Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

dogboy posted:

In an abstract way of course, I bet most people in PL are nice and chill people IRL - I mean even Fozzie looks like a nice and sympathetic guy on the fanfest streams that I'd have a beer with, although I consider the changes his name got tagged on objectively bad and all that; but time will tell I guess.

You're all good man, slap fights are awesome and hilarious as long as they're quarantined to the proper thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

dogboy posted:

In an abstract way of course, I bet most people in PL are nice and chill people IRL - I mean even Fozzie looks like a nice and sympathetic guy on the fanfest streams that I'd have a beer with, although I consider the changes his name got tagged on objectively bad and all that; but time will tell I guess.

I got to drink with Fozzie when he came to a Torontomeet a couple years ago and the dude is cool+chill AF

it's really too bad about his spaceship opinions :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenWing posted:

I got to drink with Fozzie when he came to a Torontomeet a couple years ago and the dude is cool+chill AF

it's really too bad about his spaceship opinions :v:

I was on CCP Dolan's pub crawl group at Fanfest 2013. He's actually a pretty nice and friendly guy and so far since he joined HABIT has been really helpful with stuff.

We shouldn't stay mad at people over spaceships that don't exist :3:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
leave it for me to stay mad and then later on encourage others to be mad, this is my solemn duty

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Unfunny Poster posted:

We shouldn't stay mad at people over spaceships that don't exist :3:

I'm only mad at spaceship people on the internet, and only in eve contexts. Narrative is fun :3:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still find it hilarious CCP Fozzie posted on his old FHC account with a "this is where you hosed up" in response to Kadesh Priestess saying they match fixed but didn't know why they got their Alliance Tournament win turned into a DQ. :laugh:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I just spent 5 days sorting standings for a High Sec Corp to only be able to cash in LP at a rate of 650-750isk/LP.

Stupid Caldari Navy faction ammo.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Oodles posted:

I just spent 5 days sorting standings for a High Sec Corp to only be able to cash in LP at a rate of 650-750isk/LP.

Stupid Caldari Navy faction ammo.

its ok, navy will be more useful post patch because of the Massive loving Jump in taxes in jita 4-4

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Making money is hard for retards like myself. It seems like it takes a long time to build space wealth

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Drythe posted:

Making money is hard for retards like myself. It seems like it takes a long time to build space wealth

you could always convince other people to give theirs to you :)

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I dunno, I'm apparently not charming enough in game. Every time the dude is like "nah, this is some fat bait"

I need a scamming mentor

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i like girl drinks, ive never liked the smell of alcohol and that means i dont like the taste

except i like long islands which are basically the booziest things in the world

Long Island Iced Tea, Amaretto Sour, Strawberry Daiquiries.
Much like you, I can't stand the taste of beer or strong alcohol. I'm glad to know I'm not the only pussy around here when it comes to alcohol. :sissies:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I just can't bring myself to scam someone. I've had conversations with guys and when it comes to asking them for a security deposit I get cold feet and flake out.

I'm a terrible goon.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Dalael posted:

Long Island Iced Tea, Amaretto Sour, Strawberry Daiquiries.
Much like you, I can't stand the taste of beer or strong alcohol. I'm glad to know I'm not the only pussy around here when it comes to alcohol. :sissies:

Pina colada. :getin:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Oodles posted:

I just can't bring myself to scam someone. I've had conversations with guys and when it comes to asking them for a security deposit I get cold feet and flake out.

I'm a terrible goon.

So am I. I was planning on joining Miniluv so I went out and killed a random miner doing their thing in a hisec asteriod belt for the application but just felt like I was being a dick just because I could so I ended up not applying. I'd be fine shooting a fully loaded freighter bound for supplying a bigger group, just can't get behind the rest of it.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

nessin posted:

So am I. I was planning on joining Miniluv so I went out and killed a random miner doing their thing in a hisec asteriod belt for the application but just felt like I was being a dick just because I could so I ended up not applying. I'd be fine shooting a fully loaded freighter bound for supplying a bigger group, just can't get behind the rest of it.

that's dumb, youre dumb, sorry if this isn't chill, i'm not actually sorry.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Boney, chill out

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oodles posted:

Pina colada. :getin:

Margaritas are the poo poo too.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

that's dumb, youre dumb, sorry if this isn't chill, i'm not actually sorry.

Its not dumb. Just a different play style.
As long as he understand that Miniluv is Love and represents all that's good in EVE.

