Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I knew a guy who went into get his appendix removed and they replaced it with an afterword.

ehehehe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

It’s social pressure. More or less everyone is susceptible to it.

Elastomeric respirators do their job more reliably, more comfortably, and more economically than the disposable alternative. The only technical downside is that they can be be heard through. Everything else is social.

I got over it in March and April of 2020 when I had a reusable respirator, I couldn’t buy more N95s, and there was proper fear in the air so that the public response to seeing someone in a respirator was to back off.

I get that and I even admit that I'm susceptible to it. I don't wear a elastomeric because of that, though I'd probably consider it if I was using mass trnasit or lived in an apartment building. But KN95s, KF94s, and N95s all do a great job and other than getting occasional looks because the straps go around my head instead of ear loops I've never seen anyone respond in any way to that type of mask vs a cloth or surgical. There are upgrade options over lovely masks that don't require the wasteland look.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched a movie the other night called Take Shelter where Micheal Shannon has nightmares that real bad poo poo is about to happen.

Of course everyone else thinks he's crazy because he shows up late for brunch because he stopped off to buy canned goods, or built a tornado shelter. There was more to it, and I think it would be a better movie if they had leaned more into the mental illness makes unreasonable things seem reasonable.

I keep thinking about one scene where he pulls over on the side of the road to look at some cloud to cloud lightning, and says "is anyone seeing this?" Because it really does feel like I'm the only one seeing that poo poo is really bad, as people are randomly just missing for 5 days, and it takes forever to get materials, or even just the random poo poo missing at the grocery store

I know some mental disorders gently caress with your pattern recognition in ways that make you see patterns that aren’t there, but I also know that most people are shockingly bad at recognizing patterns. In the middle, the sensible cspam poster, who screams and froths about how stepping on rakes and rake handle to face collisions are highly correlated, and how this relationship between action and tragedy can be decoupled without the formation of a series of exploratory committees into the utility of future studies of rake and rake-face injury dynamics.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Can't believe PFC wore his filters wrong. He should be threadbanned.

They're not even the first person in this thread to make that mistake. I think we have to accept that's "a thing" with bayonet cartridges.

WampaLord posted:

this is another advantage of the secure click, it's fairly idiot proof

you know when you have the filters in right, because they click when they're secure....hey, wait a minute!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I know, I thought it was hilarious how endlessly people kept commenting on it though so I wanted to join in!

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Real Mean Queen posted:

I like how he looks like he’s getting away with something

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I got the secure click and I didn’t like it at all, so it sits on the shelf as backup for the future. too heavy. what’s a 3m model that isn’t like that?

I prefer the 7502. It's idiot proof and positive/negative checks are very easy.

Want to like the 6502 as it's lighter but find the positive pressure check less convincing compared to the 7502, and it makes me doubt whether I've got a good seal. Negative pressure checks are great though. I'm sure if you've been trained to use masks and/or know what you're doing then it's fine.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

deaths are only COVID deaths if they happen within 28 days of a positive (iirc).

This is correct.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I want to strangle this person. of course some people look similar there are a loving finite number of facial features. it’s the whole reason everyone’s seen someone who looks like a friend but if they were 65.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We've been doing appendectomies since the 1880s and the fact that people are refusing them now because of Fox News is some insane bad poo poo lmao

Actually it owns

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
What are people's thoughts on the Envo Mask? Most of the reviews I can find are from nurses and seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Unfortunately for me I only trust anecdotes from users of long forgotten web forums.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

I prefer the 7502. It's idiot proof
This thread is doing its best to prove that wrong

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

McCracAttack posted:

They're not even the first person in this thread to make that mistake. I think we have to accept that's "a thing" with bayonet cartridges.

