Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

First buy all the minions/orchestrion rolls/etc. you care about. Then:

If you can, level desynthesis. If you care, get stuff for the 3.0 relic weapon (but that sounds awful, don't do that). Otherwise go to Idyllshire and trade it in for Grade 3 topsoil to sell on the MB.

I really, really like the look of the Rhongomiant and the Hyperconductive version for my Dragoon but I don't know if I can tolerate Atma Farming 2.0 all the gently caress over again to get it.

I like the Longinus variants as well but I have to do all that braves book poo poo and some light infusing thing :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

I love how square had to come out and, like, remind players that he WoL is canonically getting help and not just fighting bosses solo. Stormblood in particular goes out of its way to have NPCs emphasize the whole "gather adventurers and come back!" thing (though I guess the steppes boss is a bit of a grey area)

I think a major part of this is probably the fact that post-dungeon/trial/raid are now played AFTER the instance, which means other players' characters can't be shown in them

Nah, you solo everything.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bolow posted:

Ok, so I'm guessing the gearing works like this

310 Tome Gear > Primal EX's > Deltascape > Deltascape Savage

?

AF 3 > Dungeon > (Deltascape=Primal Ex=Crafted unless crafted is overmelted) > Savage

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jalapeno_dude posted:

No, you really wouldn't, because the drop rate from crows would be like 5% and they'd cost 10000 gil a pop on the MB.

Yeah I'm leveling crafting now and mats you have to farm from monsters can just go straight to hell

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bolow posted:

I like the Longinus variants as well but I have to do all that braves book poo poo and some light infusing thing :shepicide:

I'm not gonna say it wasn't boring as all gently caress, but it wasn't hard either. Worst step was honestly the buy all materia ever to shove into a book because people love to gouge on old lovely materia.

But the Longinus Zeta was worth it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mymla posted:

Nah, some of the flavor text in this expansion literally said "Go get some of those guys you usually kill poo poo like this with" cementing that every Scion but you is loving useless.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Nah, some of the flavor text in this expansion literally said "Go get some of those guys you usually kill poo poo like this with" cementing that every Scion but you is loving useless.

Yeah, but apparently that's not in the japanese script.

And more importantly, none the plot or cutscenes makes any goddamn sense if you have 3-7 pocket friends with you at all times.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, yes, just give me Shiren the Warrior of Light. Give it to me now. I will never play anything else in FFXIV again.

I still haven't beaten the final puzzle.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mymla posted:

Yeah, but apparently that's not in the japanese script.

And more importantly, none the plot or cutscenes makes any goddamn sense if you have 3-7 pocket friends with you at all times.

The plot already doesn't make sense. Having a linkshell rolodex of veteran troubleshooters is nowhere near the largest hole/unbelievable thing.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The murder hobo squad is just your crew of tempered minions that you can summon at will (though dps classes suck at it and take forever to do the summoning)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

The plot already doesn't make sense. Having a linkshell rolodex of veteran troubleshooters is nowhere near the largest hole/unbelievable thing.

Why create more holes when there's the perfectly reasonable explanation of "WoL solos all fights except the ones NPCs take part in, and the rest of the party is just a gameplay thing"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

Why create more holes when there's the perfectly reasonable explanation of "WoL solos all fights except the ones NPCs take part in, and the rest of the party is just a gameplay thing"?

Because the game explicitly and openly states that you call people for help and that groups of adventurers are a common thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The 3-7 chumps that show up and give me their energy so I can loving spirit bomb a god.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Because the game explicitly and openly states that you call people for help and that groups of adventurers are a common thing.

But it doesn't. That's just Koji having a laugh.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Mymla posted:

Because then this creates a different narrative problem of "why doesn't the literal god-slaying WoL just beat up these Ul'dahn guards/Ishgardian Knights/Garlean soldiers" instead of having to futz about with alternative means.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

But it doesn't. That's just Koji having a laugh.

There are in-game cutscenes which show the other adventurers.

Like, yeah, not all of them, but "other adventurers exist" is an actual thing in-game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Because then this creates a different narrative problem of "why doesn't the literal god-slaying WoL just beat up these Ul'dahn guards/Ishgardian Knights/Garlean soldiers" instead of having to futz about with alternative means.

But you... do? Like, frequently? What exactly are you referring to?

ImpAtom posted:

Like, yeah, not all of them, but "other adventurers exist" is an actual thing in-game.

Yeah, and none of them take part in any important fights.

I don't get why you can't separate story and gameplay here.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

You literally start the game in a hangout for other adventurers after all.

I figure for most of the df fights that don't have a ready-made explanation for why you have buddies with you ("uh, these other three guys? Yeah the amalja'a captured them too") you're just using your adventurer connections or WoL rep to call in some backup for big deal fights. There's never actually a story question of whether or not some mooks in a trash pack will defeat you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

Yeah, and none of them take part in any important fights.

I don't get why you can't separate story and gameplay here.

Because the game doesn't? Adventurers exist both in dialogue and in cutscenes and it's just as easy to point out that it makes no sense for them not to exist as anything. "The Warrior of Light is exceptional because they are ALWAYS the one at the forefront" makes just as much sense as "The Warrior of Light, a white mage, is literally solo-fighting everything in the game."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The PC isn't the only character with the echo, like 1.0 is all about Minfilia assembling a guild of them, the Path of the Twelve, and that group later becomes the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. So canonically the PC has a lot of friends

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mymla posted:

Nobody ever reads the flavor text.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Even if some of the specific text about gathering a party is just localization fun, I'm sure there's like, some kind of editorial veto power. If Koji Fox decided that Alphinaud should turn to the camera and say "Phrenology is real," instead of "Pray proceed to the cathedral" or whatever surely somebody would stop him.

