Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I wish I could play on large galaxy settings past year 120 without my PC dying. Wiz, please fix :(

The true measure of any modern PC is how fast it can run late game Paradox games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ethiser posted:

The true measure of any modern PC is how fast it can run late game Paradox games.

I just feel like there's something off in their programming. My understanding is this game asks a lot of the processor and RAM more than GPU. Feels like it's failing to use all my cores or something because I have no issues running a billion processes at once for work related poo poo. Granted, I don't have a new PC but even Civ doesn't get this bad.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Err so wait is the mega-engineering tech I need to fix a ring world I found a dlc only thing?

No you should be able to fix them without DLC since they existed in the base game. No new ones though.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 4, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ethiser posted:

Purge everything and it will run ok.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I just feel like there's something off in their programming. My understanding is this game asks a lot of the processor and RAM more than GPU. Feels like it's failing to use all my cores or something because I have no issues running a billion processes at once for work related poo poo. Granted, I don't have a new PC but even Civ doesn't get this bad.

No you should be able to fix them without DLC since they existed in the base game. No new ones though.

The engine doesn't take advantage of multiple cores very well, from what I've been able to tell most or all of the load is given to a single core.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Whew, I really suck at Stellaris now so all i'm living for is to fix up the old Cybran-quest ring and move my capital there.

Speaking of sucking, I see people saying all the time if you're outnumbered by the enemy, just siege their planets with multiple fleets instead of doomstacking. But I tried that, and the doomstack just beelines for my smaller fleets. Like are you supposed to just invade planets right away and not bombard defenses? That's what really killed me time-wise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

I’ve come to favor the authoritarian one, he feels like a proper sinister vizier.

He's basically the romulan announcer from star trek armada 2 and it's great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

Wiz can we get a slider for this too?

New thread title? Because seriously I want like 50 sliders for map generation.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Slider for how many clicks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I do wish that when you click on a 'finished building research station' / 'survey completed' type notification that it just scrolled you to it in galaxy map view, rather than straight to the system map. Don't suppose there's a mod that changes that anywhere, is there?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Meldonox posted:

I was reading an article about the upcoming patch making all FTL travel the same and it got me wondering, did the asymmetric mobility make things an unbalanced mess in.. what was it, Sword of the Stars? I haven't played a ton of either this or that so I'm not really familiar with how well or poorly it balanced out.

No, but SotS was entirely asymmetric. Every race's playstyle tended to either compliment or be complimented by their mode of transport. Or, in some cases, their movement method was also their weakness.

The Humans had a hyperspace-like node network. They were really good at bum-rushing a world in an early war since it wasn't always obvious where node lines would connect and they could mass fleets outside sensor range and hit a world undetected. But their engine section could be attacked from any angle, so if you were certain to lose you could focus on crippling some of their ships which would really hurt their ability to continue to fight.

The Zuul also had hyperlanes, but they couldn't use the natural ones. You had to bore your own with giant heaven-piercing drills that you were practically guaranteed to lose. They couldn't pull off early-game surprise attacks like humans and you always knew where their chokepoints were but it didn't matter because 50% of a Zuul ship was guns and the other 50% was angry boarding parties of pissed off space opossums. They're stuck in permanent over-harvest so if they're not (or not able to be) actively steamrolling a neighbor they're losing the game. I hated playing the Zuul.

The Hivers had instant-teleportation between warp gates but had to slow-boat everywhere. They've been talked about recently so I won't. I'm a turtle so I really liked the Hivers, and they were practically guaranteed to get Mega Stripmining so any world I knew I couldn't hold I'd teleport a mining fleet to and reduce it to a useless 0 RP wasteland before the enemy could retake it. Then I'd dump all the stolen mineral loot onto my capitol like I was some sort of biological Von Neuman. :haw:

Everyone else got some variation on warp travel. The Tarka just had straight warp but made up for being consistent(ly slow) and boring by mounting all of their guns on the front so they could best match the Zuul in firepower.

