Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no covers in Gwen Purple. Like 4 Red and 5 Yellow though.

Made today's Behemoth super frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Call Me Charlie posted:

but fortifying a web tile seems like it would go against the passive and pairing her with Miles

yeah, IIRC their powers don't care how many web tiles are on the board, right? only 1* and 3* spider-man and 1* venom key off the actual web tiles in play? I guess the idea is that the enemy can't match your web tiles away, but they could just change the power to function whenever either team matches a web tile.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, IIRC their powers don't care how many web tiles are on the board, right? only 1* and 3* spider-man and 1* venom key off the actual web tiles in play? I guess the idea is that the enemy can't match your web tiles away, but they could just change the power to function whenever either team matches a web tile.

Gwen's red and Miles' second purple attack depend on how many web tiles are on the board. But Miles generates 1 Purple/Red/Blue AP with every web tile matched and, if you were running those two together, it'd seem like you'd want to pair them with 3* Spider-Man.

I haven't tested it yet but it seems like 3/5/5 Gwen, 5/5/3 Miles and 3/5/5 Spider-Man would be the best combo to just cover the board in web tiles and potentially lock down the other team.

SM: 5 blue stuns a character up to 3 turns and creates 1 web tile
Miles: 6 purple creates 5 web tiles and an invisibility tile, another 6 hits for 5k+ damage, 8 yellow creates 4 web tiles
Gwen: 12 to 6 red does 9k+ damage, passively heals with every web tile match, (if you don't want to blow up miles' invisibility tile) 6 purple stuns target for 1 turn and creates 2 web tiles

Although now that I think about it, does Gwen's new yellow still give a blast of health to the team when fired? It use to be that 8 yellow would heal her teammates 3k at 5 covers. If it only creates web tiles and fortifies 1, you probably be better off running her at 5/5/3 so you could stun 2 teammate for 2 turns with her purple after firing Miles' purple once.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lol Hawkeye is the next 5* and comes with a 3* variant.

E: Source
https://news.marvel.com/games/61043/piecing-together-marvel-puzzle-quest-hawkeye/

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

ughhhhhhhh. Hawkeye is the least interesting character in the Marvel Universe. This game needs Kurt Wagner!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

intangible posted:

ughhhhhhhh. Hawkeye is the least interesting character in the Marvel Universe. This game needs Kurt Wagner!

Or Sabretooth! Or Odin! Or anybody else!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A new 3?? drat them!!

Which 5 is dropping off the latest list?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Full Quiver sounds like a fun gimmick. Why more Hawkeyes though, does Marvel just not have many archers? Hell, why does it even need to be an archer. A power like that could work with loads of things. A solo Rocket, or that Legion guy, a Sentinel from Days of Future Past, loads really. Heck, do lovely Deadpool from Wolverine Origins, game needs him eventually.

Although I guess with that Logan film I should just be thankful they haven't added a new Wolverine.

Really though, the game also needs Mack and his shotgun-axe. And some more Asgardians

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hawkeye + Coulson + star lord sounds like it'd be super fun.

Firing off arrows for 3 AP and then having Coulson make tiles that make Hawkeye generate AP? Holy poo poo.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

That last 3* Hawkguy power sounds like Hawkblock.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I've noticed some of my dudes say "LIMITED" like Devil Dinosaur and Bag-Man. Does that mean they'll never be needed again or should I keep them or ?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

I've noticed some of my dudes say "LIMITED" like Devil Dinosaur and Bag-Man. Does that mean they'll never be needed again or should I keep them or ?

It means covers for those are handed out only during rare occasions and won't pop up in any pack/vault rotation.

Like Devil Dino, he's only handed out during the anniversary events iirc.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've decided to just ask for more wolverines every time they have a survey

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Are Rocket and Groot worth hanging on to? My gut says no, but I could be wrong.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They were useful for me during the 3* transition, to tank + boost damage on the enchilada. They can also be useful for grinding single player nodes because they make their own health. That's about it, really.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Leavemywife posted:

Are Rocket and Groot worth hanging on to? My gut says no, but I could be wrong.

Their blue power and their yellow power is pretty good.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, I like R&G for wave nodes, lots of durability and their blue can make some nasty strike tiles, pair with someone who can create attack tiles (Blade is my go-to) and churn out 3-6k damage per turn.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Never mind. It popped up when I went back into the game.

Leave fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 8, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Rocket & Groot a lot, Green actually hits decently hard, Yellow is good enough at 3 (lets you trigger heals more often), and the Strike Tiles from Blue are pretty powerful when Groot is boosted.

