Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CGI Stardust posted:

SARS-CoV-2 infection can lead to long COVID

concerning if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DominoKitten posted:

David Sedaris in the New Yorker:

Only your respirator trust.

This is some real psycho poo poo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ColdBlooded posted:

This is some real psycho poo poo

someone taking protective measures that you yourself are not taking is an implicit challenge that you are somehow wrong or mistaken. he didn't care about her, what he cared about was his own approach to managing COVID risk. she acquiesced and so he thinks he was justified.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Psycho Society posted:

im trying to find a new pcp now and I'm very jealous

mine saw my mask and asked if I’d like him to put one on. that’s about as much of a win as I can hope for

edit: and my wife color coordinates her outfit and makeup with respirator

2/2

shazbot has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Jan 31, 2024

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend	Total
Jan 21            -        -        -    + 3,275     ↑ 6.0%     3,275
Jan 14            -        -    2,844      + 246     ↓ 6.9%     3,090
Jan 07            -    3,002      278       + 39    ↓ 10.8%     3,319
Dec 31        3,417      222       73        + 8     ↑ 9.9%     3,720
Dec 24          367       38        9        + 4    ↑ 10.1%     3,385
Thru 2023        93       41       13        + 1              144,380
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Jan 21            -        -        -    + 1,155     ↑ 5.3%     1,155
Jan 14            -        -    1,103        - 6    ↓ 19.6%     1,097
Jan 07            -    1,262       52       + 51    ↓ 10.6%     1,365
Dec 31        1,378       48      100          -     ↑ 4.6%     1,526
Dec 24           79       52       46          -    ↑ 24.4%     1,459
Thru 2023        59        -        -          -               48,211

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Jan 21            -        -        -      + 398     ↑ 0.8%       398
Jan 14            -        -      386        + 9     ↑ 7.9%       395
Jan 07            -      399      -39        + 6    ↓ 15.7%       366
Dec 31          319      116        -        - 1    ↑ 19.2%       434
Dec 24           67       -1        -          -    ↑ 17.0%       364
Thru 2023        -2        -        -          -               14,136
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Jan 21            -        -        -    + 2,478     ↑ 1.1%     2,478
Jan 14            -        -    2,450          -    ↓ 10.7%     2,450
Jan 07            -    2,709       35          -     ↑ 4.3%     2,744
Dec 31        2,632        -        -          -    ↑ 19.0%     2,632
Dec 24            7        -      -21          -    ↑ 19.7%     2,212
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               92,547
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Jan 21            -        -        -      + 259    ↑ 19.4%       259
Jan 14            -        -      217          -    ↓ 18.4%       217
Jan 07            -      266        -          -    ↓ 11.6%       266
Dec 31          301        -        -          -    ↑ 16.2%       301
Dec 24            -        -        -          -    ↑ 15.6%       259
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               10,535
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Jan 21            -        -        -          -         -          -
Jan 14            -        -        -       + 41    ↑ 13.9%        41
Jan 07            -        -       29        + 7     ↑ 2.9%        36
Dec 31            -       29        4        + 2     ↓ 2.8%        35
Dec 24           30        6        -          -     ↓ 2.7%        36
Thru 2023         8        5        1        + 2                1,549
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Death Stranding 2 trailer dropped, new PPE unveiled

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

impressively high-effort yet highly impractical, like alyssa milano's crochet mask

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Zero effort

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

CGI Stardust posted:

just did a quick search, and there's an n=5 case study on Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome developing as a result of COVID

admittedly this is too small to draw any conclusions from, but interesting and worth keeping an eye on

It me, probably.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Fortunately COVID is over.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/united-exec-says-loss-skills-may-have-contributed-boeing-problems-2024-01-30/ posted:

United exec says loss of skills may have contributed to Boeing problems

A senior United Airlines executive highlighted the widespread loss of experience in the aviation industry since the COVID-19 pandemic and said it may have contributed to recent problems at Boeing.

"Experience counts and they need to have a good experienced team righting the ship," Executive Vice President Finance Gerry Laderman told the Airline Economics conference in Dublin.

