Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, even on normal the first dungeon is probably the hardest one to do in one day, which is what I did and got more game overs than every other dungeon combined. You just don't have the SP to power through it in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I powered through with ng+ personas and was able to oneshot the palaces until I hit the pyramid.

But I also struggle to juggle buffs, debuffs, and the strengths/weaknesses of each persona which probably has more to do with it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I started playing this like a week and a half ago and have not been able to put it down. Even with the various complaints I have, it's amazing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I've had it since launch, played it as far as the 3rd Palace but got distracted before I finished it (I may have hit a roadblock too, I forget). I picked it back up again and have been playing fairly constantly, just little bits every day really. I'm on the 6th Palace now. It's not without its faults, but it's a fun game. I like the battle system a lot, and I like the QOL abilities that the Confidants give you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ryuji finally does something cool at the final palace.

Also I just realized how loving OP the MC is compared to the rest of the party. He is stronger them lore wise and in game. Akechi would be the only one who is close to him in terms of power levels. He is versatile but also gets higher tiers of damage and utility than everyone else. I think you could probably solo most of the game with him in normal except when the bosses get "special" game breaking mechanics.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Joker isn't that much stronger than the rest of the party til late game. He's super versatile, but in terms of individual roles Ann/Ryuji will be pretty much on par in terms of damage.

Compare that to P3, where the only character that gets close to the MC in terms of numbers is Mitsuru (and Shinjiro if you ground him up enough).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Joker isn't that much stronger than the rest of the party til late game. He's super versatile, but in terms of individual roles Ann/Ryuji will be pretty much on par in terms of damage.

Compare that to P3, where the only character that gets close to the MC in terms of numbers is Mitsuru (and Shinjiro if you ground him up enough).

Yeah. Ann/Haru/Ryuji can all be competitive with the protagonist at their niches even in the endgame (magic damage/gun damage/physical damage) and Makoto/Morgana both are really good healers with Makoto even having surprisingly high magic damage potential at literally the end of the game.

Its only really Yusuke who struggles to pull his weight, and that's mostly because he's built around mechanics a lot of boss fights/harder fights in general ignore. And he got screwed out of charge.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zore posted:

Its only really Yusuke who struggles to pull his weight, and that's mostly because he's built around mechanics a lot of boss fights/harder fights in general ignore. And he got screwed out of charge.

He also gets hosed skill-wise. God's Hand is immensely more powerful than Brave Blade.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ya Ann/Ryuji can get close because of charge/concentrate but the MC still has the strongest debuffs, buffs, heals, magic dmg and physical dmg. Also don't forget he can get resistance/repel/drain to pretty much every type of dmg. Which none of the party comes close.

I was mainly talking about late game ya. Early-mid game it's pretty even but late game it's not close imo. Especially because all the resistances + versatile role he can play.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cool, a completely dark maze.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

It isn't as bad as it looks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

irlZaphod posted:

Use third eye

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I was doing ok but got punked by an enemy, surrounded and had my rear end kicked. I was using Vita Remote Play, which probably wasn't helpful.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally finished this after playing it for 2 months. Took around 90h but I do believe I lost big chunks of progression due to not saving a couple of times and my ps3 crashing.

Anyway, really liked and it made me interested in playing the older Persona/SMT games. I actually preferred the combat/dungeons over the social aspect but some of the confidants had really interesting stories. The story starts off really strong but then slows down for most of the mid game until the end where it picks up again and goes absolutely batshit crazy. The ryuji scene in Shido's palace, the final fight are two of my highlights.

I am probably gonna now listen to the OST again and try to find out a few of the tracks that I really loved. Also the OST is so unique for gaming and jrpgs in general.

