Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Never toss a man on another man's rebar.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

You're fine AS LONG AS you keep it to blunt trauma. That never killed nobody.

(You impaled him didn't you. Gimme your Bat-badge.)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

quote:

Ghost Rider won't be returning to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. when the show comes back from its midseason winter break, and not just because the show's story is moving in a different direction. According to co-showrunner Jed Whedon, there were budgetary concerns to consistently portraying Robbie Reyes' flaming skull.

http://www.newsarama.com/32555-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-can-no-longer-afford-ghost-rider.html

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
RIP Agents of SHIELD

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Drifter posted:

Zack Snyder gave an interview where he said something along the lines of "I'm really glad that these COmic Book Movies are somewhat old hat now because you can finally tell a story, rather than have a thing be empty, distracting spectacle."

BvS was a legit good movie (there are certainly a few criticisms regarding delivery), but it's still sad to see people approach it like the more prolific MCU. And this dude's reasoning for calling it a dud, naming it leaden and implausable and witless, is just so lazy and stupid it kinda hurts.

I think "empty, distracting spectacle" describes BvS perfectly.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aw, too bad. I liked Robbie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hiddenriverninja posted:

Aw, too bad. I liked Robbie.

Well good because that's the half most likely to make a return :v:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bring back old gbs posted:

Well good because that's the half most likely to make a return :v:

I hope he tries to summon the skull form and it just keeps cranking but doesn't turn over.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm glad someone highlighted the "joke".

the ying-yang symbol on the dude's t-shirt isn't highlighted though?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hodgepodge posted:

the ying-yang symbol on the dude's t-shirt isn't highlighted though?

Or the list of 8 different kinds of grenades Inquisitor Clousseau always carries with him

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I can't even think of 8 different situations let alone 8 different situations that would each require a unique type of grenade

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I can't even think of 8 different situations let alone 8 different situations that would each require a unique type of grenade

guess that's why you'll never make inquisitor, scrubling

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

New Wonder Woman photo

Violator
May 15, 2003

Caught Rogue One today and was surprised how much it reminded me of people's complaints about BvS:

-- Ohh it's so grimdark! (Everyone dies!!!)
-- Who are these cameos?!? A little blue robot and a gold man? Who was that lady at the end?!? None of it makes sense if you're not familiar with the source material!!!
-- A bunch of these characters and plot points seem to exist solely to setup the next movie! We don't even see them use the plans they stole!
-- Learning about the main character's past and motivation via a flashback dream sequence?! Dumb!!!
-- It was so dense! A ton of characters, locations, planets, and plots intercut at the same time! I couldn't tell who was what where!!!
-- etc.

I hope everyone that hated BvS also hates Rogue One. :colbert: I really enjoyed both films.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought Rogue One was better than this other recent Star Wars, and actually thought it felt more "Original Star Wars-y" than the previous 4, but was still under characterized as hell for the most part. I thought it was pretty boring. I absolutely adore BvS and MoS.

I'm super fuckin' stoked for Wonder Woman, but none of the screen stills I've seen are very interesting to me. Like, this one seems pretty boring even though, you know, there's an explosion right there and whatever.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 30, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Vader didn't give someone a jar of piss so Rogue One is automatically better.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Darth Vader didn't give someone a jar of piss so Rogue One is automatically better.

He did tell someone not to CHOKE.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

He did tell someone not to CHOKE.

That was a pretty homoerotic moment, yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Actually that's why it's worse. Lex Luthor is way more convincing and appropriate as the kind of person who would make snide, insecure little jokes at the expense of someone who's crossed him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Actually that's why it's worse. Lex Luthor is way more convincing and appropriate as the kind of person who would make snide, insecure little jokes at the expense of someone who's crossed him.

yeah luthor specifically throwing back the senator's southern folksy phrasing in her face to unrattle her shows a nice silicon valley disdain for where she comes from

vader just makes a dumb pun

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Vader making little jokes to amuse himself while torturing and murdering everyone around him owns and is completely true to the character. Wait, what thread is this?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Watch the original trilogy again. Stressing the CHOKE part so you know it's a pun aside, Vader has a well established track record of poo poo talking the underlings he murders.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, this isn't like Vader is suddenly dropping sick beats and being hip and cool with the kids. Dude's always been a poo poo talker because his penis burnt up and his balls got taken by the Emperor.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Watch the original trilogy again. Stressing the CHOKE part so you know it's a pun aside, Vader has a well established track record of poo poo talking the underlings he murders.

