Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Gann Jerrod posted:

Remember Bagel, the smart tape measure? It actually was released, but guess what it doesn't do very well?

You know what they say: measure four times, cut three times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

Remember Bagel, the smart tape measure? It actually was released, but
Show of hands, is anyone surprised at all?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

I’m surprised they shipped.

Does that count?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

How will you measure the amount of hands? :ohdear:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sagacity posted:

How will you measure the amount of hands? :ohdear:

Pen and paper hopefully.

The funny thing is, a single good measurement tool that could organise entries easily without a notebook might be a really handy trade tool, but it's kind of moot if you can't even depend on the measurements to millimetre accuracy on short runs. Literally one job, but I guess that's it, people buy tapes with literally one job, that are cheap and suited to their application, be it long run (steel), ease of short run (synthetic), distance (rolling). There's no room in the professional market for something that does them all badly when they're not expensive in the first place.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Maluco Marinero posted:

Pen and paper hopefully.

The funny thing is, a single good measurement tool that could organise entries easily without a notebook might be a really handy trade tool, but it's kind of moot if you can't even depend on the measurements to millimetre accuracy on short runs. Literally one job, but I guess that's it, people buy tapes with literally one job, that are cheap and suited to their application, be it long run (steel), ease of short run (synthetic), distance (rolling). There's no room in the professional market for something that does them all badly when they're not expensive in the first place.

You can buy them all individually as well and save money compared to buying a bagel measure.
I have a yardstick and a metal tape measure that goes for everything home improvement and carpentry wise. For measuring circumference or textiles I have a soft plastic tape measure. All of these can measure with an error margin of less than a milimeter, because they're a simple design, just a piece of wood/metal/plastic with lines printed on them with a milimeter between each one. How do you gently caress up such a simple thing? They're even making things harder by having you save the measurements on a flash drive or voice memo instead of just jotting them down on whatever you have handy (usually a piece of wood left over by the saw or the back of some sandpaper or whatever). And of course there's a phone app because why wouldn't your tape measure have bluetooth?

This keeps being a pretty accurate parody of the thoughts behind this and other IoT devices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7i7kj2jO4

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gann Jerrod posted:

Remember Bagel, the smart tape measure? It actually was released, but guess what it doesn't do very well?
I don't know if it's just speculation, but some of the comments mention a Bagel v2.0. Also how they apparently they have surveys to harvest data like age, gender and household income from people who want to lodge a complaint or something, presumably to sell on?

Irredeemable shitheads if so.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wonder if I could launch a successful Kickstarter to fund someone with experience make a thing I want

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maluco Marinero posted:

Some callipers can connect to a computer to log measurements. It’s useful for things like modelling parts you already have in‐hand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theklove/klove-knob-the-worlds-first-voice-assisted-cooking

Or you could just use your cellphone...

Also they're claiming this thing is going to save lives and there's no way that an AI developed for 30K is going to be that reliable or safe.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theklove/klove-knob-the-worlds-first-voice-assisted-cooking

Also they're claiming this thing is going to save lives and there's no way that an AI developed for 30K is going to be that reliable or safe.

It's going to fill your house with gas during the night.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zaphod42 posted:

I honestly cannot decide which these people know the least about : AI and HCI; cooking; or stoves.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Zaphod42 posted:

In what situation are you cooking something that can burn easily while not paying attention to it for a long enough period that this would make sense? Plus, for pasta, the ideal use case (still not known for catching fire easily) you still want to take it off the heat source/hot pan, which this does not do.

(The answer is 'stoners,' isn't it?)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Now anyone can cook! As opposed to before when you had to be a trained professional to do it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

yoloer420 posted:

It's going to fill your house with gas during the night.

