Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bullfrog posted:

This was probably already posted but holy. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/931264324986986496

Incredible. I know GOPedo diehards will make excuses but even if you don't think he's done anything wrong I can't fathom that we're in a world where this degree of raw cowardice isn't enough to send someone into decades of hermitage regardless of the actual accusations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

Cliff Notes for those that can't watch the video?

They repeatedly asked him to answer whether or not he molested those women unequivocally, and he refused to speak and ran out of the room when it was clear that was the only question the reporters wanted an answer to.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Bronze posted:

After all the events of the past week I've never felt more pessimistic about the future of the US. Cheer me up.

The world is ending faster than we would have ever imagined so while the US political landscape is terrible, the end is not too far off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, will Moore win?

I think Al Franken may have helped his chances.

Everyone's thoughts?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bronze posted:

After all the events of the past week I've never felt more pessimistic about the future of the US. Cheer me up.

We're all made of star dust and that's what we all will be again eventually.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/931306221843501056

This is why it DOESN'T loving MATTER whatever is done about Franken. He apologizes, he resigns, he doesn't, people attack him, people defend him. Nothing.

All you get is if he resigns the GOP will start looking at which senators with a GOP governor they can start finding any kind of poo poo about.

I've tried to avoid the "Franken should resign" debate because it's a difficult, sensitive topic that oftentimes gets clouded by emotion. But I think it's absurd. I feel it undermines the very argument of anti-sexual assault advocates. Not all improprieties are equal and there shouldn't be a blanket punishment for these crimes and allegations. It has nothing to do with political affiliation. If a similar allegation was leveled against McConnell I would feel the same way, and those saying "We have to call for his resignation because we're the good guys" is still wading into politics.

If Franken were a manager, or employee, of a firm and a picture of him groping a coworker was released than he should be fired or resign. If a picture came out showing him groping a stranger than he should be fired or resign. Because it would create a lack of trust and culture of fear for women at that workplace.

If similar, more recent allegations appear than he should be fired or resign. But there has been no evidence of a pattern of misconduct and no evidence that he has caused any discomfort for his colleagues, staff or constituents.

And if we are going to hold our elected officials to a higher standard (and I agree we should), how about we hold them accountable for all the self-evident horrible poo poo they do. There are members of Congress who are responsible for the deaths of thousands of people. There are members of Congress who have ruined the lives of millions through corrupt legislation that benefits the rich, lobbyists, Wall Street, etc.

The actions of Moore and the actions of Franken are worlds apart in terms of moral, let alone legal, criminality. Edit: But I actually just contradicted myself with that last sentence. The allegations against Moore have nothing to do with those against Franken, and both men should be held accountable to the context and severity of their individual actions.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 17, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

I actually think about this and find it comforting in times of desperation. The universe is amazing and unflinching and awesome in the most literal sense.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KillHour posted:

Unfortunately, the star dust will still sexually harass the cosmic gases as they both get inexorably devoured by the black holes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Covok posted:

So, will Moore win?

I think Al Franken may have helped his chances.

Everyone's thoughts?

I really don't see this helping Moore. The only people who are gonna vote Moore after Franken were gonna vote Moore before Franken. Nobody says "I wasn't gonna vote for the child molester, but Al Franken broke my heart."

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
This too shall pass.

But yeah, Moore is winning. The election didn't happen within days of the sun shining on his pedophilia, so R's have enough time to digest it all and pull that lever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Koalas March posted:

I actually think about this and find it comforting in times of desperation. The universe is amazing and unflinching and awesome in the most literal sense.

The best part of being atheist is being able to get a glimpse of what created you and admire its awesomeness.

Also being able to sleep in on Sundays.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Unfortunately, the star dust will still sexually harass the cosmic gases as they both get inexorably devoured by the black holes.

I wonder if hyper-advanced peaceful alien civilizations have trouble understanding the concept of consent.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

KillHour posted:

Some dust will sadly be more grabby than other dust.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

KillHour posted:

The best part of being atheist is being able to get a glimpse of what created you and admire its awesomeness.

