Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
This happens every graphics card generation lol, when they announced the 30 series card I used that to get a great deal on a 2060 Super. When they announce the 3080TI or whatever it's going to be stupid easy to get a 3080. It's not like the performance boost is going to make me not trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Godholio posted:

It's been like 6 years but I'm still disappointed that ASICs didn't derail this nonsense.

Bitcoins are ASICs - some of the other coins like Eth are profitable on 3XXX cards when they are going for $1600+ and price of electricity is low.

Also, the year low on Eth is like $90 so you can see why some idiots are throwing GPU cycles at it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Installing a fresh OS on my new system took less than 6 minutes, from plugging in the bootable USB to desktop.

:stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Welcome to the future

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Lesson learned last year: Activate the XMP profile in your BIOS, you dingus.

:shobon:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Every time I turn on child labor in Frostpunk, I think of the chinese restaurant owner on South Park screaming "CHILD LABOR FORCE!!!" at the top of his lungs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jG6CSr8-ag

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Extremely important Frostpunk A New Home tip: eventually you will find an American settlement in the area, which can provide you with an outpost. This outpost is for Steam Cores. This is extremely valuable, but the outpost (at least back when I was playing the first time) was bugged, and an outpost team redeployed to it will not produce anything. To avoid that, wait until you get on the trail of the Americans to set up your second outpost team and send them straight to the Steam Core outpost from New London when you find it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

Extremely important Frostpunk A New Home tip: eventually you will find an American settlement in the area, which can provide you with an outpost. This outpost is for Steam Cores. This is extremely valuable, but the outpost (at least back when I was playing the first time) was bugged, and an outpost team redeployed to it will not produce anything. To avoid that, wait until you get on the trail of the Americans to set up your second outpost team and send them straight to the Steam Core outpost from New London when you find it.

Ayup, got that very same bug, and it turned my thus far most well-planned and smoothly-running playthrough into a constant heart-attack/nailbiter:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Finally ended up picking up Frostpunk again since deciding in March that I wasn't in a "good enough mental state" to play it, because goddamn, it is ever so rough emotionally.
The scenarios, events, and imagery really make you empathize with your survivors, but then the game all but forces you to compound their misery and hardship as a necessary evil.

Played about 18 hours of it over what was essentially a four-day weekend since Thursday, and ended up beating it without sacrificing too much of my humanity.

I think the key to my "success" was to start with two workshops right off the bat and get research rolling WAY before securing a steady resource and food income (which was, apparently, my mistake on the first run that ended on day 17).
This game constantly gives you "oh my sweet summer child" moments, because you keep telling yourself "things will get better if we get through just this one more set of rough days" despite seeing a clear trend that conditions will keep going downhill.

At some point, I think I actually laughed out loud at myself when I made it through a 3-day dip to -60°C, thinking it was smooth sailing ahead due to my finally secured food and coal income, and then another loving 30 degree drop pops up on the forecast bar.

Towards the end of the game, poo poo got reeeeally frantic again due to an unfortunate bug. As I started to hit the phase where you notice that poo poo is going to get really bad and you need to start stockpiling right the gently caress now, I figured I'd be fine with just moving my resource outpost team to a location on the map that would supply 1 steam core per day (so I could build 5 automata to crew the coal/steel/wood facilities on my non-heated outskirts, which would free up enough coal flow to keep my generator running at max without depleting my reserves).

