Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So... Snowrunner.

I'm axle deep in a mud pit out of winch range from everything. Also the steering is atrocious, which I assume is because it's an xbox port. But I'm going to dig more mud holes tonight with my rear axles because I might have finally gotten bored of Fallout 76.

The steering is atrocious because it's made by the same team that made MudRunner and SpinTires. They're big rear end trucks and poo poo, they're not going to handle like sports cars. I do like the Pacific P16 though, I've used that thing to deliver ridiculous loads down roads where it shouldn't even be possible.

Dragging a trailer of cargo through a peat bog? no problem, might take 20 mins and some lucky stumps to put a winch around to get through the bog but no big deal.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, my steering is basically tapping which direction I want to go slowly. The biggest hangup is the wheels not snapping back to center, but having to countersteer back to it. Just not used to it, there doesn't seem to be much smooth turning with speed because, well, 20mph seems like the most the first few trucks can muster.

It's definitely the best truck stuck in the mud simulator I've played, but I haven't played any others.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, my steering is basically tapping which direction I want to go slowly. The biggest hangup is the wheels not snapping back to center, but having to countersteer back to it. Just not used to it, there doesn't seem to be much smooth turning with speed because, well, 20mph seems like the most the first few trucks can muster.

It's definitely the best truck stuck in the mud simulator I've played, but I haven't played any others.

If you're still doing it this weekend what platform are you doing it on, the gamepass thing or Epic? Might reinstall it and get stuck in the mud again.

There's also a couple of guides out there (mostly on the snowrunner wiki) on getting good upgrades for your basic starter trucks to make them useful like turning the Chevrolet CK1500 into an actual usable scout truck etc.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm on a Series S, so the gamepass thing. Which is set up weirdly in the gamepass screen anyhow, still tries to direct you to buy a package. If you go into marketplace and uncheck the expansion, you can download the base game without being charged.

I spent an hour or so running around looking for upgrades and observation towers today in the chevy 1500 after putting mixed use tires on it. Found an engine for the first medium duty truck, got stuck a few times in between. It's not my first choice to kill time, but I'll probably be on it with some frequency for a while.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh god I started playing Snowrunner last night and now I can't stop. Haven't played a game like this since Spin tires originally came out, this feels much less forgiving. Or the drowned vehicles are just early-game traps.Pretty slow to start but I've just been chugging around the first map, found the Scout 800 and a couple of med trucks. Prob head to the snow soon.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh god I started playing Snowrunner last night and now I can't stop. Haven't played a game like this since Spin tires originally came out, this feels much less forgiving. Or the drowned vehicles are just early-game traps.Pretty slow to start but I've just been chugging around the first map, found the Scout 800 and a couple of med trucks. Prob head to the snow soon.

Drowned vehicles are a trap for sure. If you want a challenge, fetch the Royal BM17 in alaska using a stock ck1500 (except for raised suspension and engine). If you haven't rebuilt the roads you'll spend 45 minutes trying to get there and run out of gas within sight of it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's definitely an addictive quality to Snowrunner. I'm still just tooling around the map, not doing anything specific, just trying to avoid hitting the Recover button.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's definitely an addictive quality to Snowrunner. I'm still just tooling around the map, not doing anything specific, just trying to avoid hitting the Recover button.

That's the best way to experience the game, wander around the map in a scout vehicle and then come back with heavy poo poo for missions. I would recommend getting the Hummer H2 and the International Loadstar 1700 sooner rather than later, as those two vehicles can get loving anywhere. I think the Hummer's off road tires have some special grip coefficient that makes them more effective than almost any other vehicle's tires, and the Loadstar is just a loving boss since it has a permanently locked differential and permanent AWD.

The music is one of the better things about the game that I love, just makes puttering around in your truck better somehow.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 26, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I just got the Hummer and the 1st engine upgrade for it and now I just canyonero all over the place, it's ridiculous. Also insanely fuel efficient somehow.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I just got the Hummer and the 1st engine upgrade for it and now I just canyonero all over the place, it's ridiculous. Also insanely fuel efficient somehow.

