Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791911688528187576

It's been such a long time since we've gotten a good Stephen King scary lamp movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For real. I don’t know who these people think they’re making these movies for but it’s not kids. Kids like gross and weird

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

If I get 1-2 Emma Stone+Yorgos Lanthimos films a year every year the rest of my life I'll die happy, always loving it

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791832502350303437

Protect the Green Planet! the Korean film this is based on is very good and right in Yorgos's wheelhouse

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And they can take a lot more gross and weird than it'd seem. Like, after watching all 3 of The Strangers movies over the past week or so, it struck me, they're slasher movies playing every trope completely straight, I bet 13-14 year olds looking for something a little more edgy than standard PG-13 would absolutely eat those movies up. They're violent, they're tense, plenty of jumpscares, but nothing too egregious to really disturb them.

I would say "watching slashers at that age did me no harm", but...I'm in this thread, I suppose.

A Fancy Hat posted:

What’s weird is kids, at least from my experience, like weird poo poo and spooky stuff. My nephew is obsessed with stuff like sonic.exe and when he hangs out with my wife and I he wants to watch “slimy movies” ever since we showed him Ghostbusters and Fright Night in one evening.

Like Night Swim could have had a pool filled with blood or people getting sucked into drains or like acid water eating people up but it doesn’t. I can’t speak on Inaginary but if you have an insane movie concept like “haunted water seeped into this pool” you really need to make it full of insane poo poo.

If he wants Slimy Movies, you better show that kid The Stuff.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 18, 2024

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

What’s weird is kids, at least from my experience, like weird poo poo and spooky stuff. My nephew is obsessed with stuff like sonic.exe and when he hangs out with my wife and I he wants to watch “slimy movies” ever since we showed him Ghostbusters and Fright Night in one evening.

Not sure if 90s Australian children's TV is going to be a hard sell for a modern kid, but Round the Twist is a very fun show that's heavy on goopy substances and gross out stuff.

Probably not an episode to start the kid on, but the episode Nails is a really neat bit of body horror for eight for eight year olds. The central image and conceit is the kind of thing that worms into the brain and sticks there, but the episode eventually approaches it with a real sense of wonder.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 18, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

CelticPredator posted:

wow from the new rlm video, are those new blumhouse movies really that santized? Hey Jason, kids LOVE gore and horror and dark stuff. you don't gotta make them so kiddifed brah.

yes. night swim especially is just a longer worse version of the are you afraid of the dark pool episode

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

wow from the new rlm video, are those new blumhouse movies really that santized? Hey Jason, kids LOVE gore and horror and dark stuff. you don't gotta make them so kiddifed brah.
I didn't see Imaginary but I did see Night Swim and that was so dull. Wyatt Russell deserves better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It Chapter 1 is a fantastic kid entry horror. It’s got it all. The spooks. Jumpscares, cursing, gore. It’s perfect.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rageaholic posted:

I didn't see Imaginary but I did see Night Swim and that was so dull. Wyatt Russell deserves better.

Imaginary is just a fascinating movie. I don't think I've seen worse writing with surprisingly good performances, especially from the kid, ever. Like, it's impressively awful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Imaginary genuinely is on the level of Goosebumps in terms of horror. Cut out the very scant moments where it shows blood and I bet you could get it down to a straight PG rating.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I'm trying to think how Blumhouse movies were 3/4 years ago. I feel like the newer crappy cleaner movies are an attempt to cash in on the success of Five Nights at Freddy's and M3gan with younger audiences

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M3gan did have some fun kills even if they were cut. And the movie was just a good time regardless.

Fnaf is a weird one where I feel like the film only worked bc of the IP and kids seeing their beloved Freddy har harr come to life.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i enjoyed fnaf well enough, not giving even a single heck about the ip

it was at the very least better than a meme game movie had any right to be

also i'm happy to let blum put out this boring poo poo if he also lets happy death day 3 get made

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

mikeycp posted:

also i'm happy to let blum put out this boring poo poo if he also lets happy death day 3 get made

He has a pass from me since he's bankrolling Richard Linklater's latest cinematic experiment in watching actors age, which may not be good but at least seems interesting.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah I'm not at all interested in those movies but I'm glad somebody is doing weird somewhat novel stuff

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I hope they line Linklater up for a slasher during one of the years long filming breaks. I feel like that'd be a genre he'd excel at. Dazed and Confused or Everybody Wants Some and then a masked serial murderer shows up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Blumhouse films are just sanitized horror that tries to get as many people as the marketing can get into seats. Horror is a lot like hot sauce where a lot of people take weird pride in being unphased by it and others don't like it at all. Blumhouse aims for that latter demographic by giving something tantalizing to them that can be seen as relatively tame for people who really like horror. Kids definitely fit that latter demographic as well. The top 5 grossing horrors last year were Five Nights at Freddy's, Scream 6, M3GAN, The Nun 2, and Insidious: Red Door for a reason.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Horror Thread: Horror is a lot like hot sauce

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Holy poo poo Targets rules.

