Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Much as I love FFX, it has to have by far the worst final dungeonn in an FF game.
1. I liked the "Inside Sin" part when you first get off the airship but once you get passed Seymour and you're in a city or whatever, it got boring.
2. No awesome final dungeon theme either.
3. And finally, that stupid collect the falling glowy things to get to the final boss.

Orphans Cradle was just as uninspired to me.

he Pharos in FFXII will always be my favorite FF final dungeon. It felt suitably climactic, what with climbing up a hundred floor tower, had some really cool, heart-pounding music, and I enjoyed the little puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

If you wipe to an attack that does a piddly 3k in FF7, you are, by definition, not actually "overpowered as gently caress."

Well, my strategy is to pump Cloud full of HP and defense, and give him cover and counter. Then the others are just blobs of MP and magic atk. So cloud has almost 9000 HP and the rest have somewhat below 3000. I'm very overpowered as in I kill everything very easily, but everything apparently also kills me very easily.

I still think it's bullshit that this unremarkable dragon does more damage than an optional boss, though. Even if ultimate weapon isn't the hardest of hard.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Orphan's Cradle may have been uninspired but nothing will (hopefully) ever top the sheer terrible of FF3DS Crystal Tower/Dark World.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

"Eh, just make it abstract and crystal-y" is how they design final dungeons. Funny that VIII was the one with a really good one, although I suppose the level and visual design is one of the strong points of that game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Have you seriously never seen a Final Fantasy trailer before or something? This is almost all they've done. Hell, it's what most RPGs do because RPG combat doesn't make for very exciting trailers. Even stuff like Dragon Age has CGI trailers because watching a guy dramatically slaughter a dragon sells more copies than watching a guy micromanaging his positioning so you're not catching your tank in an AoE.

They even do this for games that actually do have more dynamically interesting gameplay. Shiny cutscene bullshit sells more copies than gameplay footage.

They did release a second trailer for Final Fantasy XV at E3 which focused specifically on the combat, but that actually looks fun to play, and not just a bunch of menus and numbers.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yesssss.

Also my video is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoEk6hHTqQ

Also, I realized I was completely wrong about the guard. No matter when you use it it just reduces damage. The negation of damage only happened during the boss when I was in the Chaps Lightning mode.

Well.

This looks rather horrible.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

Well.

This looks rather horrible.

For me the only immediately off-putting thing is that it's an action game with battle transitions. I mean how the hell do you still need to rely on loading up a small arena to run the game in this console generation?

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

BioMe posted:

For me the only immediately off-putting thing is that it's an action game with battle transitions. I mean how the hell do you still need to rely on loading up a small arena to run the game in this console generation?

There's that yes, it feels rather silly.

After playing the demo for myself here are some thoughts:

1)THE MUSIC IS HORRIBLE, JESUS.

2)The graphics are kinda meh to, some very low res textures. Looking at the interface felt like being punched in the eyeballs.

3)Combat feels very shallow. A perfect guard knockdowns common enemies instantly, other than that my strategy was as follows: I'M PRESSING BUTTONS! Now I'm guarding...BUT NOW I'M PRESSING BUTTONS IN A DIFFERENT OUTFIT!
I finished the whole thing without using items and with a 3 star rating thanks to my pro strats.

To be fair, demos are demos and the flow of combat was kind of enjoyable, but eh. It all feels kind of mediocre.
Maybe I don't like it simply because I don't see the appeal of dressing up anime girls.

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
Honestly, if this game is mediocre, I feel that is a step up from the last couple entries.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This looks like the same demo they had at Eurogamer Expo, although unfortunately not in English. Here's what I thought about it:

That loving Sned posted:

I played a bit of Lightning Returns at Eurogamer Expo, and it was alright. I liked how outside of combat, the attack button has been moved to R1, so you can still move the camera. The attacking isn't nearly as stiff as in XIII-2, where you're character would completely stop responding to input for about two seconds. Now you can turn Lightning while she's doing the attack, and the hitboxes are a lot better too. They even incorporated the sneaking up on enemies from the first game, so attacking an unaware enemy starts them off with 25% less health, rather than 10%.

Combat was OK, although you don't really have direct control over lightning's movement, since she runs up to an enemy when you select an attack, and then move back to where she was when she's finished the attack chain. It doesn't really matter in the demo, since you're usually fighting one enemy at a time, and you can block whenever you need to.