Also being able to sleep in on Sundays.

No everyone else can do that too. Also the Sunday bit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tarantula posted:

Some dust will sadly be more grabby than other dust.

That's just because it's more massive. :heysexy:

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

KillHour posted:

Meh. I think I'll just tune out.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

KillHour posted:

I really don't see this helping Moore. The only people who are gonna vote Moore after Franken were gonna vote Moore before Franken. Nobody says "I wasn't gonna vote for the child molester, but Al Franken broke my heart."

It motivates those who were not going to vote at all because they had to vote a pedophile in. Now they have all the moral high ground they need to say "eh Democraps are just as bad, I can vote for my dude again"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

canepazzo posted:

It motivates those who were not going to vote at all because they had to vote a pedophile in. Now they have all the moral high ground they need to say "eh Democraps are just as bad, I can vote for my dude again"

I still don't see it, but we will see the polls in a few days.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canepazzo posted:

Someone willing to bend this far over backwards to rationalize dumb bullshit like this was going to vote moore no matter what. He is not going to win. It's not like he's helping the situation, either.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I wonder if hyper-advanced peaceful alien civilizations have trouble understanding the concept of consent.

If anything, aliens that have mastered interstellar travel transcended physical reproduction and sexuality a long time ago. Assuming they even had sexuality at all.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HPanda posted:

This too shall pass.

But yeah, Moore is winning. The election didn't happen within days of the sun shining on his pedophilia, so R's have enough time to digest it all and pull that lever.

I'm still a tiny bit dubious on this, in part because there is one crucial difference between this and the Trump scandal, which is that no one gives a poo poo about Doug Jones.

In the presidential, the media moved on from access hollywood and all the trump accusers because 'Her Emails'. Each day had some explosive scandal for one or the other, and whenever Trump got his foot jammed in it, he could point at Hillary and one of a million manufactured scandals. Franken helps a little with this, but the pedophillia accusations are the defining aspect of this election all the way up to election day.

Will that matter? Who knows. I sure hope so.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think regardless of Franken, Moore was always gonna win. There are too many broken, terrible people who will pull R no matter what. Way too many of those people live in Alabama.

I have more faith in the shittiness of these people than I do polls. Even people who are otherwise not terrible will twist their mind in horrible directions to convince themselves that these problems are all lies. I have relatives who claim to be completely anti-Nazi, anti-White Nationalist, and anti-racism who still proudly love Trump. There's no reaching these people. Tribal politics is a hell of a drug.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Senf posted:

Disable auto-load, duder

I don’t have the app, I use the browser

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

This was probably already posted but holy. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/931264324986986496

loving hell even Trump would have handled this better. By boldfaced lying of course but still.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Kubrick posted:

Ignore biology.
Ignore history.
Remake humanity.

:five:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kubrick posted:

Ignore biology.
Ignore history.
Replace humanity.

Better take. We're a failed biology experiment.

Time to invent a better model, and obsolete the old one.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Better take. We're a failed biology experiment.

Time to invent a better model, and obsolete the old one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I

It has begun!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Say, why is this called the Killbot program anyway?"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Knifegrab posted:

Believe me she doesn't need you to white knight her, she is a strong independent lady.

LOL how did I know that someone who whines about social justice in their post was going to use "white knight" in the follow up.

gently caress the hell off, cretin.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/931352084083040257
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/931377624550604800

What's with this guy and explosives?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Quorum posted:

That's the one, yes. You can't simply take the bare minimum badness threshold for being a US President in the latter half of the 20th and first part of the 21st centuries and reduce the entire impact of their presidency to that, or you are completely obviating the entire presidency. Differences matter, and in his impact on the ordinary American's life, Obama was a better President than most of the ones we've had since FDR. Of course he did bad things, and those shouldn't be ignored. But the "just" reduces it all to that and you shouldn't.

I see your point but I have to disagree with you. Only one of the points I mentioned is comparable to presidents stretching back to FDR.