The Liir traveled faster the farther the distance (not entirely accurate but close enough) so they could always get the latest technology to the front lines quickly but were poo poo at re-mobilizing for defense. They needed to get their top of the line ships ASAP because their ships were fragile as hell. The Liir were really good at pissing off the Hivers since you could send a respectable fleet somewhere close and then send a bigger fleet to hit somewhere farther back and have both arrive at the same time with the same amount of warning time.

And the Morrigi got the Flock Drive, which was slow as the slowest Liir speed in the early game but the bigger the doomstack they amassed the faster they could get it places. They were all about swarming things and had the best fighter drones to emphasize this, but that also meant they were somewhat tactically inflexible since you never really wanted to split your fleet.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
To add to that, I actually really liked the Zuul and they highlighted just how different empires were in SoTS. Everyone else is playing some sort of 4X calculated strategy game, but Zuul are playing deathmatch. Say in a four arm galaxy game with four people, by the time the three other empires were really solidfying their hold midway up their arm the Zuul were already bleeding their whole arm dry because they had to, because over-harvesting pretty quickly ruins planets. And their FTL fed well into that - their hyperlanes weren't just artificial they were also unstable. After a decent number of turns they'd just collapse, and honestly you rarely had a reason to remake them. Zuul were all about forward momentum.

The different FTLs in SOTS only worked because their respective empires were designed with them in mind. That doesn't fit well with Stellaris's focus on randomly generated and custom empires.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Morrigi were the best SotS race, filthy Children of the Dust go home

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Speaking of sucking, I see people saying all the time if you're outnumbered by the enemy, just siege their planets with multiple fleets instead of doomstacking. But I tried that, and the doomstack just beelines for my smaller fleets. Like are you supposed to just invade planets right away and not bombard defenses? That's what really killed me time-wise.

First, assess the situation. How far behind are you? You need to do this to determine your War Goals. You will have to use your current knowledge so if you are really unprepared, pick the cheapest possible option. I usually go for Destroy Frontier Outpost or Humiliate. If you can answer these questions with any certainty:

A) Are you near your fleet cap?
B) Are they 5k over you? 2k?
C) What techs are they using? What are you using?

Then you can decide if adding a planet or two is feasible. So now you have a goal: you will either fight for a draw or fight to win the war after a delaying action.

Next, send corvettes to scout the enemy empire. Your first target being the capitol because the fleet is usually based there (check diplo screen, the little planet near the bottom when the empire is selected will take you there). Send as many scouts as you can to find out where they have stations and fleets - your ideal targets are planets without stations. At this point you will also upgrade your fleet IF your tech differences are direct counters (i.e. you have missiles and they have a lot of PD). Upgrade all your ship designs. Time and money must be spent wisely: build as many of the biggest ship class you have available. Make sure to keep track of your energy if you don't have a good reserve. Then proceed to the next step.

If the enemy invades immediately, do not engage unless you can arrive at your system in time to hang out behind the planet (let the enemy fleet engage the station, then close range so you don't lose as many ships) and your space station adds enough firepower to almost even it out. This situation is unlikely as the AI won't declare war without a massive advantage so don't rely on it.

Now you send in the boys. Ideally each fleet is at least strong enough to take out a space station and a defense station. You need to have one fleet acting as a distraction. Make sure armies go with it in case the enemy fleet goes for your invasion fleet(s). It also helps if you try to run down their transports with a small fleet. If you can't spare an actual fleet, use like 5 corvettes to engage so the transports have to emergency FTL or the enemy has to send a fleet to bail them out. The AI will focus on rebuilding armies and retaking their own planets, during which time the Length of War will decrease and you can build up your fleet to reduce Relative Size of Fleet.

So now you occupy a couple enemy planets and hopefully your fleets are mostly intact (it's okay if you lost one). Depending on your previously defined goals, your next step is continue harassing or hole up in your empire and wait. If you can win the war, you move out when they try to recapture territory. Now this is when you target core systems as the enemy empire will have divided attention. You will replenish your fleet while their production dwindles. Once your fleet surpasses the enemy fleet, engage. Even if you take heavy losses, you can rebuild faster. You will win. If you hole up, you just wait and wait. And wait. Eventually a truce will be offered if you delayed them enough and you managed to keep the ship production going.