Turns out that location was bugged, and I get ZERO cores per day and oh god, now I need to build steam hubs in those locations to keep the workers from freezing to death, oh god they need to work emergency shifts with foremen AND I need charcoal kilns to produce enough coal to keep the generator running full-time on max level, oh god the mining facilities are not insulated well enough so they still get sick despite steam hubs oh god I don't have enough infirmary capacity to deal with the amount of gravely ill from the cold OH GOD, MY KILNS DEPLETED MY WOOD SUPPLY I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO BUILD MORE MEDICAL OUTPOSTS I NEED TO BURN RATIONS FOR FOREMEN ON MY WOOD FACILITIES OH GOD NOW MY FOOD RATIONS WON'T LAST THROUGH THE STORM OH GOD WHY ARE THEY RAIDING THE WOOD STOCKS BANISH THOSE FUCKERS, OH GOD SOME OF THE BANISHED WERE ENGINEERS AND NOW MY INFIRMARY IS UNDERSTAFFED I NEED TO MOVE ONE OF MY AUTOMATA OH GOD CAN THE AUTOMATA PLEASE STOP CRIPPLING WORKERS MY FACTORY IS OUTSIDE THE HEATED ZONE AND I CAN NO LONGER BUILD PROSTHETICS, OH GOD I CAN'T RAISE HOPE WITH THE PROPAGANDA CENTER BECAUSE THE WOOD STOCKS ARE DEPLETED AGAIN WHY IS IT STILL loving GETTING COLDER, STOP ABANDONING YOUR WORK PLACES DEAR JESUS MY GENERATOR IS AT 95% PRESSURE FROM OVERDRIVE OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Holy poo poo, that may have been the most mentally exhausting finish to a game because of one dumb bug. Mind you, the game would still have been decently hard without it, but yeeeeeesh.

Overall, really well-done game, 8/10 would age 10 years in 18 hours again

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ain't no death spiral like a Frostpunk death spiral

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh, so Control takes place in the same universe as Alan Wake. Neat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Working on endurance mode now on medium and still getting my rear end handed to me. Made it through the second storm a little bit ago, but haven't found any refugees and I'm running out of engineers. Scraped together the resources for two automatons that are working coal. Down to 72 people, which is an improvement over the last time I made it this far, where I dropped below 40 people. drat dreadnoughts keep claiming scouts so I've written off doing those unless I know they have the supplies already. I don't think the group I have now will make day 50.

I usually start with two workshops, then 8 tents and a medical post while everyone picks resources off the ground, immediately research faster collecting, then beacon, then steelworks, sawmills and the coal thumper before pushing on to the next level of poo poo. Heat always wait until a -50 day and I panic research it.

Should I be making a break for the house of healing really early with laws? Usually don't get around to it until I'm double digits in days.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

it doesn't require engineers even if the healing time is a bit slower

a very worthwhile tradeoff imo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I keep lagging on that side of laws, usually just making people miserable with soup, but eventually giving them moonshine. Pretty much starting with child labor now all the time. They just don't seem as effective as apprentices of either form.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i'll generally do safe jobs and apprentices yeah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Realistically though only one or two children will get stomped to death by robots in a playthrough. They’re pretty resilient otherwise.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Huh, so Control takes place in the same universe as Alan Wake. Neat.

Yeah one of the office documents you can find is a report of an agent that investigated the mess that Alan Wake made

The documents in Control are really good and actually worth looking around for, unlike most game collectables

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah one of the office documents you can find is a report of an agent that investigated the mess that Alan Wake made

The documents in Control are really good and actually worth looking around for, unlike most game collectables

You have to go a little bit off the beaten path but the typewriter itself is in the Panopticon.

I have to get back to that game, I played it around when it came out but haven't done any of the DLC and restarted to that effect.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Patware posted:

You have to go a little bit off the beaten path but the typewriter itself is in the Panopticon.

I have to get back to that game, I played it around when it came out but haven't done any of the DLC and restarted to that effect.

