Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

Add Outcast to my list of games I own on GOG, I played the demo as a kid and I still want to play/beat :smith:

Well enjoy Nar Shaddah.

What a load of crap. I'd still be playing it (yes I actually got through the sniper's paradise), but now it jitters in the waste management area, no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This was posted on Night Dive's facebook thing some hours ago:
https://www.facebook.com/NightDiveStudios/photos/a.294232697385491.1073741825.194438327364929/507116782763747/?type=1&theater

for non FB users:
"NOLF had some pretty cool promotional items. ..martini, anyone?"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

You could just try replacing the dosbox.exe in the dark forces steam directory with a version you know works. DarkXL isn't a great idea though, since last I heard it has some issues with a few missions.

Yeah, DarkXL crashes on Nar Shadaa for most people and there are some other levels where the level triggers don't work and they're uncompletable.

It had such promise. :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wait, is DarkXL never going to be finished? That really sucks because I hate having to use Dosbox for Dark Forces and if the dev's just gonna up and quit developing the only source port...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm really looking forward to DaggerXL :allears:

That's going to be loving fantastic.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Zeether posted:

Wait, is DarkXL never going to be finished? That really sucks because I hate having to use Dosbox for Dark Forces and if the dev's just gonna up and quit developing the only source port...

DarkXL was merged with DaggerXL into XLEngine which seems to still be vaguely active.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

horse mans posted:

DarkXL was merged with DaggerXL into XLEngine which seems to still be vaguely active.

Keyword being "vaguely". The developer last visited his own forum in mid April.

I wouldn't expect DarkXL for several long years.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
He's also overloading himself, since he said he wants his engine to run Dark Forces, Daggerfall, Outlaws, and Blood.

At least the Doom engines limit themselves to games that basically all work the same.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
And it's closed source, isn't it?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Having not yet beaten Outcast, my only response to this is :argh:

Was talking about the Dark Forces 2 Nar Shaddaa levels actually. Although I remember Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast and Dark Forces being neat too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jehde posted:

Was talking about the Dark Forces 2 Nar Shaddaa levels actually. Although I remember Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast and Dark Forces being neat too.

Oh, I know you meant DF2:JK Nar Shaddah, but for me, the mere mention of the place is like some sort of pathetic version of a 'Nam flashback.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Nar Shadaa was pretty annoying in Jedi Knight and in Jedi Outcast. I don't seem to remember the Dark Forces Nar Shadaa but I've played it a dozen times, I'm probably just not realizing one of the levels WAS Nar Shadaa or something.

But god drat the Nar Shadaa multiplayer map in Jedi Outcast was a thing of beauty. The one with all the catwalks?
Go sith, take force choke, choke somebody, turn your mouse so they're being held over a pit, and then let go.

So drat satisfying.

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

Well, it's ostensibly still in progress, but the dev hasn't posted any updates or visited the forums in half a year, and Dark Forces support is on hold pending Daggerfall support, which has been coming Real Soon Now™ since 2012.

And it's closed source, so no-one else can take it over and finish it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Nar Shadaa was pretty annoying in Jedi Knight and in Jedi Outcast. I don't seem to remember the Dark Forces Nar Shadaa but I've played it a dozen times, I'm probably just not realizing one of the levels WAS Nar Shadaa or something.

Dark Forces' Nar Shaddaa had the classical problem of trying to make doom look like a city, so yeah it was hard to tell apart from the rest. I'm curious though, what was your issue with Jedi Knight's Nar Shaddaa levels?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

spongeh posted:

Hi all, I work on Quake Live and hang out in #SAGameDev and people there told me to post here. Tell me how I am worse than Hitler for adding loadouts and the HMG. Also, while not strictly FPS related, I found this, backed it up, and was the first person in 25 years to experience this:

thanks for listening.

I live 15 minutes from the id offices, so I accept your job offer of playing Q3 all day for 15/hr.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Jedi Knight's Nar Shaddaa level was the first level, I remember it being ok, if a bit mazey (which is a complaint for most fps's at the time I guess.)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Jedi Knight's Nar Shaddaa level was the first level, I remember it being ok, if a bit mazey (which is a complaint for most fps's at the time I guess.)

The first and second are Nar Shaddaa, iirc. Good memories of pursuing 8t88 (or was it just his arm?) down the polygonal tubes.

And now I'm wondering if Mara Jade makes the cut into Star Wars 7 :ohdear:

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 9, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It was his arm. While we're here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

Mara Jade likely won't be in Episode 7 but John Boyega's story arc may very well be similar to Katarn's.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I always found it strange that Kyle Katarn has a beard in cutscenes but not in the game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I remember really liking the cutscenes when I was younger, though I was super disappointed that the game didn't actually look that good. I don't remember the second half's story much though, since I lost CD2, but at least all the game maps were on disk 1 and it would let me just skip the cutscenes without the disk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jehde posted:

Dark Forces' Nar Shaddaa had the classical problem of trying to make doom look like a city, so yeah it was hard to tell apart from the rest. I'm curious though, what was your issue with Jedi Knight's Nar Shaddaa levels?