One crazy thing that works sometimes is to engage the enemy fleet right away if you're within 2k difference (only do this if your other neighbors are chill and your economy is good). You will get smashed but the enemy will lose almost as much, meaning you are now both fighting for a truce.

Fighting a war at a disadvantage is extremely difficult in Stellaris but if you pull it off, it is incredibly rewarding.

Source;
The Fart of War
3 DONG HORSE

e: added a bit about War Goals and heavily edited because I didn't realize my initial phone post was formatted so poorly and it triggered me

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 4, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Libluini posted:

There's also a mod allowing you to start without any FTL, and you not only have to research your first FTL, you have to first improve your STL-engines through research to get your FTL. I've tried it, and it's nuts: Thanks to the RNG my hyperdrive-race actually got sidetracked and we ended up developing warpdrives and hyperdrives roughly the same time, also most of my science ships were essentially trapped in neighboring systems until the decades-long journey back home for refits was over. (It would have been smarter to build new ones and put the scientists on them, but that of course would have destroyed the illusion of STL-travel. :v: )

Playing Stellaris without any FTL at all is like playing EUIV as one of the weakest possible nations with all potential sources of expansions tied up in defensive pacts and alliances with the most powerful ones: Boring as hell. You're just forced to sit there and leave the timer running for an eternity, since you explore new systems at a rate of maybe 1 every 10 years. If your first possible colony is more than one jump away, you basically face up to 50 years waiting time until you have FTL and can finally go over there to colonize.

In essence, playing Stellaris with STL is nuts. The novelty-value wears off pretty drat fast.

Yeah if someone was gonna do this it should probably make it so you need to do stuff in-system that would be actually fun. It could be interesting to research warp, then tech that gives you soldiers before colony ships. You should be doing stuff on your home world that leads up to it looking like it does when you start the game.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The pirate event would be a lot cooler if it was in system. Too bad there's no way to make the core system it's own map before you get FTL.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Meldonox posted:

I was reading an article about the upcoming patch making all FTL travel the same and it got me wondering, did the asymmetric mobility make things an unbalanced mess in.. what was it, Sword of the Stars? I haven't played a ton of either this or that so I'm not really familiar with how well or poorly it balanced out.
It's not a mess because while hyperlanes and gates and warp are not balanced, the package deal of the entire race us balanced with the package deals of the other races. I did a big ol' effort post here on what makes hivers work and why it's the opposite of how stellaris does species.

e: though, I could see warp maybe working as a devouring swarm style civic choice.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 4, 2017

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I was really hoping that devouring swarms would have some kind of overharvest mechanic like SotS's Hovers or Endless Space's Cravers.

Edit: Maybe they could steadily reduce the habitability rating of their planets until they're tomb world's?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did you mean Zuul? Hivers don't* overharvest.

*Well anyone can overharvest, but the Zuul are forced to.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm having trouble figuring out the right speed to expand at. I get overpowered by larger fleets from empires with more planets, but if I try to expand the same way, I start eating huge energy penalties. Not to mention that I can't seem to find worlds with more than 20% habitability anywhere near my home system. What can I do to keep up?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The early game economy can be tight. Avoid spending on things that don't have good returns or that you don't need right away. For example: avoid building mining stations on only 2 mineral asteroids, dont clear tile blockers until just before you need the space, don't upgrade any mines/power plants past level 1, avoid building basic mines/power plants if possible.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I would also get as much energy as possible from space before using pops on the planet to man power plants.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out the right speed to expand at. I get overpowered by larger fleets from empires with more planets, but if I try to expand the same way, I start eating huge energy penalties. Not to mention that I can't seem to find worlds with more than 20% habitability anywhere near my home system. What can I do to keep up?

Energy penalties? Are you going over your core planets limit?

