Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I know the immature ether drake isn't THAT good but it's so satisfying when the little bugger shoots a beam of plasma death across a fleet battle :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Immature Ether Drake is great and a treasure, and I will have you speak no ill of it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

Yavin 4 was! :v:

I’m trying to remember if any of he skirmishes around Babylon 5 didn’t involve an allied fleet. I don’t actually think so.

Season 1 had a squadron of pirate raider fighters attacking the station.
End of season 2 had Babylon 5's defense grid popping a Centauri battlecruiser.
I think there was also one in season 5... that episode where the episode was told from the perspective of the two maintenance guys.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Vlonald Prump posted:

I think Distant Worlds had a decent solution where you could automate your fleet movements, but could specify rules of engagement. Like for example you could make a "Home Fleet" to set your homeworld's starbase as a home base, set it to Defensive, and set a patrol radius to 500 parsecs or whatever; this made it so if anyone warped into a nearby system and started shooting your stuff, fleets would react automatically and defend your mining station, planet, or whatever. You could set up attacking fleets the same way, which made fighting as a huge empire a lot less tedious. You could set up fleets to have a target and attitudes like "blow up everything you see" vs "go home if an enemy fleet actually shows up" and set a similar radius so they could burn down or just "raid" an area. Meanwhile, you could override automation for your main fleet or whatever you felt needed the personal attention.

The character system might be a neat way to implement this, maybe have the power to set RoE attached to appointing an admiral. Interacting with character traits might be fun, like maybe aggressive leaders would have a bit quicker reaction time when set to aggressive tactics? They'd have to be different kind of benefits, though, you wouldn't want to make the player get penalized for leader traits or it gets unfun, like if your fleet runs away from winnable fights because the admiral is Cowardly or something like that.

You'd have to make sure not to make the AI retarded, though, it would live or die as a feature based on that. Distant Worlds' automation AI was... OK at managing itself. A little bit frustrating occasionally, you had to babysit raiding fleets sometimes to make sure they didn't find their way into a hairy situation, but it did mean you could kind of leave them to do their own thing for a while while you microed another fleet somewhere else. I think it did improve the "Grand Strategy" aspect a lot and made it much easier to manage multifront wars. Stellaris already has the pop-up system though which could help with that, like you could get a message from your admiral saying "Yo Starfleet is this a good idea?" when their orders are setting them up to attack something with twice their firepower.

That sounds really cool, I dig it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

Immature Ether Drake is great and a treasure, and I will have you speak no ill of it.

I hope he can be upgraded with a jump drive in the next patch.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I hope he can be upgraded with a jump drive in the next patch.

He (and the Automated Dreadnought) can come with a jump drive if you do the event late enough. The upgrade behavior is weird for them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shugojin posted:

He (and the Automated Dreadnought) can come with a jump drive if you do the event late enough. The upgrade behavior is weird for them.

How does one upgrade an ether drake to a jump drive exactly anyways.

wrt slamming out habitat layouts by hand, they really do need to add hotkeys for all of the buildings so I can just select a tile and hit a button instead of click a million times. All of the buildings.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Something like those little carriages with wheels you give to crippled dogs, I'd imagine.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

wrt slamming out habitat layouts by hand, they really do need to add hotkeys for all of the buildings so I can just select a tile and hit a button instead of click a million times. All of the buildings.

So far you don't? I kind of preferred the original behavior where they had jump drives no matter what and you just had to wait to integrate them with the rest of your fleet.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Shugojin posted:

I know the immature ether drake isn't THAT good but it's so satisfying when the little bugger shoots a beam of plasma death across a fleet battle :kimchi:

"BWAAAAARGH!"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Huh. In my experience if I put a habitat in a sector I'd set for research, the sector AI would just automatically fill it with research buildings. I'd just build a zillion of them and never even look at the things (Past that first one).

Then again I usually play machines.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 4, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rectally.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

"BWAAAAARGH!"

Huh. In my experience if I put a habitat in a sector I'd set for research, the sector AI would just automatically fill it with research buildings. I'd just build a zillion of them and never even look at the things (Past that first one).

