Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

joey deere posted:

There's a TSB for this, and the brake creak.

Yeah I've seen those and I wasn't super bothered enough to go take it in. I'm going to sell my NC now though, probably to CarMax. Think they'll care about those issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Before

After

It made a large difference. Now I just need to deaden the inside of the parcel shelf and the rest of the trunk and then hopefully most of the drone will be gone. Putting 3 layers of the stuff int he recessed part of the trunk definitely made a difference with the drone.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
Has anyone else had a problem with a resonator weld breaking? On Sunday as I was backing out of my driveway the exhaust pipe decided it didn't want to be attached any more. It was also right at a hanger.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

rowebot44 posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with a resonator weld breaking? On Sunday as I was backing out of my driveway the exhaust pipe decided it didn't want to be attached any more. It was also right at a hanger.

Yes. Mine failed there in the middle of an autocross run. I kept making runs after that. I replaced my cat back with a new OEM peice at cost. (Goooo MazdaSpeed racer discount.)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Savington posted:

With a torque wrench. This question disturbs me a bit, though; you may want to have a shop do this if you don't know how tight your lugnuts should be.

I can borrow one. What setting should I use? I'm also confused about the sizing: The wheels are 17x7.5 Enkei RPF-1s, and the lug pattern is 5-114. The sizes I'm seeing are different, like 14mm X 2.0 or 1/2" X 20. What size do I need? Thanks. I'm also kind of pissed the nuts that came with the Enkeis started rusting almost immediately.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think the stock spec on lugs for the NA is 60 ft-lbs, but I usually keep it hand tight. I can only assume that my lugs are sitting between 70 and 80 ft-lbs.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Dominoes posted:

I can borrow one. What setting should I use? I'm also confused about the sizing: The wheels are 17x7.5 Enkei RPF-1s, and the lug pattern is 5-114. The sizes I'm seeing are different, like 14mm X 2.0 or 1/2" X 20. What size do I need? Thanks. I'm also kind of pissed the nuts that came with the Enkeis started rusting almost immediately.
How are you putting those on our 4x100 hubs :psyduck:

edit: Ah, you have an NC and your lugs are rusting already? What the gently caress?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

destructo posted:

edit: Ah, you have an NC and your lugs are rusting already? What the gently caress?

Tell me about it. It's not the stock lugs, it's the ones that came with the aftermarket wheels. The wheels look great, but the lugs are a huge eyesore.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oil change on a 94 NA... how? I have ramps, and it looks like I can't get at the filter from underneath the car or through the wheel well.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Phone posted:

Oil change on a 94 NA... how? I have ramps, and it looks like I can't get at the filter from underneath the car or through the wheel well.

Ways to get to the filter:
1) from underneath (be careful not to get hot oil all over your arm/body/face)
2) from the wheel well. either turn the wheels as far as they will go or just remove the wheel
3) from the top. wear gloves so you dont burn your hand. it looks hard to do but isnt that bad

I've done it all three ways and prefer #3

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

2) from the wheel well. either turn the wheels as far as they will go or just remove the wheel
3) from the top. wear gloves so you dont burn your hand. it looks hard to do but isnt that bad

Personally I prefer method 2, with removing the front-passenger wheel. I've already got the front of the car on jack stands, so removing the wheel adds a minute of work time, and makes filter removal/installation easy as pie.

I don't know about your car, but on mine there is literally no way to get at the filter from the top. I've tried, and it's just not going to happen. I even have small hands. There's way too much stuff in the way.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I only have a scissor jack, and even though I keep a cinderblock with a piece of wood right next to the scissor, I don't trust it enough to go under the car for any significant amount of time.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Once I figured out how to get the oil filter off, I can do it in a few minutes.

Jack the right front up and support the car with a jack-stand. Gloves are helpful since the oil should be warm.

Lay on your stomach facing toward the rear of the car. Stick your right arm through the subframe and try to get the oil filter off by hand. If it was put on properly the last time, you shouldn't need a wrench.

Oil is going to get all over the subframe so just have a pan ready.

Make sure the oil filter seal comes off with the oil filter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

I've done all three myself as well...I prefer #3 for my '99, where for whatever reason #2 is difficult. It's the opposite on my sister-in-law's '95, where I much prefer #2 and #3 is a pain.

I'm actually due up for an oil change, I'm going to send a sample in to Blackstone to see if I can go longer than 5k on 0w30 Mobil1.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just read this story. It's a few days old, but it doesn't appear to have been posted.

Autocar posted:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Mazda-MX-5/234584/

Mazda’s design boss has told Autocar that the company is planning a radical rethink of the MX-5.

“The next MX-5 needs to be a big step,” Lauren Van den Acker said. “The last one was too conservative and we can’t do another car like that. We need to make it more dramatic and give it some balls.”

However, Van den Acker admitted that nothing would be done to change the MX-5’s core character. The fourth-generation car, due to appear in around 2012, will still be a no-nonsense small rear-drive roadster, albeit probably lighter and more fuel-efficient than the current model.

