Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

ZS needs Larry Fong back on his team

100%. His films are much better with Fong. Although Snyder League cut looked great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

100%. His films are much better with Fong. Although Snyder League cut looked great too.

And the dude who shot that was a TV guy, which doesn’t mean he’s not good but does mean he hadn’t proved poo poo.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

As a 'new to horror' guy I'm fully willing to accept my opinions as dumb and wrong but I just watched the original The Strangers and didn't find anything at all to enjoy about it.

It wasn't interesting and I couldn't get invested in any of the characters. In no way trying to pick a fight on this and not every movie is for everyone but kind of interested (from a new to the genre perspective) in what the draw is for those that rated it well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
No I mean I'm a Horror Fan and I'm not really a fan of any of The Strangers movies. I think they're pretty dull and bland horror villains, and I like a good tense home invasion film. I'll probably moviepass the new one if I'm bored sometime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Caedes posted:

As a 'new to horror' guy I'm fully willing to accept my opinions as dumb

All are welcome! All are welcome!!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Caedes posted:

As a 'new to horror' guy I'm fully willing to accept my opinions as dumb and wrong but I just watched the original The Strangers and didn't find anything at all to enjoy about it.

It wasn't interesting and I couldn't get invested in any of the characters. In no way trying to pick a fight on this and not every movie is for everyone but kind of interested (from a new to the genre perspective) in what the draw is for those that rated it well.

I'm an old to horror guy and honestly same.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Strangers has one really good scene (the one from the poster) and not much else

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Rageaholic posted:

Saw I Saw The TV Glow and liked it but not as much as We're All Going To The World's Fair. The color palette was sick, though, and it's very Lynch inspired at times (there's a straight up Twin Peaks road house musical section).

I liked it a lot but almost feel like I’ll need a second viewing to totally put together my thoughts on it.

Beautiful movie, very Lynch inspired like you said, but also very much inspired by every cheap movie live action TV show I watched between 1992 and 1998 on Nickelodeon.

It’s also a bit of a downer at the end, but I felt like things were always going to end up that way. Maddy wants to escape life and can only do so by thinking she’s literally part of the show. And Owen spends his entire adult life denying who they are, except maybe when they cut open their chest at the end

Also, not really a spoiler, but Fred Durst was terrifying in this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ok I'm about to see it in like 30 minutes and I had no idea Fred durst was in it good lord. I'm shook.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ok I'm about to see it in like 30 minutes and I had no idea Fred durst was in it good lord. I'm shook.

It took me a bit to recognize him but holy poo poo he has an aura in this thing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

This movie kind of rules because it's so homophobic, that to a modern audience it wraps around again to just painting the cop as a horrible homophobic monster.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
The Strangers really pissed me off because Liv Tyler is listening to a Joanna Newson record but when she drops the needle it starts playing "Sprout and the Bean" and it's like "HelloooOOO? 'Bridges and Balloons" is the first track on that album, you idiots." Killed my immersion for the rest of the movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Crescent Wrench posted:

The Strangers really pissed me off because Liv Tyler is listening to a Joanna Newson record but when she drops the needle it starts playing "Sprout and the Bean" and it's like "HelloooOOO? 'Bridges and Balloons" is the first track on that album, you idiots." Killed my immersion for the rest of the movie.

There was a sprout and bean single but I’m not sure it was released on vinyl

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ambitious Spider posted:

This movie kind of rules because it's so homophobic, that to a modern audience it wraps around again to just painting the cop as a horrible homophobic monster.

It rules so much. Like I don't see how you can't interpret the ending of the gay coach coming in to save the kid from the true monster of the movie, Homophobic Useless Cop as anything but utterly triumphant.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It rules so much. Like I don't see how you can't interpret the ending of the gay coach coming in to save the kid from the true monster of the movie, Homophobic Useless Cop as anything but utterly triumphant.

