Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

yamdankee posted:

Every time it pops my go to strat is to furiously mash the X and + buttons to skip the stupid cut scene I've watched 100 times.

Wait... you can skip that?

Also, I'm breaking my rule cause I need help. I have no idea how I'm supposed to catch dragonflies. Warm Darner, cold darner, electric darner. They just fly away instantly as soon as I approach them and I can't catch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Ularg posted:

Also, I'm breaking my rule cause I need help. I have no idea how I'm supposed to catch dragonflies. Warm Darner, cold darner, electric darner. They just fly away instantly as soon as I approach them and I can't catch them.
Any stealth up items and crouching before you disturb them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to sneak up on them. Crouch down, or use the sheikah clothes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ularg posted:

Hint: Kakariko Village

Solution: Buy the stealth suit. Run (Not sprint) to them for easy catching. Same with lizards and fairies and just about everything that's easily scared

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

easy solution, drop it near an unarmed mob and then kill them and see if it happens again :v:

Still nothing. Maybe it's only undamaged ones or something. I feel like I'm going crazy but I'm certain I didn't imagine it as I zapped a bokoblin with electricity on a Lizal Boomerang.

Unless it's something to do with getting hit by lightning arrows while wearing the rubber armor instead.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thatguy posted:

Are there any cutscenes that you can trigger directly after saving and loading? If there are I think you could screw up the game pretty spectacularly.

There's probably something fucky you could do involving "Hitting eventide during the paragliding distance contest", since that seemed to freak the game out some

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

There's probably something fucky you could do involving "Hitting eventide during the paragliding distance contest", since that seemed to freak the game out some
Na, if you save while gliding you just load from wherever you originally jumped. You also can't save on the island. You need to actually be able to load into a cutscene.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can save on a raft. That's what I did when I went to eventide. I saved in the raft and then stepped off to do the trial.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

You can save on a raft. That's what I did when I went to eventide. I saved in the raft and then stepped off to do the trial.
So when you load the game does the raft disappear from under you and start the cutscene? If you have to actually walk off the raft or walk anywhere after loading it wouldn't work.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

Unfortunately, like gliding, saving on a raft when it's actually in the water appears to set you back on the nearest island.

I also remember doing a save on a raft just before eventide (after the first eventide death reset me back to the autosave outside of the Major Combat shrine), but reloading that save put me on a rock outside of the "equipment removal" area.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thatguy posted:

So when you load the game does the raft disappear from under you and start the cutscene? If you have to actually walk off the raft or walk anywhere after loading it wouldn't work.

I'm trying to think of any situation that would let you load directly into a cutscene, but loading a save always seems to set you back onto solid ground with 0 momentum. Maybe if you could find the exact boundary of a cutscene trigger, you could bomb yourself into the bounds of it and save before you touch the ground? Do cutscenes trigger when you're ragdolling? Maybe drop into the bounds using one of those double-cart exploits so that you're not "on the ground" to trigger it? The fact that I skipped most of Sidon's triggers imply that you have to be either on the ground or very close to it or I'd have hit them parasailing over the river...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ularg posted:

Yeah, it requires you to press X, then +. Pressing X displays the prompt in the lower right saying "Press + to skip," but no other button or input will display the message and pressing + by itself won't do anything unless the prompt is up. It's really, really stupid.

Nendil
Apr 4, 2005

3D movies are the dumbest fad since pull-ups.

Icedude posted:

Still nothing. Maybe it's only undamaged ones or something. I feel like I'm going crazy but I'm certain I didn't imagine it as I zapped a bokoblin with electricity on a Lizal Boomerang.

Lightning swords are only "live" with electricity during and shortly after being used to attack (including being thrown), so maybe you caught it on the tail end of a swing from the enemy?

(Source: I spent way too long brute-forcing an electrical-engineering shrine with a thunderblade)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

I'm trying to think of any situation that would let you load directly into a cutscene, but loading a save always seems to set you back onto solid ground with 0 momentum. Maybe if you could find the exact boundary of a cutscene trigger, you could bomb yourself into the bounds of it and save before you touch the ground? Do cutscenes trigger when you're ragdolling? Maybe drop into the bounds using one of those double-cart exploits so that you're not "on the ground" to trigger it? The fact that I skipped most of Sidon's triggers imply that you have to be either on the ground or very close to it or I'd have hit them parasailing over the river...