Too many huge ramps, combined with kinda confusing level design and just generally simple graphics making it a little confusing and claustrophobic.

I haven't played jedi knight in like forever and a day, though.

Convex posted:

I always found it strange that Kyle Katarn has a beard in cutscenes but not in the game.

He has a beard in-game for Outcast, though :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't played jedi knight in like forever and a day, though.
Same here, but now I have that loving ten second loop of the Cantina music from the start of Nar Shaddaa stuck in my head. Goddammit all to hell.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shadow Hog posted:

Hey, Quake Mapjam 5 is all about floating castles! I love esoteric themes like that.

This was one of the super-short "jams", basically speedmapping, so I can't understand how skacky managed his entry. I think he was streaming his dev process though from beginning to end, so he's legit just really fast at slinging brushes.

Funny how his entry kind of looks sock-ish (and sock's entry goes off into an entirely different theme).

Next jam's theme is "Low-Gravity Runic"...

Geight
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Elliotw2 posted:

I remember really liking the cutscenes when I was younger, though I was super disappointed that the game didn't actually look that good. I don't remember the second half's story much though, since I lost CD2, but at least all the game maps were on disk 1 and it would let me just skip the cutscenes without the disk.

This happens with the Steam version too, since you have no Disc 2 to put into the drive and make it play the FMVs for the second half. I ended up just watching them on Youtube in between maps!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

RyokoTK posted:

I figured that it was, which is why I brought it up. :) My post was more of a clarification of yours than a correction.

I couldn't find a watchable version on Youtube though.

I recorded the run (should process to HD and 35/60fps soon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRF581cnVuA

I don't really post in Doomworld but feel free to share it there. Is there a prettier source-port that can play these demos? I wanted to use GZDoom with some nice looking wads but of course it was a no go.

Also can someone link the thread where they discuss this? I don't know anything about this run outside of watching it. :shrug:

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2014

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Same here, but now I have that loving ten second loop of the Cantina music from the start of Nar Shaddaa stuck in my head. Goddammit all to hell.
Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat. Now I've got it too. :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd say the only good thing about (JK2) Nar Shaddah is that bartender.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

jerkstoresup posted:

I recorded the run (should process to HD and 35/60fps soon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRF581cnVuA
I'm the extreme gamma correction

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Johnny Law posted:

Next jam's theme is "Low-Gravity Runic"...
So Ziggurat Vertigo five times over, then

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Linguica posted:

I'm the extreme gamma correction

I'm how Competition Doom looks by default.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elliotw2 posted:

He's also overloading himself, since he said he wants his engine to run Dark Forces, Daggerfall, Outlaws, and Blood.

At least the Doom engines limit themselves to games that basically all work the same.

Ahaha what? At that point he's writing four engines and packing them into one executable.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

jerkstoresup posted:

Is there a prettier source-port that can play these demos?
glboom

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Ahaha what? At that point he's writing four engines and packing them into one executable.

They're all different executables, actually. My understanding is that there's a bunch of shared infrastructure for the renderer, keyboard/mouse input, and whatnot, and then game-specific logic for loading game data and suchlike.

It's not as completely insane as it sounds; Dark Forces and Outlaws run on the same engine, IIRC, and Daggerfall and Blood have similar technical requirements even if they're different engines under the hood.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The idea of the XLEngine adding support for more games was far more interesting when it seemed to be developing at a good clip.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

catlord posted:

The idea of the XLEngine adding support for more games was far more interesting when it seemed to be developing at a good clip.

True. I'd much rather have Dark Forces working than to have a bunch of Dark Forces and Daggerfall screenshots and sweet gently caress all else.

Ages ago he assured everyone that if he ever stopped work on it he'd release the source code, but that promise has proved to be -- as it always is -- hollow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

True. I'd much rather have Dark Forces working than to have a bunch of Dark Forces and Daggerfall screenshots and sweet gently caress all else.

Ages ago he assured everyone that if he ever stopped work on it he'd release the source code, but that promise has proved to be -- as it always is -- hollow.

Unless he's not done.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You can get around it by killing the guards in the tavern silently, or doing the quest late enough it doesn't matter.

It won't work because Mourel will refuse to deal with you.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shadow Hog posted:

So Ziggurat Vertigo five times over, then

We can only hope!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Unless he's not done.

The developer hasn't even been arsed to post a "I'm still planning to get back to work on this as soon as my life settles back down" post since April or something. The engine isn't done, but he sure seems to be.

Furthermore, even if he's not, that's still the better part of the year that other people could have spent making improvements to the engine rather than sitting around staring wistfully at it.

I just do not get this attitude of "I want to build something cool, but I don't want anyone else to be able to help and I don't want any possibility of it ever being finished or updated once I lose interest".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does the Activision Battlezone re-imagining from 1998 count as an early FPS? It has RTS elements too but for the most part you're in a tank (or on foot) shooting stuff, although the movement system is very odd feeling and you kind of have to get used to it, it feels like Tribes at times with some of the maps. Best of all the game's free and one of the former devs is still updating it.