Then again I usually play machines.

I should build an energy sector for these I guess, but usually I like to max out my homeworld first so I have to manually build the drat things up.

I still want hotkeys. Hotkeys are good.

This is the answer I wanted thank you.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Did the latest story back add anything beyond robotic empires? They're neat and all but I would I'm in that awkward position where I want to play but I may want to hold out for the new update, to ensure I don't have another samey game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, my baby had a jump drive. What a wonderful little boy

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, I think they said the station, without any support, took out like 50 Dominion ships

I have to ask, what is the red text in your AV? I own a oneplus phone and it's the best I've ever owned. Apologies for nerd sperg movement type thread rage derail

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oneplus is super lovely with android updates, I'm sorry about your stolen identity. It's also an anroid that siphons all the data to china in addition to google.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Shugojin posted:

If you upgrade the rest of your fleet with Jump Drive, the Ether Drake should still stick with them. Mine had Wormhole Drive, but when I upgraded the rest of the fleet to Jump Drive he just stayed in the fleet and jumped with everybody else. FTL type seems to be majority rule.

Don't remove him from the fleet ever, though, you won't be able to add him back in.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there a mod for extended technologies anywhere that's patch-compatible?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

SkySteak posted:

Did the latest story back add anything beyond robotic empires? They're neat and all but I would I'm in that awkward position where I want to play but I may want to hold out for the new update, to ensure I don't have another samey game.

The machine uprising event (separate from the Contingency crisis), portraits for your robots, eight alternate voices for the advisor alerts, a robotic Fallen Empire with unique interactions, a galaxy populated with some Machine empires even if you don't play them, and also other stuff I forgot.

The new update is some ways away so I wouldn't hold out for it, but then again I'm obviously biased in recommending Synthetic Dawn.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 4, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

The machine uprising event (separate from the Contingency crisis), portraits for your robots, eight alternate voices for the advisor alerts, a robotic Fallen Empire with unique interactions, a galaxy populated with some Machine empires even if you don't play them, and also other stuff I forgot.

The new update is some ways away so I wouldn't hold out for it, but then again I'm obviously biased in recommending Synthetic Dawn.

The voicepacks are worth the price of admission alone, and machine empires are inherently cool. The Xenophobe voice appears to have been based on an average Leave voter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkySteak posted:

If you want some variety, More Events Mod and Leviathans Extended add some, uh, more events and leviathans.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Aethernet posted:

The voicepacks are worth the price of admission alone, and machine empires are inherently cool. The Xenophobe voice appears to have been based on an average Leave voter.

I love the Xenophobe's voice. It's the utter spite you can hear when he talks about aliens "Dirty xenos have invaded our land!"
So good :smug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

This doesn't have to be a joke.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=838444260

Based on an earlier mod called "Einstein was Right".

There's also a mod allowing you to start without any FTL, and you not only have to research your first FTL, you have to first improve your STL-engines through research to get your FTL. I've tried it, and it's nuts: Thanks to the RNG my hyperdrive-race actually got sidetracked and we ended up developing warpdrives and hyperdrives roughly the same time, also most of my science ships were essentially trapped in neighboring systems until the decades-long journey back home for refits was over. (It would have been smarter to build new ones and put the scientists on them, but that of course would have destroyed the illusion of STL-travel. :v: )

Playing Stellaris without any FTL at all is like playing EUIV as one of the weakest possible nations with all potential sources of expansions tied up in defensive pacts and alliances with the most powerful ones: Boring as hell. You're just forced to sit there and leave the timer running for an eternity, since you explore new systems at a rate of maybe 1 every 10 years. If your first possible colony is more than one jump away, you basically face up to 50 years waiting time until you have FTL and can finally go over there to colonize.

In essence, playing Stellaris with STL is nuts. The novelty-value wears off pretty drat fast.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What happened to that old extra alien pets mod? It's vanished.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

kaffo posted:

I love the Xenophobe's voice. It's the utter spite you can hear when he talks about aliens "Dirty xenos have invaded our land!"

