focuses on the lockbox ships and stuff but you're looking at hundreds of millions of credits in doffs and traits and the better part of a million fleet credits per character. Now none of this is really mandatory, but if you have any resources invested in a single character it basically becomes insurmountable to replicate it in an alt unless you're rich. It's really absurd, and the viability of the game would be vastly improved by some sort of account-reclaim thing. But this would require their storefront backend to not be a horrible mess of spaghetti code, to the point where they can't even let you buy packs if you have a single item in them. The fact Cryptic's doing another alt-focused expansion except with the game being even more alt-unfriendly then when LoR hit... well I suspect they'll be disappointed in the results. :shrug:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

https://m.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4i0k7w/agents_of_yesterday_album_of_new_ships/d2ujits?context=3

Well hey, the Eternal and Oroboros are both 'faction agnostic'. That probably should have been part of the announcement, or at least mentioned in the ship bundle list.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SKY COQ posted:

https://m.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4i0k7w/agents_of_yesterday_album_of_new_ships/d2ujits?context=3

Well hey, the Eternal and Oroboros are both 'faction agnostic'. That probably should have been part of the announcement, or at least mentioned in the ship bundle list.

Not a surprise given the Paradox. The faction specific temporal ships were from the 29th, these are from the 31st - I'm betting the excuse for faction agnostic is that the Klanks and Roms have joined the Federation in the meantime.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 6, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Not a surprise given the Paradox.

It's a welcome change.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
It also makes sense because of the whole romulans and Klingons being part of the federation at that point

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 6, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Tuskin38 posted:

It also makes sense because of the whole romulans and Feds being part of the Glorious Kligger Empire at that point

Fixed.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

It's been said a thousand times, but he's an incomplete list of character-specific stuff you'd need to rebuy or redo on an alt to get them equivalent to a "main" character.
  • Specializations. Not too bad with admiralty and such at least, especially since you really only need to max two.
  • Reputations. Not too bad with sponsorship at least, though Iconian marks are obnoxious.
  • Common equipment. You can shuffle crafted gear around, but everything else is character-specific. Get to re-buy and re-upgrade all those rep items! And of course lockbox and lobi stuff is character bound too.
  • Fleet equipment. So are fleet purchases like tac and sci consoles, which are both expensive and basically mandatory. Not to mention, what, 700+k worth of fleet credits in trait slot unlocks?
  • Premium equipment. Well, pretty much plasmonic leech if you're a Fed, but that's a good 100+m purchase.
  • DOFFs. The handful of build-critical doffs are easily pushing 80m+ a pop, and god forbid if you're a klank.
  • Personal traits. There's a lot here that go for super high prices, like inspirational leader.
  • Ship traits. Not too many you need to buy fed side, but good luck picking up attack pattern delta prime on every alt. Klanks need to grab reciprocity too.
  • Ships. All lockbox and lobi ships are single-character unlocks. You could kind of live without these pre-DR, but now that there's some good ship traits in a few of those...
  • Achievement. Do all those kill achivements still give small damage boosts? Well, if so you're gonna need to do 'em again.
  • Costumes. Not a big deal, but lobi costume unlocks are character specific for some god forsaken reason.
And there's probably a few I'm forgetting. I mean everyone focuses on the lockbox ships and stuff but you're looking at hundreds of millions of credits in doffs and traits and the better part of a million fleet credits per character. Now none of this is really mandatory, but if you have any resources invested in a single character it basically becomes insurmountable to replicate it in an alt unless you're rich. It's really absurd, and the viability of the game would be vastly improved by some sort of account-reclaim thing. But this would require their storefront backend to not be a horrible mess of spaghetti code, to the point where they can't even let you buy packs if you have a single item in them. The fact Cryptic's doing another alt-focused expansion except with the game being even more alt-unfriendly then when LoR hit... well I suspect they'll be disappointed in the results. :shrug:

A lot of that wasn't an issue pre-DR even though there was a huge hurdle for new players and alts and that was because A) the exp grind wasn't ridiculous and B) you didn't have things like the XIV or whatever they made it grind that was obviously just a dil sink

Even with the huge dil sink for max upgrades most the problems came out of being really stingy on exp out of the blue despite a couple of years reversing that trend, though maybe that's changed recently?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I mean the lock boxes and lobi ships have always been a problem, even pre-DR, where lobi ships could cost you $200 bucks unless you get lucky on rolls, but they were also not necessary for completing almost any of the content, though still skeezy cause its basically preying on gambling addicts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

I mean the lock boxes and lobi ships have always been a problem, even pre-DR, where lobi ships could cost you $200 bucks unless you get lucky on rolls, but they were also not necessary for completing almost any of the content, though still skeezy cause its basically preying on gambling addicts.