Another senior Mazda designer told us that while there has been lots of internal debate about the future of the company’s iconic roadster, no final decision has yet been taken on what it will look like. “Last time round [designing the current car] we came up with lots of radical proposals and we may reignite one of those,” said our insider. Another Mazda designer admitted that the intention was for the MX-5 to stop being completely different from the rest of the line-up, hinting that the likes of the Kazarai concept car will influence its design.

In the meantime the current MX-5 will have at least one facelift before it is replaced. Leaked patent documents showed recently that the forthcoming visual makeover is a very minor one. It will make its official debut at the Paris motor show in October.

I think Mazda may be in the right to take the design of the Miata in a new direction while keeping the core of the car grounded as a small, light, nimble, RWD roadster. I think a lot of the design cues from Mazda's latest concepts are loving hot, so I'm really excited to see what comes of the ND Miata. If it's actually lighter than the NC and they "give it some balls" all while increasing fuel efficiency, Mazda could really be hitting a home run.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Guinness posted:

Just read this story. It's a few days old, but it doesn't appear to have been posted.

I think Mazda may be in the right to take the design of the Miata in a new direction while keeping the core of the car grounded as a small, light, nimble, RWD roadster. I think a lot of the design cues from Mazda's latest concepts are loving hot, so I'm really excited to see what comes of the ND Miata. If it's actually lighter than the NC and they "give it some balls" all while increasing fuel efficiency, Mazda could really be hitting a home run.
Can't wait for this, I want something so beautiful that we can put it next to these two (because goddamn, the NC was ugly from the front, and the NB wasn't anything special in that direction either).

destructo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 3, 2008

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Guinness posted:

They should have done this a long time ago. I never understood why they couldn't give it more power, improve the looks and offer a tighter suspension from the factory: It would be an absolute killer, but instead it's been neutered from the start. I love the way my car looks compared to most, but the RX7 picture destructo posted above shows that Mazda knows how to make a really good looking car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

destructo posted:

Can't wait for this, I want something so beautiful that we can put it next to these two (because goddamn, the NC was ugly from the front, and the NB wasn't anything special in that direction either).

And yet, in my opinion, at least from the back the NB is far and away the one that looks more like a 9/10 FD, while the NA doesn't quite give me the same impression.

I don't think the Miata needs a shitload of power, since after all it's the Miata and not the RX7, but it needs to stay small and light - who cares what the rest of the lineup looks like? Part of the reason Miatas don't blend in is because they don't drink the corporate koolaid to the point of homogenization.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Oh, and speaking of updated Miatas, here's a pair of leaked official photos of the NC facelift:

Source: http://jalopnik.com/5044979/2010-mazda-mx+5-facelift-official-photo-leaks

I actually think the update makes a world of difference on the attractiveness of the front end. Looks a bit more RX-8 like, which I think is a good thing.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Guinness posted:

Oh, and speaking of updated Miatas, here's a pair of leaked official photos of the NC facelift:
I actually think the update makes a world of difference on the attractiveness of the front end. Looks a bit more RX-8 like, which I think is a good thing.

It makes it look significantly better. Mazda finally wants this car to look as good as it should.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It does look nice, but good lord they have a thing for happy cars.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Mazda is doing a number with these facelifts. First the RX-8, which now looks amazing compared to its older counterpart, and now the NC. Granted, it looks like they're just doing the same exact thing (sharpening the edges on the headlights, and changing the fascia to that happy face middle grill flanked by two smaller foglight and grills), but it works well.

Anyhow, Miata related - what's the general consensus on the Mazdaspeed Miata? I've been reading up on it out curiosity, and have found that some were very displeased with the turbo (abrupt power, or lack there of until a high RPM), and how the weight distribution was changed to 52/48 rather than the standard 50/50.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AF posted:

Mazda is doing a number with these facelifts. First the RX-8, which now looks amazing compared to its older counterpart, and now the NC. Granted, it looks like they're just doing the same exact thing (sharpening the edges on the headlights, and changing the fascia to that happy face middle grill flanked by two smaller foglight and grills), but it works well.

Anyhow, Miata related - what's the general consensus on the Mazdaspeed Miata? I've been reading up on it out curiosity, and have found that some were very displeased with the turbo (abrupt power, or lack there of until a high RPM), and how the weight distribution was changed to 52/48 rather than the standard 50/50.

The official NB Mazdaspeed Miata or the NC Mazdaspeed Miata that won't be coming out since the 2.3 litre Mazda3 engine rubs against the firewall?

Everything that I've heard about the NB Mazdaspeed is that its woefully underwhelming. I believe it runs ridiculously rich and it isn't too fast in the grand scheme of things.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Phone posted:

Everything that I've heard about the NB Mazdaspeed is that its woefully underwhelming. I believe it runs ridiculously rich and it isn't too fast in the grand scheme of things.

I've also read from several people that the turbo gets heat-soaked very easily, so what little advantage it has over an N/A motor gets lost pretty quickly if you're driving hard for more than a few minutes at a time.