I tried experimenting with R&G, IM40, and the new and improved 3* Falcon for the R&G nodes during this event. You make Strike Tiles with R&G Blue and Defense Tiles with Falcon Purple, IM40 gathers Yellow for his countdown which also buffs any Strike and Defense Tiles on the field, Falcon provides AOE damage which is boosted by R&G's Strike Tiles, and you cover every color except Black while IM40's Yellow doesn't generate anyways.

IM40 has Red just in case, but you don't really need it, except as a finisher. Same for R&G's Green, which has a chance of destroying your Special Tiles. Though if you're ending the fight you can cast it 3 times in a row since you'll likely have 30 Green AP by then.

By other go-to team for the wave nodes in this event is Peggy / IM40 / Starlord. Takes longer for enemies to get their skills off, and when they do, it gives me reduced AP costs. Peggy Blue is great for stunning the ninjas that make Attack Tiles upon death; just use her Blue on something else and use Red on them. It's also good when you're up against a Kishu and two other random ninjas; just stun the other two, use Red to kill the Kishu and get rid of his Traps, and wait 3 turns.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
R&G are a very middle of the pack 3 star

yellows a ridiculously strong true heal, so that saves health pack
blue creates powerful strikes.
Greens ok but there are better 3 star green users.

not great but not as bad as my unmentionables
Punisher, psylocke (who is only like 3rd worst because of squirrel girl and ragnarok), sentry, colossus, vision gamora beast

But thats a personal list,
spiderman and daken barely made it off the list, i think they have good champ awards? i forget

I just miss out on rewards when any of them are required.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only characters I'd categorize as unspeakably meh are Ragnarok (even when boosted he's useless), Sentry (subject to change once I get 4* Carol), Gamora (damage too weak, Black ends up being useless because 4*s have higher match damage than her), Spidey (no damage, Yellow is useless, stuns take too long to get going), and Daredevil (having to rely on a trap tile for most of your damage is blegh, I'd rather have 3* Cap for a stun).

Most of the non-top 3*s I can still find a gimmick that I enjoy or they're decent enough when boosted, I think. Though it should be noted that for the most part it's IM40's existence that allows them to be viable for me.

Squirrel Girl's Yellow is blegh, but Purple hits pretty hard and I'm a sucker for gimmicks like her Green or Ant-Man's Yellow. I actually got really far in a Squirrel Girl PvP event with a team of Silver Surfer (pre-changes, no levels, 1/1/3 or something), and Loki, just gathering and stealing AP.

Beast is okay when boosted, and works with IM40. Granted, it's very luck-based, since you need Strike Tiles from Blue to make Green do decent damage.

Vision's okay with IM40 when boosted. Good for TeamIronMan during Civil War.

Colo was really fun on his PvE alongside IM40 and Red Hulk. It was fun to toss Red Hulk in the air. Again, an instance where I like a character for their gimmick.

With Punisher, I have fond memories of running OBW / Punisher / Hood way back before True Healing and Burst Healing were things. I'd just steal AP until I could unload 3 Greens, 4 Blacks, 1 Hood Yellow, and finish everything else off with Punisher Red. He's poo poo now, though, I agree.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Any goon alliances with an open spot plan on finishing ultron? Strong roster, retired down to just DPD since the beginning of the year, but I have a soft spot for hawkeye, so looking for an alliance again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, I'm actually going to hit the final progression for this PvE. That's neat.

Ultron tomorrow, which is neat too. That's 3 free 4* covers!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gah, it's Starlord, who I already have max covered.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Gah, it's Starlord, who I already have max covered.

Isn't that a good thing, since you can add levels to him? Or is he not champed? I'm waiting for the Iso crunch to hit, since I'm not very lucky at hitting 3 star covers, so I'm sitting on over 1.1 million.

Though, I did champ Scarlet Witch yesterday.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
All they had to do instead of vaulting was probably like just stop being so loving stringy and just boost the 4 character percentage by 10 and lower the 2 star one by 10 over all.

they'd still be rare, just not batshit insane rare for the now largest tier in game. The other one has daily rewards.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Leavemywife posted:

Isn't that a good thing, since you can add levels to him? Or is he not champed? I'm waiting for the Iso crunch to hit, since I'm not very lucky at hitting 3 star covers, so I'm sitting on over 1.1 million.

Though, I did champ Scarlet Witch yesterday.

Not champed. I'm sitting on barely over 300k, and I like having ISO on hand just in case I need to level a character for Clash.