I would like it very much if the good people at 3M would do a little more to emphasize the “line the lines up” lines on their filters and masks. They’re there, but even knowing that and looking for them it still feels like more of an easter egg than an advertised feature.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

lol thank you

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Random chud on Facebook posted:

I have drug through this week. I have been just so sleepy all week. It is not lack of sleep. I just haven’t came back online yet. I would say that I am running about 80% and about 20% of me is gone and I don’t know where it went to. I declined to drink any caffeine tonight other than the sodas that I brought to work. It is just like drinking water, it doesn’t help at all. Well water will help if one is dehydrated but I am going to the restroom too much to be dehydrated. I bought a lemonade tonight and one of my coworkers said that is not going to help you stay awake. I said neither is a $3.50 energy drink either. It is just of non effect.
I have had a lot of people though tell me, since I originally complained about what was going on, that they have either had these issues or have heard other people say that they have experienced the same thing, that everything didn’t come back the way it should.

I know that I got a negative test, but sincerely I don’t trust it. I just don’t. Plus there is a article floating around that there is a new strand that is evading the COVID tests. My daughter sent me a screenshot of the article the other night. I also seen it from someone on my friend’s list who posted the article and it floated down my news feed. My daughter told me when she sent it that I will bet you anything that is what we had.

In addition to my tiredness, my cognitive ability seems to have shrunk some as I take more time now to process things, not too much more time, but enough that I notice. I just stare at stuff for a moment before it jars into my head what I am staring at. I am usually pretty good at spelling and catching my errors in messages that I post or send out, but now sometimes I am thinking a moment about how to spell something and it should be something anyone knows how to spell. I sent a message the other day to a friend and referenced the weather, but instead of using the word “weather”, I used “rather” instead. And I didn’t even catch that after proofreading the message .
I don’t know, I am just not myself. It is just like 20% of me died with the virus.

I have been sick in my lifetime, both naturally and self inflicted. I never exaggerate when I said that I never felt anything like last week. Also I have always, regardless how sick I was, bounced back within a couple of days after the sickness exited to 100%. Saturday will be a week since I returned to work at Dominos and I have been at Hytrol all week. I have had people message me that have been several weeks out from this and are still tired and fatigued.

The shot has been said that if it don’t protect you from getting it then it will lessen the symptoms. What did it lessen for me? I felt like I would have to die to get better last week. For all I know it may have made it worse. I mean a lot of people speculate that this virus was engineered anyway, and I will just say it, in the Wuhan lab in China. There is also speculation circulating that our own government used tax payer dollars to help engineer this virus. So why should I trust that the vaccine didn’t serve to only make it worse. Because I shouldn’t be feeling this way.

I don’t need no help sleeping. I am perfectly capable of curling up anywhere right now and being asleep in under 10 minutes. It is a wonder that I didn’t fall in the paint booth tonight at work. That is how exhausted I am.
And every vaccine developed over history in our country seemed to have eradicated the problem. I took the Polio vaccine as a kid, I never seen a case of Polio, small pox either, and I could go on and on. What has this vaccine stopped? This virus keeps smiling, mutating, and keeps coming.
I told God tonight, if He will just let me be restored to 100%, I will never trust anything handed out by our government, in the name of helping us, again. Just let me be restored Lord! Either way, I am not trusting them again for anything.

Some may think that I am overthinking this, but I know what I went through last week and I know about my sicknesses in the past. I know what I feel like now. I know something isn’t right. It is just not right.
I am going to reach out to the Hytrol Medical Clinic in the morning. I know that they won’t see me tomorrow. They are only open half a day, but hopefully I can get in and be seen early next week. Maybe they can do something. Maybe it is a lost cause. Who knows. But I will try.

poo poo, maybe pretending vaccines were a 100% effective silver bullet and then continually moving the goalposts afterward wasn't such a great idea.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 90 days!

FunkyFjord posted:

i have no idea who that person is but i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that they are 100% a profession hopium manufacturer.

0 basis in reality, all thoughts and opinions orient purely around what they wish to be true despite all exceedingly obvious evidence to the contrary.

a narrative/consent manufacturer tailoring a message to anyone and everyone who doesn't actively consider themselves part of any fringe ideology
All that is absolutely true.

