Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Having a "Final Fantasy Committee" to ensure the quality of the brand is a good idea. Right guys?

(Except Toriyama is on it.)
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Toriyama has no involvement in XV, thankfully.

I laughed way too hard at this.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

floor is lava posted:

Having a "Final Fantasy Committee" to ensure the quality of the brand is a good idea. Right guys?

We're boned.

Anyway yeah, what's the point of walking around during combat?
Can you, like, dodge enemy attacks by gingerly walking out of harm's way? 'cause it doesn't seem to be the case.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Theglavwen posted:

I sort of wish there were some belts or buckles on those bland-boys, because drat, I don't know how excited I can get for '6 party members wear realistic every-day business suits in slightly different manners'.

They still have the FF standard of WTF clothes...but only the antagonists seem to be wearing them.

I don't actually mind the more modern realistic look.

They do look like members of an up-and-coming boyband though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One step closer to a JRPG with full Modern Business attire.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

floor is lava posted:

I'm not crazy about Kitase being on it either. Or Ito not being on it.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
It's not like they're hideous or anything, they're fairly stylish, especially for regular people. But I guess I'm just a fan of iconic design; just like in designing a character's silhouette, or the pixels to highlight on a 16bit sprite, you ought to be able to identify a character, ideally get a feel for the character, their role, their identity, just be looking at them. If a person can glance at your characters and not instantly be able to recognize them, then you've failed in design.

Looking at the boyband lineup there, I don't know who these people are. What do they do? What are they like? I guess the one to the left (our left) of Noctis is kind of a tough guy? And the one to the right is a nerd maybe? Some kind of inventor, he's got glasses and a glove or something, I don't know. The other two? Um, backup singers? Maybe a thief and ... Christopher Eccleston? I really don't have a clue, and to my mind that's a bad sign.

Edit: At best I guess I can fairly certainly say they're all kind of rich and gangster/mafia-ish. So we've got one character profile, split between five guys.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 27, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brumaldo posted:

Can you, like, dodge enemy attacks by gingerly walking out of harm's way? 'cause it doesn't seem to be the case.

Positioning and it's better for magic classes since the farther you are from bigger enemies the better. It doesn't matter with smaller enemies, but certain boss enemies like the dragon in the demo are somewhat immobile, so the farther you get from them so their physical attacks can't hurt you is good. I mean in general it shouldn't be necessary to explain why moving is an important thing in an action-rpg, but I can understand the confusion since she doesn't really run during combat.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I still have hope about XV's everything. It's Nomura, so at least the actual gameplay will probably be fun as hell, and I have high hopes about the plot, because there has literally never been a Final Fantasy plot that hasn't been stupid, but hopefully it'll be the good final fantasies kind of stupid instead of the later installments kind of stupid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can say this right now, FFXV introduced me to Roen and my burning desire to own their dress shoes. I actually really like the designs because it makes the party look cohesive (red shoe bottoms, black jackets) while still giving them a place for a tasteful splash of color and personality defining traits in the shirt or lack there of department.

Also, Christian Louboutin is seriously missing out of the female love interest isn't wearing that collection.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Positioning and it's better for magic classes since the farther you are from bigger enemies the better. It doesn't matter with smaller enemies, but certain boss enemies like the dragon in the demo are somewhat immobile, so the farther you get from them so their physical attacks can't hurt you is good. I mean in general it shouldn't be necessary to explain why moving is an important thing in an action-rpg, but I can understand the confusion since she doesn't really run during combat.

Action-rpg sounds like a weird definition, since most actions seems to be automated/on rails to me.
I can understand positioning for aoes, but once an enemy has decided to attack you the only ways to interrupt them seems to be a juggle or a knockdown, so I guess being farther away with a mage gives you time to cast more stuff?
Kinda sounds like overcomplicating things to me though, the black mage seemed safe to play at any range.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Barudak posted:

I can say this right now, FFXV introduced me to Roen and my burning desire to own their dress shoes. I actually really like the designs because it makes the party look cohesive (red shoe bottoms, black jackets) while still giving them a place for a tasteful splash of color and personality defining traits in the shirt or lack there of department.

Also, Christian Louboutin is seriously missing out of the female love interest isn't wearing that collection.

That's a cool way to look at it, but I have to wonder: should they look cohesive? Is that really a good thing? I mean, they're not a military unit here, why are they all wearing the same uniform? Why do they all have the same shoes? These are presumably six dudes, yeah? Pick five of your friends, how many times will your footwear be repeated?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Eggie posted:

I'm not crazy about Kitase being on it either. Or Ito not being on it.

I wonder what he's up to. Some interviews with Yoshida suggest Ito was working on a handheld/mobile game that was cancelled after the great post-FFXIV purge in 2011.

Barudak posted:

According to one of my friends, their clothing is very expensive with a huge markup because of the brand. It took the Yen depreciating for her to afford a jacket.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

They still have the FF standard of WTF clothes...but only the antagonists seem to be wearing them.

I don't actually mind the more modern realistic look.

They do look like members of an up-and-coming boyband though.