Champing SL doesn't really take priority because I mainly use him for his passive AP cost reduction and AP generation and as a Countdown / Special Tile remover. I don't really use him for damage, so levels in him doesn't do much for me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I take back anything bad I said about 3 Star Thanos. Wave Nodes are loving amazing with him. Strange, Filler-with-Strike-Tiles, Thanos, ninja does a power, Strange blows him up, Thanos blows his friends up. New ninja turns up with buddies, does power, is blown up, friends blown up afterwards.

Then yesterday I got three bonus Thanoses from Elite Tokens and that was enough to champ him and max Court Death and oh my goodness he is obscene. I only had CD on three covers and after switching up it just about doubled the base damage. I want the five star one even more now. Although I guess the stun part would throw things off.

Clash took a couple of goes. Pretty simple though, usual sort of keep away from red and black thing. Funnily enough most of the damage actually came from Recovery. Got a yellow Peggy off that so that's one of every colour for her now.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Pair em up with 3* Bullseye for max hilarity

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I love my 5* one with maxed court death.

Wave nodes are great but drat I and up using a lot of health packs.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
I recently champed 3*Thanos, 5'd Court Death & Come and Get Me. I pair him with OML and 3*Daken for the PvE mook nodes x4. Very little need for health packs, as by the time you kill the first mook, Logan and Daken are healed from the last node. And if I should happen to get enough black for Logan, :black101:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have 7 covers on my OML and not one of them black....

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
My new favorite thing with PVE/waves is to pair Thanos with OML & [whatever random 5*]. They all have a large pool of health and it doesn't matter how much damage they take since I don't use them in regular play anyways.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I have 7 covers on my OML and not one of them black....

3 Red for me :suicide:

I put him as my favorite 5 star, here's hoping I get a yellow

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gah, due to the changes on her Blue, IW can no longer lock Ultron tiles.

Not that it matters cause Hulkbuster and Ms. Marvel are boosted and can wipe the floor with Ultron, but still.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new numbers for Wasp and Spider-Gwen have been released. Seems like Gwen's yellow is only a passive health burst now and it's not even that great.

https://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?l=en&s=news-updated-3-6-2017&f=space-gem-season-update-3-6-17

Hate-Senpai posted:

Gah, due to the changes on her Blue, IW can no longer lock Ultron tiles.

Not that it matters cause Hulkbuster and Ms. Marvel are boosted and can wipe the floor with Ultron, but still.

Give Ghost Rider a try at higher levels. Letting Hulkbuster tank damage so you can one shot Ultron with Penance Stare works surprisingly well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, absolutely. Ghost Rider + Marvel carried me through the Team Iron Man fights against Captain America at higher levels. I'm saving this tactic for later though cause I have like less than 60 Health Packs now. It's dangerous.

I really dig Wasp's update. It's hosed that I have her at 5/0/3.

Also, the new Season finally started so I can pull!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Scarlet Witch had some powers changed up, right? Is she still part of the winfinite strategy? How should I have her powers arranged?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Leavemywife posted:

Scarlet Witch had some powers changed up, right? Is she still part of the winfinite strategy? How should I have her powers arranged?

Uh, basically, her interaction with Team-Up Tiles changed, in that her Blue can no longer convert Team Up Tiles into Purple Tiles, which is a pretty big hit but it's still a really good ability.

It makes Winfinite harder to pull off, but not impossible.

Her Green was also changed so that you can't choose a Team Up Tile for the skill, but I think you can still destroy Team Up Tiles with its secondary effect (destroy and gain AP).

The only really vital members of that particular type of Winfinite are Grey Widow and Prof X anyways; SW is generally the most commonly accepted third member but Starlord (-2 AP costs) and IM40 (massive AP gain) also work.

The Team Up Tile changes hit a lot of people, but 4* Cyclops and SW were the majorly affected ones, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
15 pulls got me...

1 Green Goblin
1 Black Bolt
3 Peggys (I really should have waited till next Season).
1 Luke Cage
1 Coulson
1 Blade
1 Medusa (Bonus Hero, only one)
3 Gwenpools
1 Wasp (still missing her Blue)
1 Spider Woman
2 Riri (whyyyyyyyyy)

No Carol and Medusa from actual pulls.

I'm sad, but at least I got a Coulson.

Wasp is now at 5/0/4, Gwenpoole is now at 3/4/5, Spider-Woman is at 5/4/3, Luke Cage is at 4/2/0, and Riri is at 2/1/4....

Meanwhile Medusa is at 1/2/3 and Carol is at 1/2/2.

This game sucks sometimes!