Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ooh boy. The MCU already introduced the concept of an intentionally created large shared universe into movies, the Fox deal could bring another comic book thing in; confusing partial hard reboots! Everybody likes Deadpool, so make Deadpool canon in the MCU, but the three main dudes from the other X-Men movies are all retired, so reboot the regular X-Men stuff into the MCU.

They will obviously reboot like they did with Spider-Man once they are part of the MCU. It actually works out perfectly because the original cast of X-Men wrapped up their story with Days of Future Past and Logan. Sure they are trying to continue the story with Jlaw and the younger cast with Pheonix and New Mutants but people only give a poo poo about the original crew and they have already received a fitting ending.

I'm way more interested what will happen on the comic side though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Have Gwenpool show up then have her drag Ryan Reynolds Deadpool from the Fox universe into the MCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Top Gun posted:

So I expect a lot of fluff books to get cancelled over the coming year if the Fox Deal goes through at Disney. Got to make way Marvel's new A-list superhero teams the X-Men and Fantastic Four and their related universe of characters (Silver Surfer, Doom, X-Force, Future Foundation, etc. etc.)

With Legacy being a rolling turd they need to do something. Maybe it's time to truly reboot their universe.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

With Legacy being a rolling turd they need to do something. Maybe it's time to truly reboot their universe.

That's a bad idea. DC did that 6 years ago and it was a rolling turd that kept them depressed for 5 years until they basically put out a comic apologizing for the whole thing.

All they really need is to promote their younger Talent more, let the writers write and put less editorial mandates, and stop doing gimmicks like events and relaunches and variant covers and other quick shots into your arm to boost sales in the short-term. If they just went back to basics and focused on quality across the entire line and not just in a few really good series, stop giving big names the run of the place like with Bendis where they can do anything and even the editors can't stop them, and stopped with the bad PR somehow, they'd be fine.

It's like losing weight. If you keep looking for some miracle cure, it will never work. If you just regulate your diet, eat a little healthier and eat a little less, and exercise a bit, the basics, you actually lose weight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah. It's a good idea. Steve is thawed out in 2017, immediately starts pinching girls' butts and has to learn a hard lesson.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Rhyno posted:

They should reboot and introduce a status quo similar to the MCU. Note i'm not saying it should be canon with the MCU (that would be limiting) it just should be consistent with it. Characters and their supporting casts should look and behave similar to their film and show counter parts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Top Gun posted:

They should reboot and introduce a status quo similar to the MCU. Note i'm not saying it should be canon with the MCU (that would be limiting) it just should be consistent with it. Characters and their supporting casts should look and behave similar to their film and show counter parts.

Sounds no good!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nah. It's a good idea. Steve is thawed out in 2017, immediately starts pinching girls' butts and has to learn a hard lesson.

I really hate, and I know you're being ironic, all those people who say that Captain America should be a piece of poo poo and completely forget the point of the character and how he's supposed to be the best America has to offer, the Marvel Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mark Waid has a comic for you!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard that they were bringing Logan back from the dead. Which confused the poo poo out of me, because I'd seen Logan on the cover of comics. It turned out that was Old Man Logan, a Logan from an alternate universe. But the regular Logan was dead. Not from the time he went to hell and then escaped hell, this was an unrelated death. And I was supposed to be surprised and dead that Logan was back from the dead, despite the fact that he had escaped hell in an earlier story line, and also there was a slightly different version of Logan running around the whole time, and they'd supposedly moved on and made Laura into Wolverine.

Marvel should stop doing that kinda poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I heard that they were bringing Logan back from the dead. Which confused the poo poo out of me, because I'd seen Logan on the cover of comics. It turned out that was Old Man Logan, a Logan from an alternate universe. But the regular Logan was dead. Not from the time he went to hell and then escaped hell, this was an unrelated death. And I was supposed to be surprised and dead that Logan was back from the dead, despite the fact that he had escaped hell in an earlier story line, and also there was a slightly different version of Logan running around the whole time, and they'd supposedly moved on and made Laura into Wolverine.

It's all justified cause Death of Wolverine and Lemire's Old Man Logan (even Bendis' Secret Wars OML) were pretty darn good.

I'll try to not have every second reply now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mark Waid has a comic for you!

Dude, I own both issues and plan on owning all the rest.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, was there ever any doubt they would bring back OG Logan Wolverine, despite all the various other Wolverines now running around...?

