Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

That's not really surprising. The social circles he struggled to be part of for decades also treated him with their lowest regards. The guy's a loving poo poo, and people knew this for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/1118921136866242560
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1118919698463248384

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It was always really notable that someone as ambitious and spotlight hungry and completely drawn to anything that could possibly increase his profile as reince bumped into the Trump administration and was spooked so badly that he just completely disappeared from anything to do with trump. Like yeah he was unceremoniously fired, but something spooked him enough that he just quietly disappeared off into the sunset

Reince is a grifter extraordinaire. Here in the Great State of Wisconsin, he set up a meeting between the heads of Foxconn and Governor Walker, which Walker would never have gotten a whiff of, otherwise. Guess who got to sell a whole bunch of land based on a suggested factory location? My boy Reince. Now that farmland has been razed, the highways are all built for nothing, and Foxconn has basically gone radio silent on the factory they pinky-swore they would build.

edit: Walker, not Ryan. He's another loving grifter, too many to keep straight right now.

Dielectric fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 18, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gotta protect those purple state Dems!:downsbravo:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

Their strategy of framing the narrative just horribly backfired. The report is honestly juicier than I thought it would be so far, and that's with a ton of redactions still.

Pages ago but I don't agree at all.

They successfully framed it for their base who will now stick their fingers in their ears and yell "NANANANANANANA". The framing wasn't for us, it was for the chuds. They were never going to be able to frame it in any kind of positive or neutral light for the left or really even moderates, they just needed to get the party line out to the base before the report dropped.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

That's not really surprising. The social circles he struggled to be part of for decades also treated him with their lowest regards. The guy's a loving poo poo, and people knew this for years.

My favorite example of this was him crashing a kids with AIDS charity event

quote:

In the fall of 1996, a charity called the Association to Benefit Children held a ribbon-cutting in Manhattan for a new nursery school serving children with AIDS. The bold-faced names took seats up front.

There was then-Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R) and former mayor David Dinkins (D). TV stars Frank and Kathie Lee Gifford, who were major donors. And there was a seat saved for Steven Fisher, a developer who had given generously to build the nursery.

Then, all of a sudden, there was Donald Trump.

“Nobody knew he was coming,” said Abigail Disney, another donor sitting on the dais. “There’s this kind of ruckus at the door, and I don’t know what was going on, and in comes Donald Trump. [He] just gets up on the podium and sits down.”

Trump was not a major donor. He was not a donor, period. He’d never given a dollar to the nursery or the Association to Benefit Children, according to Gretchen Buchenholz, the charity’s executive director then and now.

But now he was sitting in Fisher’s seat, next to Giuliani.

“Frank Gifford turned to me and said, ‘Why is he here?’ ” Buchenholz recalled recently. By then, the ceremony had begun. There was nothing to do.

“Just sing past it,” she recalled Gifford telling her.

So they warbled into the first song on the program, “This Little Light of Mine,” alongside Trump and a chorus of children — with a photographer snapping photos, and Trump looking for all the world like an honored donor to the cause.

Afterward, Disney and Buchenholz recalled, Trump left without offering an explanation. Or a donation. Fisher was stuck in the audience. The charity spent months trying to repair its relationship with him.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Not willing to look myself because I value my brain cells and don't want to kill them (unless it's with delicious, delicious alcohol): What is Fox News saying about the report?

Quick glance
"It doesn't actually say in exact words "Trump bad, must impeach" so it really doesn't say anything bad"

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1118922266291499009

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

SocketWrench posted:

Quick glance
"It doesn't actually say in exact words "Trump bad, must impeach" so it really doesn't say anything bad"

Even if it had they would have still said the same thing.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Astro7x posted:

Found a bombshell in here, always read the footnotes!

Sweeeeet glad SA forums got a mention

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TulliusCicero posted:

Man too dumb to understand he is possibly the most dumb man alive

Only the best genes....so best it's like royalty.....inbred for centuries

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This seems bad

https://twitter.com/RepKatieHill/status/1097906957216825344

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

This is the correct strategy for now, the next move is to get Muller to testify publicly and reverse the spin on the report.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1118923629822205953

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

So the Dems aren't going to do an impeachment, because they don't think they can get to 67 in the Senate.

But can we assume that there's enough here for the House judiciary and Intel committees to have big, juicy, public hearings about all the crimes for the next 18 months to derail the campaign for 2020?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cabbit posted:

Why does anyone defend this guy again?

"He says things that agree with my fantasy world view"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's now a matter of public record that Trump and his campaign were in bed with Russia--money, Trump towers, and hacking in exchange for polling data and giving Kremlin foreign policy a free hand. Among many other things. Mueller's strategy from the start seems to have been to really strongly suggest impeachment proceedings or ripping Trump apart as soon as he leaves office in the report, while holding fast to established precedent that the presidency is a four-year appointment to a kingship. That Mueller punts on his conclusion is absolutely wild.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can't believe that the fact that Trump ordered officials to do illegal actions isn't enough to get him charged. Who gives a gently caress if his cronies didn't follow the order! He made the order expecting it to be followed, you don't get off of ordering a hit because the hitman decided not to do it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hopefully the real takeaway from this is that "sending messages" like this doesn't loving work anymore. The people combing through this report for bombshells don't need to be convinced, and will never convince the people that are actively looking for someone to tell them the results they want to hear, regardless of reality.

