Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Amppelix posted:

Joking? It really does mean Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Is there really any reason for america not getting Xenoblade if it's already localized anyway?

Nintendo hates money? I can't even imagine - the last real RPG I played on the system was Arc Rise Fantasia which was middling at best - I can't help but feel our market would devour Xenoblade or Last Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Having 'no plans' to bring the games does not mean they won't, it simply means that either they don't want to confirm the fact or that they haven't even started planning for it. Atlus, for example, said the same thing about localizing their game Catherine, I think less than a weeks before they announced that they'd be localizing it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

Joking? It really does mean Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Is there really any reason for america not getting Xenoblade if it's already localized anyway?

Oh wow I thought it wasn't serious. There was an article like a week ago that said the EU was getting Last Story/Xenoblade in late 2012 or something. Damnit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Morpheus posted:

Having 'no plans' to bring the games does not mean they won't, it simply means that either they don't want to confirm the fact or that they haven't even started planning for it. Atlus, for example, said the same thing about localizing their game Catherine, I think less than a weeks before they announced that they'd be localizing it.

Problem with this is the lifespan of the Wii has a hard limit on it now thanks to the Wii-U. To have no plans at this stage doesn't really bode well this late in the lifespan. Yeah, they could make plans but I'm not sure they feel it's cost effective.

They basically made two announcements on this after the clamor for the games: "Thanks for the interest, look forward to our next announcement" and then "Thanks for the interest but no plans to bring it out". I figure if they were interested they would have announced plans as their second announcement rather than "Don't hold your breath".

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Oh wow I thought it wasn't serious. There was an article like a week ago that said the EU was getting Last Story/Xenoblade in late 2012 or something. Damnit.

Not only is the EU getting Xenoblade, but there's also going to be a special edition Wii package, with posters included that are electronically signed by Takahashi.

gently caress you, Nintendo of America. Seriously.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Levantine posted:

Problem with this is the lifespan of the Wii has a hard limit on it now thanks to the Wii-U. To have no plans at this stage doesn't really bode well this late in the lifespan. Yeah, they could make plans but I'm not sure they feel it's cost effective.

They basically made two announcements on this after the clamor for the games: "Thanks for the interest, look forward to our next announcement" and then "Thanks for the interest but no plans to bring it out". I figure if they were interested they would have announced plans as their second announcement rather than "Don't hold your breath".

At the same time, the Wii U is almost definitely going to be backwards compatible (have they announced anything like that yet? I don't remember).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's supposed to be really easy to get around the region locking on the Wii right? It sucks that neither of those games are coming to NA, but at least there's still going to be a way to play them.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

U-DO Burger posted:

Not only is the EU getting Xenoblade, but there's also going to be a special edition Wii package, with posters included that are electronically signed by Takahashi.

gently caress you, Nintendo of America. Seriously.

What does electronically signed mean?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A shrubbery! posted:

What does electronically signed mean?

I assume this means he hasn't put pen to the poster. It might mean they just print his signature, onto them.

Edit: Dang it now I want this game and its Collector's Edition. Curse you all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cake Attack posted:

It's supposed to be really easy to get around the region locking on the Wii right? It sucks that neither of those games are coming to NA, but at least there's still going to be a way to play them.
Homebrewing a Wii is pretty easy these days, look for the megathread here on the forums.

The Dolphin emulator is probably a viable alternative as well.

It doesn't really make much sense to me either. Of all the systems to do that with, they decide to do this with the system that's incredibly susceptible to importing/piracy. I can't believe I just said susceptible and importing in the same sentence; region locking is some incredibly dumb stuff.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I assume this means he hasn't put pen to the poster. It might mean they just print his signature, onto them.

Edit: Dang it now I want this game and its Collector's Edition. Curse you all.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's all it means too. I don't care if it's just a print of his signature though. Takahashi's awesome and I want all that stuff sooo badly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Homebrewing a Wii is pretty easy these days, look for the megathread here on the forums.

The Dolphin emulator is probably a viable alternative as well.

It doesn't really make much sense to me either. Of all the systems to do that with, they decide to do this with the system that's incredibly susceptible to importing/piracy. I can't believe I just said susceptible and importing in the same sentence; region locking is some incredibly dumb stuff.