My understanding was that the DLC didn't really expand on the main games plot, just did little side plots that (while I'm sure they're cool) had nothing to do with the main character or her brother. But I also could have misunderstood. Either way Control is a loving great game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The first wall, the second, the third, the fourth wall, the fifth wall...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The first wall, the second, the third, the fourth wall, the fifth wall...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

My understanding was that the DLC didn't really expand on the main games plot, just did little side plots that (while I'm sure they're cool) had nothing to do with the main character or her brother. But I also could have misunderstood. Either way Control is a loving great game.

well one of the DLCs is secretly Alan Wake 2 and honestly the story of the Faddens is the least interesting part of Control

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Patware posted:

well one of the DLCs is secretly Alan Wake 2 and honestly the story of the Faddens is the least interesting part of Control

Eh not to me. But to each their own!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Internet Wizard posted:

Agree, I actually enjoyed reading them. Having them presented and formatted as govt memos really helped sell it. Much better than hard to read text files in other games with lazy lore presentation.

Control and Horizon Zero Dawn are my two favorite new games played in the last year. (Yes I know they were out well before that, but I didn't get to them then.)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPRwLlpdTU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Working on endurance mode now on medium and still getting my rear end handed to me. Made it through the second storm a little bit ago, but haven't found any refugees and I'm running out of engineers. Scraped together the resources for two automatons that are working coal. Down to 72 people, which is an improvement over the last time I made it this far, where I dropped below 40 people. drat dreadnoughts keep claiming scouts so I've written off doing those unless I know they have the supplies already. I don't think the group I have now will make day 50.

I usually start with two workshops, then 8 tents and a medical post while everyone picks resources off the ground, immediately research faster collecting, then beacon, then steelworks, sawmills and the coal thumper before pushing on to the next level of poo poo. Heat always wait until a -50 day and I panic research it.

Should I be making a break for the house of healing really early with laws? Usually don't get around to it until I'm double digits in days.

I always burn hard for the Infirmary before the first storm. I like playing on Builders, of course, where there's no functional difference between tents and bunkhouses in a storm until you get the generator built, and with no heat I have many more casualties. But in general, the Infirmary is going to be better insulated than most of the other buildings that early in the game, so it helps stopgap the heat problem as well as putting a big dent in the "everyone is dying of sickness" problem. If you're having serious losses to death, then getting out in front of that is going to greatly improve your everything else, and that requires better healthcare.

Finding people is really just a matter of knowing which Frostlands events give people and making sure you snag them. Circle of Stones, Blue Dunes, Ruined Warehouse with a smoke plume, ones like that -- generally speaking you're looking for smoke, light, and/or movement in your location descriptions. Definitely don't touch the Dreadnoughts unless you can afford to explore them safely, though I'm surprised you're even getting them that early. Your initial research-construction pattern looks good to me, though consider going Coal Mine instead of Coal Thumper, because while it uses a Steam Core and is initially less productive, the Coal Mine also uses a third of the staff to run optimally, which can be important if you're having trouble getting population going. It's also worth noting that new population from any events that aren't Overcrowded Shelter are basically all going to show up in need of medical care to some extent, so again, healthcare important.

I actually like Order for laws myself, but that's because of the raw power of Foreman and Guard Patrol, both of which rely on you having spare food to run them. Faith is definitely better if you're having healthcare problems, and the House of Healing is definitely an option if you don't have the cores or Engineers for Infirmaries. I also always go Medic Apprentices -- healthcare as mentioned is a lynchpin, and compared to the other options, you'll always be able to make use of more efficiency on your medical system.

To sum: if you're having people problems would recommend ensuring the Infirmary or HoH before the first storm, and don't put your population at risk if you can avoid it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Micromanaged the poo poo out of my people and saved at day 85 before lunch. It seems micromanaging is the actual secret to the game, and luck.

I go coal thumpers because I want two hothouses as fast as possible. Also started off with gathering posts this time around, usually just put people out into the piles, made it easy to park a thumper right next to them. Gathering posts free up bodies for my hunter houses initially. poo poo, I still have 3 hunter houses in my current run, even with two industrial hothouses.

Everything is researched now, resources are being run by automatons, furnace on full blast. Just waiting to get hosed by a random event.

I put 2 medical posts up on day 2 and just floated engineers between the second post and the second workshop. Worked really well to get a foothold before building the house of healing.