Reports like this need to end with a single page of HE loving OBSTRUCTED EVERYTHING scrawled in red sharpie, and everyone reporting on it needs to be screaming HE loving OBSTRUCTED EVERYTHING if they want to serve the public interest, and I have no idea how many years of :decorum: slowly eroding that's going to take people to see.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Swish.

Catalyst-proof posted:

Most obvious thought: well of course they’re selling nuclear weapons to someone, probably the Saudis.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Me thinks the US's place on the corruption index will spike up a few places soon.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Wylie posted:

So the Dems aren't going to do an impeachment, because they don't think they can get to 67 in the Senate.

But can we assume that there's enough here for the House judiciary and Intel committees to have big, juicy, public hearings about all the crimes for the next 18 months to derail the campaign for 2020?

We don't know what they're planning because they haven't had time to fully digest the report and take first steps after that. It's a mistake for people to read that as a refusal to do anything.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Monaghan posted:

I can't believe that the fact that Trump ordered officials to do illegal actions isn't enough to get him charged. Who gives a gently caress if his cronies didn't follow the order! He made the order expecting it to be followed, you don't get off of ordering a hit because the hitman decided not to do it.

Yeah this is where I'm at. What difference does their insubordination make to his liability?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

:allbuttons: This is REALLY REALLY BAD

EDIT:

From a nonproliferation standpoint, this is one of the worse things that can happen. THe Saudis having nukes is almost guaranteeing a nuclear exchange in the middle east, and Iran is going to freak the gently caress out.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AhhYes posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at. What difference does their insubordination make to his liability?

Nothing, the reason he isn't being charged is because its DOJ policy that sitting president cannot be indicted.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I dunno what's funnier, watching them all applaud him showing off the report like humoring a toddler for being dumb, or them all applaud him for showing off some presidential order like humoring a toddler for being dumb

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Me thinks the US's place on the corruption index will spike up a few places soon.

the corruption index is a bullshit racialized justification of imperialism

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-73-western-medias-narrow-colonial-definition-of-corruption

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Does Mueller have the self awareness to understand how stupid it sounds for him to say it's impossible for him to establish if Trump/his cronies obstructed because his cronies obstructed so much?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Neo Rasa posted:

Does Mueller have the self awareness to understand how stupid it sounds for him to say it's impossible for him to establish if Trump/his cronies obstructed because his cronies obstructed so much?

Ahh, but you see obstruction requires intent to obstruct. Maybe they were just lying, destroying evidence, and stonewalling because they're just angry dicks.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

Ahh, but you see obstruction requires intent to obstruct. Maybe they were just lying, destroying evidence, and stonewalling because they're just angry dicks.

Funny enough destruction of evidence forms a presumption of guilt

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

We don't know what they're planning because they haven't had time to fully digest the report and take first steps after that. It's a mistake for people to read that as a refusal to do anything.

"Look, they've had whole minutes to read these hundreds of images! They're clearly capitulating again and are a waste! Have I told you what I think about things mattering in the last five minutes?!" - :smuggo:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:allbuttons: This is REALLY REALLY BAD

EDIT:

From a nonproliferation standpoint, this is one of the worse things that can happen. THe Saudis having nukes is almost guaranteeing a nuclear exchange in the middle east, and Iran is going to freak the gently caress out.

Just Pompeo and company doing their part to kickstart Armageddon so Jesus can come back and take them to white heaven.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah if you ever check the list both the united states and saudi arabia are far too high on the list (as in they're far more corrupt than the list would have you believe).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RandomBlue posted:

Just Pompeo and company doing their part to kickstart Armageddon so Jesus can come back take them to white heaven.

Unironically my first thought as well. Pence likely approves. For me this is the scariest thing they have done so far if they are actually doing it (they are)

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Jarmak posted:

This is the correct strategy for now, the next move is to get Muller to testify publicly and reverse the spin on the report.

The spin for who? The suburbanites who will sell out the rest of the country for a dollar off their mortgage payment? For the billionaires who believe the only real crimes are ones against their own personal property? Or the down-to-earth rural Americans who believe Nancy Pelosi is an immortal lizard person? Who are we persuading again?

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Who would the Saudis exchange with? Their hatred of Israel is mostly a show

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Wilhelm posted:

Iran

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

The glossary might be really interesting, since it lists names alphabetically and some are redacted for Harm to Ongoing Matter

might that be... Mulvaney??

Depends. What's the DOJ's style guide for where in an alphabetical list letters with umlauts fall?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Wilhelm posted:

They will nuke Iran. If Iran has anything close to a nuclear bomb they will use it as well. Then Isreal will use theirs... etc etc etc. SA is NOT responsible enough to not use nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

"Look, they've had whole minutes to read these hundreds of images! They're clearly capitulating again and are a waste! Have I told you what I think about things mattering in the last five minutes?!" - :smuggo:

Also at the same time they're absolutely obsessed with this report and view it as the solution to all their problems now and forever.