"Part of the problem for lots of industrial companies is nobody realised the difficulties that we were all going to get hit with as we came out of COVID," Laderman said.

"Principally the supply chain but also a lack of senior people and a lot of retirements: the knowledge base. That impacts everybody, and I think that is part of what happened at Boeing and ... it will take time."
(..)

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

the latest episode of death panel, “masks & symbols”, reminds me of the post/illustration someone in this thread made about how masks represent death in the eyes of an onlooker, but the episode goes a step beyond and argues that liberal find them disgusting because masks now represent an upending of the status quo by way of things such as workers gaining anything at all or any pathetic form of socialized medicine. it was a good episode. this has probably already been talked about. peace.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
west coast back up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kreeningsons posted:

the latest episode of death panel, “masks & symbols”, reminds me of the post/illustration someone in this thread made about how masks represent death in the eyes of an onlooker, but the episode goes a step beyond and argues that liberal find them disgusting because masks now represent an upending of the status quo by way of things such as workers gaining anything at all or any pathetic form of socialized medicine. it was a good episode. this has probably already been talked about. peace.

It’s paywalled and therefore dead to me.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i was fortunate that I could justify the death panel subscription with the cost savings I gained from joining a fake family spotify plan in sa-mart

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Seems like homelessness is going to increase in LA, as I'm gonna venture a wild guess here and say I don't think anyone is able to pay back 1½ years worth of rent. If you or anyone you know are in the position, there are some links in the article:

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/resources-offered-to-renters-as-covid-era-eviction-protection-comes-to-an-end/ posted:

Resources offered to renters as COVID-era eviction protection comes to an end

Many renters across the city of Los Angeles will face new burdens to remain housed beginning Thursday, as Feb. 1 is the deadline to repay rent owed during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Renters are expected to pay back rent accrued between Oct. 1, 2021, and Jan. 31, 2023, and those unable to pay could face eviction notices.
(..)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pingui posted:

Fortunately COVID is over.

those folks were all retiring regardless but COVID definitely didn't help.

basically anyone with a pension (re: the folks who know what the gently caress is going on) retired before their payouts got slashed. it was a move engineered by the company to save money while assuming the risks involved.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.

pre:
Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Jan-24	UP	   + 65%
Mason		Biobot	(4)	Jan-27	DOWN	   - 30%
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Jan-25	DOWN	   - 20%
Skagit		MV	(1)	Jan-25	STEADY	   ±  4%
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Jan-25	DOWN	   - 40%
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP	(1)	Jan-26	DOWN	   - 35%
Island		OH	(1)	Jan-26	UP	   + 30%
Snohomish	APP	(1)	Jan-25	STEADY	   ±  3%
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Jan-25	STEADY	   ±  8%
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Jan-24	UP	   + 45%
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Jan-24	DOWN	   - 10%
Snohomish	256	(3)	Jan-26	UP	   + 30%
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]
King		BWT	(1)	Jan-24	UP	   + 25%
King		KCS	(1)	Jan-24	UP	   + 15%
King		WSPT	(1)	Jan-23	UP	   + 75%
South Puget Sound & Southwest

pre:
South Puget Sound & Southwest
Clark		MRPK	(1)	Jan-24	DOWN	   - 30%
Clark		SNCK	(1)	Jan-23	DOWN	   - 15%
Clark		VWS	(1)	Jan-24	DOWN	   - 30%
Lewis		Biobot	(4)	Jan-27	DOWN	   - 10%
Pierce		CC	(1)	Jan-26	DOWN	   - 25%
Pierce		PUY	(1)	Jan-25	DOWN	   - 25%
Thurston	LOTT	(1)	Jan-24	DOWN	   - 30%
North & South Central Wash.

pre:
North & South Central Wash.
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Jan-25	DOWN	   - 30%
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Jan-25	UP	   + 25%
Grant		EPH	(1)	Jan-24	DOWN	   - 35%
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Jan-22	DOWN	   - 75%
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Jan-25	DOWN	   - 75%
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Jan-25	DOWN	   - 25%
Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Jan-26	DOWN	   - 15%
Spokane		RP	(1)	Jan-26	DOWN	   - 35%
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Jan-26	STEADY	   ±  7%
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Jan-25	UP	   + 15%
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Jan-26	DOWN	   - 40%
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and 7-Day Change (approx. amount the trend has increased or decreased).