It's a question of delivery, really. Vader in the original trilogy just doesn't give a gently caress, which makes a trying-too-hard effort like "don't choke on your aspirations" or "granny's peach tea" stand out by comparison.

Even in the prequels, Anakin takes himself deathly serious; it's harder for the audience to take him as seriously as Vader, because he's a whiny little twerp, but the character's attitude is completely different.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 30, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

from what i remember of the prequel stuff anakin definitely had a wit(especially when obi-wan was around) but it was more snide and sarcastic than belting out choke ice burns

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Even in the prequels, Anakin takes himself deathly serious; it's harder for the audience to take him as seriously as Vader, because he's a whiny little twerp, but the character's attitude is completely different.

Anakin makes a number of eye rollers in TCW, much to Ashoka's disdain. Haters vacate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Rogue One is a prequel movie where Vader makes a sick force choke pun so it's literally canon that that is what Vader's humor is like in the prequels and he's also witty as hell in Clone Wars. There's even an episode (in like season 3 before it even gets super good) where he cold impales a dude through the back on screen and is cracking jokes about it as Obi-Wan is semi-horrified).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

arguing canon isn't gonna make me do a 180 on a pun i didn't like

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It just didn't have the inflection that "apology accepted, captain Needa :smug:" did

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dude, Vader gives some sad sack of poo poo a jar of piss every day. Probably an actual sack of poo poo too. No way that suit fully recycles all the waste like a stillsuit.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gyges posted:

Dude, Vader gives some sad sack of poo poo a jar of piss every day. Probably an actual sack of poo poo too. No way that suit fully recycles all the waste like a stillsuit.

But does he piss and poo poo with a smile on his face? If he scowls or looks conflicted, he's Not My Vader.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Violator posted:

But does he piss and poo poo with a smile on his face? If he scowls or looks conflicted, he's Not My Vader.

This forum has reached its peak.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I am in fact making a Not My Vader argument here, just not from the position that there's a really existing Vader whose purity is sullied by this impostor, but because a Vader who finds himself and the Force funny says something different about the nature of tyranny than a Vader who will staidly lecture a council room full of high-ranking Empire officials about respecting his religion.

e: It ties into the larger trend in both Rogue One and The Force Awakens to have their villains wink at the camera and go "wow, look how evil and petty we are." Grand Moff Tarkin is a backstabbing social climber instead of a chilling voice of reason, Vader is snarky and flippant instead of assured and demanding, Kylo Ren is a child throwing a temper tantrum, and so on. It's not enough for them to be fascists, almost as if the filmmakers don't trust us to know that, no poo poo, those are the baddies.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 30, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Burkion posted:

Yeah, this isn't like Vader is suddenly dropping sick beats and being hip and cool with the kids. Dude's always been a poo poo talker because his penis burnt up and his balls got taken by the Emperor.

Well, actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXp8T097vjc

Vader's got the moves.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can't wait until Chris Rock is the voice of the next Star Wars villain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, actually...

Star Wars has been all about singing and dancing since 1977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_x4D1Ausps

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kylo Ren is a child throwing a temper tantrum
It's almost like that was literally the point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

It's almost like that was literally the point.

I'm don't doubt that it was deliberate, I'm just not impressed by the film's need to make its antagonists simultaneously overwhelmingly strong but also degenerate and pathetic. :v:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!
"You're afraid... that you'll never be as powerful as Darth Vader" was a great line with great delivery. You could almost hear her ask "why the gently caress would you want that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

I can't wait until Chris Rock is the voice of the next Star Wars villain.

How about Seth Green, Weird Al Yankovic and Seth McFarlane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI

That was going to be an official Star Wars series, they started work on it in 2010 and actually got 39 episodes completed but then George Lucas sold the Star Wars franchise to Disney in 2012 and the show was quietly cancelled soon after.

• Locked thread