In the first Michigan map, there's a death swamp peat bog if you head right out of the starting depot and climb the mountain. It's in between the Warehouse and the Factory, and if you drive into it in anything with a load you're just never getting out ever. Just in case you haven't found it yet.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Played a couple hours of it yesterday and was intrigued, so I don't think I'll refund it.
There are a couple of things that are still bugging me, but I'm kinda hoping they'll get ironed out as I progress through the game. I'm a bit bummed that there's no fast-travel, just hopping to the garage on a map (as far as I can tell so far).
I feel like staying in Michigan for the time being, even though the tutorial took me to Alaska for a detour.

What's the goon-approved startup-strategy, explore around, find observation towers, do random contracts and then go for upgrades or just straight-up better trucks?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Played a couple hours of it yesterday and was intrigued, so I don't think I'll refund it.
There are a couple of things that are still bugging me, but I'm kinda hoping they'll get ironed out as I progress through the game. I'm a bit bummed that there's no fast-travel, just hopping to the garage on a map (as far as I can tell so far).
I feel like staying in Michigan for the time being, even though the tutorial took me to Alaska for a detour.

What's the goon-approved startup-strategy, explore around, find observation towers, do random contracts and then go for upgrades or just straight-up better trucks?

Bum rush some scout trucks, either the Scout 800, or the H2, and then wander the map. The CK1500 starter truck is fairly capable with minor upgrades and handles in a predictable fashion so you can learn how to handle different challenges so don't discount it entirely, do some basic scout missions and get some cash and ranks, really there's no wrong way to approach the game. (except for trying to drive a heavy truck into an unscouted area with a mission load, that's a good way to lose your poo poo)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 26, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Is there any way to move all of my vehicles into the garage so I can "recover" back to it at any point and just switch vehicles instead of driving across the entire map and difficult terrain just to switch back to my Chevy, do some errands/exploring, then drive it all the way back to where I left my truck, ditch the Chevy again and then drive all the wa across the map again to get somewhere else, or "recover" back to the garage?

I feel like I'm missing a blatantly obvious mechanic here, or am straight up dumb.

/edit:

Okay, I guess you can enter vehicles from the global map?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 26, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is there any way to move all of my vehicles into the garage so I can "recover" back to it at any point and just switch vehicles instead of driving across the entire map and difficult terrain just to switch back to my Chevy, do some errands/exploring, then drive it all the way back to where I left my truck, ditch the Chevy again and then drive all the wa across the map again to get somewhere else, or "recover" back to the garage?

I feel like I'm missing a blatantly obvious mechanic here, or am straight up dumb.

/edit:

Okay, I guess you can enter vehicles from the global map?

Yep, you can recover from the map, but apparently there is indeed a hard mode where fuel costs money and you have to tow broken vehicles to your garage or repair them on site to get them going again, and you cannot recover your active vehicle in that mode.

So for good advice, I would recommend exploring the first map once you get a decent scout, find out what you need to clear the roadblocks, and do that. Once you've done that, get started with clearing out heavy vehicle missions and advancing the "main quest" of the zone. There's a lot of DLC I've not done, since last time I played there were only 3 regions and now there's like 8, but once you get a decent off road truck, a decent heavy truck, and a good scout, you're probably going to be able to do just about any jobs as long as you clear the roads first. Also, game is better on controller since you can feather the gas to try to get traction. Slamming the gas pedal to the floor will just make your tires break loose and then you sink in goop.

For the drill rig mission in the first map in Michigan, I had to get an upgraded heavy truck to pull the drill rig to the drill site, that fucker was big, heavy and took about an hour of careful driving to get down to where the drill goes.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 26, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I recovered a drowned chevy ck1500 with my ck1500 (upgraded tires only) and now I'm recovering a drowned MH9500, albeit very slowly, with the same ck1500.

The trick is to park my truck on the opposite side of a tree or two and winch it out.