I think that's probably for the best

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...0653079050.p2hi

Is this an existing idea that's been rebranded? I find it difficult to believe it's taken until now for someone to invent 'small wooden oval that rolls'

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Tears In A Vial posted:

Is this an existing idea that's been rebranded? I find it difficult to believe it's taken until now for someone to invent 'small wooden oval that rolls'

He did say somebody already made it and he "refined" it. Holy moly over 10x funding

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Munchables posted:

He did say somebody already made it and he "refined" it. Holy moly over 10x funding

Oh my bad, I didn't watch the video, just looked at the page.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1282890542/zetime-worlds-first-smartwatch-with-hands-over-tou

So you know how those smartwatches are not really all that useful, but the one thing they can do is use the screen to tell the time?

What if we went and stuck a classic watch hand on TOP of your screen! Because!
But... if you want classic watch hands, why not just get a classic watch? BECAUSE SMARTWATCH. DUHHHHH.

quote:

Won’t the hands get in the way of the screen?” – no, we’ve got that solved. With our Smart Movement technology, the mechanical hands are controlled by the watch CPU in order to move them if necessary to maximize visibility of the screen.

Hands won't disturb you reading your emails or instant messages. We can simply ask them to move away from the text area to elegantly separate the screen in two horizontally.

The stupid watch hands that don't need to exist anyways are actually a problem, but we fixed it!

So obviously this thing succeeded and made over $500k in funding.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Hey, did anybody else back Dan Luvisi's Popped Culture?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tears In A Vial posted:

It's like the fidget cube wasn't loud and autistic enough so they made something you could alienate the whole office with

e lmao the sound in that video, there's no excuse for this level of shitiness in 2017

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1282890542/zetime-worlds-first-smartwatch-with-hands-over-tou

So you know how those smartwatches are not really all that useful, but the one thing they can do is use the screen to tell the time?

What if we went and stuck a classic watch hand on TOP of your screen! Because!
But... if you want classic watch hands, why not just get a classic watch? BECAUSE SMARTWATCH. DUHHHHH.

The stupid watch hands that don't need to exist anyways are actually a problem, but we fixed it!

So obviously this thing succeeded and made over $500k in funding.

Because it can look like a regular clock and you don't have to be "the smartwatch guy/gal"?

I'm wearing a smartwatch with physical watch hands right now, sans touch screen, but with bluetooth time syncing, step counter, swimming recognition, vibrating alarm and a few more simple features. One of the main selling points for me with that watch was that it did the few simple tasks I wanted but still looked like a normal watch so I wouldn't be "the smartwatch/fitbit guy".
Of course, no touch screen also means the battery lasts almost a year, and that was also a big selling point to me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What watch is that?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

What watch is that?

This one. I didn't link it because I wouldn't want to sound like a paid shill.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

kjetting posted:

Because it can look like a regular clock and you don't have to be "the smartwatch guy/gal"?

I'm wearing a smartwatch with physical watch hands right now, sans touch screen, but with bluetooth time syncing, step counter, swimming recognition, vibrating alarm and a few more simple features. One of the main selling points for me with that watch was that it did the few simple tasks I wanted but still looked like a normal watch so I wouldn't be "the smartwatch/fitbit guy".
Of course, no touch screen also means the battery lasts almost a year, and that was also a big selling point to me.
If you're embarrassed over wearing a smartwatch, I don't think paying extra to bolt physical hands onto one is the solution.
Also your watch is more of an analog fitbit. The Kickstarter watch still has apps and touch and stuff on display, I doubt it's gonna fool anyone.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

kjetting posted:

You're confusing a hybrid smartwatch for what that is. It's a straight up smartwatch with hands bolted to it. There's a touchscreen on it and a display that needs to be on for it to display a watch face.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

My sister was talking about some pet glove you hooked water into to clean your dog with and it sounded dumb and annoying to have to deal with. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and am I right or wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kjetting posted:

No dude, you don't get it.

kjetting posted:

This one. I didn't link it because I wouldn't want to sound like a paid shill.

I kinda like this. Its an analog watch that is "smart" and connects to your phone. Cool.

That is not what the kickstarter is.

its literally an electronic pixel touchscreen that somebody drilled clock hands into the middle of.

They just drilled watch hands right into a screen.

WHY.