Mmm. A lobi ship was pretty, but it didn't have gamechanging traits.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

MikeJF posted:

Mmm. A lobi ship was pretty, but it didn't have gamechanging traits.

Exactly.

But I was more referencing I think it was bare minimum 4 lobi per box, and how it worked out if you didn't luck out it was at most $200 bucks to purchase a lobi ship, considerably less of course if you hit that big lobi return. Also, if you were fortunate you could probably turn around some of the other rewards into ways to cut down on lobi costs but who are we kidding, a lot of STO players just kept dumping money into the system until they had enough to buy something.

Agent Of Zion
Jul 19, 2015

Registered for the Wiki under the same username, thinking about jumping back in to STO after a few years. Never hit the level cap because the majority of the missions were boring and the ground game was shittastic. Any improvements in either?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
A shameful first post.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

A lot of that wasn't an issue pre-DR even though there was a huge hurdle for new players and alts and that was because A) the exp grind wasn't ridiculous and B) you didn't have things like the XIV or whatever they made it grind that was obviously just a dil sink

Even with the huge dil sink for max upgrades most the problems came out of being really stingy on exp out of the blue despite a couple of years reversing that trend, though maybe that's changed recently?
Yeah, ultimately each individual item isn't that big a deal. If it were just doffs or traits or ships or plasleech or whatever it'd be a mild annoyance but pretty easy to fix. But it's all that simultaneously and more get added with every major update and the gap between an established main and a new alt gets wider and wider. It's sort of slowly creeped up on Cryptic (well, aside from the debacle that was Delta Rising) and I'm not sure they really realize or understand just how bad it is right now. I mean a good example there was the delta alt promo thing that everyone did for some bonuses... then quickly abandoned those characters because even a bunch of free dilithium and R&D ranks and whatever didn't make up for what you'd lose from your main.

And oh yeah, add DOFF XP and R&D ranks and Admiralty ranks to the above table. :v:

Agent Of Zion
Jul 19, 2015

Aleth posted:

A shameful first post.

Usually just lurk in GiP or spectate BSG games but yeah probably. Gotta post somewhere right?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Agent Of Zion posted:

Usually just lurk in GiP or spectate BSG games but yeah probably. Gotta post somewhere right?

Gotta post an intro thread in GBS with your gaming experience for us to vet and why you'd be a valuable addition to SFD.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

Gotta post an intro thread in GBS with your gaming experience for us to vet and why you'd be a valuable addition to SFD.

In all fairness, this policy is documented on the wiki, so it's not like he'd know.

July 2015 was an interesting time in STO.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Tuskin38 posted:

Salami_Inferno on Twitter: "If you own a TOS ship and its T6 equivalent, you can put the TOS costume on your T6 ship!"

If this is just for T6 ships, that sucks. I would like to be able to use my TOS Enterprise at all times (I'm never going to reach T6 ships).

Agent Of Zion
Jul 19, 2015

hakimashou posted:

18 Character Limit posted:

In all fairness, this policy is documented on the wiki, so it's not like he'd know.

July 2015 was an interesting time in STO.

Well I'm currently underway so I'm not exactly trying to get into SFD at the moment, maybe in a couple of weeks. Right now I've got an itch to fly around in a spaceship and I don't even know if its worth scratching.

Regardless, I highly doubt making GBS threads up GBS even more with an intro post is worthwhile.

I stopped playing even before 2015. I played for three months or so when the game first came out, then gave it another go for a few weeks right after it went FTP. Googling for a current overview of things, or a guide, or whatever is worthless due to the scope of changes and how infrequently other things have been updated hence the wiki access request.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Orgophlax posted:

If this is just for T6 ships, that sucks. I would like to be able to use my TOS Enterprise at all times (I'm never going to reach T6 ships).