Region-locking is grade-A retarded. Though that does remind me, would I be able to play a Japanese DS game (not 3DS, regular DS) on my region-locked-to-the-west 3DS? Did the regular DS cartridges have any region info on them at all?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

What's the deal with the "something else" anyway? Looks second party but the reviews seem pretty mixed.

It's an action game in the vein of God of War, and it's better than anything the Wii has released this week, which includes such heavy hitters as MotoHeroz, Bigtown Shootout, Zombii Attack, and...

Final Fantasy VI on the Virtual Console...

Okay, so it's better than three of the four games released this week, that's a pretty good average. :downs:

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 1, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Morpheus posted:

Region-locking is grade-A retarded.

Nah, it's a tool for increased revenue and management of public perception.

Imagine you're a publisher in Country A. Countries B-Z exist, and have a game-playing market, but you're not really familiar with them. Country A, you know plenty about, and you base your marketing and release strategy on that knowledge. Games are expensive and risky endeavors, that can flop with a bad release, so you stick with just actively marketing them in Country A.

But why not just let your game be usable anywhere, and let the people in countries B-Z pay what they like to get it? Well, those countries have publishers too, ones that are just as savvy in their countries as you are in yours. The one in Country G knows that your game could be a big hit there, if they were put in charge of the marketing and release, and so do publishers in six other countries. You license to them, they are each moderately successful giving you a share of the profits, which are presumably larger than they would have been if you had just let the chips fall where they may world-wide.

Now, Nintendo isn't just a publisher, but they have publishers as clients. Further, I think they have regional strategies for what kinds of games should be approved. There's just some games which can be released in Japan that are better off (from Nintendo's perspective) not becoming available in Iran.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I'll never understand why so many games keep getting released in Europe but not the US...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'll never understand why so many games keep getting released in Europe but not the US...

And there's a whole bunch of Europeans thinking exactly the opposite. About different games, of course. How would you like to have a release of Xenosaga episode II but no I or III?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I can somewhat understand US-to-EU, since most big european countries want the game in their own language, which would take lots of time and money. But EU to US? There's absolutely no reason at all beyond "well i don't think it's gonna sell"

Well okay there's also the things Doc Hawkins just explained above

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

And there's a whole bunch of Europeans thinking exactly the opposite. About different games, of course. How would you like to have a release of Xenosaga episode II but no I or III?

Wow really? That's pretty awful actually. Not just because it's the middle of the trilogy but because it's probably the worst in the series...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The European release of Xenosaga II also came with a DVD with all the cutscenes from Xenosaga I which made it seem like a really cool game. I hope it's not :filez: to say I need to buy a hacked PS2 so I can play the imported US versions? It's illegal to hack a PS2 here but as far as I know it's not illegal to buy one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That DVD is 80% of the game.

I'm not kidding. Episode 1 inspired MGS 4 to be okay in being nothing but cutscenes.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm not kidding. Episode 1 inspired MGS 4 to be okay in being nothing but cutscenes.

Just because the opening cutscene was 45 minutes long... Wait, I think that proves your point, carry on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't have a problem with long cutscenes as long as there's something worth watching. Although I did fall asleep during the Jade Cocoon opening back in the day and to this day haven't actually played it. I don't think I missed out on anything spectacular.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

And this was the remaining 20%.

Joking aside, the game was more like 1/3 cutscenes. I know it seems like more than that because there aren't a lot of dungeons, but those dungeons are really, really long.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The most fun I had in Xenosaga 1 was the card game.

drat, that was addictive, like a real TCG and everything with the equipment quirks.

Nice break between the 10 minute cutscene that a dude eats his curry really clean.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

If anyone hasn't picked up Recettear, the goon-localized JRPG/capitalism simulator, it's on sale for $5 today on Steam and GamersGate. The GamersGate copy is extra awesome because it has no DRM so you can play it however you want without having to deal with Steam.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tae posted:

drat, that was addictive, like a real TCG and everything with the equipment quirks.

Nice break between the 10 minute cutscene that a dude eats his curry really clean.

Why is there no card game in Mass Effect? What is an RPG without a card game? (Or is there one and I just haven't played enough - I pretty much started yesterday.) I really liked the one in Knights of the Old Repubic.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tae posted:

"HaKox" in XSIII is the best minigame in an RPG to date and I would legit buy a full title of just that.