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

References with links to details on y-axis units, normalization protocols, data limitations, and sampling methods:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are there any more studies/anything more known about benadryl and long covid? I read a guy on reddit suggest it for cognitive symptoms and just popped two tablets and like magic the slight symptoms I've had for like 10 months now seem to be gone. I don't want to take this long term though, what with the dementia links and all

https://www.reddit.com/r/covidlonghaulers/comments/18widxw/nmda_receptor_antagonism_a_light_in_the_tunnel/kfy3pr8/

Claritin does nothing, for comparison

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Feb 1, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
that’s really weird, with the dementia concerns the last thing I would expect Benadryl to do is clear up brain fog

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

More specifically, aphasia-type symptoms like this guy, although not as bad as him from his description, plus some slight brain fog

https://www.reddit.com/r/covidlonghaulers/comments/vnbk0v/neuro_aphasia/

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Are there any more studies/anything more known about benadryl and long covid? I read a guy on reddit suggest it for cognitive symptoms and just popped two tablets and like magic the slight symptoms I've had for like 10 months now seem to be gone. I don't want to take this long term though, what with the dementia links and all

https://www.reddit.com/r/covidlonghaulers/comments/18widxw/nmda_receptor_antagonism_a_light_in_the_tunnel/kfy3pr8/

Claritin does nothing, for comparison

Not benadryl specifically, but this is a post talking about mast cell activation being a kind of long COVID which can be alleviated with antibiotics, with some links to paper citations, and lists of the types of antihistamines to try. I don't know enough about it to say if it makes sense or not at this point in time.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Yeah, specifically stuff like reactive inflammatory arthritis (that you need medication which costs around 14k a pop to treat lmao, though insurance and drug manufacturer programs will offset most of that. Still expensive either way. Yay American health care). COVID seems to have a penchant for activating dormant autoimmune diseases. Trauma/stress/viral illnesses/etc. apparently tend to kick-start them. I'm currently being treated for psoriatic arthritis due to ongoing pain in multiple joints + chronic tendonitis, but I'm getting differing diagnoses from each doctor I visit, so who knows at this point? She speculated it was long COVID-related since I don't fit neatly into the textbook diagnostic criteria, but we ruled that out since my symptoms began before being infected.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10311574/

It's interesting you bring this up - I was recently diagnosed with HSD by the last rheumatologist I saw (only a 4 on the Beighton scale though, so no hEDS) and have a bunch of related symptoms that never before manifested in my life until about 6 months after I got COVID. Mainly joint cracking, tendon snapping, etc. all over my body in addition to muscle tightness that may be inducing joint pain in my knees as a result of attempting to stabilize my loose patellas (these were not part of my initial symptoms). It could be purely coincidental and it's just the natural aging process + the genetic predisposition finally causing it to create problems in my body, or it's just the further development of some inflammatory arthritis. I've also read people who are hypermobile are more at risk for developing long COVID for some reason.

i've also been dealing w arthritis type pains, mostly in wrists ankles and knees. might want to try berberine seems to help a bit. i take a supplement sometimes and got some dried barberries i put in my oatmeal they're pretty tasty kinda like cranberry

The gut microbiota modulator berberine ameliorates collagen-induced arthritis in rats by facilitating the generation of butyrate and adjusting the intestinal hypoxia and nitrate supply posted:

The theory that bacteria are involved in the initiation and progression of RA dates back to the 19th century when the relationship of RA and tuberculosis was noticed, and RA was suggested to be caused by the infection of Mycobacterium (45, 46). Recently, the gut-joint-axis hypothesis has been supported by the findings that 20% of patients with inflammatory bowel disease have recurrent episodes of peripheral arthritis. However, these observations have not yet resulted in practical pharmaceutical development (47). In this study, using berberine as a tool, we illustrated how gut microbiota modulators ameliorate RA and explored a possible new avenue for the development of antiarthritic medication based on the gut-joint-axis hypothesis.