I was thinking of doing a ng+ hard run and complete the persona compendium but there is so much other stuff to play and this game has a couple of really slow months. If they ever make a golden version or by some luck of god release it on PC I would play it again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ulio posted:

Ya Ann/Ryuji can get close because of charge/concentrate but the MC still has the strongest debuffs, buffs, heals, magic dmg and physical dmg. Also don't forget he can get resistance/repel/drain to pretty much every type of dmg. Which none of the party comes close.

I was mainly talking about late game ya. Early-mid game it's pretty even but late game it's not close imo. Especially because all the resistances + versatile role he can play.

Well, yeah. It's pretty blatantly obvious that a character with the ability to shuffle between different elemental affinities and 6-12 different skillsets is gonna be way stronger than the rest of the party.

The disparity between Joker and the rest of the party isn't even close to that between P3MC and the crew. Which makes sense both storywise, and because you're literally meant to solo the bonus boss.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So was something meant to happen in Hawaii that got cut? It felt like a whole load of animation, locations and assets for essentially nothing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Steve2911 posted:

So was something meant to happen in Hawaii that got cut? It felt like a whole load of animation, locations and assets for essentially nothing.

I think the main point of it is to show that the Phantom Thieves' influence has moved worldwide, but the real answer is probably "we decided to include this and when it turned out we didn't have enough to fill it with we couldn't cut it because we'd already commissioned the animated cutscene."

For a similar example, see the intro to Futaba's Palace, where there's a random assembly we never see despite it being summer vacation and Yusuke's conveniently washing all his clothes on the same day you go in for the first time because "oh poo poo, we already made the cutscene and everyone's wearing their uniforms."

There's also a weird detail where the protagonist's glasses disappear in most of the animated scenes after like, May, which makes people think he was supposed to take them off in a story beat at some point.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ulio posted:

Finally finished this after playing it for 2 months. Took around 90h but I do believe I lost big chunks of progression due to not saving a couple of times and my ps3 crashing.

Anyway, really liked and it made me interested in playing the older Persona/SMT games. I actually preferred the combat/dungeons over the social aspect but some of the confidants had really interesting stories. The story starts off really strong but then slows down for most of the mid game until the end where it picks up again and goes absolutely batshit crazy. The ryuji scene in Shido's palace, the final fight are two of my highlights.

I am probably gonna now listen to the OST again and try to find out a few of the tracks that I really loved. Also the OST is so unique for gaming and jrpgs in general.

I was thinking of doing a ng+ hard run and complete the persona compendium but there is so much other stuff to play and this game has a couple of really slow months. If they ever make a golden version or by some luck of god release it on PC I would play it again.

Good news! What separates Persona from the rest of the SMT franchise isn't the combat/dungeons but the social aspects. The rest of the franchise has a similar battle system (with differences here and there depending on the title), is way more into dungeon delving, and avoids the dating sim aspects at large.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm in the... sixth?... Palace, and I feel like it's going to drag. Well, it already kind of is. The sections in between each area are kind of frustrating. They're not difficult, they just feel drawn out. I'm at the 3rd area now, so I hopefully only have one or two more of them to go. Also the King Frosts really hit hard. I had to swap out Ann because my party was getting murdered from KF getting extra turns from hitting her.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

irlZaphod posted:

I'm in the... sixth?... Palace, and I feel like it's going to drag. Well, it already kind of is. The sections in between each area are kind of frustrating. They're not difficult, they just feel drawn out. I'm at the 3rd area now, so I hopefully only have one or two more of them to go. Also the King Frosts really hit hard. I had to swap out Ann because my party was getting murdered from KF getting extra turns from hitting her.

For the love of god make sure joker has some persona that can repel/null physical attacks + stand up to curse/bless because I lost a good hour + of playtime thanks to a series of like five bosses that are pretty tricky if you're unprepared with no save room in between and no way of retreating . The game gives you no indication it's going to happen so I wandered right into it already half exhausted from dungeon crawling. On the plus side they're trivial with those resistances

More precisely it's the part where you have to go down to the engine room.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Ulio posted:

Ya, the beginning of the game was strong all around for me as well. In the middle both the dungeons and the story started to drag... the story picked up later but by that point I was ready for the game to end and super tired of the Dungeons... I feel like the first 30 hours of the game was everything I wanted from a Persona game but they just could not keep it up.