I'm glad they finally replaced that horrible checkerboard transparency they used in the previous two games, which made hair and eyelashes look terrible, but there's still aliasing and framerate issues. Actually, the first game was well optimised when it came to the frame rate, but since it was just corridors it's not hard to see why. In fact, next to Final Fantasy X HD, running at a full 1080p with a solid 30 fps, Lightning Returns doesn't really look that much better, besides the skin texture on character's faces, or the crazy particle effects everywhere for no reason. It certainly doesn't look as good as Dark Souls II, which doesn't need to go to a battle screen every minute, and has top notch lighting and motion blur. Lightning didn't seem to cast any sort of shadow indoors, there was no SSAA, and some of the environment textures were very low resolution and repetitive.

Still, it's a JRPG that's not on a handheld, and those are pretty rare nowadays. I got suckered in with XIII-2's demo, which portrayed a much better game than it turned out to be when the difficulty curve falls off a cliff and you need to search the timeline for poo poo just to progress the plot. They must have known that I was wanting to wait a few weeks for it to drop in price by half, so they had to go and make the Cloud costume a pre-order bonus.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Super Best Friend Cast went shitnuts from Lighting Returns ending. I watched the japanese ending and apparently Lightning somehow creates Earth and ends up in France? Also wasn't there Lifestream?

A bit curious what Nomura is up to now. :allears:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

A bit curious what Nomura is up to now. :allears:

The story to XV's already been leaked.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

Comparison of launch week sales for the FFXIII series:

2009: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 1,501,964
2011: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) - 524,217
2013: Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 277,082

At this point we are slowly seeing that Phil Fish was right all along...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tonfa posted:

Orphan's Cradle may have been uninspired but nothing will (hopefully) ever top the sheer terrible of FF3DS Crystal Tower/Dark World.

The only thing that made that terrible was the lack of save points. The original NES version was understandable, but whoever said "yeah lets make an RPG in The Year of Our Lord 2006 without save points in dungeons" should have been fired.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The Brave New World mod for FF6 ain't too bad. Mega64 is doing a let's play of it but it looked too fun not to try it myself and so far I'm really liking the additions, changes, and just general bug fixes. A shame that espers are still so deep in the game, though. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

floor is lava posted:

At this point we are slowly seeing that Phil Fish was right all along...

No one wants to put up with Toriyama's fanwanking it seems.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I thought this might be the worst-selling numbered Final Fantasy, but they seem to have got round that :v:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The only thing that made that terrible was the lack of save points. The original NES version was understandable, but whoever said "yeah lets make an RPG in The Year of Our Lord 2006 without save points in dungeons" should have been fired.

Yeah, it's just the lack of save points that kills it. The music and visuals are cool for Eureka, the Tower and even the dark world, the bosses are nice and there's tons of cool treasures to find. But oops get your rear end kicked and do it all over!.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Brumaldo posted:

3)Combat feels very shallow. A perfect guard knockdowns common enemies instantly, other than that my strategy was as follows: I'M PRESSING BUTTONS! Now I'm guarding...BUT NOW I'M PRESSING BUTTONS IN A DIFFERENT OUTFIT!
I finished the whole thing without using items and with a 3 star rating thanks to my pro strats.

To be fair, demos are demos and the flow of combat was kind of enjoyable, but eh. It all feels kind of mediocre.
Maybe I don't like it simply because I don't see the appeal of dressing up anime girls.

Yeah, this was the impression I got when I played the demo at E3 -- instead of being more of an action RPG, LR just pays lip service to the idea. What disappointed me most is that moving Lightning around didn't seem to affect much of anything during the battle.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What. I don't even

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

That loving Sned posted:

The story to XV's already been leaked.

You joke, but I get this ominous feeling that Toriyama will try to corrupt XV in some petty act of revenge over whatever 13-3's reputation will turn out to be. That or somehow try to stall its development yet again to make 13-4 and as many lightning games as it takes "until the sales match the original 13".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

You joke, but I get this ominous feeling that Toriyama will try to corrupt XV in some petty act of revenge over whatever 13-3's reputation will turn out to be. That or somehow try to stall its development yet again to make 13-4 and as many lightning games as it takes "until the sales match the original 13".

That is not going to happen. Toriyama is not a magical genie, nor is he the dread cthulhu. If FFXV sucks it will suck on its own merits.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crabtree posted:

You joke, but I get this ominous feeling that Toriyama will try to corrupt XV in some petty act of revenge over whatever 13-3's reputation will turn out to be.

XV is Nomura's game, if anyone is going to make any decisions about XV it's going to be Nomura and his team. The story is going to be stupid, but it will be a stupid of a fun kind much like the KH games stupid and it will also have a super fun combat system like every other game he's been a big part of has had.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

bobservo posted:

Yeah, this was the impression I got when I played the demo at E3 -- instead of being more of an action RPG, LR just pays lip service to the idea. What disappointed me most is that moving Lightning around didn't seem to affect much of anything during the battle.