On the basis that the overlap between microbial genes in rats and humans is larger than between mice and humans and that 97% of the functional pathways in the human catalog are present in the rat catalog (48), we here established an experimental arthritis model in rats rather than mice to obtain more convincing conclusions. According to the results of metagenomic shotgun sequencing and a metagenome-wide association study, patients with RA exhibit gut microbiota dysbiosis (7, 8, 49). Similar to the structural differences between patients with RA and healthy people, our sequencing results also showed a distinct microbiota structure clustering between normal and CIA rats. Furthermore, the observation that the relative abundance of Lactobacillus is higher in patients with early RA (50, 51) was also shown to be significant in gut microbiota of CIA rats. Another acknowledged characteristic of gut microbiota in patients with RA is the increased abundance of Prevotella (52). However, we did not notice a significant increase in the abundance of this genus in the gut microbiota of CIA rats. In general, though not identically matched, the changes in the gut microbiota of CIA rats are similar to patients with RA. Thus, our primary exploration of antiarthritic effects of gut microbiota modulators was conducted on the animal model of rat CIA.

Herein, we provided data that showed that berberine failed to alleviate symptoms of arthritis once the gut microbiota was disturbed by broad-spectrum ATMs, indicating that the antiarthritic effect of berberine was dependent on a modulation of the gut microbiota. The fact that broad-spectrum ATMs failed to influence the antiarthritic effect of leflunomide indicated that leflunomide, distinct from berberine, functions in a manner that is independent of the gut microbiome. Interestingly, although both ATMs and berberine could down-regulate the richness of the gut microbiota, the ATMs failed to suppress arthritis in rats. This may be related to the differences in the antibacterial spectrum. In the current study, the ATMs treatment consisted of vancomycin, gentamycin, and metronidazole, which are common antibiotics that inhibit the growth of Gram-positive, Gram-negative, and anaerobic bacteria, respectively. Because vancomycin and gentamycin show low oral absorption, supplementing the drinking water with a solution of the combined antibiotics could guarantee a broad-spectrum antibiotic effect on gut microbiota. However, berberine showed a selective ATM effect, and bacteria such as Butyricicoccus were not inhibited by berberine. Consistent with the opinions of other investigators (53), the selective inhibition of gut bacteria, rather than a broad-spectrum inhibition, might be beneficial for arthritis.

Anti‐inflammatory and immune‐modulatory impacts of berberine on activation of autoreactive T cells in autoimmune inflammation posted:

Growing evidence witnessed by the in vitro and in vivo experimental studies reveals that berberine has the potential to ameliorate destructive autoreactive inflammation in autoimmune conditions (Figure 3). Berberine can directly suppress pro‐inflammatory responses of Th1 and Th17 cells by inhibiting the function and differentiation of these cells, mechanistically, through hampering STAT and RORγt signalling pathways. Berberine is also found to indirectly decrease Th cell‐mediated inflammation through modulating or suppressing other cells assisting autoreactive inflammation, such as Tregs, DCs and macrophages. Imbalance of Treg/Th17 cells is an important hallmark of autoimmune disorders, and berberine has been found to induce differentiation of Tregs in autoimmune conditions through two distinct mechanisms, directly by modulation of naïve CD4+ T cells’ differentiation and indirectly by affecting pattern of the gut microbiota. Also, berberine can decrease survival and inflammatory functions of DCs through inducing apoptosis and inhibiting co‐stimulatory molecules and inflammatory cytokine secretion, which is accompanied with a reduction of Th1/Th17 population and amelioration of the severity and progression of autoimmune complications. Likewise, berberine treatment can elevate the population of anti‐inflammatory M2 macrophages and suppress M1 macrophages producing pro‐inflammatory cytokines, resulting in amelioration of autoreactive T‐cell responses in autoimmune disorders. To our knowledge, all reported ameliorating effects of berberine on T cell‐mediated autoimmune inflammation are based on preclinical and cell culture investigations. Hence, further investigations are required to determine the clinical efficiency of berberine in patients with autoimmunity.