My favorite part is when you do stuff like enlighten or uplift. "Xeno savages have been enlightened. Somewhat." :allears:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i think mercenaries would be rather nice, both for ships and armies. i want to hire something like the jedi order to fight for me, or anyone with laser swords.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kaffo posted:

Yeah the Xenophobe guy is a loving work of art. I find myself wanting to use him all the time.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

kaffo posted:

They're all really good, the militarist lady is so bloodthirsty, I love it

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
Quick question about Curators. When you pay 300 energy for the location of a leviathan, does another empire have to have discovered it first? For example, I'm on a large map and just spent energy to find out where the leviathans are, and only two are identified (one of which is the infinity sphere, which, I think, always spawns?). Does that mean there are only two leviathans?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

gowb posted:

They're all really good, the militarist lady is so bloodthirsty, I love it
I’ve come to favor the authoritarian one, he feels like a proper sinister vizier.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Quick question about Curators. When you pay 300 energy for the location of a leviathan, does another empire have to have discovered it first? For example, I'm on a large map and just spent energy to find out where the leviathans are, and only two are identified (one of which is the infinity sphere, which, I think, always spawns?). Does that mean there are only two leviathans?

Was this added recently? I didn't know you could pay them for the location of a Leviathan.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Nope, they know the location of everything as far as I know from the get go. The rate of Leviathan spawns seems to be way down. Getting three seems to be a rare occasion in my recent games, which is a shame.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Phone posting so no link but there's a always spawn mod for Leviathans and all the other galaxy uniques on the workshop

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

chaosapiant posted:

Been thinking of getting this game for quite a while but not sure. I played a little CK2 and couldn’t get into it, and that’s all the Paradox games I’ve played. I do enjoy a bit of Master of Orion, Galciv and Endless Space but this game looks much more complex. Is this a super fun engrossing game or a chore to play? Can someone sell me on this game?

Don't think this got answered, so Iet me advise you to go for it. It's less of a chore than GalCiv, but still has lots of customisation options for your civs. Lots of cool little stories and events add flavour and an element of unpredictability, and there's no one 'right' way to play, so you'll find your own way to enjoy it. It's way simpler to get to grips with than the other Paradox games I've played, and the tutorial hints do a really good job of easing you into it. I tried going back to GC3 after Stellaris and it was like going back to an old phone OS or something - too many little QoL improvements I'd got used to.

Hope that's some help. :)

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Nope, they know the location of everything as far as I know from the get go. The rate of Leviathan spawns seems to be way down. Getting three seems to be a rare occasion in my recent games, which is a shame.

Ah, that is disappointing. I've had the exact same problem - leviathans are one of my favourite additions to this game, yet I frequently (last 3 games I think) only get 2, despite increasing map size. Also, one of those is always the infinity machine. I will look into this mod.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LogisticEarth posted:

Wiz can we get a slider for this too?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, to get more than two I had to start with 2000 stars, and then it was exactly three appearing. :shepface:

Better to mod in a higher spawn-rate.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I was reading an article about the upcoming patch making all FTL travel the same and it got me wondering, did the asymmetric mobility make things an unbalanced mess in.. what was it, Sword of the Stars? I haven't played a ton of either this or that so I'm not really familiar with how well or poorly it balanced out.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I wish I could play on large galaxy settings past year 120 without my PC dying. Wiz, please fix :(

Medium sucks. 9 empires and 3 FE feels like nothing

Meldonox posted:

I was reading an article about the upcoming patch making all FTL travel the same and it got me wondering, did the asymmetric mobility make things an unbalanced mess in.. what was it, Sword of the Stars? I haven't played a ton of either this or that so I'm not really familiar with how well or poorly it balanced out.

The difference is SotS designed each faction specifically around their FTL whereas Stellaris is a lot more generalist in that any empire with any ethics/government combo can use any FTL types and everyone had access to the exact same tech at basically the same times

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fellblade posted:

While they said there is currently no plan for how to solve the problem, an obvious answer would be to de-couple the mega-engineering tech from the DLC (leaving the existing megastructures as DLC only) and have it only apply to gates or something.

Err so wait is the mega-engineering tech I need to fix a ring world I found a dlc only thing?

• Locked thread