Kind of a sausagefest too. Hope there's a strong thematic reason why your entire party is dudes, ethnically homogenous dudes at that.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Kind of a sausagefest too. Hope there's a strong thematic reason why your entire party is dudes, ethnically homogenous dudes at that.

Yeah, the whole game seems to be a complete sausagefest... So far the only women in the game are Stella and some dark haired woman; the rest are all men... Which is weird, since final fantasies tend to be good about their female/male ratio...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Veks posted:

Yeah, the whole game seems to be a complete sausagefest... So far the only women in the game are Stella and some dark haired woman; the rest are all men... Which is weird, since final fantasies tend to be good about their female/male ratio...

"Clearly the reason fans responded negatively to FFXIII is because they couldn't handle such a strong female lead. Accordingly, our marketing department has mandated that FFXV contain no females."

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Square Enix is holding a Thanksgiving sale on their online store, including A Realm Reborn for half price. I'm mighty tempted though I swore off MMOs years ago. Just to confirm, there is a decent storyline that can mostly be played solo, right? I remember reading something of the sort in this very thread.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ojetor posted:

Square Enix is holding a Thanksgiving sale on their online store, including A Realm Reborn for half price. I'm mighty tempted though I swore off MMOs years ago. Just to confirm, there is a decent storyline that can mostly be played solo, right? I remember reading something of the sort in this very thread.

If I remember right, there are some forced dungeon bits - none of them take tremendously long, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brumaldo posted:

Action-rpg sounds like a weird definition, since most actions seems to be automated/on rails to me.
I can understand positioning for aoes, but once an enemy has decided to attack you the only ways to interrupt them seems to be a juggle or a knockdown, so I guess being farther away with a mage gives you time to cast more stuff?
Kinda sounds like overcomplicating things to me though, the black mage seemed safe to play at any range.

It's an Action-RPG, that's literally the only definition you can use for it. You control your character completely, buttons are mapped to specific actions rather than you choosing an action from a menu, you can make combos, and as you progress through the game you get more moves and styles to use that give you a whole new way to navigate fights and handle weapons. It's the first thing that came to my mind besides hack 'n slash, it is a bit unconvential since you don't run unless you are using a physical attack and they dash toward the enemy, but it's still an Action-RPG. Also, it's not advisable play Black Mage close range, even in regular fights you can't take a lot of punishment in that form and those fights have more mobile enemies. Hell, the extra classes you can use can't take a lot of damage either, I was using Dragoon and one hit from the boss took like a third of my health.

I can't speak for the whole game as I don't have it, but the demo makes it pretty clear movement is a necessary thing in a game like this where everything Lightning does is dictated by the player. I've played enough of these games by now to know how they work, this one is no different.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (Limited Edition) is also :20bux: in that sale. Mighty tempting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ojetor posted:

No. This game has gotten far too easy time in this thread on account of not being FF XIII. The story has basically no presence through most of the game and when the game does give you an interesting arc does turn up you can be sure as hell there'll hours of padding between each beat. It's WoW with less meaningful character customisation, fancier graphics and Moogles.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If I remember right, there are some forced dungeon bits - none of them take tremendously long, though.

Yes, 80% or so of the dungeons are mandatory and you can't advance the main quest until you complete them. Have fun queuing as anything other than a tank!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Welp, according to the video game deals thread in C&D, they're using Digital River for shipping. :(

I sent Amazon a price match notification on KH HD, just in case. Also apparently they'll have Theatrhythm on sale tomorrow, likely for the same price SE has.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

It's a personal taste thing, sure. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I've liked the majority of Nomura's designs, at least, those that weren't Tidus, Lulu and the character designs in XIII that weren't Sazh. The weird flare over practicality is part of the charm. It's like the eternal spiky armour versus realistic armour debate.

What was wrong witH Snow's design? At least he wasn't racist comic relief.

I'm of the school of thought that real world practicality is not nearly as important as conveying the character's personality without actually having them say or do anything. I can look at Tidus and think he's a dumb little spazz and guess what? He's a dumb little spazz. Same deal with Zell in FFVIII. I think he looks pretty stupid and he is pretty stupid.

On the flipside, Seifer's flashy white coat and the sort of cross design he has perfectly fits his "Knightliness". Also, while I don't know if this is true or not, I've always heard the reason Auron keeps his arm like that is because of some ancient tradition to do with samurai and ronin. If that's true, I think that's a positively awesome move by Nomura.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

What was wrong witH Snow's design? At least he wasn't racist comic relief.