It is not "so you're not the smarwatch guy". It is so "you're the smartwatch guy AND the fancy watch guy" which makes you twice the douche.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Mar 29, 2017

canis minor
May 4, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

My sister was talking about some pet glove you hooked water into to clean your dog with and it sounded dumb and annoying to have to deal with. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and am I right or wrong.

ShamPaw Dog Washing Glove?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1PIwe-_lPg

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait is there actually some stigma against people wearing smart watches? At least, beyond being a prime target to mug?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leal posted:

Wait is there actually some stigma against people wearing smart watches? At least, beyond being a prime target to mug?

They’re the new Bluetooth headsets, apparently.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I kinda like this. Its an analog watch that is "smart" and connects to your phone. Cool.

its literally an electronic pixel touchscreen that somebody drilled clock hands into the middle of.

WHY.

It is not "so you're not the smarwatch guy". It is so "you're the smartwatch guy AND the fancy watch guy" which makes you twice the douche.

Wait, the watch hands are just sitting out there in the open? There's uh, a reason every single other analog watch ever has them under glass, and that's because those things are going to catch on something and bend or snap off within of a week of unboxing it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Known Lecher posted:

Wait, the watch hands are just sitting out there in the open? There's uh, a reason every single other analog watch ever has them under glass, and that's because those things are going to catch on something and bend or snap off within of a week of unboxing it.

Nah, that's just him drilling the hands onto the screen. If you look at the second picture, that whole bit still goes under a touchpad and then under a glass screen.

But its gotta have all the mechanics of the watch movement plus all the eletronics of the smart watch and screen, it'll require tons of battery charging AND you'll have to keep it wound in order to maintain time, and even they admit the hands get in the way of reading the screen, so the hands have to be smart and move to be horizontal so you can read things, in which case they don't tell the time and just block some of your middle pixels from being used.

You're spending tons of money to make a thicker watch that has no real advantage over a standard watch or a smartwatch depending upon what you want, and you're ruining half the pixels of the smartwatch screen.

If you want a smartwatch, use the screen to show hands. If you want an analog smart watch, get one of those.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, most people have two wrists...

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

But its gotta have all the mechanics of the watch movement plus all the eletronics of the smart watch and screen, it'll require tons of battery charging AND you'll have to keep it wound in order to maintain time, and even they admit the hands get in the way of reading the screen, so the hands have to be smart and move to be horizontal so you can read things, in which case they don't tell the time and just block some of your middle pixels from being used.

If it scoots the hands out of the way, I don't think it has a mechanical movement inside.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Zaphod42 posted:

WHY.

I stand corrected.

I was mostly trying to make the point that people have several different reasons for buying something, and I noticed that this one had some pictures where it displayed a straight watch face or single color. You could also imagine someone wanting this because it displays the time no matter what else you're looking at, and not in a small box that shows digital time.

I'm not disputing that it's a stupid idea and I would never have bought it myself. I was just trying to think of a reason why someone would buy this thing.
Most touchscreen watches also have the option to display something that looks like the face and hands of an analog clock, which makes it even more stupid.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leal posted:

A lot of the designs out there are very gaudy or chunky, and so they draw attention in an unwanted/unfashionable way.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's like the fidget cube wasn't loud and autistic enough so they made something you could alienate the whole office with

Except that has specific functions designed to be silent in order not to annoy folks during meetings, etc.

ChaseSP posted:

There's ShamPaw linked upthread, but there's several different grooming gloves out there, unsure if any came via KS. Sounds like assistive technology and/or a way for the dog to feel more comfortable about getting washed.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Except that has specific functions designed to be silent in order not to annoy folks during meetings, etc.

lol yeah let me juggle this little plastic bottle on the table while we talk shop at work

I didn't know it could be silent but in the video its KLAK KLAK KLAK

vvv
I thought he was talking about the desk juggling thing

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

unpacked robinhood posted:

lol yeah let me juggle this little plastic bottle on the table while we talk shop at work

I didn't know it could be silent but in the video its KLAK KLAK KLAK

The fidget cube is silent, not this new thing.