T6 is level 50, same as T5

Either way, there is no T6 Connie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given the reasoning that CBS had for refusing the Connie, it's very slightly possible that the TOS faction (and they alone) might get one, since their ships are of the era.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Cryptic, the company where people heard "another faction but it's the past" and went "yes, genius!" instead of "you're retarded"

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
To be fair milking the TOS fans is not a bad idea at all given where they've managed to take the main plotline. I imagine it'll be reasonably fun for a lot of the designers to mess around trying to recreate the low-budget, camp sci-fi feel of TOS in game (hence stuff like the torn TOS uniforms), too, plus they have a lot of material to draw upon for inspiration which is always nice.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Aleth posted:

To be fair milking the TOS fans is not a bad idea at all given where they've managed to take the main plotline. I imagine it'll be reasonably fun for a lot of the designers to mess around trying to recreate the low-budget, camp sci-fi feel of TOS in game (hence stuff like the torn TOS uniforms), too, plus they have a lot of material to draw upon for inspiration which is always nice.

Can I get a Vulcan BOFF with no brain?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

18 Character Limit posted:

Can I get a Vulcan BOFF with no brain?

Yes.

Take any existing Vulcan boff, and go on a ground combat mission.

This is true of all boffs, regardless of race.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yes.

Take any existing Vulcan boff, and go on a ground combat mission.

This is true of all boffs, regardless of race.

It needs like Lobot headgear so I can run around as Lando.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agent Of Zion posted:

Well I'm currently underway so I'm not exactly trying to get into SFD at the moment, maybe in a couple of weeks. Right now I've got an itch to fly around in a spaceship and I don't even know if its worth scratching.

How do you get on SA out to sea? Our system has it blocked, probably due to how many times the FBI's been involved.

I mean, I probably wouldn't anyway 'cus I don't want to lose computer access and explain to the XO why I'm on a site with the poo poo that come out of this thread alone. read: bios

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 6, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Are you guys really trolling him, again? No, you should not make intro posts in GBS; that's a long standing prevarication. Also, never pay anyone for access to goon corporations / guilds / fleets.

Edit: Is there a macro utility something that automatically fills in best ship combos for Admiralty stuff or must it always be done manually?

fakemirage posted:

think you may want to re-read that post.
Edit2: hurrr. Yeah, I misread it.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 6, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Are you insinuating that we, the first and finest fleet in all of STO, would stoop to despicable acts such as cyber trole bullying on the Internet? For shame, sir, for shame.

Actually I was just commenting on that his very first post on SA was in this terrible thread and would forever haunt him, dunno what Ryott is on about.

Edit: pretty sure admiralty poo poo is all manual filling still.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

What did Nagus do?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

Tuskin38 posted:

What did Nagus do?

Nagus Stuff.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
But you see, he wanted to get banned. Checkmate, Goons. :smuggo:

Ambaire posted:

No, the system doesn't block 'out to sea' stuff
I think you may want to re-read that post.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Rip grandnagus1.

I told him many times to stop acting like that, I guess now he has to :(

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ambaire posted:

Are you guys really trolling him, again? No, you should not make intro posts in GBS; that's a long standing prevarication. Also, never pay anyone for access to goon corporations / guilds / fleets.

Edit: Is there a macro utility something that automatically fills in best ship combos for Admiralty stuff or must it always be done manually?

Oh hey, friend. Glad to see you're back.

You up for a friendly game of laser tag on ol' ESD?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
No-one is above the law, not even a goon. :toughguy:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ambaire posted:

Why did you get kicked out again? It's pretty rare for someone to goonfuck so bad they get thrown out of the sto guild lol.

And now you're here sticking up for some j4g that wants wiki access lol, whats your deal dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

hakimashou posted:

Why did you get kicked out again? It's pretty rare for someone to goonfuck so bad they get thrown out of the sto guild lol.

And now you're here sticking up for some j4g that wants wiki access lol, whats your deal dude?

Isn't he the guy that got really mad when he was told that his build was garbage and took any and all criticism as personal attacks or was that someone else?

I was playing the end of the Iconian war mission today because I have the day off and not much better to do and I noticed this ship in the pan-galactic fleet guarding Earth. Even the True Way knows who Cardassia's second greatest hero was.

• Locked thread