Almost literally Charles Joseph Whitman Vs Boris Karloff.

Tragically simultaneously very off its time and yet still very relevant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blumhouse used to be better is my issue. I don’t like the insidious movies but I wouldn’t call them sanitized. They’re kinda weird in a fun way that would definitely work for teenagers and the people I know that love them grew up with them too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Protect the Green Planet! the Korean film this is based on is very good and right in Yorgos's wheelhouse

Its such a pitch black comedy that I could totally see it working.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm trying to think how Blumhouse movies were 3/4 years ago. I feel like the newer crappy cleaner movies are an attempt to cash in on the success of Five Nights at Freddy's and M3gan with younger audiences

I can see it from the angle of Intro to Horror for those to dip their toes in the water who might be under the misconception of black & white films/older than 10 years ago being lame. If they like what they see and want something with more oomph, they've got a jumping point.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
In between the Horror 101s pre-pandemic Blumhouse used to put out a banger every year or two, like Get Out or Cam or pre-Netflix Flanagan or Leigh Whannell's post Insidious flicks. Hopefully Whannell's Wolfman is a return to that form.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 19, 2024

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

whoah haha Blumhouse were involved in Whiplash according to Wikipedia, that's gotta be in their top 5 films although that's right im saying it, it's not horror

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i just saw abigail and abigale rules

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mikeycp posted:

i just saw abigail and abigale rules

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
is abigail on vod now, has anyone mashed up scenes of abigail to the matilda musical yet

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

is abigail on vod now

Yep!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Watched Sleepaway Camp for the first time and was genuinely unsettled by Angela's hissing face at the end. Then I watched 20 minutes of the Dybbuk Box and was so bored I turned it off. Finally, I watched I Saw the Devil and definitely enjoyed the Achilles tendon scene.

E: I gave Dybbuk Box a chance because I thought World Fair was ok and I loved Deadstream. Alas, Joseph Mazzafero is a talentless hack.

computer angel fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 19, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nikumatic posted:

is abigail on vod now, has anyone mashed up scenes of abigail to the matilda musical yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9A6ctjHAxE

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Guy I went to high school with runs a movie website now and he was able to see The Substance at Cannes (that’s the Demi Moore-Margaret Qualley-Dennis Quaid body horror film from the director of 2017’s Revenge)— he loved it and said it’s nasty as hell with “overwhelming” sound design and practical makeup effects

Hell yeah

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Hell yeah https://twitter.com/fiImgal/status/1791476858845860332

Coralie Fargeat's second feature film; her first was Revenge (2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK6AsM-O-XQ

Just finished playing at Cannes; people saying it’s the gnarliest modern body horror in a while minimum

https://x.com/jrparham/status/1792318234194227223?s=46
https://x.com/beyondfest/status/1792316166121099563?s=46
https://x.com/davidehrlich/status/1792313949980897628?s=46

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I thought Revenge was terrible, but this sounds like it has a more interesting premise so I suppose I'm willing to give the director another shot if the buzz for this stays strong.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the only thing bad about revenge was the title that movie rocked

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

This has been one of my most anticipated films ever since it was first announced a couple years ago, so seeing these reactions is extremely :yeshaha: for me

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I suspect the reactions to this might be sliiightly influenced by context, and might not play quite as overwhelmingly well if you haven't spent the last week watching the Cannes competition entries.

Not that I'm not looking forward to it, I am. Demi Moore in a big horror role? Come on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Demi Gore

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just watched this on AMC+ and it was fantastic.

It’s one part Blair Witch and one part The Descent, with an Australian flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TjRUrf9R4

It’s also available on Tubi, as well. Very atmospheric and claustrophobic. Great editing and production value; never felt cheap.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

I just watched this on AMC+ and it was fantastic.

It’s one part Blair Witch and one part The Descent, with an Australian flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TjRUrf9R4

It’s also available on Tubi, as well. Very atmospheric and claustrophobic. Great editing and production value; never felt cheap.

Oh, I could go for a claustrophobic found footage-style horror, gonna look for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

computer angel posted:

Watched Sleepaway Camp for the first time and was genuinely unsettled by Angela's hissing face at the end.

I think the reason its so unsettling is because it's actually a mask, but the mask is so well done that you don't immediately recognize it as a mask. You're brain just goes "oh god why is her face like that?!?"