I get that it’s cynical but it’s also inevitable; whether it’s Ben Riley being Spider-man, Steve Rogers being assassinated, Batman getting “killed” and going back through time or whatever or Jean Grey etc etc - no way these guys are permanently dead.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rhyno posted:

How'd that work out for DC? I'm actually asking, I don't follow sales numbers or anything like that. I did get the impression it was poorly received by longtime DC fans. I remember it did make me buy the first three issues of Batman before deciding I'm just never gonna like Batman, so there's that. Anyway, personally, I'd hate a Marvel reboot and it'd probably make me just drop my Marvel titles. Then I'd be down to... like, Monstress and Black Monday Murders, and I'd only ever need to visit my comic shop once a year!

But I'm still not sure what Legacy is supposed to even be. It's not an event, it's not a reboot, I don't even think they launched that many new titles out of it. So they renumbered a bunch of books (ugh, renumbering) and most books are doing a throwback-y storyline, some more overt than others. Did they really think it would be a big sales driver? The real tragedy is the only lesson they're going to take away from this is "See? This is what "no big linewide events" gets us!" I'd be 100% onboard a new normal where there's, say, always one two-title crossover happening but no more bullshit Heroes Fighting Heroes events making GBS threads up all my "stories" at a time, twice a year.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

How'd that work out for DC? I'm actually asking, I don't follow sales numbers or anything like that. I did get the impression it was poorly received by longtime DC fans. I remember it did make me buy the first three issues of Batman before deciding I'm just never gonna like Batman, so there's that. Anyway, personally, I'd hate a Marvel reboot and it'd probably make me just drop my Marvel titles. Then I'd be down to... like, Monstress and Black Monday Murders, and I'd only ever need to visit my comic shop once a year!

But I'm still not sure what Legacy is supposed to even be. It's not an event, it's not a reboot, I don't even think they launched that many new titles out of it. So they renumbered a bunch of books (ugh, renumbering) and most books are doing a throwback-y storyline, some more overt than others. Did they really think it would be a big sales driver? The real tragedy is the only lesson they're going to take away from this is "See? This is what "no big linewide events" gets us!" I'd be 100% onboard a new normal where there's, say, always one two-title crossover happening but no more bullshit Heroes Fighting Heroes events making GBS threads up all my "stories" at a time, twice a year.

The reboot was extremely successful for DC. Sales eventually bottomed out because they couldn't keep the momentum going, made bad editorial decisions, and released too many low quality books. Still though the reboot lasted 5 years and the universe of that reboot is still going but they have just loosened up continuity a bit to let some of the old stuff leak back in. There were plenty of successful comics in that time period like Snyder's Batman, Azzerello's Wonder Woman, and the various Jeff Lemire books to name a few.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best idea I've seen was in the retailer group. It was suggested that Marvel should just license their entire universe out and let the guys who run Valiant have a crack at it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Pretty well a few times, not so well the second to last time, brought them to #1 for a while the latest time (units not dollars, since Marvel overcharges and the unit lead was slim.)

DC hasn’t only done it once.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Top Gun posted:

Characters and their supporting casts should look and behave similar to their film and show counter parts.

That's been going on for a while though? I mean it's not 1:1 matches, but it's certainly no coincidence that, for example, Jessica Jones got a comic where she's a hot mess and fighting Purple Man soon after her Netflix show featuring Purple Man debuts. I mean there's examples all over the place: Thor reintroduced Malekith when Thor 2 came out, Iron Man's had the villain of his movie show up in at least one quick arc in the comic every time an IM movie has come out (even though there have been not-so-subtle differences like featuring Obadiah Stane and Justin Hammer's kids rather than the men themselves). And surprise surprise, Marvel's next big event concerns the Infinity Gems (except now they're the Infinity Stones because that's what the MCU calls them) right in time for the next Avengers movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They should let that Japanese guy, Akira something, shake things up.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Can't we just have a Secret Civil Wars vs Marvel Universe Infinity Crossover and have the twist be that all the superheroes have been Skrulls this entire time?
e:

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's Akira Yoshida-sensei to you gaijin-san

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

That's been going on for a while though? I mean it's not 1:1 matches, but it's certainly no coincidence that, for example, Jessica Jones got a comic where she's a hot mess and fighting Purple Man soon after her Netflix show featuring Purple Man debuts. I mean there's examples all over the place: Thor reintroduced Malekith when Thor 2 came out, Iron Man's had the villain of his movie show up in at least one quick arc in the comic every time an IM movie has come out (even though there have been not-so-subtle differences like featuring Obadiah Stane and Justin Hammer's kids rather than the men themselves). And surprise surprise, Marvel's next big event concerns the Infinity Gems (except now they're the Infinity Stones because that's what the MCU calls them) right in time for the next Avengers movie.