The boundary is the dry ground /beach. I believe you can stand in the water and save.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

frodnonnag posted:

The boundary is the dry ground /beach. I believe you can stand in the water and save.

Eventide's not a cutscene per se anyways, I mean in general.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I FINALLY got the drat demon carver for my compendium. I've been running on foot from stable to stable trying to get a Higa idiot carrying the weapon to attack me.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So my friend pointed out something is missing from this:

https://mrcheeze.github.io/botw-object-map/

The Stealthfin Trout. Is there any way to contact the guy who made it and ask him to add those in?

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

The Lobster posted:

The Stealthfin Trout. Is there any way to contact the guy who made it and ask him to add those in?

Fish are generally generated dynamically. The map only lists things that have static spawning points. I would imagine the map contains every such datapoint in the game as it appears to be dumped directly from the game files.

Eriic fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 17, 2017

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

The Lobster posted:

I can tell you where they are

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

I am proposing a new race.

Hia Miu (Icefall foothills) to Muwo Jeem (on Cape Cales)
- Only the climbing set and Rito sets allowed.
- No stamina potion chugging or speed boosts
- No horses
(snow boots, paraglider and shield surfing are fine)

I'm about to attempt my first run.

Edit: In case anyone else is trying this, I set waypoints at the western Hebra North Summit, Talonto Peak, Lindor's Brow, Dueling Peaks north, and the end point.

MustelaFuro fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 17, 2017

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

The Lobster posted:

i also can't find any giant boomerang spawns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MustelaFuro posted:

I FINALLY got the drat demon carver for my compendium. I've been running on foot from stable to stable trying to get a Higa idiot carrying the weapon to attack me.

Should have just bought the picture.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

frodnonnag posted:

i also can't find any giant boomerang spawns.
Look under Treasure Chests. I don't think those spawn normally.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
All of the Stalnoxes have static weapon drops, and I know for a fact the Stalnox in Hickaly Woods always spawns with a Giant Boomerang embedded in him. You'll have to kill him to take it, but that shouldn't be too hard. He also spawns with a Thunderblade. :science:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

MustelaFuro posted:

I can tell you where they are

I know where they are. I just thought they had been left off the map by mistake.

Eriic posted:

Fish are generally generated dynamically. The map only lists things that have static spawning points. I would imagine the map contains every such datapoint in the game as it appears to be dumped directly from the game files.

But if this is true then I guess not.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think I just found the most obscure, roundabout Korok ever.

Northeast of Serenne Stable, there's a destroyed house with three sections of broken down fence in front of it in a straight line. The Korok appears if you jump all three fences on your horse.

I actually figured that one out on my own just as I was about to seek help from the internet.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hint: Kakariko Village

Solution: Buy the stealth suit. Run (Not sprint) to them for easy catching. Same with lizards and fairies and just about everything that's easily scared

Thanks guys, you're all awesome.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

HOLY gently caress! That was pretty intense at times. 28:37.12

That was awesome because the last stretch has a troupe of bokoblins chasing me. I also had a close call with a guardian. Overall, this race is way more treacherous than the other one due to all of the enemies you have to run past.

Edit: I'm retracing my route because I ran past 3 korok puzzles I didn't know about, and I didn't even realize I ran right past a hynox. At one point I was running with deer, which was pretty epic.

MustelaFuro fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 17, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ularg posted:

Thanks guys, you're all awesome.