E: had to run for gas but I got the MH9500 out and drug back to the farm.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 27, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
We can do All Things through the Power of WINCH. I just got an auto-winch for my Scout 800 cos with the roofrack on it I tip that thing all the drat time.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I don't even like driving games but you all make that truck game sound so COOL

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

I don't even like driving games but you all make that truck game sound so COOL

It's actually weirdly fun to play, if you have xbox gamepass it's worth a download just to check it out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Does it have co-op?

One of my favorite achievements in spin tires was after I tipped my logging crane trailer over about 60 degrees on a switchback road. I spent about 90 minutes working the outriggers trying to get some purchase, getting the outriggers embedded in mud, using the crane grabber claw to dig my own outrigger out, then finally plopping myself upright and reloading my cargo by using the logs and crane arm as supports.

Probably would’ve just quit if not doing co-op. Was funny seeing teammates in smaller trucks drive past me, take a look, and say “you should give up” before I finally righted myself.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Does it have co-op?

One of my favorite achievements in spin tires was after I tipped my logging crane trailer over about 60 degrees on a switchback road. I spent about 90 minutes working the outriggers trying to get some purchase, getting the outriggers embedded in mud, using the crane grabber claw to dig my own outrigger out, then finally plopping myself upright and reloading my cargo by using the logs and crane arm as supports.

Probably would’ve just quit if not doing co-op. Was funny seeing teammates in smaller trucks drive past me, take a look, and say “you should give up” before I finally righted myself.

It does have co-op yes (up to 4 players). You can join a friend's game or vice versa and help them accomplish tasks in their world or just gently caress around and explore. Guests however do not get map or mission progress from completing missions or finding vehicles. They only get money and XP/rep rewards, they'll have to do it again in single player or be the host of MP in order to progress.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 27, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

It's actually weirdly fun to play, if you have xbox gamepass it's worth a download just to check it out.

Oh it's FREE?! Hell yea

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well, you have to be paying for gamepass (or riding that $1 signup they did two years ago).

It might try to make you download a bundle because it defaulted to a $30~ dlc combo version for me. If it does that, go to marketplace and download the base game from that. There's a free DLC to download too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I am 100% convinced I was not supposed to attempt this task wih a bone-stock Fleetstar.
gently caress me silly that was rewarding as hell.

I keep forgetting I can just ditch the frame to get a better power-to-weight ration when doing these trailer-"rescue" tasks.

Game loving owns.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy you are that meme come to life.

Never change.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

There's like ten of us playing this game...and it owns? :shrug:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

am I late to the party on Hades because I just got it on switch and it's everything that was good about D2X with the hours of running around looking for bosses stripped out entirely

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I had a task earlier to retrieve some shipping crates from a creek/small swamp. Luckily it was right beside one of those lovely little log bridges thats basically just above the waterline, so I have a flatbed truck parked on the bridge, and my crane truck in the water alongside it. Nice and close so the crate wont tip the crane and gently caress things up.
I'd scouted the place first, got the crane in the water no problem, it's my first multi-truck mission and I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself so I activate the crane arm....

And watch as it slowly unfolds directly under the edge of the flatbed, neatly flipping the whole goddamn truck off the far side of the bridge :downs:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There's like ten of us playing this game...and it owns? :shrug:

i just love that meme ok

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So the crane. I went for drill parts, got my crane put on the truck with 6x6 with a cargo bed. I spend 30~ minutes getting there, pick up the crate, drop it in the bed, but the pickup arrow never goes away on the crate. So it's loaded and I have an up arrow yellow sign bouncing around in the bed. The drop location sign disappeared when I put the crate in the bed. It only needed to go a few hundred meters, and I probably spent another 30 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't register as loaded in the bed and the drop location wouldn't acknowledge it at all.

I did manage to drag a fuel tanker through the mud to the factory. Tipped it twice trying to winch it past a pit, also didn't realize I could fuel from a tanker until after I'd left once to get fuel. The winch is getting all the work.

My beater chevy ck1500 has 38" tires and the V8 now. Found the IH Scout but I'm not impressed with it, probably gonna sell it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i just love that meme ok

Oh, I wasn't werfing Schatten, it's a loving solid meme.
It's just that Snowrunner - while looking like a fusion of Eurotruck Simulator and Deer Hunter: Call of the wild - doesn't really fall into the job simulator category with all the stupid poo poo you can do, the amount of ways you can specacularly fail, and the variety of dumb solutions you can find to a single problem.

