Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

armoredgorilla posted:

A hinist and Bard are similar in that they're ranged physical dps classes with variable dps and support mechanics but how they get there is very different.

Not particularly. The difference between them isn't nearly as distinct as BLM/SMN or MNK/DRG or pretty much anything. They both have don't move stance. They both have moves they can only execute in those stances. They both extensively use procs. They both have a filler move they press while waiting for other buttons to press. Hot shot and Straight arrow are very similar. They both have a aura the regenerates tp/mp at the cost of damage. Blank/Repelling. Grenado/Wide. Spread Shot/Quick nock. Etc etc.

They have differences but really they fill the exact same role, same playstyle, nearly same utility, and are basically the same class. What's the point of having two classes this similar? MCH could have just been a different job crystal for Archer it's so similar.

Edit: Actually it would have been more different if it was a different job crystal cause it wouldn't have half the copy/pasted poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I only hope and pray that it's not a massive nerf. I enjoy the current tank meta quite a bit, though I understand why they'd want to change it. I just hope they keep rewarding doing good damage output and giving the tools to do that instead of them just throwing some def/mdef on vit accessories that you need to take hits in 3.2 content and then flipping us the bird.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I just want to see Warriors cry, that's all.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My preferred solution would be for tank damage output to scale off vitality instead of strength, with numbers tuned such that a full-vit tank post-adjustment does comparable damage to a full-str tank pre-adjustment.

Really, the only way they're going to get tanks to stop wearing strength is to get us to stop wanting to wear strength. So long as there's a carrot motivating the use of str over vit, most good tanks will wear only as much vit as they need, and flesh out the rest (and in most cases "the rest" is "everything") with str for more damage. They could massively increase the defense or vitality of tank accessories and people would still wear only just enough and fill in the rest with strength.

It's not that I'd object to having a mountain of HP, it's just that I don't need 22k when 18k is fine, but having 22k would mean killing poo poo a lot more slowly, which is something I would notice (whereas the extra 4k is something I generally wouldn't).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
First thing that comes up in the balance meetings in Japan, is "are the Gaijins "ok" with this?".

Artist depiction of the meeting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonn%C5%8D_j%C5%8Di

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 5, 2015

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Vil posted:

My preferred solution would be for tank damage output to scale off vitality instead of strength, with numbers tuned such that a full-vit tank post-adjustment does comparable damage to a full-str tank pre-adjustment.

Really, the only way they're going to get tanks to stop wearing strength is to get us to stop wanting to wear strength. So long as there's a carrot motivating the use of str over vit, most good tanks will wear only as much vit as they need, and flesh out the rest (and in most cases "the rest" is "everything") with str for more damage. They could massively increase the defense or vitality of tank accessories and people would still wear only just enough and fill in the rest with strength.

It's not that I'd object to having a mountain of HP, it's just that I don't need 22k when 18k is fine, but having 22k would mean killing poo poo a lot more slowly, which is something I would notice (whereas the extra 4k is something I generally wouldn't).

It's the same problem with all MMORPGs. You can only be so tanky before it becomes pointless.
The only way I can see them making the players change is removing the Str option entirely.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vil posted:

Or just do what TOR did with KoTFE and ditch almost all primary stats and condense it into a single one that does whatever it's supposed to do on whatever class wears it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, we're all forgetting what this game is really about, and I almost did too.

Catgirl dressup.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Belzac posted:

Edit: Actually it would have been more different if it was a different job crystal cause it wouldn't have half the copy/pasted poo poo.

That 2 minute cooldown raging strikes archer privilege, tho.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

3.2 accessories are probably going to wind up locked to the jobs that are supposed to use them, just like the left side gear is. Being able to wear a ring of healing as a Dragoon is pretty weird. Assuming that Fending gets extra defense and/or bonus Strength (similar to how healing gear got extra Accuracy that didn't count towards stat allocations) then it'll definitely be locked to only tanks. Just adding def/mdef to the fending accessories isn't going to cut it because once you replace leftside with higher ilevel gear you can switch in slaying accessories while maintaining similar def/mdef levels.