I can't confirm from personal experience, however, so I may be wrong.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

AF posted:

If you spent the price premium from a standard NB>MSM you'd have a much, MUCH faster car, with money left over for other bits. Most MSM dudes end up ditching most of the OEM system anyway when they go to upgrade, there's not much point in buying one unless you really hate to tinker.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Guinness posted:

They made it look like some anime character, but somehow not in a bad way.

As far as the 2012 update is concerned, I think that in the end, it really doesn't matter all that much what the Miata looks like, as long as it's not total poo poo. Honestly, no generation of Miata has exactly set the styling world aflame; they've all been pretty simple and conservative designs. There's always going to be a market for no bullshit, simple, fun roadsters. As long as the styling doesn't piss anyone off, it will continue to be a success.

Oh, and gently caress you haters. I like the NC's looks. :colbert:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I personally think they should do a throwback NA design because throwback designs are all the rage these days.
Nevermind that the cars with aforementioned retro styling were not made in the 90's originally but hell. The new design almost looks a little too bloated now. The front end has grown considerably and the doors seem to be getting progressively taller (which is a trend I hate in todays cars. I assume it's related to safety standards, but most new cars look like they have barn doors for sides).

Slippy
Mar 13, 2005
LA CERVEZA MAS FINA
that ND pic is getting into s2000 territory.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

AF posted:

Quite the opposite. People were displeased because of the "low" power rating compared to other turbocharged cars (even the most basic turbo kit for an NA/NB Miata makes more horsepower than the MSM) and the low-end turbo. That motor is totally done by 6000rpm, which is why it won't rev beyond 6500rpm in stock form (even though the only differences between the MSM motor and the '99-00 BP4W are the compression ratio and the camshafts).

Guinness posted:

I've also read from several people that the turbo gets heat-soaked very easily, so what little advantage it has over an N/A motor gets lost pretty quickly if you're driving hard for more than a few minutes at a time.

Even the worst heatsoaked-affected MSM in the world will be faster than its N/A counterpart.

Basically, if you think you will be happy forever with the MSM turbo, buy one. If you don't, buy an NB and turbocharge it. IIRC, MSMs are still fetching big premiums for some reason as well :iiam:.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Slippy posted:

that ND pic is getting into s2000 territory.

So what? The S2000 is a better-looking car. I'm not saying it should imitate an S or any other car, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Actually, someone did mistake my car for an S2000 a few days ago.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Oh, and gently caress you haters. I like the NC's looks. :colbert:
I think the NC is the best looking so far, though I don't think any of them are amazingly nice to look at. They've always been more about how they perform.

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 4, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why does the badge account for 66% of the bumper and hood of the car?

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Hypnolobster posted:

I personally think they should do a throwback NA design because throwback designs are all the rage these days.

I sort of thought the NC was a throwback to the NA--its back to being more soap shaped than the NB; they just added muscles around the wheel arches and added fixed head lamps (which because of how the hood is on the NC remind me more of fog lamps).

Phone posted:

Why does the badge account for 66% of the bumper and hood of the car?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

What is this? A poster on another forum claimed it had MX-5 running gear.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Well, this oil change thing is a bit messier than what I had imagined, but I can see why the 1.8L NA guys take off the wheel.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE GRAN TURISMO IS LIKE A LIFE-SIMULATOR MAN

Oil Change - 50CR: +3HP

But honestly, it does feel a lot smoother with 10w30 instead of 20w50+detergent.

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 4, 2008

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Phone posted:

Well, this oil change thing is a bit messier than what I had imagined, but I can see why the 1.8L NA guys take off the wheel.

I used to be able to do it from the top on my 1.6 but the 1.8 completely slaughters my forearms trying to get down there. I've been taking off the wheel ever since and it's a breeze--aside from the oil dripping on everything but your oilpan of course.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

FireTora posted:

Before

After

It made a large difference. Now I just need to deaden the inside of the parcel shelf and the rest of the trunk and then hopefully most of the drone will be gone. Putting 3 layers of the stuff int he recessed part of the trunk definitely made a difference with the drone.

Oh my. How much weight does that stuff add?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

VPILF posted:

Oh my. How much weight does that stuff add?

They advertise it as 0.35 lbs /ft² And I only bought 62.5ft² of it which is a bit under 22lbs total. I haven't even finished my roll yet, debating where to put it still.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm test driving a 1990 Miata. Most of the things on the NA checklist are good, but I think I've got a CAS leak:

That's a reference pic. The hose right under the top segment of the white line got covered in a half dollar sized spot of coolant or oil. Phone isn't giving up the photo.

CAS issue confirm/deny?
Is it in ok enough shape leak rate wise (coolant was half full at warm, dunno when it was last filled) to lowball and fix it? Or run from it? I'm just looking for a decent beater.

I apologize for popping into this thread out of the blue. I'd like to drive this car back soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
CAS fix shouldn't take more than a hour and you don't even have to take the valve cover off. I'd try and lowball them, but take it anyway. If it's a 94+ you might have to deal with fixing the heater core hoses, and that's a bit of a pain.

edit: 1990, no worries there!