Do you think they were intentionally making an action RPG or are if they have been slowly independently inventing an action RPG?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sex_Ferguson posted:

XV is Nomura's game, if anyone is going to make any decisions about XV it's going to be Nomura and his team. The story is going to be stupid, but it will be a stupid of a fun kind much like the KH games stupid and it will also have a super fun combat system like every other game he's been a big part of has had.

I thought they had formed some quality control council where Yoshida would repetitively slap anyone who has a very terrible idea for the new FF games. Oh well, whatever Nomura's zipper fetish has mutated into over the 7-8 years of development of 15 couldn't be any worse than what Toriyama did to 13-3. Right?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

That is not going to happen. Toriyama is not a magical genie, nor is he the dread cthulhu. If FFXV sucks it will suck on its own merits.

I don't know, I can see Noctis and his group stopping about mid game to don their ceremonial moogle dresses and worship the Goddess Claire Farron.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Crabtree posted:

Oh well, whatever Nomura's zipper fetish has mutated into over the 7-8 years of development of 15 couldn't be any worse than what Toriyama did to 13-3. Right?
I know giving Nomura poo poo over belts and zippers is fun, but by all indications he's mellowed out a lot in that regard; we've actually seen the character designs for XV and they're a lot more grounded than A DRESS OF BELTS or whatever it was Tidus was wearing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXV's clothing was designed by professional Japanese clothing designers IIRC.

Nomura has chilled out a bit though but still favors flare on his clothing over practicality 10 times out of 10.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I still think it's bullshit that this unremarkable dragon does more damage than an optional boss, though. Even if ultimate weapon isn't the hardest of hard.

I didn't know that Ultimate Weapon was optional until I read this, I guess it makes sense though. I always look forward to that fight because I remember during my first playthrough how much of my Materia leveled up upon beating him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Well, my strategy is to pump Cloud full of HP and defense, and give him cover and counter. Then the others are just blobs of MP and magic atk. So cloud has almost 9000 HP and the rest have somewhat below 3000. I'm very overpowered as in I kill everything very easily, but everything apparently also kills me very easily.

This is like a series tradition at this point though?

You've got WarMECH in 1, the Iron Giant in 2, Brachioraidos in 6, all of which are deadlier than a good deal of bosses in the game. And probably a ton more that I can't remember.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iron Beagle posted:

I didn't know that Ultimate Weapon was optional until I read this, I guess it makes sense though. I always look forward to that fight because I remember during my first playthrough how much of my Materia leveled up upon beating him.

Don't you have to fight him once as a mandatory a boss and then after that you need to chase him around the world two more times to get Cloud's ultimate weapon? I know at minimum the get Cloud's ultimate (and crappy looking) ultimate weapon is optional.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpAtom posted:

FFXV's clothing was designed by professional Japanese clothing designers IIRC.

Nomura has chilled out a bit though but still favors flare on his clothing over practicality 10 times out of 10.
Even if he still draws zipper-belts in his trapper keeper, if he's willing to hand off design work in his signature area for the sake of making a better game he's at least recognized how to be more professional than deliberately designing a costume that would give CG animators problems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Even if he still draws zipper-belts in his trapper keeper, if he's willing to hand off design work in his signature area for the sake of making a better game he's at least recognized how to be more professional than deliberately designing a costume that would give CG animators problems.

To be fair, Lulu's entire personality is to be the party's Eeyore so its not like she was gonna spruce up those cutscenes anyway.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Squallege posted:

I don't know, I can see Noctis and his group stopping about mid game to don their ceremonial moogle dresses and worship the Goddess Claire Farron.

Toriyama has no involvement in XV, thankfully.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 27, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would not mind Lightning being the goddess of Fashion Designer Clothing in XV's world to be honest.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Uh-oh, don't say Toriyama's name three times, guys, or you might suddenly find yourself wearing a weird dress!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mustach posted:

Uh-oh, don't say Toriyama's name three times, guys, or you might suddenly find yourself wearing a weird dress!

The Candyman sequels got really weird by the thirteenth installment.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I sort of wish there were some belts or buckles on those bland-boys, because drat, I don't know how excited I can get for '6 party members wear realistic every-day business suits in slightly different manners'.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

It's a personal taste thing, sure. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I've liked the majority of Nomura's designs, at least, those that weren't Tidus, Lulu and the character designs in XIII that weren't Sazh. The weird flare over practicality is part of the charm. It's like the eternal spiky armour versus realistic armour debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is like a series tradition at this point though?

You've got WarMECH in 1, the Iron Giant in 2, Brachioraidos in 6, all of which are deadlier than a good deal of bosses in the game. And probably a ton more that I can't remember.

Wasn't the Iron Giant in 2 just one of the emperor's minions along with Beelzebub and the others? I don't recall it being particularly challenging.