Other solutions I could see would be having Parry affect your damage similar to how SS affects DoTs, or having Accuracy over a target's cap contribute to damage somehow (bonus crit?).

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I think they need to rebuild the class system from the ground up in 4.0. Classes -> Jobs don't really work logically anymore and if they want to really explore the FF classes more they will need to drop the 1.0 holdovers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LordNat posted:

I think they need to rebuild the class system from the ground up in 4.0. Classes -> Jobs don't really work logically anymore and if they want to really explore the FF classes more they will need to drop the 1.0 holdovers.

To be fair they want to. Yoship has stated in no uncertain terms that he's not happy with the current system. The Job system was invented in the latter portion 1.0 specifically because there was no diversity of builds, since everyone could learn everything so they just used only the numerically best things. The reduction of cross-class slots when you equip a Jobstone is a vestigial thing from that era. Judging just by the 3.0 Job Questlines I think that just saying sod it to classes and making Jobs the permanent thing is where we may end up eventually heading, especially since the Dev team has been very open about the server woes of having both classes and jobs to record.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm sure the only reason they haven't already killed classes is because they need to implement some weird workaround for summoner and scholar

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Look at all these people talking random poo poo with no quotes besides "I heard yoshi say it once".

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Might be sorta late on this one, but going by interview comments, apparently this person who kept showing up in promo stuff

is none other than Krile.

Good: Callbacks to early MSQ mentions.

Better: An FF5 reference.

Best: If Galuf is also in Eorzea, this means he's a grizzled grandpa lalafell. :sax:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure everybody guessed that was Krile from the first screenshot of her.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

LordNat posted:

It's the same problem with all MMORPGs. You can only be so tanky before it becomes pointless.
The only way I can see them making the players change is removing the Str option entirely.

Bonus Armor/Bladed Armor.

:getin:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I might be a little late on this but did you guys know knights of the round is gonna be in this game?

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Belzac posted:

I might be a little late on this but did you guys know knights of the round is gonna be in this game?

drat you might wanna spoiler that juicy info

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Despite the fact that it's probably more a reference to the FF5 sprite, I do like that the new Krile promo art makes it really seem like she'll deffo be a Devout/Shaman/Doushi, rather than just a standard white mage.

also if the orb is some kind of FF1 reference I might lose my poo poo

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
It's the Orb of Minwu, actually, because that's Minwu. Tricked again by another radical redesign!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SpaceDrake posted:

Despite the fact that it's probably more a reference to the FF5 sprite, I do like that the new Krile promo art makes it really seem like she'll deffo be a Devout/Shaman/Doushi, rather than just a standard white mage.

also if the orb is some kind of FF1 reference I might lose my poo poo

Please don't be that dumb.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Belzac posted:

Please don't be that dumb.

You should follow your own advice.

quote:

Despite the fact that it's probably more a reference to the FF5 sprite...

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Mazed posted:

Best: If Galuf is also in Eorzea, this means he's a grizzled grandpa lalafell. :sax:

Or she could be the adopted daughter of a ripped and grizzled highlander hyur like another lalafell in the story.

Not likely, but the contrast between Pipin and Raubahn is still funny as poo poo.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If someone doesn't stop SpaceDrake early he'll drown us in wild speculation and spoiler text that is just made up poo poo for the next 20 pages.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
hmm spacedrake fanfic or belzac shitposts

really whipping out the hard choices here

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mazed posted:

Might be sorta late on this one, but going by interview comments, apparently this person who kept showing up in promo stuff

Based Yoshi-P.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zweihander01 posted:

3.2 accessories are probably going to wind up locked to the jobs that are supposed to use them, just like the left side gear is. Being able to wear a ring of healing as a Dragoon is pretty weird. Assuming that Fending gets extra defense and/or bonus Strength (similar to how healing gear got extra Accuracy that didn't count towards stat allocations) then it'll definitely be locked to only tanks. Just adding def/mdef to the fending accessories isn't going to cut it because once you replace leftside with higher ilevel gear you can switch in slaying accessories while maintaining similar def/mdef levels.