In regards to the war, I think the greatest impact of his presidency overall is that he continued the policies of the previous president to murder innocent people in far away countries. Just because other presidents have done similar things doesn't make it any less disgusting, disturbing or immoral; it also far outweighs, in my eyes, any positive impact that his domestic policies have had.

The financial situation the country was in when he took office gave him a unique and crucial opportunity to fixing banking and investment regulations. An opportunity which he completely avoided. He was either in bed with the banking sector or was too scared to implement anything meaningful or both.

The continuation and expansion of the patriot act was a very conscious choice. The fact that he continued it is in and of itself unique to his presidency. He had the opportunity and ability to shut down a new authoritarian tool but he didn't take it and I'm not even sure why. Maybe it's because his corporate friends realized it's a great tool to quell dissent.

I certainly agree the ACA and his LGBTQ rights initiatives were good for the US, but when you factor in the above his good points are eclipsed by the damage he caused through his actions or lack thereof.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He’s trying to be Ben Wittes. He’s mad Wittes signal boosts stories that are abstractly damaging to Trump with his mini cannon and BOOM! tweets, so Hannity spitefully does the same thing only with made up insane stories about Hillary Clinton, because Hannity is both uncreative and crazy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
#FireHannityNow

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

#FireHannityNow

From a cannon

E: lmao the POTUS is a literal puerile retard who can't even spell "Frankenstein". Also, a rapist

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wonder how many Republicans think that if the justice department starts another investigation into Hillary that it will magically make the Mueller investigation go away.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I find equating Franken with Moore to be intensely obnoxious. It's possible to agree that both have done incredibly poo poo things without equivocating those poo poo things as being even remotely on the same field of severity, let alone the world of difference in how both men have handled being called to the floor for their poo poo (and no, that doesn't undo what they did and make it all okay, but yes, that loving matters).

I also don't think Franken should resign, given what's happened today and his accuser's reaction (so long as that's all that he's done) but then, I'm rather attached to staying alive, so I can't say I'm unbiased there. He doesn't need to fall on his sword to prove that Democrats are the more moral party in this situation, just look at that loving Moore press conference and what our child president is tweeting out about the woman Franken targeted (nice job trying to revictimize her to the whole world for a cheap shot and your gross fantasies, you piece of poo poo).

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ok,but "equivocating" does not mean the same thing as "equating"

frottage
Nov 15, 2017

Octatonic posted:

So I'm the one who said "destroy Heterosexuality" (nb: not heterosexuals) and I stand by that because it is a lovely concept that we invented in the 20th century to naturalize our weird ideology about how men and women are supposed to interact, and to "scientifically" exclude those who don't fall into a socially acceptable behavior pattern.

Heterosexuality is an ideology. It's a story we tell about how men persue women, about women value stability and monogamy, because something something :biotruths:. It is a story that says men and women can't know each other because our needs and behaviors are so fundementally different. We've occasionally tried to find evolutionary justifications to it, or we've declared that a tiny little p-value justifies this system, and sometimes the story even changes, but it's all stuff we made up.

We can talk about what people like, and what they do, and what kind of relationships they want to persue, and I think if we were honest, and worked diligently to communicate well and openly and really equally value everyone's (but frankly women in particular) autonomy and desires we would end up with an entirely different culture, and that would be a loving good thing. Yeah, men and women mostly gently caress people of not their own gender, but society has us all hung up about it in really weird ways, and to the detriment of women writ large.

Heterosexuality should be destroyed the same way gender or class or race should be destroyed. They are systems that arbitrarily marginalize and worsen the lives of people who only share incredibly superficial traits with each other.

this is a good post.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Ok,but "equivocating" does not mean the same thing as "equating"

You're right, it's 2am and my brain went to bed hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
FWIW, Franken's indiscretion has fallen off of Facebook's list of trending topics while the allegation of George H. W. Bush being a groper in 1992 still remains. I'm honestly kind of impressed by that considering the good amount of attempted signal boosting of the Franken story. I guess it just works better on Twitter despite the Russian accounts being twice as obvious?

• Locked thread