But the whole point of my second quote, the one labeled "WSJ posted", is that the very same Wall Street Journal that ran that piece of garbage simply gives up their op-ed writer as a paid know-nothing shill when you just click on the URL buried in her byline.

You don't even have to speculate. Her bio data simply tells you.

Back in the day, I took a couple of "Application Security" short courses. When you see a course with a title like that, what it really means is "how to hack websites, particularly corporate websites".

But it all seems a bit pointless when they leave the crown jewels just sitting there ..... :roflolmao:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

They need to embarrass Biden’s press secretary.

That’s it. That’s the only way anything gets done in Washington now.

Being able to influence things by bullying blue checks on twitter is unironically probably the most influence that normal people have been able to have on policy in a generation.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

How Digital Tarring and Feathering Affected Early 21st Century Politics

Is gonna be a cool dissertation for some nerd.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

yoloer420 posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Envo Mask? Most of the reviews I can find are from nurses and seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Unfortunately for me I only trust anecdotes from users of long forgotten web forums.

Got an EnvoMask while still trying to keep a lower profile and it's truly very comfortable. However found maintaining a good seal challenging when moving around the lab, looking up and down over equipment etc and eventually just replaced it with a half face elastometric to get a robust seal. If you know what you're doing wrt masks they're likely a very good option. If you're like me and just bumbling through mask stuff without any training because suddenly everyone needs a respirator to be safe in society then you might want an easier to use mask. Keep in mind nurses likely receive some actual mask usage training and get fit tests, or at least hope they do.

mystes posted:

This thread is doing its best to prove that wrong

You guys are mean :mad:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched a movie the other night called Take Shelter where Micheal Shannon has nightmares that real bad poo poo is about to happen.

Of course everyone else thinks he's crazy because he shows up late for brunch because he stopped off to buy canned goods, or built a tornado shelter. There was more to it, and I think it would be a better movie if they had leaned more into the mental illness makes unreasonable things seem reasonable.

I keep thinking about one scene where he pulls over on the side of the road to look at some cloud to cloud lightning, and says "is anyone seeing this?" Because it really does feel like I'm the only one seeing that poo poo is really bad, as people are randomly just missing for 5 days, and it takes forever to get materials, or even just the random poo poo missing at the grocery store

The ambiguity about the movie's ending means both a C-SPAM doomer and their spouse can say, "SEE!?" and feel equally validated.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Hamburlgar posted:

I got heckled by a ‘covid truther’ because I was wearing my p100 respirator as I walked from the UPS store back to my car.

‘The pandemic is a hoax, maan!’

lol.

If a chud heckles you over your mask, just bellow the secret password "CHEM TRAILS"

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

B.A.2. Baracus

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
man having a kf94 on my face compared to 4 straight days of auras is like having a tissue resting in my face lol

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Starting to wonder if I should try a size small respirator because I definitely feel more comfortable in an Aura because they’re not heavy like my respirator and I’m wondering if that’s a sizing issue?

Can't remember what mask you have but in case it helps you or anyone else with this issue

The 3m 6500 with the grey 7093 or pink pancake p100 filters is very lightweight, WAY lighter than a heavy rear end Secure Click

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CBC Radio had a segment linking the decline in “keywords signalling Rationality” in English language books, according to some study, to the advent of Facebook, and I don’t know what the gently caress. They said the trend started in the early 80’s but the key date was 2007.

I’m not sure what Liberals are trying to do here, it’s such a bizarre angle. They said more people are communicating in language about what they feel instead of what they think, and distrust expert opinion and rational arguments at odds with their feelings. They had experts on who talked about how people embraced science and rationality after the Industrial Revolution, believed in the march of progress etc. but then have lost faith in their lives improving, the political system, experts etc. and are less receptive to the messaging.