E: up to day 133 so I'm calling medium endurance beat. Everything is full and automatons run absolutely everything. Gonna skip hard and go to extreme next.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 11, 2021

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh poo poo

i guess someone did a fan port for simcopter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbf9cEWZZZs

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

stardew 1.5 out on switch

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I got Control on a recent Steam sale, figured I'd probably like since I really dug Alan Wake.

This game is so loving cool. I love Remedy :finland:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

This game is so loving cool. I love Remedy :finland:

It is. And the Janitor is ace.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Woke up at 2am to my xbone power brick screaming bloody goddamn murder, so I beat the poo poo out of it. Full out fans screaming at full power even though the xbone was off. The cricket bat is gonna get some whacks in on it later.

That was the fourth power supply it's gone through, lasted less than 3 months, two weeks past the amazon return window. I've never found a microsoft branded one either, all third party chinese poo poo that might last a week or a year.

I've ordered yet another different brand power supply this time and it better loving last until I can find a series S at the regular price. So naturally, sometime next week I'll be chucking the new one into the street when it fails too. Then repackaging and sending back to amazon.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh poo poo

i guess someone did a fan port for simcopter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbf9cEWZZZs

Oh my god yes

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Me, a few years ago: Factorio looks dumb as hell, I don't want to play it.

Me, this weekend after playing the demo, buying it, and then spending 15 hours playing the tutorial: Well, turns out the loving idiot was me all along.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Me, a few years ago: Factorio looks dumb as hell, I don't want to play it.

Me, this weekend after playing the demo, buying it, and then spending 15 hours playing the tutorial: Well, turns out the loving idiot was me all along.

at my peak i was playing 40 hours a week of this loving game.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

ElMaligno posted:

at my peak i was playing 40 hours a week of this loving game.

drat son - that's some serious play time(checks PUBG logs) I should probably stop talking now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Same goes for me with world tanks.

I look at Stardew Valley with idk 500 hours played, or Skyrim with like 350, and then pretend that's a lot while furiously trying to forget that I've racked up something around 18000 matches of WoT between 2011 and putting the game down in early 2020.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Same goes for me with world tanks.

I look at Stardew Valley with idk 500 hours played, or Skyrim with like 350, and then pretend that's a lot while furiously trying to forget that I've racked up something around 18000 matches of WoT between 2011 and putting the game down in early 2020.

I miss world of tanks/world of warships. Not enough to play anymore, but miss it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I kicked World of Warships finally once the new skill tree came out. It's garbage and just completely turned me off from playing it anymore.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My current flavor of the month are Playing through all official DOOM wads in UV (finished DOOM EP1-4, now on DOOM II) AND FF XIV because i hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I miss world of tanks/world of warships. Not enough to play anymore, but miss it.

:same:

Now that I haven't played for over a year, I really only recall the fun times, like spending my 3 years in the US on my alt account with gimmick Japanese tanks or straight-up overpowered underdogs, because those were the most fun tanks.
I've always treated WoT as a subscription based game (on a side-note, 95% of free-to-play titles should be illegal just for the "F2P" label), but I feel like ever since I got back from the US, and resumed actually trying to get better at the game and grind up the tiers, i've actually gotten worse through all the stretches of frustration burning me out. On my NA account, I was cruising towards a 60% winrate with 2200 average WN8 by booping people on the head with artillery shells from Japanese heavies before they were nerfed into the ground, or zipping around in the T49/T67 and T-34 / T-34-85.

On EU, I was sitting at just under 54% WR and 1900 tanks while playing matches that ended up being more frustrating than fun.
I ended up switching my playstyle and almost exclusively played tanks that were fun (which ended up being either marathon-reward premiums, or straight-up OP premiums, because Wargaming is loving terrible at this), but it still "rewarding" in the long run, so I shelved it.

Oh, the fond memories of definitely-not-rigging a T22 medium, and playing tier 3-4 tournaments