Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I am naruto nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure he's editor in chief. The initial announcement for the job said Alonso was stepping down the next day

Except Bendis wasn't writing under the pen name Djimon Hounsou or whatever when he created Miles Morales

Dijimon sounds Japanese to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hadji murad posted:

he's a champion

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

frodnonnag posted:

Like red hood on dc's side, venom is pretty terrible and probably should be killed off/stayed dead.

that's not answering my question.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Haha, ooohh boy.

Axel Alonso Spending His Days Liking Tweets Critical Of C.B. Cebulski And Sana Amanat

For those counting, it's one faved tweet about Alonso, and three about Amanat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revol posted:

Haha, ooohh boy.

Axel Alonso Spending His Days Liking Tweets Critical Of C.B. Cebulski And Sana Amanat

Ha!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That guy was fired hard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Revol posted:

Haha, ooohh boy.

man I should change my name to sherlock beatles

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hadji murad posted:

I used the name of an actual African actor because I thought if I tried to come up with a fake African name it would come off as racist, but welp.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That joke doesn't play because Akira Yoshida is an actual Japanese name

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It is, isn't it?

I think I retract that post, even if Mononoke Dragonball made me grin.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, as much as I enjoy dunking on the guy, Akira Yoshida is a perfectly average Japanese name. It's no Takumi Matsumoto or anything, but you'd probably bump into a couple.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It’s a real name but Taro Sato levels of creativity. Doubt anyone young gets named that anymore.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Revol posted:

Haha, ooohh boy.

Why does he have any business gloating about this, he was an editor at Marvel in the 00s, probbaly knew about it and did absolutely nothing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, Shirobako came out in 2014. So it wouldn't be on a list from 2003.

So it's a bad tweet in a lot of ways

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

fatherboxx posted:

Why does he have any business gloating about this, he was an editor at Marvel in the 00s, probbaly knew about it and did absolutely nothing.

Delusions are a hell of a thing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Top Gun posted:

I have no love for CB Cebulski but I feel like this whole scandal is a total nonissue being blown out of proportion by people who have way too much time on their hands.

cool, thanks for letting us know how you feel

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Revol posted:

Haha, ooohh boy.

This is definitely amusing but also incredibly hypocritical, given how he handled diversity issues during his tenure as EiC.

I'm also amazed that it's been two days since the BC story broke and there still hasn't been any official statement from Marvel beyond confirming that Yoshida was CB's pseudonym.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Darkhawk #51 was the first of these one-shots to actually disappoint me that it wasn't leading into a thing.

I was really expecting Chris's new fiance to be an alien kill-bot or dead by page 18 or something and was glad when she wasn't.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Alaois posted:

cool, thanks for letting us know how you feel

*Glances over at your AV*

Top Gun fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 30, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, as much as I enjoy dunking on the guy, Akira Yoshida is a perfectly average Japanese name. It's no Takumi Matsumoto or anything, but you'd probably bump into a couple.

Yeah, but it's likely that Cebulski came up with it by combining Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira with the X-Men character Sunfire

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, but it's likely that Cebulski came up with it by combining Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira with the X-Men character Sunfire

Which is only obvious after you know the fact of it being a fake identity, not like the joke of "lol he basically named himself Naruto Dragonballz" that's been going around

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Top Gun posted:

Lightning Lord posted:

He was living in Japan at the time, he likely knows they are common names. If a Japanese writer in America used the pseudonym John Parker you wouldn't instantly assume he was purposefully using the first name of the main character in Die Hard and the last name of Spider-Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also let's not pretend anyone knows who Sunfire is.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

He's that white guy in the new mutants,right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Also let's not pretend anyone knows who Sunfire is.

Yeah, when people were saying it was the same last name as the most popular Japanese X-Man I assumed they were talking about Armor, I don't remember what her actual name is.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

He was living in Japan at the time, he likely knows they are common names. If a Japanese writer in America used the pseudonym John Parker you wouldn't instantly assume he was purposefully using the first name of the main character in Die Hard and the last name of Spider-Man.

Lol so he pretended to be straight up a Japanese person from Japan as well? I bet Marvel was overjoyed to have a manga person working for them. What a clownish series of events.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Oh man, I finally remembered who Sunfire is. He's on Seanbaby's list of ridiculously racist comic book characters. Japanese. Has nuclear powers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Lol so he pretended to be straight up a Japanese person from Japan as well? I bet Marvel was overjoyed to have a manga person working for them. What a clownish series of events.

Yeah, that's what he's been doing for the last decade or so, being the Marvel Guy in Japan.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Top Gun posted:

you got me, I like fighting games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Billzasilver posted:

Oh man, I finally remembered who Sunfire is. He's on Seanbaby's list of ridiculously racist comic book characters. Japanese. Has nuclear powers.

Marvel has a problem with their asian characters in general. I've pointed this out before.

Shang Chi is a kung fu man and the son of Fu Manchu.

Yellow Claw and Mandarin are named Yellow Claw and Mandarin, for starters.

Sunfire has nuclear powers and his name is basically a reference to the imperial japanese flag, as is his outfit.

Jubilee is of Chinese descent and has firework powers.

Armor's mutant power is to channel her honorable ancestors and turn them into mechs.

Agent X is a goddamn yakuza ninja with a code of honor.

The least racist asian characters in Marvel are Nico Minoru and The Cat, although you could make a case the latter is just a different kind of ninja stereotype.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel has a problem with their asian characters in general. I've pointed this out before.

Sunfire has nuclear powers and his name is basically a reference to the imperial japanese flag, as is his outfit.

Armor's mutant power is to channel her honorable ancestors and turn them into mechs.

The least racist asian characters in Marvel are Nico Minoru and The Cat, although you could make a case the latter is just a different kind of ninja stereotype.

Also, you know, everything about Psylocke post '88ish, and Madripoor in general.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plus everyone the X-Men ran into while hanging out with weeb Wolverine in Japan

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Also, you know, everything about Psylocke post '88ish, and Madripoor in general.

Oh man how could I leave Psylocke out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You also forgot Amadeus Cho whose power is that he's good at math. (Or was. I guess he's a Hulk now.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's so many examples and they're all the worst.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does this mean Agent X is Kazuma Kiryu? Or is he more Majima?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're reaching a little bit with the Jubilee one.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

There's so many examples and they're all the worst.

Master of Kung Fu is actually a really good comic. I like Jubilee. I also like all the early solo Woverine stuff, both the Miller series and the Madripoor stuff. I'll go to bat somewhat for those comics.

The problem isn't any of these books or characters individually. It's a systematic thing, tempered by lack of creators. Especially in light of the Yoshida incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

I think you're reaching a little bit with the Jubilee one.

He's not. People have been pointing that one out since she was created.

• Locked thread