Prencleeve
Apr 25, 2016

by Lowtax

Drythe posted:

I dunno, I'm apparently not charming enough in game. Every time the dude is like "nah, this is some fat bait"

I need a scamming mentor

Best strategy is to stop going for the big heists or recruitment scams, and focus on the really simple stuff in local.

I'll earn 1-2 bill on an average evening ISK doubling in Amarr local. People won't bite at first, but once you start doubling 50-100M worth of ISK - more and more people start playing. Once you've got enough people playing, go cold turkey and stop paying ISK back.

There are people who've become trillionaires in game doing nothing but these types of antics in local.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dalael posted:

Its not dumb. Just a different play style.
As long as he understand that Miniluv is Love and represents all that's good in EVE.

Was more for the sentiment that you're a dick if you shoot miners. You're a dick if you shoot anyone in this game, barring e-bushido honor duels at the sun. Games about killing, and you get it where you get it. And in the grand scheme of dick things you can do in this game, that seems a little minor.

To didn't apply dude, the only functional difference between miners and freighters is the pricetag and the fact that a third party may be inconvenienced in the freighter gank. I've met people who raged and gnashed and whined and begged and quit the game in exloding freighters and exploding mackinaws alike.

The only thing in this game that makes you a dick is metagaming.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Prencleeve posted:

Best strategy is to stop going for the big heists or recruitment scams, and focus on the really simple stuff in local.

I'll earn 1-2 bill on an average evening ISK doubling in Amarr local. People won't bite at first, but once you start doubling 50-100M worth of ISK - more and more people start playing. Once you've got enough people playing, go cold turkey and stop paying ISK back.

There are people who've become trillionaires in game doing nothing but these types of antics in local.

What? How? I've tried that and only had very small success

Prencleeve
Apr 25, 2016

by Lowtax

Drythe posted:

What? How? I've tried that and only had very small success

Were you paying out the ISK initially? It only really works if you're paying out fairly large amounts, 50-100m, at the start to show everybody you're the real deal.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

How much capital should I have to start? I also tried it in jita which probably sucked for it

Prencleeve
Apr 25, 2016

by Lowtax

Drythe posted:

How much capital should I have to start? I also tried it in jita which probably sucked for it

You're gonna want at least 1B to play around with. And you're about Jita - it's impossible to keep up with the level of spam in that system.

Pick a nice little trade hub, or even a missioning hub, and make a name for yourself as the local legitimate ISK doubler.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Do you just do the normal "send me isk and I double it" line? I'll give it a try tonight and probably go broke

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Was more for the sentiment that you're a dick if you shoot miners. You're a dick if you shoot anyone in this game, barring e-bushido honor duels at the sun. Games about killing, and you get it where you get it. And in the grand scheme of dick things you can do in this game, that seems a little minor.

To didn't apply dude, the only functional difference between miners and freighters is the pricetag and the fact that a third party may be inconvenienced in the freighter gank. I've met people who raged and gnashed and whined and begged and quit the game in exloding freighters and exploding mackinaws alike.

The only thing in this game that makes you a dick is metagaming.

It wasn't so much that I was being a dick to another person, it was just the general act and effort involved felt like I just squished a bug by intentionally shortening my stride rather than just keeping walking like normal and ignoring the bug entirely. I built a cheap Catalyst, flew two jumps away from Jita, warped to an Asteriod belt (got lucky, two Procurer's were in the first one I warped to), and hit F1. I don't have any particular feelings (positive or negative) about what the other person thought about it. I like the idea of ganking freighters because it does cause some small amount of havoc somewhere in the game and involves a lot of work in finding a target, locking it down, flash forming, and getting there quickly, and playing the Concord mechanics. I imagine I'd also not give a drat what the other person thought, but the economy of scale in impact between a random miner and a full freighter is meaningful to me. Even if I wasn't part of any of that process and was just another set of guns to add those few extra points of damage to beat Concord it's still interesting to take part in that effort.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Drythe posted:

Do you just do the normal "send me isk and I double it" line? I'll give it a try tonight and probably go broke

P sure preencleeve is trolling you. I'd ignore this advice.

Preencleeve get out the chill thread.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Hey can anybody photoshop the fatbee wings and helmet on this picture?

Thanks in advance.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

mpaarating posted:

P sure preencleeve is trolling you. I'd ignore this advice.