No such thing as pure ideology, doesn’t matter what the creators thought they were doing, etc. same deal as sleepaway camp where the lead is not crazy because trans, but crazy because gender dysphoria from being forced to live as a girl. The sequels change this completely but it’s ok because they’re fun in a totally different way

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yep. I sincerely struggle to think of an earlier horror film like it; even the Wiki points out how rarely positive its treatment in general is

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wikipedia posted:

Scholar Jeffery Dennis notes that Tom's partner, who is murdered early in the film by Billy's aunt Cheryl, is "perhaps the only gay person in all of American cinema who is not an urban sophisticate",[7] as well as one of the only characters in the film shown to be an upstanding individual.

True in spirit if not in fact but kind of funny to see that footnote is from 2006, a year after Brokeback Mountain

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Caedes posted:

As a 'new to horror' guy I'm fully willing to accept my opinions as dumb and wrong

This is the Horror thread, some people go the deep analysis route, others just strap in the figurative roller coaster and enjoy the ride. All are welcome here.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus there's a wide enough net cast in here of varied taste that I promise you, if you like or dislike any given movie, there'll be at least one person who agrees with you.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If I get 1-2 Emma Stone+Yorgos Lanthimos films a year every year the rest of my life I'll die happy, always loving it

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791832502350303437

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris James 2 posted:

If I get 1-2 Emma Stone+Yorgos Lanthimos films a year every year the rest of my life I'll die happy, always loving it

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791832502350303437
They're already working on another one?! Jesus, they aren't taking any breaks :stare:

I'm glad, though. Poor Things ruled and I can't wait for Kinds of Kindness, whatever that movie ends up being.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Here’s a question for everyone that came up for my wife and I during the trailers before I Saw the TV Glow; is there an actor that will 100% get you into the theater to see a horror movie?

For me, Willem Dafoe was the reason I went to go see The Lighthouse, he’s why I’ll be there opening weekend for Nosferatu, and he’s why a college-aged me with about 20 dollars in his bank account drove to a little art house theater and paid 15 bucks for a ticket to see Antichrist.

Jeffrey Combs is the other one, which unfortunately means I’ve seen the remake of House on Haunted Hill (he’s sadly underutilized, he’s in it for like 90 seconds) and Feardotcom.

Both these guys are good in anything; Combs kicks rear end even when he’s in horrible stuff like the above.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Kyle McLachlan is my number one. We're probably going to watch that new Fallout show just for him. Not horror, but Ryan Gosling has been that for me since Drive. And yes, absolutely Jeffrey Combs.

Edit: Oh of course, you can't forget Nicolas Cage!

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 18, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Caedes posted:

Horror, much like comedy, I find to be extremely subjective. What might tickle someone's funny bone or scare the christ out of a person is really inconsistent from individual to individual so don't even worry about it. Just post.

I enjoyed The Strangers when I saw it but less on a rewatch so I can see it having diminishing returns or even failing to land for some folks. I think I liked it because, typically, what tends to scare me are stories that are mostly rooted in reality as opposed to ghosts or supernatural poo poo like that, even though my scariest movie is The Exorcist.

What's everyone's take on Creep 1 & 2? I recently watched Barbarian and liked that one.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

Jeffrey Combs is the other one, which unfortunately means I’ve seen the remake of House on Haunted Hill (he’s sadly underutilized, he’s in it for like 90 seconds)

Hey I like that remake! But my answers are Nicolas Cage and Richard Brake

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Creep 1 and 2 are fantastic

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he's been dead for 30 years so it's not so much "get me in the theater" but i'll watch anything with Peter Cushing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

Here’s a question for everyone that came up for my wife and I during the trailers before I Saw the TV Glow; is there an actor that will 100% get you into the theater to see a horror movie?

For me, Willem Dafoe was the reason I went to go see The Lighthouse, he’s why I’ll be there opening weekend for Nosferatu, and he’s why a college-aged me with about 20 dollars in his bank account drove to a little art house theater and paid 15 bucks for a ticket to see Antichrist.