Immunomodulatory effects of berberine on the inflamed joint reveal new therapeutic targets for rheumatoid arthritis management posted:

2. BERBERINE; A POTENTIAL ADJUVANT FOR RA MANAGEMENT
Natural product derivatives found in plant extracts interact with biological systems in interesting ways. The majority of today's therapeutically important drugs are based on the structure of natural products. When a natural product shows an inhibitory effect on the severity and progression of a disease, evaluating its molecular targets can assist to improve understanding of key underlying molecular mechanisms of the disease pathogenesis and thus explore potential therapeutic targets for developing new drugs and reliable assessment tools. Berberine is one such natural products that have been frequently investigated for pharmacological effects in the various disease condition, such as cancer, diabetes, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases and thereby are found to have several biological activities including antioxidant, anti‐tumorigenic, anti‐hyperlipidemic, anti‐inflammatory and immunosuppressive effects. 14 , 15 , 16 , 17 , 18 , 19
There is growing evidence that berberine can ameliorate adjuvant‐induced arthritis (AIA) and/or collagen‐induced arthritis (CIA) in experimental animals witnessed through the immunomodulatory effects and the suppression of numbers of inflammatory signalling cascades involved in the joint inflammation and bone destruction. In the present review, details regarding the current evidence on the therapeutic impacts of berberine on RA pathogenesis, together with the mechanisms of action, are covered. Importantly, the findings can reveal new potential therapeutic targets for RA management.

2.1. In vivo effects of berberine on clinical symptoms in experimental models of RA
Several lines of in vivo studies show that berberine can exert anti‐inflammatory and/or immunosuppressive effects and thus alleviate disease progression and severity in animals with AIA and CIA. Among the established experimental models of human RA, AIA and CIA models are the most commonly used standard ones, reflecting a number of clinical characteristics of RA in humans, including inflammation with swelling of the joints, proliferation of synovial tissue and destruction of cartilage and bone. Overall, joint lesions of AIA are most severe and consistent, while structural and immunological changes of CIA best resemble RA. 20 , 21 Berberine has been found to reduce the intensity and incidence of CIA and AIA in rodents. Histologic analysis of joints from rodents with CIA or AIA indicated severe proliferation and hyperplasia of the synovium, with significant infiltration of inflammatory cells, pannus formation, narrowing of joint space, cartilage damage and bone erosion. Of note, berberine treatment inhibited these pathologic events and improved the joint rigidity in both CIA 22 , 23 , 24 and AIA 25 , 26 , 27 , 28 , 29 models.
Of note, berberine treatment caused a significant reduction in the level of anti‐CII (type II collagen) IgG in CIA rats. 22 , 23 Moreover, berberine decreased the production of inflammatory cytokines IFN γ, IL‐17 and IL‐2 by collagen‐stimulated splenocytes. 22 These findings exhibit that berberine can exert anti‐arthritic effects through suppressing both the humoral and cell‐mediated immune responses. 22 The progression of joint destruction, bone loss and uncontrolled proliferation of synoviocytes in RA are mainly mediated by pro‐inflammatory mediators circulating in the bloodstream and synovial fluid. 30 In CIA rats, the levels of pro‐inflammatory mediators RANKL, TNF‐α, IL17, IL‐6 and IL‐1β were indicated to be increased in the blood and synovium, and berberine treatment significantly diminished the levels. 24 Similarly, berberine treatment decreased plasma levels of these proinflammatory mediators in AIA rats, which was accompanied with considerable suppression of pathological inflammatory signs and events in the joint. 25 , 27 , 28 Further studies on AIA rats showed that berberine reduced bone loss and increased calcium retainability by reducing the proteolytic activity of osteoclasts through reducing RANKL release in the joint region, 28 together with a reduction in the just‐mentioned pro‐inflammatory cytokines. 25 , 27 , 28
Importantly, berberine could significantly decrease microvessel density and pannus formation in synovial tissues and thereby prevent cartilage destruction and bone erosion in both CIA and AIA models.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Regarding the news story “Expired Pfizer COVID antiviral drugs set to cost Europe $2.2 billion”,

quote:

Eh, I think a lot of wastage is to be expected in a pandemic. Europe, particularly the EU, was scarred by jab shortages and thus prone to overcorrection.

quote:

Its nuts that they didn't do more to encourage more people to take it though, since even younger and otherwise perfectly healthy people can benefit from reduction of symptoms and quicker recovery times. Or, hell, give more doses to people who are more likely to have Paxlovid rebound.

quote:

I don't know what else governments could do to encourage to take it honestly. At some point, if a person had not taken it, it was a conscious choice and they won't be defied on their stubbornness.

/r/neoliberal

You’ve heard it, Europeans: if you don’t seize Paxlovid, that’s on you.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Regarding the news story “Expired Pfizer COVID antiviral drugs set to cost Europe $2.2 billion”,

/r/neoliberal

You’ve heard it, Europeans: if you don’t seize Paxlovid, that’s on you.

That would require some kind of heist and to be honest, that seems like a lot more work than wearing a mask :sigh:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

distinct microbiota structure clustering between normal and CIA rats

i'm sorry, they got a what now

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

maxwellhill posted:

i'm sorry, they got a what now

I knew they were getting into long covid communities!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I am currently watching the WHO COVID-19 live update and I think this about sums it up (live poll on participants):

Link if anyone else is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34G7JUxOFf4

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pingui posted:

I am currently watching the WHO COVID-19 live update and I think this about sums it up (live poll on participants):

Link if anyone else is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34G7JUxOFf4

All WHO knows how to do these days is wash hand, eat Vaccin, and lie

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Why is farming on up there? I'm hoping they meant that they're 100% completely disconnected from society and grow their own food which is a bit too hardcore for me but I totally respect that.

But they more likely meant that all they're doing is eating "organic" and "clean" food 😞

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
man I should have been credentialed high enough to be shielded from being wrong most of the time.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Seems like homelessness is going to increase in LA, as I'm gonna venture a wild guess here and say I don't think anyone is able to pay back 1½ years worth of rent. If you or anyone you know are in the position, there are some links in the article:

This sort of thing is why US media has had a full court press going during the past two years to dehumanize the homeless; to soften up the public for shoveling evictees into a hole

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hey remember that tweet I posted about finding a single sample of that thing with over 140 mutations?

They found more

https://twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1752996491948327126

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Hey remember that tweet I posted about finding a single sample of that thing with over 140 mutations?

They found more
(..)

Nothing to concern yourself about citizen, ZA isn't seeing it increase in their extensive genomic sequencing.
https://twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1752996508578783363

See? Not a single time in the ~20 samples since the middle of December :)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

They found more

https://twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1752996491948327126

Pingui posted:

Nothing to concern yourself about citizen, ZA isn't seeing it increase in their extensive genomic sequencing.
https://twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1752996508578783363

See? Not a single time in the ~20 samples since the middle of December :)

I can't quite put my finger on it but this is feeling weeeeeeeirdly familiar

Eh, it's probably nothing :) What's the worst that could happen lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've had some weird rear end sore throat that turned into a permanent lump in throat sensation and/or weird tightness in my neck. Dr was just like "Sounds like an upper respiratory infection." I mean fair enough, but how the gently caress did I catch one if I wear an Aura even to wheel the trash cans out?

Anyway, first step in getting an ENT referral if it sticks around so going in wasn't a waste. But I'm sure I seem crazy thinking a common cold (or whatever virus) is something weird now, since for most people that's a simple explanation but for me now it doesn't make a lot of sense how it could happen.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

a lady I work with has had a constant (every two to three minutes) deep hacking cough for months now. I’ve suggested she wear a mask and she responds with ‘no no, I’m fine.’ she’s said her doctor told it’s ’just a lot of viruses around’

hmm yes

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

(..)
’just a lot of viruses around’
(..)

:hai: Inside her body.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
BA.2.X gon give it to ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's not that a big deal. It's not like they found a sample overseas in another country. If that happens, then maybe it's a concern.