Preencleeve get out the chill thread.

I trusted the chill thread to not be the unchill thread :(

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Drythe posted:

I trusted the chill thread to not be the unchill thread :(

I mean, its possible this works. I have tried this thing once before (literally what he's describing) and definitely came out in the red. I guess that doesn't mean it can't ever work though, so ymmv

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

nessin posted:

It wasn't so much that I was being a dick to another person, it was just the general act and effort involved felt like I just squished a bug by intentionally shortening my stride rather than just keeping walking like normal and ignoring the bug entirely. I built a cheap Catalyst, flew two jumps away from Jita, warped to an Asteriod belt (got lucky, two Procurer's were in the first one I warped to), and hit F1. I don't have any particular feelings (positive or negative) about what the other person thought about it. I like the idea of ganking freighters because it does cause some small amount of havoc somewhere in the game and involves a lot of work in finding a target, locking it down, flash forming, and getting there quickly, and playing the Concord mechanics. I imagine I'd also not give a drat what the other person thought, but the economy of scale in impact between a random miner and a full freighter is meaningful to me. Even if I wasn't part of any of that process and was just another set of guns to add those few extra points of damage to beat Concord it's still interesting to take part in that effort.

You had to do three of the five things you listed, but I don't think you consciously realized it because you found a target in the first belt you hit and only used a single character . It was just coincidence that the whole finding a target and getting there quickly happened simultaneously. It involves a lot more effort once you're criminal, when you're well enough known that people dock up when you enter system, when you need to use multiple catalysts and some kind of scout to secure kills.

People always disagree with miner ganking, but in truth, its one of the most pleasurable methods of ganking in the game. It's low stress (the 'keep it locked down' becomes don't scare it away), it's low risk (most kills are less than 100m isk), you can easily nab a kill every 20 minutes. And you can scale the activity how you want:

-Want to solo kill retrievers and covetors in 0.5s?
-No, okay, group kill mackinaws and hulks in 0.5-0.7?
-Have too many people? Well, dunk Skiffs, dunk Orcas, dunk the shitfit vindicator 'protecting' them in belt.
-Or better yet, go from the top of the turnbuckle and warp three separate squads onto three separate mackinaws in the same ice belt and watch local poo poo itself :vince: .

I don't really agree with the bug metaphor though. Just because you thought it was easy (because you got lucky and got some untakned piece of poo poo unscouted), doesn't mean it's as simple as stumbling through highsec.

That said, gonna real talk with you here: If you got that far, and didn't like it for those reasons, ganking is probably not for you. And that's exactly why we have that requirement. If you didn't think that was much effort, please let every other idiot fucker that couldn't be bothered to get a kill know, though.

The first time you kill 10 freighters, you'll realize the that killing miners and killing freighters is functionally the same, and the only real difference is the number of people and the ships they fly. The entrenched wealth in this game means that most people can shrug off losing a 3-10b freighter without much problem, much like everyone is $17 away from rolling in retrievers.

[You also didn't kill a procurer 2 jumps from Jita, or anywhere, unless you are multiboxing like 5-8 catalysts, in which case, lets talk anyway.]

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
:stonk:

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
drat it boney, he also might have done it in the past

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

i maintain that post is chill even if it reads otherwise, because we're talking about the chillest form of ganking, miner ganking.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Confession: the only miner I have ever ganked is the one I did to get into miniluv. After that it's been freighters although killing incursion/mission bears is also a thing I want to do. Hell a good chunk of them are probably red alts since elitepvp groups make a big deal out of never ratting on their mains.

That's mainly because ganking has always been and will always be a side thing for me, plus I like scanning for whales (in short bursts) and I hate/can't effectively multibox (too new for a huge bullpen of alts, lack the means to plex 1 account much less 10+, potato computer with one screen).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

[You also didn't kill a procurer 2 jumps from Jita, or anywhere, unless you are multiboxing like 5-8 catalysts, in which case, lets talk anyway.]

True, I just looked up my kill and it was a Retriever not a Procurer. There are too many of those freaking barges that all have a similar look.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

True, I just looked up my kill and it was a Retriever not a Procurer. There are too many of those freaking barges that all have a similar look.

Well, good news: CCP plans to upgrade the Skiff and the Procurer's graphics, so you won't have that problem in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Ganking miners is loads of fun if you're running a fleet or multiboxing loads of t2 cats, solo is a bit boring to me

• Locked thread