Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

hi what's the name of the game where you all play as the voices inside of a guys head and have secret desires you try to get him to do to get points? a kind of competetive lightweight rp game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Pladdicus posted:

hi what's the name of the game where you all play as the voices inside of a guys head and have secret desires you try to get him to do to get points? a kind of competetive lightweight rp game?

Everyone is John?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

thank u

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kestral posted:

To bring EQchat back around to RPGs in a roundabout way, and explain what I meant by how it needs a decent adaptation, if you like generational stories or stories taking place over an immense span of time, you should check it out. There's not a lot of stories anywhere that have characters grow up, have children, grow old, and then we watch their kids do the same, and it's really compelling. There's a reason people love Downton Abbey, Centennial, and The Silmarillion.

In the RPG space, Pendragon does this, the generational play is core to the system, but it's so difficult to execute well that I struggle to think of another game that has tried to mechanize it. A good EQ RPG would embrace this, let you play out adventures or a whole campaign in one generation's heyday, then roll history forward and see in a mechanical way how your actions affected those who come after you - and then you pick up those characters whose lives have been shaped by your earlier characters' actions, and you play those people. Repeat as many times as you like.

There was an ElfQuest RPG from Chaosium in 1984, based on the Runequest/Basic Roleplaying ruleset, that was actually pretty good and had some original art from Wendy Pini. It even had some supplements released for it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
https://twitter.com/producerlizz/status/1778079943806652707?t=glfBK2zovr6XyTzeGCI5TA&s=19

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I hope that person answers the latest RP slack scheduling post.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There was an ElfQuest RPG from Chaosium in 1984, based on the Runequest/Basic Roleplaying ruleset, that was actually pretty good and had some original art from Wendy Pini. It even had some supplements released for it.

Indeed! I own it, actually used some of the Chaosium material to run an EQ Ironsworn game, but the Chaosium system never felt like it was doing the source material justice. An ElfQuest RPG that doesn't mechanize how you feel about other people and how love and compassion (and poisonous, seething hatred) gives you strength is missing a hand, if not a heart. I've spent way too much time over the years wondering how you could handle Recognition, for example - and in a generational game you'd have to.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Strange, that description makes it sound like they should have used Pendragon.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm playtesting it now and it's evolving a lot but it's in good hands and going in the right direction. Arc Dream has an open call for future playtesters but I suspect it's still a ways off from a wider scale playtest.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd9cS127thVUuLbOAbag5zYRgnag7nfYas2sDgfNp9DZU0isg/viewform?usp=send_form

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

Indeed! I own it, actually used some of the Chaosium material to run an EQ Ironsworn game, but the Chaosium system never felt like it was doing the source material justice. An ElfQuest RPG that doesn't mechanize how you feel about other people and how love and compassion (and poisonous, seething hatred) gives you strength is missing a hand, if not a heart. I've spent way too much time over the years wondering how you could handle Recognition, for example - and in a generational game you'd have to.

Feels like maybe you could introduce (different) bonds to help alleviate RQ's mechanics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of the Fatal & Friends writeups, I’m reading the one on Wizards Presents: Races and Classes, and it’s remarkable how insistent the 4e designers were on making playable races conventionally attractive-looking. It’s overt to a degree that would definitely cause some controversy if it was written today. For example, we’re told that female dwarves are “strong, sensual, earthy, and feminine, with an exotic beauty that no one would think to splash a beard on,” and that male elves are “not effeminate.”

Definitely a bit silly though generally otherwise I feel the two Wizards Presents preview books for 4e were fantastic little things and for years if I was coming up with a fantasy setting and didn't have something more specific in mind I'd go back to a lot of the ideas laid out in those books as the baseline(and sometimes still uses bits and pieces from there even though I've broadened my inspirations since then)

Glazius posted:

It makes a little sense given what they were going for. Elves have always kind of been woodsy elves and sparkly elves in simultaneous superposition, and 4E tried to separate that by making the sparkly elves into eladrin, leaving the remaining elves 100% woodsy. You want them all looking a bit red in tooth and claw, as it were.