I want to say that it’s because everyone’s material conditions are declining, and so there’s less buy-in to liberals saying everything is great. That I understand, what I don’t understand is what liberals are signalling to the CBC Listener demo - that facebook has made people irrational and the neoliberal consensus is still triumphant?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Real Mean Queen posted:

I like how he looks like he’s getting away with something

i pretend to think he's running from a fire

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s the guy who stole the apes!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Frosted Flake posted:

CBC Radio had a segment linking the decline in “keywords signalling Rationality” in English language books, according to some study, to the advent of Facebook, and I don’t know what the gently caress. They said the trend started in the early 80’s but the key date was 2007.

I’m not sure what Liberals are trying to do here, it’s such a bizarre angle. They said more people are communicating in language about what they feel instead of what they think, and distrust expert opinion and rational arguments at odds with their feelings. They had experts on who talked about how people embraced science and rationality after the Industrial Revolution, believed in the march of progress etc. but then have lost faith in their lives improving, the political system, experts etc. and are less receptive to the messaging.

I want to say that it’s because everyone’s material conditions are declining, and so there’s less buy-in to liberals saying everything is great. That I understand, what I don’t understand is what liberals are signalling to the CBC Listener demo - that facebook has made people irrational and the neoliberal consensus is still triumphant?

Liberals think that technocracy is what has always existed but the idea of 'we trust the apolitical experts' really only got rolling in the early 1960's with Kennedy. Successive presidents like Nixon and Carter used the executive branch to reallocate power away from democratically elected offices and into appointed bureaucratic organs answerable solely to the capitalist class. It's a relatively new phenomenon.

Guessing that a broadly similar thing happened in Canada in the 60's/70's, since it happened everywhere else in the anglosphere.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

natural immunity is not a thing
immunity from COVID is NOT A THING

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

i am harry posted:

natural immunity is not a thing
immunity from COVID is NOT A THING

what about superimmunity

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

What N95 retailers are still in stock and not backlogged? I wanna suggest some to friends

Home Depot is out of Auras but they have other N95s in stock, though all the ones I looked at had exhalation valves.

I'm now at the point where I'm angry about people caring about the valves though. Because gently caress anyone that cares more about someone wearing a mask with a valve than they do about someone only wearing a cloth mask, much less dicknosers and non maskers.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

McCracAttack posted:

Oh hell yes!

Owns.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Kal-L posted:

You know... it's been three years of the pandemic, and still no one recognizes the mexican movie about a pandemic that pretty much predicted it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzWKoYZltbE

"It's a new form of immortality, since they are not officcialy dead"

"We're just the Fourth Power. If those above us are in accordance, there's little we can do. A News like this is so big it gets out of our hands"

Or just ignore it because it's not english language. Do as you will. Just wanted to post it. Thought some of you would appreciate it.

Hell yes, thanks.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I got one of those cute Dentec Nx-MD valve-less masks to try and it’s not great. The entire face piece is squishy silicone. The only rigid part is where the filters attach. This makes it hard to position and tricky to get a seal. It’s also annoying to check the seal because touching the filters makes the face piece change shape and breaks the seal on the bridge of my nose. Do not reccomend, glad it wasn’t expensive.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Oglethorpe posted:

from MSA's product literature:

Please do not doxx my going to the grocery store outfit like that.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Lock_Os/status/1487076000387289092?s=20&t=2NeNtLibLOKmkA7_IEWJ3g

thinking of you PFC

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How long does one usually continue to test positive on rapid tests after COVID infection?

My wife got COVID 11 days ago and just finished her 10 day isolation. She says she feels 100% back to normal and has been 100% since day 7, but she did a rapid test and tested positive just today (a faint line, but still positive).

Is it safe for her to come out of isolation, or should she wait until she tests negative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

This is kinda frustrating as a poor. I will never know when would be the right time to just go all YOLO and max out my entire credit cards.

Too early and I'll be bankrupt and homeless before society collapses.

Too late and either I'll never get all of the various stuffs because there isn't any left anywhere after society collapses.