Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

I've been into the Civil War lately and saw that Netflix had a big ol' 10 part pbs documentary about it. Good god I'm falling asleep just typing about it. They need to start prescribing this to insomniacs.

Ken Burns’ The Civil War is both great and great to fall asleep to. There’s no shame in that.

But you should watch the parts that you slept through again when you are awake because it’s a great series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

regulargonzalez posted:

I'll defend that movie to the end. The plot is the just mechanism to explore what the movie is actually about, which is a compelling exploration of loss, grief, and acceptance. The twist aside, it's a really good film that is understated in all the right ways. Shyamalan really does have some good directing chops when he wants to.

I think his biggest mistake was putting a twist at the end of Unbreakable. I like that movie too but having a twist at the end of each movie effectively pigeonholed him into that being his thing and really hampered his future efforts.

unbreakable is my favorite movie of his. i think after your make the happening your career deserves to die though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

unbreakable is my favorite movie of his. i think after your make the happening your career deserves to die though.

Did you see Split yet?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Shyamalan has made some bad movies but he's back on very solid track with his last couple ones, he's not a hack in the least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, Ken Burns makes good documentaries, but I will inevitably fall asleep during one that I'm even really into. I've found that personally for me, they're better as something I can watch while doing something else like cooking or vacuuming. I haven't seen the Vietnam one yet, but I want to

Ken Burns needs to get off his rear end and make The 11th Inning, goddammit. I hated that The 10th Inning was packed with Steroid Era moralizing and Red Sox fanboy poo poo.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Thwomp posted:

I'll fight you.

It's the thing that made Ken Burns' carrer. His recent The Vietnam War series was astoundingly depressing. Good god.

I saw a little of the Vietnam one when it came out a few months ago. At least there's video of Vietnam to play. The Civil War is a powerpoint slideshow narrated by the worlds most monotone 7th grade social studies teacher.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Last Flag Flying went up on Prime and piqued my interest on account of the cast of Carrel, Cranston and Fishburne, and it follows a plot that is broadly emotionally manipulative but really manages to do most of its work through the characters. I liked it a lot.

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the heads up. Love the Linklater.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Wow. The Outsider rips off homages Battles Without Honor and Humanity quite a bit.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did you see Split yet?

no not yet. i have feeling i would say “that wasnt as bad as i thought it would be” and then forget about it. the visit was the last film of his that i saw, and it was just ok. still a little dumb and 9/10 times i dislike movies with child leads. i like all m nights films that ive seen but for different reasons. usually it is because they are watchable bad films.

married but discreet posted:

Shyamalan has made some bad movies but he's back on very solid track with his last couple ones, he's not a hack in the least.

i disagree, but maybe we are all just disappointed in the promise he showed. i always think about that newsweek cover that predicted he would be “the next spielberg” lol.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

i disagree, but maybe we are all just disappointed in the promise he showed. i always think about that newsweek cover that predicted he would be “the next spielberg” lol.
You could make the same argument about Tarantino though. He made Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown, then figured the audiences just liked movies where people say "friend of the family" alot and ran it into the ground.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not a massive Tarintino fan but I think you are underselling him there.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I've been into the Civil War lately and saw that Netflix had a big ol' 10 part pbs documentary about it. Good god I'm falling asleep just typing about it. They need to start prescribing this to insomniacs.

I don't think you're as into the Civil War as you think you are.

I wish I could find Gettysburg somewhere. BAYONETTTTSSSS

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 11, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pycckuu posted:

You could make the same argument about Tarantino though. He made Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown, then figured the audiences just liked movies where people say "friend of the family" alot and ran it into the ground.

The laziest criticism.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

He's not top tier, but he knows how to shoot film interestingly, he knows how to scare the audience and he has an adorably goofy sense of humour. He's not going to produce Oscar material, but he is excellent at horror and comedy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like the beginning of "Safe", but I'm kinda a sucker for serialized whodunnits.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pycckuu posted:

i think it's more accurate to say that he tried to make a power fantasy for black people and now nobody will let him live it down.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't think you're as into the Civil War as you think you are.

I wish I could find Gettysburg somewhere. BAYONETTTTSSSS

Hey man I read like almost the entire wikipedia page so

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
M night realized that he's better making pure exploitation than trying to make Spielberg movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I saw a little of the Vietnam one when it came out a few months ago. At least there's video of Vietnam to play. The Civil War is a powerpoint slideshow narrated by the worlds most monotone 7th grade social studies teacher.

The Civil War is from 1990, and on the forums, we're young enough that we don't really understand what a pre-internet world was like. I feel like what the series did was make the Civil War accessible to the average person. If you ever met an old school Civil War buff, you've no-doubt seen the entire shelf full of obscure books entirely dedicated to the Civil War. Basically it allowed people to learn a bit more about the Civil War without requiring it to be a full-time hobby.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Timby posted:

Ken Burns needs to get off his rear end and make The 11th Inning, goddammit. I hated that The 10th Inning was packed with Steroid Era moralizing and Red Sox fanboy poo poo.

The entire series is basically just "segregation was bad and you should feel terrible about it" intermixed with fawning over the Red Sox and Yankees.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Iron Crowned posted:

The Civil War is from 1990, and on the forums, we're young enough that we don't really understand what a pre-internet world was like.