The Eldarin/Sylvan Elf split was one of the many good ideas 4e had and thus I was definitely disappointed that 5e went back to the more generic take on Elves(this can be said about a LOT of things they did in 5e that made it so loving bland and generic feeling compared to 4e but at least for the core book races it felt most noticeable for Elves)

theironjef posted:

There are so many species that the world only makes sense as like a Samurai Jack pastiche. Like no one species has more than one chunk of land to themselves, and most have at least one nearby mortal enemy species unique to them. So everywhere you go it's like "Ah, you have entered the land of the noble Hergolbs. They are proud and forthright. However, within the shadowed swamps of their land reside the Nerbolts. They are savage, cruel, and hate all art and culture. But hey, if you turn left and walk fifty feet well now you're in Ushmi territory! They're forthright and proud! Shame about the sky Flarches that hate them, and also all culture and art."

Both Talislanta and Samurai Jack are works that in turn take inspiration from a long and really old tradition from the early days of Fantasy and Sci-Fi where yeah you would just cram a setting with a million different things, you see it in the Oz stories, in Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, Barsoom, and so on

Asterite34 posted:

I would say it would be interesting to do a take on fantasy elves that are more Santa's Workshop elves or magic shoemaker fairy tale elves (or possibly Keebler elves) but that's basically the niche filled by D&D gnomes now, isn't it

D&D fantasy setting inspired by most of the old Rankin Bass specials would probably be pretty kickass actually

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

drrockso20 posted:

D&D fantasy setting inspired by most of the old Rankin Bass specials would probably be pretty kickass actually

There's a DCC holiday adventure based on those old Christmas specials, and it's amazing. I ran it as a one off "dream" adventure in my last 5e campaign and my players loved it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Flight Of Dragons RPG when

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hyphz posted:

Flight Of Dragons RPG when

ugh, the skill list would be so long. algebra, astronomy, anatomy, biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics, meteorology...i can feel myself turning to dust reading it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The Eldarin/Sylvan Elf split was one of the many good ideas 4e had and thus I was definitely disappointed that 5e went back to the more generic take on Elves(this can be said about a LOT of things they did in 5e that made it so loving bland and generic feeling compared to 4e but at least for the core book races it felt most noticeable for Elves)

Was turning one two-note race into two one-note races really an improvement? :v:

I generally agree that 5e lore is bad, though, for much the same reason 5e mechanics are bad: there's no particular vision behind it. Well, I guess in the case of the mechanics the apparent lack of vision is the vision; it's a game for people with different tastes to play as a compromise, basically. (Which doesn't excuse the sloppiness regarding details.) I don't think 5e lore is generally defensible even on that level, though; it's just low-effort.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Doc Hawkins posted:

ugh, the skill list would be so long. algebra, astronomy, anatomy, biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics, meteorology...i can feel myself turning to dust reading it.

Just take the Person Of Science feat and get them all. Somehow. The only one you actually have to RP is high school physics.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

Was turning one two-note race into two one-note races really an improvement? :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Since Fallout is back, what is the most Fallout TRPG

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

There is an actual licensed Fallout tRPG made by Modiphus, but I’ve heard mixed reviews

But I’ve had good results with Apocalypse World

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gradenko_2000 posted:

One with early 90s nostalgia value and an enormous quantity of mods, so I'm guessing GURPS or World of Darkness.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

The recently-released official Fallout RPG?

Nessus posted:

One with early 90s nostalgia value and an enormous quantity of mods, so I'm guessing GURPS or World of Darkness.
Using GURPS for Fallout would be a perfectly comical way to bring everything full circle.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Depends on what you're after

For Fallout 1 and 2 you could try GURPS (what they originally wanted to use) or BRP (closer to what they ended up with) or some other game from the 1990s.

For NV you could use Sawyer's Fallout RPG, which I think is what the New Vegas devs used when they ran the campaign that NV is based on.

