Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Panty Saluter posted:

Seems to me that without ballast even a steel tube frame would still be well under 3000 lbs, with the powertrain being the heaviest bit.

It adds up quick, and thanks to my poor reading comprehension the weight limit is 3,200 minus driver and fluid. The whole chassis is steel, there's no carbon tub to it. Firewall, floor, tubing is steel, and a fair bit of the body is aluminum and not carbon, as well. The big weight adder is the engine. You'd think it would be aluminum, but it's not, NASCAR mandates iron blocks. The rear end housings are stout as gently caress, but the transmissions and driveshaft are light. Inside, you have all the radio gear, in duplicate should one fail, and the ignition and electrical system (including the battery) all have redundant systems added.

You can see how beefy the cage is, also notice that they use steel boxed frame rails like a conventional framed street car uses.

These things are built like tanks, and as we saw with the crash that started this discussion, they have a good reason for building them this way.

They probably add 300 pounds of ballast (it's tungsten and not lead btw, tungsten is denser so you can put it in a smaller area), so you're looking at an all steel car with steel frame rails and an iron block actually weighing 2,800 to 2,900 pounds or so.

e- They also use steel wheels, and a wheel with inflated tire weighs 60 pounds each, so there's 240 pounds just in wheels and tires.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

it's tungsten and not lead btw, tungsten is denser so you can put it in a smaller area
And it's less likely to give the engineers lead poisoning. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR stuff.

Yeah, I'm well aware of how complicated and difficult high level oval racing is under the skin and that it's an art unto itself. I just find it incredibly boring to watch. Yes, there are lots of overtakes and battles and stuff but it's always the same sort of thing because the track is always the same shape - there aren't any complicated double-axis corners or s-bends or whatever. I can definitely understand why people would like it and the intricacies involved, though. I will look up nascar on road circuits because that sounds pretty hilarious.

That being said, I find almost all four wheeled circuit racing very boring because I'm too hooked on bikes now - far more overtakes, far more nuance, skill matters more than cars etc.

Both of these cars are made by companies which make motorcycles for some reason:

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....
Dream Car:

I wish I had a better photo, but I thought it would be weird to stand inside somebody's fenced yard and take a photo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, I'm well aware of how complicated and difficult high level oval racing is under the skin and that it's an art unto itself. I just find it incredibly boring to watch. Yes, there are lots of overtakes and battles and stuff but it's always the same sort of thing because the track is always the same shape - there aren't any complicated double-axis corners or s-bends or whatever. I can definitely understand why people would like it and the intricacies involved, though. I will look up nascar on road circuits because that sounds pretty hilarious.

All 3 of NASCAR's divisions run on various road courses and yeah, it's well worth the time to seek some of those out. They used to suck (or were hilarious) because for the longest time the drivers had no clue how to road race, but over the last 20 years or so the decline in Indycar within the United States has funneled the best drivers on the continent to NASCAR. So instead of the best tin top oval racers making it to the top division, you now just have a cross section of the best drivers of all types of racing making it here and a lot of them can flat out drive. The hottest young talent is a kid named Kyle Larson, and this year he got the overall win at the 24 Hours of Daytona. He's only like, 21 I think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

One of my childhood friends moved to Dubai with her husband a couple of years ago. They've just received their brand new special order Boxster GTS, which costs the same in Dubai as an Opel Insignia does here in Denmark. Being a photographer, of course she had to snap a perfectly gorgous shot of it:

(Click for slight embiggening)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 8, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

MustardFacial posted:

that's racecar building 101. build it underweight so you can put the ballast where it gives you the biggest advantage.

Or if you're Smokey Yunick, build the car underweight then petition the NIST to change the legal definition of a pound before the other teams catch on.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

NoWake posted:

Or if you're Smokey Yunick, build the car underweight then petition the NIST to change the legal definition of a pound before the other teams catch on.