Your main focus for early expansion should be frontier outposts, planets don't pay off until they're actually filled with pops. Slam those down as soon as your influence allows to keep expanding your economy without all the downsides of energy, tech and unity costs going up.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Also, if you want early game expansion through conquest, declare war with cede planets as your war goals on the first punk rear end militarists you see and let them throw their corvettes against your spaceport. once they do it once or twice you'll have the warscore to force your demands and get their mostly populated planets for free. plunk down a few defensive armies on those worlds and in a few years you'll have loads of happy citizens without spending much

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Don't be afraid to go over your core limit by one or two planets, but unless you're running a huge late game empire you don't want to go much more than that. Late game I usually sit at 16/9 or whatever while I get newly conquered planets ready to hand off to a sector, but that's not something you can do early on. Being one or two over usually isn't the end of the world though, but you'll want to put the extras into a sector when you can.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
To clarify, by energy penalties I mean negative income.

Also, I'm having trouble understanding why a civ with the same amount of planets as me can 2 fleets with almost 2k power, while I can muster one at 1400, and that's pushing 10 over my fleet limit. I'm upgrading my ships whenever possible, and focusing on weapon and defense techs. I get SLAUGHTERED in any war I fight.

I've had to restart 4 games today because I get declared on and get massacred, and the last 2 games I've been actively focusing on military to no avail.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 4, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Also, I'm having trouble understanding why a civ with the same amount of planets as me can 2 fleets with almost 2k power, while I can muster one at 1400, and that's pushing 10 over my fleet limit. I'm upgrading my ships whenever possible, and focusing on weapon and defense techs. I get SLAUGHTERED in any war I fight.

I've had to restart 4 games today because I get declared on and get massacred, and the last 2 games I've been actively focusing on military to no avail.

Because they're getting the next upgrade of power plants before you, and probably expanding faster in the early game which always pays off in a faster economy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Interesting thread on Paradxo forums shows some of the slow down may be UI related in some manner?

quote:

Game Settings
1,000 system galaxy
Year 2276
97% of systems within somebody's borders
All mods disabled

Test Data
Original player empire (120 Planets):
Galaxy view zoomed out: 11-13 FPS
Galaxy view zoomed in (showing fleets): 11-12 FPS
Galaxy view zoomed in (showing fleets + colonies/stations): 6-7 FPS
System view: 12 FPS
30 days pass in 58 seconds

Switching control to the largest AI empire (30 Planets):
Galaxy view zoomed out: 40 FPS
Galaxy view zoomed in (showing fleets): 38-40 FPS
Galaxy view zoomed in (showing fleets + colonies/stations): 24 FPS
System view: 44 FPS
30 days pass in 45 seconds

Switching control to a small AI empire (5 Planets):
Galaxy view zoomed out: 60 FPS
Galaxy view zoomed in (showing fleets): 60 FPS
Galaxy view zoomed in (showing fleets + colonies/stations): 60 FPS
System view: 60 FPS
30 days pass in 42 seconds

Summary
You can literally make the game run 25-30% faster by simply switching to a 5-colony sized AI empire.
If the CPU-related tasks in the background were the cause of the problem, then switching to a tiny empire should make the game run significantly slower because the AI now has to deal with managing a huge empire taking up most of the galaxy.

Johan posted:

I've read this and the team is aware of this.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

A small part of this is luck of the draw. If you happen to start in an especially poor position, or next to a Fanatic Purifier Advanced Start, welp, sucks to be your empire.

A larger part of this is that the early game of Stellaris is actually a fairly delicate (and, fun) balance between civilian and military needs. Military tech is great, but you also need the energy supply to sustain a good fleet and the mineral supply to build the fleet.

You'll get better at it with practice, I imagine all of us sucked at first.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

You'd think that would be the lowest-maintenance part

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My question is how they are able to maintain such a huge fleet. I'm not having trouble with them building fleets faster per se, but them just having that much MORE. How are they getting fleet cap that high, or is it that they build above it and just somehow bring in insane energy income?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They probably aren't. The AI IS willing to bankrupt itself to kill you.

Of course, you could check it out yourself. It'd have to be a non-Ironman game, but if it happens again, pause, use the 'Observe' and 'play x' commands in the console (On PC, you use the ` key to open it) to play as your opponent and see what he's doing.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 4, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are you building and levelling up spaceports?