I still have one more week of sick leave and I'm going to play the everloving poo poo out of this because I'm too scared to start a new run of DSP.
I also rage-quit earlier, because I thought I could kill two birds with one stone (namely the mountain bridge and the fallen power lines on Black River) by picking up four loads of bricks at the factory and then spending 45 fear-fuelled minutes negotiating those fuckers in my fleetstar AND trailer back to the drop-off locations, only to find out the dumb tasks require concrete blocks not loving bricks.

:negative:

I'm still only scratching at level 5 and thought about just doing a couple of challenge-runs with consumables to "level up", but it felt kinda scummy, so I'm gonna do the German thing and complete regular contracts until I hit level 6 and can buy some loving All-Terrain tires for my Fleetstar (which - I loving hope - should make negotiating all those drat mud-sections a lot less of a hassle)

/edit:
Come to think of it: The "German way" to play this game would be to log in, outright deny all open contracts due to unsafe conditions of the logistics infrastructure, log back out, and salute my Merkel-poster before going to bed. :smug:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 28, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So the crane. I went for drill parts, got my crane put on the truck with 6x6 with a cargo bed. I spend 30~ minutes getting there, pick up the crate, drop it in the bed, but the pickup arrow never goes away on the crate. So it's loaded and I have an up arrow yellow sign bouncing around in the bed. The drop location sign disappeared when I put the crate in the bed. It only needed to go a few hundred meters, and I probably spent another 30 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't register as loaded in the bed and the drop location wouldn't acknowledge it at all.

I did manage to drag a fuel tanker through the mud to the factory. Tipped it twice trying to winch it past a pit, also didn't realize I could fuel from a tanker until after I'd left once to get fuel. The winch is getting all the work.

My beater chevy ck1500 has 38" tires and the V8 now. Found the IH Scout but I'm not impressed with it, probably gonna sell it.

There's an "International Scout 800" (?) you can find on the very first map (somewhere in the northwest, I think?) that feels like a massive upgrade over the Chevy since I could bro-truck and put all-terrrain tires on it at level 2. It also has a permanently locked differential, which in this game is apparently a permanent benefit with zero drawbacks in any situation, I guess? I think I also found an engine upgrade for it.

Just be careful with inclines, because I've yeeted myself off mountains and flipped my poo poo off of driving over innocuous rocks with this drat thing on account of how bouncy it gets with the lift kit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah the IH Scout 800 seemed great at first, but I found the V8 engine for the Chevy and a suspension lift, bought the 38 good in mud and nothing is really stopping me and my winch. The extra 8L of fuel and the efficiency of the V8 (weird that it uses less but whatever).

The physics aren't perfect and there's definitely room for improvement, but I mostly keep my trucks upright. I really need to work on the roads and bridges before I go dragging 5000L tanks of fuel through the mud again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MOTHER

loving

VIRTUA

FIGHTER

god drat i cannot wait

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Cage Kicker posted:

I don't even like SPECIFIC GENRE games but you all make that SPECIFIC GENRE game sound so COOL

Fixed because this is what this thread does to me with so much poo poo I wouldn't bother playing otherwise.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fixed because this is what this thread does to me with so much poo poo I wouldn't bother playing otherwise.

I 100% would've kept ignoring Hades if it weren't for this thread, I usually hate roguelikes. Game is super good, even if I did mostly miss the hype train.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My video game kingdom for a HEMTT wrecker in Snowrunner.

This reminds me so much of pulling PLSes out of the mud 5 miles from the Korean DMZ.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
H8 DLC levels

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
DSP patch up, need to start a new game to get all the fun new planets + combat

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mlmp08 posted:

H8 DLC levels

Seriously. Give me a line on pulling first sergeants' truck out of the ditch because he dug holes in high gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Handsome Ralph posted:

empty quoting because really this is the 5th time ive come in here saying that