Or build it 7/8s scale.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NoWake posted:

Smokey Yunick is just peak AI engineering.

quote:

After Yunick's death, his shop's contents were auctioned off, according to his wishes. He had witnessed his friend Don Garlits' difficulties developing and maintaining a museum and did not want either his family to be saddled with such a burden, or a "high roller" to gain control of his reputation. Instead, he preferred that his tools, equipment, cars, engines, and parts go to people who would use them, and before his death he undertook to restore as much of it as possible to working condition. The proceeds of the auction went to a foundation to fund innovations in motorsports.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MetaJew posted:

I know I'll never own a Singer, and whoever buys it will never drive it like Chris Harris, but lol at leather in the engine bay

I disagree. There is a guy local to me who owns the "Connecticut Car" and I know for a fact that he drives that thing everywhere and drives it hard. Guy also owns a black CGT and drives the poo poo out of it as well. :allears:

edit: Here is a lovely vertical video I filmed of the engine at idle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTt_7SXpKY

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 8, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Slavvy posted:

That being said, I find almost all four wheeled circuit racing very boring because I'm too hooked on bikes now - far more overtakes, far more nuance, skill matters more than cars etc.

Both of these cars are made by companies which make motorcycles for some reason:

What motorbike does Ariel make?

Bike racing is as boring as NASCAR oval racing IMO.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I will look up nascar on road circuits because that sounds pretty hilarious.

It's actually good racing, Watkins Glen is the best race of the season imo, and it's coming up on Aug 9.

Been to a few of the races there, and sitting in the stands outside of turn one is probably the best seat I've ever had at any race.

These are the turn one stands:

Here's a view from the stands, you can see the last turn going into the entire front stretch, down into turn one, then to the left going back up the hill into the S turn. It's good poo poo and I can't wait to get back for another race.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 8, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
NASCAR road races are great. Infineon and Watkins Glen are excellent tracks, Tube up some recent battles. Legendary stuff.

Slavvy posted:

I assume you know but it's because they use motorcycle engines. The cars are so light they don't impede the motor much more than a bike, and a stock donor bike is closer to race-tuned than a comparable car donor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure the Ariel Atom uses Honda K motors, which are in cars.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

It'll forever be Sears Point to me.

e: and it's apparently just Sonoma Raceway now anyway.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

leica posted:

It's actually good racing, Watkins Glen is the best race of the season imo, and it's coming up on Aug 9.

Been to a few of the races there, and sitting in the stands outside of turn one is probably the best seat I've ever had at any race.

These are the turn one stands:

Here's a view from the stands, you can see the last turn going into the entire front stretch, down into turn one, then to the left going back up the hill into the S turn. It's good poo poo and I can't wait to get back for another race.

if only they could start using the boot

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I just registered my father and I for a 3-day Formula racing school in September with Skip Barber (they're having a 40th anniversary sale - all 3-day race schools are 40% off until the 13th).

I am loving giddy. :getin:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dev null posted:

Or build it 7/8s scale.

It's actually not 7/8ths. It miiiiiiight be 31/32nds, but it was primarily massaged and smoothed out, trim removed, bumpers recessed, drip rails removed. It also had molded in spoilers on the roof and decklid. The revolutionary part of that car, and the reason it was banned, was the exotic (for the time) suspension setup and one of the earliest versions of a tube chassis.

Here's the car laid out on a grid with a stock '67 Chevelle for reference.

When I get home from work tonight I'll see if I can dig up pictures of the inside and underbody of the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The closest I've ever gotten to nascar is in Forza, and if that game is any kind of accurate representation of the cars then they're pretty great machines. They sound glorious, and once you get used to their weight you can sling them through corners pretty well too.

Nascar on Sonoma is great fun.. those curves on the back side are glorious when you hit them just right.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Richardanator posted:

Dream Car:

I wish I had a better photo, but I thought it would be weird to stand inside somebody's fenced yard and take a photo.

I saw a Samurai the other day with some awesome 90s graphics on the side that said "SickSpeed Wankel Special," but no amount of GoogleFu could dredge up any kind of information about that as a package, factory or not. I did find a few Wankel-swapped Samurais, so I would assume that's what I was looking at.

I kinda wanted it...

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

leica posted:

Pretty sure the Ariel Atom uses Honda K motors, which are in cars.

Huh, coulda sworn. I thought the base was a motorcycle and the up versions were car blocks, but that's incorrect, they're all car blocks.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

revdrkevind posted:

Huh, coulda sworn. I thought the base was a motorcycle and the up versions were car blocks, but that's incorrect, they're all car blocks.