For Fallout 3 or 4 you could use the official 2d20 Fallout. I've never heard anyone say a kind word about the game, but everyone agrees that it's strongly based on the Bethesda Fallouts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mellonbread posted:

For Fallout 3 or 4 you could use the official 2d20 Fallout. I've never heard anyone say a kind word about the game, but everyone agrees that it's strongly based on the Bethesda Fallouts.
But you repeat yourself

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

mellonbread posted:

Fallout 2d20's greatest sin is that it has too much of Fallout's mechanics in it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

Fallout 2d20's greatest sin is that it has too much of Fallout's mechanics in it.
This could mean anything from "there are seven core statistics, but only three of them matter" to "every dialogue is resolved with a yes, no, or sarcastic option"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mellonbread posted:

This could mean anything from "there are seven core statistics, but only three of them matter" to "every dialogue is resolved with a yes, no, or sarcastic option"

Hrm, an rpg where your three stats are

YES
NO
SARCASTIC OPTION

could be interesting

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nuns with Guns posted:

YES
NO
SARCASTIC OPTION

could be interesting

That would be fantastic, I'd love to see somebody specialized in Sarcastic Option combat.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

hm, some kind of three stat rpg, you say

we could call it, Three-Stat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Triangle Stategy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kwyndig posted:

That would be fantastic, I'd love to see somebody specialized in Sarcastic Option combat.

Finally, I can make Sarcastro.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I got a worrying message today.

A fan site for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying said they couldn't add my retroclone because "it's an SRD of a SRD" nd "the cortex guys weren't happy there was a SRD based on their SRD."

Which, one, what SRD? I thought they never finished that.

Two, while I know my work isn't infringing, it got me a little worried. Like, am I gonna get a C&D?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

I got a worrying message today.

A fan site for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying said they couldn't add my retroclone because "it's an SRD of a SRD" nd "the cortex guys weren't happy there was a SRD based on their SRD."

Which, one, what SRD? I thought they never finished that.

Two, while I know my work isn't infringing, it got me a little worried. Like, am I gonna get a C&D?

Really, that's a question you should be asking them. Not confrontationally, just because IIRC you made this because you couldn't find an MHR SRD. If you have an actual MWP Cortex one, isn't that good for you too?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's no SRD on the Cortex Prime website, you can buy the rules on the website but there's no free version of the rules. Fandom might have had an SRD but there's no currently available one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Glazius posted:

Really, that's a question you should be asking them. Not confrontationally, just because IIRC you made this because you couldn't find an MHR SRD. If you have an actual MWP Cortex one, isn't that good for you too?

Well, depends on the license. I mean, if it's another "you can't make LGBTQA+ material" and "we own any IPs you make" license, then "no."

But, if it's a good license, sure.

But I already asked some people closer to this then me and they have no idea what they're talking about. The closest thing was an incomplete SRD released in 2018 only to backers with no license.

Edit: Actually, that isn't an SRD either. The incomplete SRD was renamed the "codex" to avoid any social baggage of a SRD. I forgot about that. No Cortex SRD exists.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 12, 2024

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, the social baggage is people conflating a “System Reference Document” with an “open license”. They’re not the same thing but 95% of the time they’re hand in hand, so social expectations get weird.

There’s no SRD but the Cortex Prime Handbook is identical to one except for the license bit, and can be used to rebuild Marvel Heroic pretty casually. It’s clearly meant to be the toolkit to rebuild the out of print games, and it’s currently for sale and in print.

But, as noted, if you’re worried about a C&D you should reach out to the author of the system, who is still employed making stuff for the system and active on social media.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doc Hawkins posted:

hm, some kind of three stat rpg, you say

we could call it, Three-Stat

I had an idea for a Judge Dredd RPG once upon a time, where you had three stats governing physical, mental, and social tests. They were "I am," "the law," and ">scowl<"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

law-sers and feelings

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nuns with Guns posted:

YES
NO
SARCASTIC OPTION

could be interesting

Alpha Protocol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doc Hawkins posted:

law-sers and feelings

Lawgivers and Feelings?

Actually that's pretty much the central theme of a lot of Judge Dredd stories. He loves nothing more than when he can give out deserved and poetic justice.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gtrmp posted:

Alpha Protocol

Bond, Bourne, Bauer