Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can tell Star Ocean 5 will be something special already. Having the main characters sister as the love interest but IT'S OKAY BECAUSE IT'S NOT BLOOD RELATED and another girl who has JRPG amnesia and the ingame screenshots still have an uncanny valley doll look to them too :japan:

I guess they played Demonicon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What made Infinite Undiscovery a bad game?

It kinda had the same problem as Fable, where it was hyped as being super ambitious with things like "if you eat an apple a tree will sprout up later" that turned out to not be in the game. There was also supposed to be a big system with how you split up your party, but it ended up not really mattering. Things like that. Overall nothing I would call absolutely terrible, just kinda mediocre.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rinkles posted:

Anything not bad?

The music was pretty good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Square is desperate enough to fund a Star Ocean 5?!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tallgeese posted:

So you Saturn fans know, Dragon Force II has been translated.

http://www.verve-fanworks.com/

I recall reading an LP of Dragon Force 1, and that 2 was superior. So have at it.

I hear Saturn emulation is sheer hell though.
I emulated SF3 on a saturn emulator using the translation patch and it worked fine, I don't remember any big hurdles to jump through and it ran full speed.

No idea about this one though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Square is desperate enough to fund a Star Ocean 5?!
They aren't involved, are they? It's Tri-Ace's new parent company.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wish Konami was desperate enough to fund Suikoden 6.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Anything not bad?

The music is okay.

Endorph posted:

They aren't involved, are they? It's Tri-Ace's new parent company.

S-E owns the Star Ocean IP so yeah, it's them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The music is okay.

S-E owns the Star Ocean IP so yeah, it's them.
Are they bankrolling it, or is it Tri-Ace's new parent company doing the bankrolling and squeenix going "Uhh, we get money on this, right? Okay knock yourselves out."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Are they bankrolling it, or is it Tri-Ace's new parent company doing the bankrolling and squeenix going "Uhh, we get money on this, right? Okay knock yourselves out."

Square-Enix is the publisher so it's them bankrolling it.

The director is a guy who worked on Valkyrie Profile and I don't recognize the producer at all.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well okay, I was being hyperbolic but still don't have much faith in it.

http://gamearts.pgtb.me/G11qsW

Not sure if this was posted yet but GameArts have a little survey thing going, gauging interest in possible PC ports of their other games like Grandia and Lunar.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Gunna start playing Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast later. Anything to know going in?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

The director is a guy who worked on Valkyrie Profile

And directed that game with the okay music.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Gunna start playing Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast later. Anything to know going in?

Savescum the trees until they drop the stat boost nuts :mrgw:

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Max out everyone's initial special move fast, since when maxed out it's an instant canceler for moves enemies need to charge up, although Grandia II is one of the easiest JRPGs out there regardless.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gotta admit, after FAYT LEINGOD and EDGE MAVERICK, Fedel Camus just isn't doing anything for me.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So after the dumb as hell regular battle theme, here's a 17 minute preview of the other music in Xenoblade X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMmE6bsl_c

Those sure are track names? Also considerably less rapping.
Anyway if you've ever this composer before this should all have a really familiar feel to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the regular battle theme rules

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It can rule and be dumb as hell at the same time y'know.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Endorph posted:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought it was well known that Konami doesn't know what the gently caress it's doing anymore.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

HGH posted:

It can rule and be dumb as hell at the same time y'know.

the ffxiii-3 approach

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

So you Saturn fans know, Dragon Force II has been translated.

http://www.verve-fanworks.com/

I recall reading an LP of Dragon Force 1, and that 2 was superior. So have at it.

I hear Saturn emulation is sheer hell though.

Yeah, Saturn emulation is basically SSF, which has decent compatibility but looks like utter poo poo, and Yabause, which sometimes looks decent but seldom works. An neither of them have anything close to resembling active development.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dragon force 2 is immensely boring.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coughing Hobo posted:

Not disagreeing about S-E's workflow nor is the rest of what you said incorrect, but Xenoblade was developed by MonolithSoft.