E: ^^ also that, the AI prioritizes fleets to the point it will cripple its empire in the long run.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

My question is how they are able to maintain such a huge fleet. I'm not having trouble with them building fleets faster per se, but them just having that much MORE. How are they getting fleet cap that high, or is it that they build above it and just somehow bring in insane energy income?

They build well (2x or more) over their fleet cap (which is only a guideline). When they deploy, they use their energy reserves to support the fleet.

Negative income isn't inherently bad so long as you don't hit zero in the energy bank.

So if you think you will be going to war soon, build well over your fleet cap, and be prepared to spend your savings. Assume that some ships will get killed, which will ease the money drain.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It could be a lot of things. There are a lot of reasons another empire could have more resources or a larger fleet. Could be due to civics, or the right techs being researched earlier, or species bonuses to production. Without screenshots of what you're talking about all we can do is guess. What type of government are they? What are their ideologies? What does their species trait list look like?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Are you building spaceports on all your planets? That's the biggest contributor to naval capacity in the early game.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Are advanced starts on? Are they fanatic militarist? Devouring swarm?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I am building ports on all my systems (which is also weird, because theirs have something like 1.2-1.6x the power of mine), and they weren't advanced start, since they only had one planet when I encountered them initially?

I wasn't aware of the dynamic of building over fleet cap and hemorrhaging energy to fight a war, that might explain it.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Splicer posted:

Did you mean Zuul? Hivers don't* overharvest.

*Well anyone can overharvest, but the Zuul are forced to.

That's what I meant.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TGLT posted:

To add to that, I actually really liked the Zuul and they highlighted just how different empires were in SoTS. Everyone else is playing some sort of 4X calculated strategy game, but Zuul are playing deathmatch. Say in a four arm galaxy game with four people, by the time the three other empires were really solidfying their hold midway up their arm the Zuul were already bleeding their whole arm dry because they had to, because over-harvesting pretty quickly ruins planets. And their FTL fed well into that - their hyperlanes weren't just artificial they were also unstable. After a decent number of turns they'd just collapse, and honestly you rarely had a reason to remake them. Zuul were all about forward momentum.

The different FTLs in SOTS only worked because their respective empires were designed with them in mind. That doesn't fit well with Stellaris's focus on randomly generated and custom empires.

I adored playing as the Zuul and my personal disappointment with Stellaris is that the Devouring Swarm/Exterminators don't really match to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

I am building ports on all my systems (which is also weird, because theirs have something like 1.2-1.6x the power of mine), and they weren't advanced start, since they only had one planet when I encountered them initially?

I wasn't aware of the dynamic of building over fleet cap and hemorrhaging energy to fight a war, that might explain it.

I believe all AI will always overbuild once they have a human player neighbor and they definitely have no problem going over their fleet cap. Whenever you meet a neighboring empire, check the diplomatic screen and see what sort of empire they are, paying close attention to your diplo bonuses/malluses with them. Try to get a NAP with friendly empires ASAP and assume a hostile empire will eventually war dec you. The AI does seem to take into account defensive pacts when considering whether to attack you so may want to try and bribe a friendly empire early on and get one if you're considered about a hostile neighbor. I find that purifier/swarm/exterminator neighbors are ironically less of a threat than "normal" hostile empires because all other empires will see them as a universal threat.

My early game usually focuses on unlocking new ship classes (destroyers, cruisers, etc.) over new weapon tiers. Not only does this indirectly increase your fleet cap as it allows you to build higher tier spaceports (which themselves are more survivable), but bigger ship hulls tend to be more survivable than their smaller counterparts (for example, 2 base corvettes together have 75% of the hitpoints of 1 destroyer) and allow access to bigger guns which are vital for taking down enemy spaceports.

Generally, I find fighting an enemy with one higher weapon tier than me is much easier than fighting an enemy with a higher ship hull class than me. If you find yourself in a defensive war against a enemy with 1k or so more fleet power than you, don't forget about Defense Platforms. A properly placed Defense Platform with an FTL snare will place an enemy just inside the range of your spaceport. With the combined efforts of your fleet, spaceport, and defense station you can sometimes beat a larger enemy fleet.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 5, 2017

• Locked thread