I am continually shocked no nerd has made a weird freeware clone of it or anything to this day.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

"HaKox" in XSIII is the best minigame in an RPG to date and I would legit buy a full title of just that.

I am continually shocked no nerd has made a weird freeware clone of it or anything to this day.

God I could play HaKox for days. There's nothing quite like accidentally flinging MOMO and Allen to their doom over and over. Though I'm still pretty bummed that Margulis wasn't a playable character.

Uuuuuuuzzzzuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Any other RPG fans hate that the games in their preferred genre take a minimum of 20-some hours?

I have so many RPGs to play. :gonk:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Well play them now, there's kind of a dearth right now in new RPGs unless you're salivating for all the new Final Fantasy titles.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The Machine posted:

Any other RPG fans hate that the games in their preferred genre take a minimum of 20-some hours?

Same. I've started really liking those 20 to 30 hour games instead of the 50-hour epics. Mostly because I get about 10 hours in and get bored and move on to another game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Machine posted:

That just means they're value added!

(I don't even know what that means but I've heard marketers use it before)

But unless you own every system under the sun the recent dry spell of RPG like RPG's, (Mass Effect can shove it, a third person cover based shooter with dialogue trees and stats for weapons is still a third person cover based shooter) so you should be able to sit down and finish at least one RPG before the end of the month.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I don't actually own any consoles so I don't play console exclusive RPGs, but I've started about a dozen or so RPGs in the past 6 months that I have every intention of finishing and absolutely no time to do so. I do like the idea of just trying to tackle one a month. I'd complete them more often than I do just going back and forth between all the ones I've started.

I guess I'll just pick one I know won't take long, like Alpha Protocol, and go from there. Oh hey the Eschalon games are on sale on Steam, I'll pick those up before the sale ends! (gently caress me)

EDIT- Hahaha, "a dozen or so"... I just counted all the RPGs I've started in the recent past and it's a solid 26. Even if each game only lasts me ~20 hours (easily double that in some cases) I've got a solid month of consecutive play time. So if I stop buying now, at this rate I'll be done with all of them in three years or so. :v:

The Machine fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 2, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Machine posted:

I do like the idea of just trying to tackle one a month.

It always takes me several years to finish any 'RPG'. Although that almost always includes a 1-2 year hiatus because I get bored of them.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
What are some good older action rpgs? I really liked all the choices you could make in both KOTOR's and Fable. I don't like Deus Ex or any of the new Fallout/Elder Scrolls games. Maybe something kind of like GTAIV or Red Dead Redemption. No Japanese anime games please as I am over the age of 13.

Pookum fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 2, 2011

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Machine posted:

Only because it creates giant backlogs, like you said. Better that then paying $60 every two weeks for the latest 8-hour-long cinematic cover shooter.

For me the bigger problem is that playing RPGs keeps me accustomed to dated graphics and design. This makes it way too easy for me to pick up all the good old games I missed while I'm buying new games. :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pookum posted:

What are some good older action rpgs? I really liked all the choices you could make in both KOTOR's and Fable. I don't like Deus Ex or any of the new Fallout/Elder Scrolls games. No Japanese anime games please as I am over the age of 13.

How is KotOR an action RPG, it has turn-based combat? Anyway, assuming that you mean 3D real-time games that basically leaves the Witcher games, Risen, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld & Ultima Underworld 2, System Shock & System Shock 2, and probably a a whole bunch of others I've never heard of and/or aren't good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pookum posted:

What are some good older action rpgs? I really liked all the choices you could make in both KOTOR's and Fable. I don't like Deus Ex or any of the new Fallout/Elder Scrolls games. Maybe something kind of like GTAIV or Red Dead Redemption. No Japanese anime games please as I am over the age of 13.

KOTOR's not an action rpg.....I recommend Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I hear good things about the Gothic and Arx Fatalis games. Wasn't Arx Fatalis originally going to be another Ultima Underworld game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I hear good things about the Gothic and Arx Fatalis games. Wasn't Arx Fatalis originally going to be another Ultima Underworld game?

I think they hoped they'd be able to call it Ultima Underworld III but that didn't happen. It's the best 3D dungeon crawler in my book. The Xbox version isn't worth getting for obvious reasons.