Aye you should be mostly using Sheikah Suit unless environmental reasons dictate otherwise. It was the very first thing I bought early on and I had so many drat sunset flies, butterflies, whatever

It may be obvious but elixir/potion effects stack with armor, up to a max of 3 "levels" I. e. Each Sheikah piece is a level of stealthing, if you had 2 pieces and drank a lvl1 stealth pot you'd be at 3 (max) but if you had all 3 pieces and drank a stealth pot it would do nothing since you already got your lvl3 stealth from armor

Just want to make sure you don't waste stealth pots trying to be extra sneaky when you have a full suit on since it does nothing. I learned that the hard way wasting a lot of 3-attack elixers while wearing Barbarian clothes.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 18, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Likewise when you have the ninja getup you can farm sunset fireflies in Kakariko/nightshade at the nearby fairy fountain to make stealth potions which earn beaucoup rupees. You never have to leave Kakariko to become a millionaire in this game.

The ninja outfit is the best thing to wear all the time unless you're in freezing areas or Mordor.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The ninja outfit is the best thing to wear all the time unless you're in freezing areas or Mordor.

Half the reason I did that cooking poo poo was so I could just throw on half-hour duration flame/frost resistant potions and keep the ninja outfit on. :getin:

(The half-hour duration max run speed stuff is just a bonus.)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Likewise when you have the ninja getup you can farm sunset fireflies in Kakariko/nightshade at the nearby fairy fountain to make stealth potions which earn beaucoup rupees. You never have to leave Kakariko to become a millionaire in this game.

Tell me more about these stealth potions...how much are they worth?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

weird Asian candy posted:

Tell me more about these stealth potions...how much are they worth?

Sunset Firefly + 4x Moblin Fang (you have so loving many of them and barely use any at all, I had like 300+ at the end) gives 140 Rupees. Not too shabby but don't all your Sunset Flies until you upgrade Sheikah armor to lvl2 (3?) since you need some to upgrade.

Not the quickest way to get money, but a pretty fair non-cheesey and easy way. Especially early on.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Xaris posted:

Sunset Firefly + 4x Moblin Fang (you have so loving many of them and barely use any at all, I had like 300+ at the end) gives 140 Rupees. Not too shabby but don't all your Sunset Flies until you upgrade Sheikah armor to lvl2 (3?) since you need some to upgrade.

Awesome, thank you! This is going to be helpful!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I used the quest where you can't step on the flowers to test all the different ideas for loading into a cutscene. Basically if you save in mid-air it just puts you on the ground where you were last. I tried flying a cart, a raft, climbing on fallen trees, climbing on boxes. Nothing worked. The only thing I wasn't able to test was saving right after you jump off a horse. I know that this will load you behind the horse because that's how people were able to clip through walls. Unfortunately I don't know how to get my horse near the flowers because they're on an island surrounded by water.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thatguy posted:

I used the quest where you can't step on the flowers to test all the different ideas for loading into a cutscene. Basically if you save in mid-air it just puts you on the ground where you were last. I tried flying a cart, a raft, climbing on fallen trees, climbing on boxes. Nothing worked. The only thing I wasn't able to test was saving right after you jump off a horse. I know that this will load you behind the horse because that's how people were able to clip through walls. Unfortunately I don't know how to get my horse near the flowers because they're on an island surrounded by water.

I tried a couple methods of getting my horse onto a raft with the intent of using it to clip through the world boundary on the east side. So far, no luck-- it seems that as far as your horse is concerned, a raft is just a giant impassible block. You can't even put it on the other side of a jumpable barrier and trick your horse into jumping on it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Can you get a horse ontop of a mine cart, block, or giant metal pad and then use magnesis? seems like there's all kind of crazy ways to break things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Xaris posted:

Can you get a horse ontop of a mine cart, block, or giant metal pad and then use magnesis? seems like there's all kind of crazy ways to break things.

I saw a video in this thread where the player raised up a horse on some platform using Octorok balloons, forgot what kind of platform it was though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I saw a video in this thread where the player raised up a horse on some platform using Octorok balloons, forgot what kind of platform it was though.

It was a big metal door. I don't know where to find them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Xaris posted:

Horses will apparently walk on iron doors (FldObj_BoardIron_A_01 if you're following along at home), but spook off of them when you move them.

e: also it appears that they'll clip down through them when you start moving it as well, at least with magnesis.

e2: I don't remember this part of Up.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 18, 2017