Except for the highest-end model, which is a bespoke V8 made of two motorcycle engines frankensteined together at the crank.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 8, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Sigma X posted:

Except for the highest-end model, which is a bespoke V8 made of two motorcycle engines frankensteined together at the crank.

Ooooh, maybe I had it backwards. Got it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The Atom has different engines depending on if it is made for the American market or not, iirc.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

EightBit posted:

The Atom has different engines depending on if it is made for the American market or not, iirc.

Ariel UK offers a 245 BHP K20 (Honda) engine, or an upgraded supercharged K20 with either 310 or 350 BHP.

Ariel US offers a 230 HP K24 (Honda) engine, or an upgraded supercharged K24 with 365 HP.

The Ariel Atom 500 actually has a new Hartley engine. I originally thought it was the Hayabusa-derived engine, but it's actually a completely new, 3.0L v8.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

revdrkevind posted:

NASCAR road races are great. Infineon and Watkins Glen are excellent tracks, Tube up some recent battles. Legendary stuff.

I assume you know but it's because they use motorcycle engines. The cars are so light they don't impede the motor much more than a bike, and a stock donor bike is closer to race-tuned than a comparable car donor.

Pretty sure the Xbow uses the 2l turbo from a VW GTI.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

revdrkevind posted:

Again, what the gently caress does Ariel have to do with bikes?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

drgitlin posted:

They make the Ace:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that a v4? UGHHHH THE SOUND THEY MAKE.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

It's actually not 7/8ths. It miiiiiiight be 31/32nds, but it was primarily massaged and smoothed out, trim removed, bumpers recessed, drip rails removed. It also had molded in spoilers on the roof and decklid. The revolutionary part of that car, and the reason it was banned, was the exotic (for the time) suspension setup and one of the earliest versions of a tube chassis.

Here's the car laid out on a grid with a stock '67 Chevelle for reference.

When I get home from work tonight I'll see if I can dig up pictures of the inside and underbody of the car.

Tom Walkinshaw did this too. Lots of info in this thread: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=42&t=1023573&i=20&mid=0&nmt=Engineered+rule+bending but

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

They make the Ace:

Good to know. I'm positive the cars came first though.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that a v4? UGHHHH THE SOUND THEY MAKE.

Isn't really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeeuaETDlKA

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A pretty rad combination of vehicles parked outside the shop near my apartment:

Not pictured: the Lamborghini Espada parked around the corner.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Lol at the ugly black plastic around the number plate on the DB9.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

MustardFacial posted:

Pretty sure the Xbow uses the 2l turbo from a VW GTI.

Son of a bitch. Yes, apparently they use Audi engines.

Just to demonstrate that I'm not crazy the Radical SR-series, the Morgan 3-wheeler, and the v8 Atom do in fact use motorcycle engines, as well as a few Caterhams.

drgitlin posted:

Good to know. I'm positive the cars came first though.

Correct, the current "Arial" company just uses the name of the old bike maker.

And apparently they have a new buggy called the Nomad.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Here's a Opel Commodore a guy built to a local club race series:

First engine:

New engine:

Build gallery: http://racecommo.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Racecommo/

Two in-car videos from last weekend:

Race 1: The driver complained that tyres started to melt after five laps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjd71q2DMvk

Race 2: An action packed start, but then the front diffuser comes loose and the car is eventually flagged out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6RnNs-N_S0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That's too bad. The RSV4 is the best sounding bike currently made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3sBD6X7ksw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KKKLIP ART posted:

Pretty sure if I was gently caress you rich I would get a Singer.

If I were gently caress you rich I'd get a Singer then send it over to Japan to Rauh Welt just so I could make all the purists cry. :colbert:

:ssh: it would be a lovely 911 painted up like the Singer in all the photos, I'd keep the Singer as is because I'm not a loving idiot

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

drgitlin posted:

A hell of a lot, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

A hell of a lot, actually.

Ariel the car company that makes Atoms was set up by a lecturer from Coventry and one of his students in 1999 to build the Atom. The motorbike came about last year: http://www.intosomerset.co.uk/case-studies/ariel-motor-company-case-study.htm