Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“numbers are down “

https://twitter.com/jillfilipovic/status/1487080845236187144?s=21

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sonatinas posted:

man having a kf94 on my face compared to 4 straight days of auras is like having a tissue resting in my face lol

Yeah, I am still working through my KF94 Bluna Facefits and after getting used to Auras they feel super loose and like I'm just wearing a tissue on my face.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Lacrosse posted:

just let everyone take off their masks and poo poo all their intestines out with ivermectin and drink all their piss I don't give a gently caress

the faster these brunchers become permanently crippled by long covid the faster I don't have to listen to them whine anymore. It's a free country and we should let all these goddamn idiots live their lovely loving lives for however long or short that may be. Let these people get their cheeseburger lungs because they needed to watch spooderman in the theater, let them never be able to walk up a flight of stairs without an oxygen tank because they needed to have their Applebee's, let them stroke out on the shitter because they needed to spend 10 hours in line at Disney for a stupid goddamn popcorn bucket. Accelerationism is the way; the faster this gets worse the faster it gets better. We should be thanking all these European countries for dropping all their precautions, now we get to see omicron's TRUE power

I know this sounds cold and I'm sorry for all the immunocompromised people who are suffering right now, I'm one of them so I know how it feels, but if this is the way it's going to be then I'm going to revel in the destruction of this lovely world I've been forced to live in. Bring it on so that the future maybe has a chance at being better because the status quo will never change until it burns the gently caress down

I'm ready to watch this world end. We don't need no water, let the mother fucker burn.

BURN MOTHERFUCKER

gotta say, it's hard to not agree with this post. I think I'm going slowly insane trying to convince anybody COVID is a Big Deal and getting met with the "it's just the cold, bro" or "I'm fully vaccinated, it's fine" talking points is getting extremely old. nobody gives a gently caress, they feel they did their part by doing absolutely nothing, and that their reward is to push a false sense of normal. my kids' mom refuses to get herself and our kids vaccinated, she wants them to go to school next week because they've already "missed too much school", and it's like.. maybe it IS best she get infected at this point.

I'm tired that other people aren't as tired as I am.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

In the end, I ate 26 different meals over the course of five days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Louisgod posted:

I'm tired that other people aren't as tired as I am.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

How long does one usually continue to test positive on rapid tests after COVID infection?

My wife got COVID 11 days ago and just finished her 10 day isolation. She says she feels 100% back to normal and has been 100% since day 7, but she did a rapid test and tested positive just today (a faint line, but still positive).

Is it safe for her to come out of isolation, or should she wait until she tests negative?

I can't cite the sources right now but it is possible to test positive for a pretty long time (weeks) after you recover. The tests work by detecting viral RNA and that can be knocking around in your system for a long time even after you're no longer contagious.

So just have her run out the clock on her quarantine. Once upon a time it was 14 days but they keep making it shorter for reasons that have more to do with money and profit than science.

Edit: Here's a source: New research reveals why some patients may test positive for COVID-19 long after recovery

quote:

Now, a new paper from the lab of Whitehead Institute Member and MIT professor of biology Rudolf Jaenisch may offer an answer to why some patients continue to test positive after recovery from COVID-19. In the paper, published online May 6 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Jaenisch and collaborators show that genetic sequences from the RNA virus SARS-CoV-2 can integrate into the genome of the host cell through a process called reverse transcription. These sections of the genome can then be “read” into RNAs, which could potentially be picked up by a PCR test.

SARS‑CoV‑2 all up in your genome.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 28, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

what the gently caress is this

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

why do numbers keep going back up after we eat out? the world may never know

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’m going to bet he doesn’t even mention it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/gpk320/status/1078885655634157569?s=20&t=tdG6bVfC1uuxH-THWrJLgg

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lmao imagine being in that loving bus (yes thanks i can draw the parallels between this and pandemic response perfectly well on my own)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mind_Taker posted:

How long does one usually continue to test positive on rapid tests after COVID infection?

My wife got COVID 11 days ago and just finished her 10 day isolation. She says she feels 100% back to normal and has been 100% since day 7, but she did a rapid test and tested positive just today (a faint line, but still positive).

Is it safe for her to come out of isolation, or should she wait until she tests negative?

if you can (it's hard to speak with certainty given economic coercion exists), you should avoid leaving isolation until you test negative

the number of days it takes to no longer be infectious falls into a range, of which 10 to 14 days is a reasonable average, but people can be infectious for longer than that

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

I’m going to bet he doesn’t even mention it

I’m listening to the local news radio and they aren’t even talking about it lmao. Just a normal every day bridge collapse. Get back to work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

I can't cite the sources right now but it is possible to test positive for a pretty long time (weeks0 after you recover. The tests work by detecting viral RNA and that can be knocking around in your system for a long time even after you're no longer contagious.