Corporate synergy is terrible.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Scout for quality writers and pay for good artistry. Hire good editors that aren't caught in the incestuous cic circlejerk.

This is difficult because quality artists are hard to find but that's what they need to do.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC getting Bendis was actually a secret swap.
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/939939266477641728

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That'd be interesting to see.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We need that Iron Man Noir feeling back!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That looks slick on a tablet. I already own Hickman's Avengers in floppies and hardcovers. I just finished my reread last week, and it holds up quite well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

We need that Iron Man Noir feeling back!

That wasn't even Noir.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Well I guess if you're going to start Legacy as a super secret history of The Avengers in the Stone Age you might as well get the man that specialized in writing secret histories of Gotham with Batman I guess.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Finally would have some real diversity at Marvel that's for sure

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

The best idea I've seen was in the retailer group. It was suggested that Marvel should just license their entire universe out and let the guys who run Valiant have a crack at it.

Man, I remember SFDebris' Rise & Fall of The Comic Empire that Shooter came super close to actually buying Marvel at one point (I think the guy who won that bid apparently thought he'd bought DC), which would have been...interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, I remember SFDebris' Rise & Fall of The Comic Empire that Shooter came super close to actually buying Marvel at one point (I think the guy who won that bid apparently thought he'd bought DC), which would have been...interesting.

I was once told that Donald Trump wanted to buy Marvel at some point in the 80s or 90s but haven't seen anything to confirm one way or the other.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/940417858286313472

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's probably fair.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lurdiak posted:

No, he clearly had something in mind, it just wasn't very good. Which is surprising since despite a weak ending, his Thor God of Blood (or whatever the hell it was called) mini was pretty interesting and cool.
I think I was mixing it up with...

Blockhouse posted:

He ditched mid-storyline and Kieron Gillen took over

I sort of mixed them up in my head because of Gillen doing JiM, but that was running concurrently with Fraction's Thor, or was right after it (since it spun out of Fear Itself).

Also Marvel don't need to reboot their Universe, they just need to stop publishing bad comics.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

On a semi-serious note, what would they do to the current crop of X-Men shows?
Legion and The Gifted are both way more expensive(-looking) than Marvels current crop of TV shows, and by not having to operate in that nebulous MCU, they can have all the stupid events they want. Would they even renew them?

Please don't cancel me

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Could Disney/Marvel still release things under the 20th Century Fox banner once they buy it?
Use that as a kinda offshoot MAX thing cause it'd be throwing out the baby with the bathwater to stop the Fox type 'out there' ideas that don't fit in the regular MC/TVU.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 12, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

I'm curious, why is this a good idea? I like a lot of Valiant books too, but the pitch is basically "you know that group of ex-Marvel editors who work with almost the exact same talent pool of writers and artists we do? The ones who have a small line of comics that sell like 1/10th of what ours do? We should totally just let them run things!"

It's like saying the best way for the [a traditionally successful but stumbling sports team] to finally win an [sports championship] is if you just renamed the [stumbling team] to [even less successful team].

UPDATED TO REFLECT THAT I TOTALLY MISREMEMBERED 3-1 MEMES

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 12, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Could Disney/Marvel still release things under the 20th Century Fox banner once they buy it?

Probably. Star Wars films are still released by Lucasfilm.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

It's like saying the best way for the Cleveland Cavaliers to finally win an NBA championship is if you just renamed the New York Knicks the Cavs.

Lmao. Cavs won in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao. Cavs won in 2016.
I'm more of a baseball guy and the Cubs metaphor doesn't work anymore, I hosed up my metaphor. Please accept my apology, Cleveland.

The idea that the way to really turn around Marvel is to get them writers like Greg Pak and Jody Houser and Jeff Lemire still stands.

• Locked thread