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know, it felt completely wasted to me. I mean, there were trips in P3 and P4, but those had story points (P3) or were at least fun (P4) where as the P5 trip just was... boring.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think Hawaii was the first time I realized that I could just fast forward through a lot of story beats and miss nothing because I could just stop and read the log if the music changed or characters reacted to something.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I think Hawaii was the first time I realized that I could just fast forward through a lot of story beats and miss nothing because I could just stop and read the log if the music changed or characters reacted to something.

Preach. I probably missed some stuff by doing this but a lot of the conversations were almost word for word repeats of a previous encounter. Seriously doing this helped me complete the game. Or else I would have probably dropped it

Pash posted:

Ya, the beginning of the game was strong all around for me as well. In the middle both the dungeons and the story started to drag... the story picked up later but by that point I was ready for the game to end and super tired of the Dungeons... I feel like the first 30 hours of the game was everything I wanted from a Persona game but they just could not keep it up.

I feel like for me mostly the story dragged. I didn't mind the dungeons but I was probably overleveled most of the game. I didn't like the final final dungeon. The normal enemies were way too annoying and I didn't want to port back to restore sp/hp after each battle.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Playing Persona 4 Golden on Normal and this game is kicking my rear end a bit. It feels a lot more technical than PS5. I'm having to to think a lot more about buffs and use status effects for crowd control. (Yosuke is the man for being able to cast Silence on enemies.) PS5 lets you get away with being a little underleveled for boss fights so long as you have the right kind of persona and the guns even things out but I'm currently at lvl 20 for the second dungeon and the final boss keeps handing my rear end to me which means g r i n d i n g.

Overall P4G reminds me a lot of Tales of Symphonia which was another game that took leveling pretty seriously. The UI on P4G is also a bit of a struggle because it lacks the QOL features PS5 has but P4G is the older game so its not like that's surprising. It's certainly a different experience.

tl;dr P4G good so what

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just buff your party and you should be fine. I'm not very good at games but any time I got stuck on a boss or whatever I never had to grind really. I usually just fused some new strong persona or whatever. I used buffs and debuffs a lot, but not status effects as much (silence maybe sometimes).

Remember to guard if a boss is going to hit the weakpoint of one of your characters. That was one thing I had to get used to coming from P3P.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I got very confused because I was sure Yosuke can't inflict Silence, so I looked up his skillset again. I think you mean Panic (Tentarafoo).

It does help that the three-man buff party (Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie) gels better than Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yosuke does, in fact, learn Makajam

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wait, really? When? His skillset seems to be Garu/Bash/Dia/Sukukaja/Dekaja then it just goes onto natural progression from there, picking up Tentarafoo at 23.

It's definitely not a Golden SL skill addition, either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Level 10

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, it's been years since I played P4G and the wiki hasn't had his moveset updated for it, I guess. Good for him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Just buff your party and you should be fine. I'm not very good at games but any time I got stuck on a boss or whatever I never had to grind really. I usually just fused some new strong persona or whatever. I used buffs and debuffs a lot, but not status effects as much (silence maybe sometimes).

Remember to guard if a boss is going to hit the weakpoint of one of your characters. That was one thing I had to get used to coming from P3P.

inhales slowly
i totally forgot about fusing personas in this game because of the card system
kinda frustrating though the good personas are always above my level lmao, however I'm now at 22 so probably can get some good personas that are immune to physical attacks.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I got very confused because I was sure Yosuke can't inflict Silence, so I looked up his skillset again. I think you mean Panic (Tentarafoo).

It does help that the three-man buff party (Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie) gels better than Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto.