So just have her run out the clock on her quarantine. Once upon a time it was 14 days but they keep making it shorter for reasons that have more to do with money and profit than science.

Edit: Here's a source: New research reveals why some patients may test positive for COVID-19 long after recovery

There was a really good infographic of two people testing every day for weeks and showing how it changed. Can't remember now because I have covid lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
that collapsed bridge is actually a The Last Of Us set piece, fake news

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lmao HOLY poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

That bridge connects a rich area to a poor area, they’ll probably never rebuild it and property values on the west side of the bridge will go up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That bridge connects a rich area to a poor area, they’ll probably never rebuild it and property values on the west side of the bridge will go up

That'll keep mastershakeman out at least

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
A Facebook associate of mine went on a rant about collapse doesnt happen in the US after that apartment complex crumbled in Miami or wherever last year. I linked him the numbers on infrastructure failures in the US for the last several years and then he took down the post.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sure is surprising that people that are choosing to dine inside at restaurants right in the middle of our worst wave of COVID yet are people that don't care about COVID.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

im cackling, what a dweeb. she blocked me weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/___z__________/status/1487087685806215171

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

i thought they wrote "reservations about eating in" at first, not that they had reservations to eat in.

:smith:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Chad Sexington posted:

The ambiguity about the movie's ending means both a C-SPAM doomer and their spouse can say, "SEE!?" and feel equally validated.

I didn't find the ending ambiguous at all and I am a little confused why you would think it was? But then I understood the movie as "what if Noah, but modern world", which entirely falls apart if he isn't correct, so :shrug:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Iron Crowned posted:

That'll keep mastershakeman out at least

lol

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It is super funny to me how bad people's brains are at dealing with abstract representations of things.

A curve representing infections, numbers going down are exactly the same as the parallel point on the curve where they are going up. This is so loving basic a 5th grader could understand. "Going down" is not remotely synonymous with "down".

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

I got the secure click and I didn’t like it at all, so it sits on the shelf as backup for the future. too heavy. what’s a 3m model that isn’t like that?

6500ql is pretty light, but I'm also used to wearing it and a hard hat.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
so that poll about long covid causing you to feel heavy headed or something? is that just enjoying microstrokes all day? whats the deal!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I have a reservation, it's on The Reservation, but I admit, I do have my reservations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

What the gently caress is the deal with The Atlantic

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WarEternal posted:

It is super funny to me how bad people's brains are at dealing with abstract representations of things.

A curve representing infections, numbers going down are exactly the same as the parallel point on the curve where they are going up. This is so loving basic a 5th grader could understand. "Going down" is not remotely synonymous with "down".

I'm running in to that to. I've had multiple people tell me that we are past the peak. And they're right, cases to appear to be going down in our area. However, our testing is still redlined with over 40% of tests being positive. Which means that our numbers aren't very reliable. But also we're still super high! This week isn't as bad as last week but it's still the 4th or 5th highest number of positives we've had the entire last two years. It doesn't disappear after a peak, there's still a shitload of people getting sick!

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Animal-Mother posted:

I Have a reservation, it's on The Reservation, but I admit, I do have my reservations.

Coughin for one, please (get it)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

WarEternal posted:

I think what's funniest to me is that these people are so beyond desperate to escape their boring lives and have nothing to fill it with outside paying somebody to prepare them an expensive meal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WarEternal posted:

Yeah, covid cases in NYC are still about 33% higher on the 7-day average than the worst of last winter's surge.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hellotoothpaste posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with The Atlantic

Same as the deal with the NYT and Washington Post or any other prestige media.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Me returning to work in a tyvek suit and PAPR *screaming over the motor* “Oh yeah? Well, I’m over your loving plague rat crybaby bullshit! gently caress you too, Sharon, I’m glad you miss smiles! Hey Ted, you miss brunch? How bout you brunch on this whole rear end!

Apr 7, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, covid cases in NYC are still about 33% higher on the 7-day average than the worst of last winter's surge.

NPR literally just had someone on to say that the surge 'is looking better in the northeast' and that the end of the pandemic is in sight.

2022 so far has been worse than 2021 which was worse than 2020. I feel like I'm listening to crazy people on the radio and on TV.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
it’s kind of impossible to get closure for pre-pandemic life when 90% of people are acting like it doesn’t exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

NPR literally just had someone on to say that the surge 'is looking better in the northeast' and that the end of the pandemic is in sight.

2022 so far has been worse than 2021 which was worse than 2020. I feel like I'm listening to crazy people on the radio and on TV.

It's a concerted effort to gaslight the populace into accepting the current rate of infection and death as normal, and it's working.