Other solutions I could see would be having Parry affect your damage similar to how SS affects DoTs, or having Accuracy over a target's cap contribute to damage somehow (bonus crit?).

Yeah like I hope they come up with something good that's not just locking tanks to using fending accessories and saying gently caress you. As they couldn't really do that retroactively without screwing over existing gearsets, we'd probably have an entire raid cycle of tanks farming the highest ilevel strength accessories from 3.0/3.1 and/or Alexander 3.2 having a ton of wacky gimmicks where tanks need to take obscene amounts of damage regularly (hit the thing for the buff that massively boosts healing spells and give the healers refresh!) and it'd just be dumb and bad.

As such I hope it's just a straight up stat rebalance where, as mentioned, vit factors into attack power or something. It sounds like there's going to be some gear stat overhauls in 3.2 in general so we may even see some wacky poo poo like two stat accessories on i250 or whatever, which has the potential to make gearing for all classes much more interesting, as well as making main stat materia not meldable make a whole lot more sense.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
/hildy

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kuvo posted:

/hildy
I think there's a trend here: the fewer words in a post about MMOs, the better.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

kharaa posted:

Y'all know what you want, in your heart of hearts

Kuvo posted:

/hildy

oh my god I MISSED THE WEDDING, DIDN'T I

I AM LITERALLY THE WORST

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Y'all know what you want, in your heart of hearts

oh my god I MISSED THE WEDDING, DIDN'T I

I AM LITERALLY THE WORST

It's okay I took a good photo of the ceremony:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kharaa posted:

for gods sake spacedrake fanfic at least that poo poo is mildly entertaining

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Belzac posted:

Pft, knights of the round

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Leal posted:

Pft, knights of the round

Hey these tiny ape people killed my sister, I better start by saying how loyal and noble they are first.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mazed posted:

I will only believe it's Krile if both of her eyes are always looking at you, no matter where in the room you happen to be.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Kuvo posted:

/hildy

Love how that /hildy lineup came together!

Not pictured: a shitload of wind-up gentlemen hiding behind the ridge we're standing on

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Belzac posted:

Hey these tiny ape people killed my sister, I better start by saying how loyal and noble they are first.

How doubly ironic.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

While I'm sitting here in party finder for loving ever, the Premiere Raiding Group of Third Party Tools, Cat Simulator 2015, is having that problem many other statics are having where people are dropping because of patch boredom. Also we're not sure if our scholar is even alive, like, irl :( (oh god lycelle answer my twitter dm)

As such we need a scholar and a couple of dps. We raid Wed/Thur 7PM-10PM Pacific Time. FFGoons thread here: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27496 or just message The Associate or Lady Gaga in game.

We're pretty laid back in general and are open to people who want to get into raiding, and will teach you fights if you show up on time every raid. We're only on A2 so far and what's holding us back is mostly losing time and talent to a revolving door of alternates and party finder fillins. We think raiding should be a fun, enjoyable, social activity and imho we have a good balance of caring enough about performance to where we have fun clearing and winning but not so much we forget it's a game.

While we are looking for primaries who can consistently make raid time mostly, we can always use alternates to help when available if you're shaky on the schedule or have another group but enjoy doing/teaching fights beyond your weekly clear for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

While I'm sitting here in party finder for loving ever, the Premiere Raiding Group of Third Party Tools, Cat Simulator 2015, is having that problem many other statics are having where people are dropping because of patch boredom. Also we're not sure if our scholar is even alive, like, irl :( (oh god lycelle answer my twitter dm)

Can I just second this, if anyone know how to get in touch with Lycelle Faust (aka Faust IX on forums I think) please let myself or Boten Anna know, the last word we had was that Lycelle was having fairly serious stomach-related health issues and I think everyone in Cat Simulator and Blame Selene is worried. :smith:

• Locked thread