Speak for yourself kiddo :corsair:

quote:

I feel like what the series did was make the Civil War accessible to the average person. If you ever met an old school Civil War buff, you've no-doubt seen the entire shelf full of obscure books entirely dedicated to the Civil War. Basically it allowed people to learn a bit more about the Civil War without requiring it to be a full-time hobby.

This is mostly the gist of it. Older documentaries might have focused on certain sections of the civil wat but the Ken Burns documentary was one of the more comprehensive places to see it all in one go.

Like, it was 1990, it's not only pre intent but pre home computers. PowerPoint is a decade away. A slideshow of historic photos and personal stories setting up a comprehensive story of the war was fascinating as the only other place you'd see that stuff was paging through old books or a museum exhibit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sand Monster posted:

The entire series is basically just "segregation was bad and you should feel terrible about it" intermixed with fawning over the Red Sox and Yankees.

That said, the first half of it is really good. Back half is dogshit, really highlights Burns' stupid biases and blindspots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like what the series did was make the Civil War accessible to the average person.

And also, repopularize Lost Cause "brothers on both sides" bullshit.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Someone let me know if "Evil Genius" is any good. It's another true crime Netflix miniseries about the pizza guy who was held hostage with a bomb on his neck like ten years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ew. It’s shocking how the not-actually-about-slavery narrative was legitimated as the sophisticated, intellectual take on the civil war over the course of the 80s and 90s. In retrospect, there had to have been some Koch money or something behind that. It was even taught to me in (northern) high school.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

business hammocks posted:

Ew. It’s shocking how the not-actually-about-slavery narrative was legitimated as the sophisticated, intellectual take on the civil war over the course of the 80s and 90s. In retrospect, there had to have been some Koch money or something behind that. It was even taught to me in (northern) high school.

I can't even remember what I was taught in school about the civil war

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

business hammocks posted:

I remember reading a bit about it, and the thing that made the most sense to me was that the people who were most knuckle deep on Civil War stuff scholarship-wise were all pretty much Lost Causers, so naturally they set the agenda without necessarily intending to advance their own bias.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of Ken Burns, I fell asleep rewatching his Prohibition doc on Netflix and it's still as good as ever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

wa27 posted:

Someone let me know if "Evil Genius" is any good. It's another true crime Netflix miniseries about the pizza guy who was held hostage with a bomb on his neck like ten years ago.

Just turned it on. The Duplass Brothers? This is a real documentary?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

wa27 posted:

Its not bad if you just want something on. I didn't realize my husband had no idea those events occurred because he was serving in Iraq at the time. The first episode blew him away that it actually happened.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Not sure this is the thread for this but I just bought a 2017 LG oled tv and want to test out the best 4K HDR content on Netflix once it arrives. Any suggestions for the best stuff to watch? I know that Altered Carbon is supposed to be good, although I've already seen it in 1080p.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hamelekim posted:

Not sure this is the thread for this but I just bought a 2017 LG oled tv and want to test out the best 4K HDR content on Netflix once it arrives. Any suggestions for the best stuff to watch? I know that Altered Carbon is supposed to be good, although I've already seen it in 1080p.

I believe the first season of Daredevil was re-published in 4K HDR last year.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Lycus posted:

Just turned it on. The Duplass Brothers? This is a real documentary?

They produced Wild Wild Country as well, I believe.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
I'm sure it's been brought up a billion times but I just noticed Lagaan is on Netflix and well
Check that poo poo out, it's the best. Big Bollywood production, realistically comically evil Englishmen, who could ask for more. A bit long but worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCn31pq8i0
It's the poo poo.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

I remember reading a bit about it, and the thing that made the most sense to me was that the people who were most knuckle deep on Civil War stuff scholarship-wise were all pretty much Lost Causers, so naturally they set the agenda without necessarily intending to advance their own bias.

This joke has probably been told several times but the variant I've seen is:

American History Bachelor's degree: The Civil War was about slavery

American History Master's degree: The Civil War was about states rights and tariffs

American History PhD: The Civil War was about slavery

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

When I watch Netflix through the 4K Apple TV the app suggests things in a "UHD" category. Altered Carbon does look really good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

wa27 posted:

I just started the last episode and it's been pretty drat interesting. I lived in Michigan when it happened so I heard about it a little but my girlfriend had no clue and she is eating it up.

The lead fbi guy is probably the most boring person I've ever seen on film and he's in it A LOT.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I think it's hard to tell personal stories of the soldiers and leaders of the Confederacy and not have that leak in. The author of the trilogy (Shelby Foote, who was a Southerner hired for the job because of his novel Shiloh) consciously tried to minimize Lost Cause narrative and had a hard time because it runs rampant in sources. Hell, I suspect that even if the documentary had been completely devoid of any sympathy for Confederate soldiers that you'd still see a repopularization of Lost Cause mythology -- just by bringing the civil war back into people's minds you stir up decades of resentment and see a backlash.

Ultimately, I don't blame the documentary for the lovely perpetual opinions of folks who will never accept that it's just not okay to own other people, and "Ashokan Farewell" played over Ballou's letter to his wife Sara still makes me tear up. The Civil War looks really dated now, but at the time it was an eye-opening and very personal look at the conflict.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Lycus posted:

I like the beginning of "Safe", but I'm kinda a sucker for serialized whodunnits.

I watched the trailer and Michael c. Hall was doing a British accent, and I realized how rarely that happens compared to the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't feel like Ken Burns' The Civil War is unduly positive towards the Confederate cause at all. I wonder if people who think that even watched it.