See too the numerous other four-person adventuring teams you meet along the way, the background prevalence of adventuring guilds and other social bodies throughout the world, etc.. Even if the WoL is exceptional in many ways it seems silly to insist that all of this worldbuilding about how important teamwork and community is exists for no reason.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
SB spoilers:

Alisaie
As before, our numbers limit our options. I wish I could claim to have a brilliant plan, but I don't─all I have is a desperate one.
Alisaie
Lyse, you and I will do our best to draw the Kojin away from the primal. We'll lead them on a wild-dodo chase all over this isle.
Alisaie
The rest of the plan, I'm afraid you can guess. I'm sorry, , I truly am, but neither of us can even approach Susano, much less hope to defeat him. Which means you're on your own.
Lyse
Well, who knows? She does have an awful lot of adventurer friends. Maybe some of them decided to take a fishing trip to the Far East, and are surprisingly close by...?
Alisaie
Yes, and I speak fluent Hingan. Come on, there's no point putting this off!

Like, there are two possible stories here. Either there are 7 randos that can get to the isle of zekki within the 10-15 minutes the diversion is going to last, that have never been seen or mentioned before this point, all with the echo and all world-class warriors, or, bear with me here,
the WoL just goes off to kill Susano alone and Lyse's comment is just a fourth wall breaking joke. One of these possibilities is plausible, the other is not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Third possibility: it doesn't matter and trying to gauge your catgirl dressup MMO character's canonical power level is pointless.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mymla posted:

SB spoilers:

Alisaie
As before, our numbers limit our options. I wish I could claim to have a brilliant plan, but I don't─all I have is a desperate one.
Alisaie
Lyse, you and I will do our best to draw the Kojin away from the primal. We'll lead them on a wild-dodo chase all over this isle.
Alisaie
The rest of the plan, I'm afraid you can guess. I'm sorry, , I truly am, but neither of us can even approach Susano, much less hope to defeat him. Which means you're on your own.
Lyse
Well, who knows? She does have an awful lot of adventurer friends. Maybe some of them decided to take a fishing trip to the Far East, and are surprisingly close by...?
Alisaie

Like, there are two possible stories here. Either there are 7 randos that can get to the isle of zekki within the 10-15 minutes the diversion is going to last, that have never been seen or mentioned before this point, all with the echo and all world-class warriors, or, bear with me here,
the WoL just goes off to kill Susano alone and Lyse's comment is just a fourth wall breaking joke. One of these possibilities is plausible, the other is not.

Oh boy. Now do Teleport and Return spells.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The whole Aethernet thing in cities is kind of terrifying to me.

"What happened to James"

"Oh he walked too close to the Aethernet crystal by the market and got telefragged by some Adventurer, poor bastard was smeared across half the stalls"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

SB spoilers:

Alisaie
Alisaie
Alisaie
Lyse
Alisaie

Your argument is literally "The thing that happens both in gameplay and in story is not the thing that happens, despite both gameplay and story reflecting it."

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Trasson posted:

Oh boy. Now do Teleport and Return spells.

Should be used more in the story.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can we not have a real fight about this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mymla posted:

SB spoilers:

Alisaie
Alisaie
Alisaie
Lyse
Alisaie

doesn't Alisaie literally say "you should probably be able to handle it if you bring...oh...seven friends along?"

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Glad to see the game talks about it way less seriously than you people do.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ImpAtom posted:

Because the game doesn't? Adventurers exist both in dialogue and in cutscenes and it's just as easy to point out that it makes no sense for them not to exist as anything. "The Warrior of Light is exceptional because they are ALWAYS the one at the forefront" makes just as much sense as "The Warrior of Light, a white mage, is literally solo-fighting everything in the game."

no no you see my warrior of light, an astrologian, one-on-one fought Shinryu, a half-mile long dragon god, after that half-mile long dragon god merged with an absurdly powerful warrior. The people running across the bridge to fight alongside her were just figments of the player's imagination.

The whole solipsistic Warrior of Light thing is just :psyduck: to me and I half-suspect that Koji Fox is just putting these fourth wall poking things in to mess with people because it was never even a question to the Japanese playerbase.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you canonically fight with other adventurers like all the time (who have the echo)

like yeah okay if occam's razor didn't exist we can pretend all the references in game to you fighting with 3-7 other people are just jokes that make no sense contextually in-universe but if we're assuming 'the dialog in this game has no bearing on what's actually happening' the entire storyline of the game sort of falls apart

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What's the in game explanation for why I keep getting toto rak in ldr

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll trade you my copperbells for it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't the lead up to Ifrit see you taken prisoner and having to escape through a hole in a cave to literally find back up for you to kick Ifrit's rear end with?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's an addiction, man. You do it once and think you're done, but soon you find yourself back trudging through the slime and filth for that experience boost.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Saint Freak posted:

I'll trade you my copperbells for it.

Would either of you like all of these Keeper of the Lake runs I get in 50/60 roulette?

Because I get a lot of Keeper of the Lake runs in 50/60 roulette.

Level 51 character, level 70 character, solo queueing or going with four goons, doesn't matter it's always Keeper of the Lake and maybe one Amdapor Keep Hard a week.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Doesn't the lead up to Ifrit see you taken prisoner and having to escape through a hole in a cave to literally find back up for you to kick Ifrit's rear end with?

Yes, that's why they let you out, to go get others to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Easy: roulettes are basically you recalling a past adventure, and you had such a lovely time in Totorak that you think about it a lot (as you grumble to your fellow adventurers over a beer).