He looks like a 6'8" guy designed by someone who's never seen someone of 6'8 size. His build and proportions just look all off, especially if he's supposed to be some kind of tough guy brawler.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Those fuckers need haircuts

edit: Snow looked like Jason Mewes in Mallrats.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The only real problem with Snow's design is one of relativity. He's an enormous man and his fiancee is so tiny that there are some majorly creepy child-bride vibes whenever they're together.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

I still think it's bullshit that this unremarkable dragon does more damage than an optional boss, though. Even if ultimate weapon isn't the hardest of hard.
Ehh, Ultima Weapon is indeed an optional boss but he's really kind of a pussy, no stronger than any regular boss by the time you reach him. I'd honestly be kind of disappointed if a final dungeon wasn't stuffed with enemies as powerful as bosses, albeit with a lot fewer HP.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That pic of the all black XV designs is sick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Theglavwen posted:

That's a cool way to look at it, but I have to wonder: should they look cohesive? Is that really a good thing? I mean, they're not a military unit here, why are they all wearing the same uniform? Why do they all have the same shoes? These are presumably six dudes, yeah? Pick five of your friends, how many times will your footwear be repeated?

I thought it was obvious they're a mob/Yakuza company?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mustach posted:

The only real problem with Snow's design is one of relativity. He's an enormous man and his fiancee is so tiny that there are some majorly creepy child-bride vibes whenever they're together.

That too. Fortunately Toriyama solved that by having the only way we know they're anything more than casual acquaintances be telling the audience they are engaged and in love.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That STILL pisses me off, which is why Snow and Serah's Magical Time Traveling Flying Motorcycle Adventures is my canon end to FFXIII-2. Despite Serah driving the majority, if not all, of Snow's character, and Snow apparently being the ONE TRUE LOVE for Serah, they never, EVER, display any actual "yo, we're married/engaged because I have to go look for your time displaced sister" stuff, but more like "oh hey, that dudes my friend. Hi friend!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Didn't one of the flashbacks show them kissing during that fireworks celebration?

Also Snow was off looking for Lightning during all of XIII-2 because he's a hero. He already went on a quest and saved one Farron so now he's aiming for 2 out of 2.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

It's probably for the best that they're not overly affectionate because, as mentioned, it looks incredibly awkward on-screen. I was pretty much cringing through that scene in XIII because Serah looks, like, 15 at best and eugghh the whole thing just seemed real gross.

Snow was just so awful. Not even Troy Baker could salvage that character and make him vaguely likeable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cloche posted:

It's probably for the best that they're not overly affectionate because, as mentioned, it looks incredibly awkward on-screen. I was pretty much cringing through that scene in XIII because Serah looks, like, 15 at best and eugghh the whole thing just seemed real gross.

Snow was just so awful. Not even Troy Baker could salvage that character and make him vaguely likeable.

I will give the character one thing: I liked his melee animations. He's the epitome of a frat boy brawler: throws nothing but cowboy roundhouses from the rear end, elbows, knees and headbutts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There is a scene in XIII when Snow and Serah are standing in front of a fireworks display and they share a kiss and Serah has to like stand up a bit on her toes to meet his lips. One of the worst "romantic" scenes I've ever had the misfortune of watching, really

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I believe that if not for Toriyama, if the game was Serah and Snow teaming up as a husband/wife dynamic duo of deadly destruction to find Lightning and fix FFXIII's leftover problems, it would have been fun, engaging, and one of my favorite games instead of part of that game series I wish we could stop talking about but we'll never stop talking about it.

EDIT: By that I mean also making it seem like Snow and Serah's relationship is legitimate and not that very creepy undertone of big guy and girl who looks like a teenager.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

It's a personal taste thing, sure. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I've liked the majority of Nomura's designs, at least, those that weren't Tidus, Lulu and the character designs in XIII that weren't Sazh. The weird flare over practicality is part of the charm. It's like the eternal spiky armour versus realistic armour debate.

Actually, for Final Fantasy XIII, the only thing Nomura designed were the characters' faces. He also did the default costume for Lightning in Lightning Returns, hopefully out of spite for hogging all the artists and programmers to make two sequels to a game no-one particularly liked.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Late, but best final dungeon was so FF9.

Crystal bit was only like two screens at the end, the rest was awesome messed-up architecture, trippy visuals, and fantastic music.

Lightning's head makes an amazing punchline. :v:

Not sure about the other designs in XV, though. Nomura gets a little bit more flack than he actually deserves (designs a fun game, is capable of drawing decent-looking characters, can't write for poo poo), but those dudes would be well-served with more distinct silhouettes and colors.

If they don't actually spend the entire game dressed that way, but at some point actually decided to coordinate their wardrobes, that would be neat though.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Mazed posted:

Late, but best final dungeon was so FF9.

Crystal bit was only like two screens at the end, the rest was awesome messed-up architecture, trippy visuals, and fantastic music.

And for all three of us that liked the card game in IX, the best players in the game are hidden around in there. Whenever you get that (!) above your head and you can't find an item, you can challenge some ~~PHANTOM~~ to the hardest card battles. Those are the true hidden bosses, since Hades is so goddamn easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

And for all three of us that liked the card game in IX, the best players in the game are hidden around in there. Whenever you get that (!) above your head and you can't find an item, you can challenge some ~~PHANTOM~~ to the hardest card battles. Those are the true hidden bosses, since Hades is so goddamn easy.

Except Tetra Master sucks and Triple Triad is the best (if you omit the bullshit rules.)

I'll still take bullshit rules over simply obtuse and downright unknowable mechanics.