It is in fact Makajam and it's great

HIJK fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 9, 2018

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
"Whoa, lookin' cool Jo- Did you just call upon Satan?"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stumpus posted:

"Whoa, lookin' cool Jo- Did you just call upon Satan?"

I got a kick out of having Satan and Also Satan in my final party

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

IcePhoenix posted:

I got a kick out of having Satan and Also Satan in my final party

put Setanta, Cú Chulainn, Baal Zebul and Beelzebub in there too, then

maybe Shiva, Parvati, and Ardha as well

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's almost been a year since release and It's Time To Return.

I've actually tried to return to the game a few times since then, but I couldn't bring myself to not play on Merciless, and most of my runs have ended because I got stonewalled in the first dungeon, realized I wouldn't be able to do it in one day, and decided I'd try again but harder another time. Now is that time, and I did all the dumb things the guide told me to like grinding by save/loading on the tutorial days. I hit the top of the first Palace, but I still gotta go back down and grab all the Personas I'm gonna need for social links, which includes grinding to level 9 so I can grab Berith and also have a shot at beating the boss.

Basically the only thing keeping me motivated from a gameplay-standpoint is knowing that the second palace boss is the one with weaknesses and it's gonna be real fun to absolutely trash him. My next big decision is whether or not to exploit the confusion mementos trick to get a bazillion dollars

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Game just oozes style. I love it.

Slow to start though, I've been playing 3 hours and a lot has happened but I've done very little to cause it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Game just oozes style. I love it.

Slow to start though, I've been playing 3 hours and a lot has happened but I've done very little to cause it.

All Persona games have very slow opening...hours. In P4, I'm pretty sure you go 5+ hours in that game without getting into a fight and then it's another hour before you go into the first dungeon. P5 gets you in there a little faster but the first dungeon definitely drags, so hang in there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's almost been a year since release and It's Time To Return.

I've actually tried to return to the game a few times since then, but I couldn't bring myself to not play on Merciless, and most of my runs have ended because I got stonewalled in the first dungeon, realized I wouldn't be able to do it in one day, and decided I'd try again but harder another time. Now is that time, and I did all the dumb things the guide told me to like grinding by save/loading on the tutorial days. I hit the top of the first Palace, but I still gotta go back down and grab all the Personas I'm gonna need for social links, which includes grinding to level 9 so I can grab Berith and also have a shot at beating the boss.

Basically the only thing keeping me motivated from a gameplay-standpoint is knowing that the second palace boss is the one with weaknesses and it's gonna be real fun to absolutely trash him. My next big decision is whether or not to exploit the confusion mementos trick to get a bazillion dollars

No palace bosses (except the fifth) have actual weaknesses. You can induce a weakness in the second, but only after like 2/3rds into the fight.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It was probably a good idea for P5 to start in media res, since they let you basically start the game with a fight. Of course it takes hours after that before you actually get to tackle a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man, I was trying to make an ethical decision over whether or not to do the Mementos Confusion trick to farm SP Patches, thinking I wouldn't need to because the second palace wouldn't be as brutal as the first. Then, I watch the video guide that I'd been using, and it not only says to do that trick, but also says that the second palace is one of the toughest in the game and the boss is the most difficult one on Merciless. It also says that the boss is essentially impossible to do if you're below level 13 and even then you need to farm specific enemy drops. It recommends grinding up to level 16 and also farm enough yen for TWO SP patches so you/Ann can farm levels on enemies indefinitely. The two Merciless guides I've checked also recommend you to push off the dungeon for a while so you're able to boost your ranks of Sun so you can negotiate more effectively.

The last time I didn't grind as much/didn't buy as much gear as the guide told me to, I ended up having to use the DLC Soma the game gives you against the first boss, and there's no way I could have won that fight without using it. Guess it's time to load up some Youtube videos and get into it, though now I have some serious questions for the few people that claimed they were playing Merciless in this thread back when the game came out and said the difficulty was "fine" and that they didn't have to grind too much