Jeffrey Combs is the other one, which unfortunately means I’ve seen the remake of House on Haunted Hill (he’s sadly underutilized, he’s in it for like 90 seconds) and Feardotcom.

Both these guys are good in anything; Combs kicks rear end even when he’s in horrible stuff like the above.

Actresses: Florence Pugh, Emma Stone, Sydney Sweeney, Hunter Schafer, Samara Weaving
Actors: Willem Dafoe, Alexander Skarsgaard, Jim Cummings, Nicolas Cage. Honorable mention: Richard Brake

These are all current day obviously, the list would get real long and take an hour for me to narrow down for like older films/talent

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just for current day, and in a horror/thriller context: Anne Hathaway, Sydney Sweeney, Willem Dafoe, Kathryn Newton, Julia Garner, Kristen Stewart.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 18, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Creep is good, still need to watch 2.

It really nails the violating boundaries aspect. The push/pull is just very recognizable if you ever came into contact with, well, actual creeps. I mean the non murdering types here as well, lol.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 18, 2024

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I would really like to see Andrea Riseborough and Margarat Qually in more stuff, looking forward to The Substance.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MacheteZombie posted:

Creep 1 and 2 are fantastic

Yeah, I enjoyed them both. Kind of a fresh take on the found footage genre for a change. I understand they're making part 3 so I'm curious to see where they go with it. I can see the concept getting stale and I'm sitting here trying to think up a fresh idea but don't really have any.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chris James 2 posted:

Jim Cummings

The one that directed "wolf of snow hollow" or the one that voices Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

If Dan Stevens or Rebecca Hall are in something, genre aside, I'll probably see it. The true GOATs rn. Basically the only reason I'm hyped for Cuckoo.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

We're probably going to watch that new Fallout show just for him.

I binged the Fallout show. All I'll say is it's been a very long time since I've been genuinely excited for what's going to happen in the second season. I even dusted off Fallout 3 and NV for a runthrough.

A Fancy Hat posted:

For me, that's a hard question. Most of the actors I'd name are either dead or retired. I'd probably have to go with Nicholas Cage, Jeffrey Combs, and Danny Trejo of who's still around and kicking.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chris James 2 posted:

Actresses: Florence Pugh, Emma Stone, Sydney Sweeney, Hunter Schafer, Samara Weaving
Actors: Willem Dafoe, Alexander Skarsgaard, Jim Cummings, Nicolas Cage. Honorable mention: Richard Brake

These are all current day obviously, the list would get real long and take an hour for me to narrow down for like older films/talent

What horror movies has Hunter Schafer been in?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Fancy Hat posted:

Keith David.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wow from the new rlm video, are those new blumhouse movies really that santized? Hey Jason, kids LOVE gore and horror and dark stuff. you don't gotta make them so kiddifed brah.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Kyle McLachlan is my number one. We're probably going to watch that new Fallout show just for him. Not horror, but Ryan Gosling has been that for me since Drive. And yes, absolutely Jeffrey Combs.

Edit: Oh of course, you can't forget Nicolas Cage!

Are you me because if you add Michael Shannon and Charles Bronson youve got all my fav actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

wow from the new rlm video, are those new blumhouse movies really that santized? Hey Jason, kids LOVE gore and horror and dark stuff. you don't gotta make them so kiddifed brah.

What’s weird is kids, at least from my experience, like weird poo poo and spooky stuff. My nephew is obsessed with stuff like sonic.exe and when he hangs out with my wife and I he wants to watch “slimy movies” ever since we showed him Ghostbusters and Fright Night in one evening.

Like Night Swim could have had a pool filled with blood or people getting sucked into drains or like acid water eating people up but it doesn’t. I can’t speak on Inaginary but if you have an insane movie concept like “haunted water seeped into this pool” you really need to make it full of insane poo poo.