I think you'll find he meant working under Squeenix.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hYf89P22a8

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sawano is good at Sawano music, but it's very same-y. You could have told me that was the soundtrack to Aldnoah and I'd have believed you initially.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

where do you even find this poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of MonoSoft, they're pretty forward about their past mistakes. The problems in their development style that got worked out under Nintendo were already mentioned, and in a recent Iwata Asks for the 3DS release of Xenoblade, Takahashi pretty much said right out that Xenosaga's development was kind of a mess.

quote:

Takahashi :We began Monolith Soft in 1999, with funding from Namco before they became Bandai Namco. The first game we made was Xenosaga, but because we were developing it while we were building the organization, we didn't have enough people. The programmers and the planners were all rookies. At the time, the director of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X, (Koh) Kojima, had just joined the company right after graduating college.
Iwata So even Kojima-san was a rookie.
Takahashi That's right. And, it's a bit embarrassing to admit, but the graphics engine was only completed six months before the development deadline. That's the schedule we were on.
Iwata Now that sounds like a fierce schedule.
Takahashi So - and this is a bit of an excuse - but at the time, I felt that because no one on the team making Xenosaga had any experience, it might be a little too difficult for us to make our ideal game yet.
Iwata Right.
Takahashi But even on that team we had a few extremely talented graphic designers. The game design came out of the idea that "the only thing we can do is make the main component some sort of event."
Iwata So you designed a game that played to the strengths and weaknesses of your team.
Takahashi That's right. We released three games in the Xenosaga series, but they weren't very well received. It was really mortifying. All of the young team members felt that way, not just the leaders. So we all decided, "Next time we need to make a game that players will enjoy." So that made the atmosphere during the Xenoblade Chronicles development very different compared to other games.
Iwata You couldn't make excuses anymore.
Takahashi That's right. We couldn't run anymore. And that's why I say we burned our bridges for the Xenoblade Chronicles development.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

GulagDolls posted:

dragon force 2 is immensely boring.

I do remember playing the original when I was a kid, and I tried playing DF2 under an earlier patch about a year ago, and couldn't stand the character portraits, also Yabause couldn't load a single battle.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

HGH posted:

So after the dumb as hell regular battle theme, here's a 17 minute preview of the other music in Xenoblade X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMmE6bsl_c

Those sure are track names? Also considerably less rapping.
Anyway if you've ever this composer before this should all have a really familiar feel to it.

That's a very different take than Xenoblade. There, the only song with vocals was the ending theme, here there are a ton of them.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 18, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Motto posted:

Speaking of MonoSoft, they're pretty forward about their past mistakes. The problems in their development style that got worked out under Nintendo were already mentioned, and in a recent Iwata Asks for the 3DS release of Xenoblade, Takahashi pretty much said right out that Xenosaga's development was kind of a mess.

I recall hearing that some of the scope issues came from Takahashi not being able to say no to his wife, who was one of the lead writers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Codiekitty posted:

I thought it was well known that Konami doesn't know what the gently caress it's doing anymore.

I thought people were talking about how they just want to get out of video games all together and go full panchinko. Because at least that would make sense.

But its sad that loving Lunar and Langresser have revivals or corporate interest while Suikoden is still dead after Tieketris.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I thought people were talking about how they just want to get out of video games all together and go full panchinko. Because at least that would make sense.

But its sad that loving Lunar and Langresser have revivals or corporate interest while Suikoden is still dead after Tieketris.

There was another Suikoden game after Tierkries actually. It was for the PSP and a giant pile of poo poo.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Konami has their fingers in a lot of different pots at this point, so I don't know if they'll ever be desperate even if their whole games business collapses. They'll still have pachinko and fitness centers and whatever else it is they're doing over there. I'm honestly still a bit shocked that Suikoden II finally got a PSN release.

It's the only good game in the series much like SO2 is the only good Star Ocean. Enjoy the ride and don't let it hook you into playing the others.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Not sure Lunar counts as a revival when there's been a new Lunar game or remake every 3 or 4 years since 1992 up until the last remake on PSP that's now 5 years old. Someone at Game Arts refuses to let go.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 15, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Delsaber posted:

Konami has their fingers in a lot of different pots at this point, so I don't know if they'll ever be desperate even if their whole games business collapses. They'll still have pachinko and fitness centers and whatever else it is they're doing over there. I'm honestly still a bit shocked that Suikoden II finally got a PSN release.

It's the only good game in the series much like SO2 is the only good Star Ocean. Enjoy the ride and don't let it hook you into playing the others.

I would argue that Grandia 1 is good, just dated. If you can put up with older JRPGs it's fine. 3 is pretty bad though, and that one weird offshoot one who's name I can't remember is even worse.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grandia 1's load times are pretty abysmal, just bear that in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

dis astranagant posted:

Not sure Lunar counts as a revival when there's been a new Lunar game or remake every 3 or 4 years since 1992 up until the last remake on PSP that's now 5 years old. Someone at Game Arts refuses to let go.

Between most companies that kill their franchises and those that pretend they never exist, I'll gladly take another release of Lunar for PC from a company at least knows what sells. It's better than getting another dragon song and then to hear nothing for another 5 years. :v:

ImpAtom posted:

There was another Suikoden game after Tierkries actually. It was for the PSP and a giant pile of poo poo.

I wouldn't know as Sony and Konami gave up on the PSP.