Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ice_2_c_u posted:

so how much are they losing per unit this go around?

the 360 stopped making a loss per unit like 18 months after release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Valeyard posted:

the 360 stopped making a loss per unit like 18 months after release

excluding the billion-dollar loss due to the rrod i guess

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

excluding the billion-dollar loss due to the rrod i guess

yes, lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my og 360 lasted for 6 years, and then spent another 6 months wrapped in a towel and i have no idea how i didnt burn the house down

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PleasureKevin posted:

but they just finished saying xbox would run windows 10 wtf

:psyduck:

i mean it's right there

also lol @ "now $349" - a $150 price cut in what a year and a half?

its really impressive that widnows can run on so many kinds of devices and be consistently bad on all of them

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

at the date posted:

off topic, but I guess the new "in" thing is being able to see your butt through your skirt????

lol if you dont welcome a future where hot people are showing they butts, forever

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
360 bwcompatibility will propel the bone to new heigh-

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If it really is emulation instead of a native port that's to be expected

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
for an unfinished feature, its not surprising. if they get it working with the majority of games by the end of the year then thats pretty good

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the bit where game publishers choose whether or not they allow their 360 games to run on the Xbox One is complete poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

the Xbox One is complete poo poo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the xbox one is mega ownage. playing good games with my bros? epic. hmm, maybe id be better playing anime games on the ps4 alone. lol. yeah. lmao.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the ipad is the best travel compute

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Valeyard posted:

the xbox one is mega ownage. playing good games with my bros? epic. hmm, maybe id be better playing anime games on the ps4 alone. lol. yeah. lmao.

or you could not buy a games thing because they are trash toys for children

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

If it really is emulation instead of a native port that's to be expected

on the giant bomb live stream phil spencer said they're emulating then entire OS, dashboard et al. the xbone sees the 360 OS as a game which then runs other games so yeah there's going to be some performance drops till they optimise it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dodoman posted:

on the giant bomb live stream phil spencer said they're emulating then entire OS, dashboard et al. the xbone sees the 360 OS as a game which then runs other games so yeah there's going to be some performance drops till they optimise it.

all in one. input one.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dodoman posted:

is this mobile first or cloud first?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

if only there was a website where you could see content made on the iPad... would be very handy

also, how do I get stupid Remote Desktop for free in Windows 8? like full RDP whatever. I can pay the student rate of 70$ but loving really.

i did this just because i needed something to play video james on,

if you have a .edu email you can sign up for dreamspark and then download "Windows Embedded Industry Pro 8.1 with Update", which is literally the same thing as windows 8.1 pro edition except it doesnt come with any of the metro apps preinstalled

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dodoman posted:

they will never fully match the 360's performance on a mobile amd cpu

also the lineup of backwards compatible games is hilariously pathetic and serves well to deflate any xbone fanboy that is rabid about being able to replay halo 3 (the same one they bought again with the master chef collection because there are no other games for xbone, but somehow even worse because its emulated) on ther xbone maybe someday. also lol if you dont think ms is going to try to monetize this with paid bc packs or something

the ps4 is also bad. wii u supremacy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also lol ho-lol-ens is going to fail miserably http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/how-minecraft-and-halo-make-the-most-and-the-least-of-hololens/

quote:

We could walk around the table, lean in, look from above, and kneel to be dead-eyed with the augmented base, and at no point did the content judder in our vision in any significant way. Our tracking was never lost. Unfortunately, that field-of-view crop easily limited the feeling of being immersed in a virtual/real world hybrid; it was more like looking through a tiny magic window into another world than actually being in that world. And while it was an impressive training cut scene, this demo also didn't give us much idea of how HoloLens would work for actual gameplay.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hololens is going to blow you away, pal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

hololens is going to blow you away, pal

with how bad it is, maybe

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

with how bad it is, maybe

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

idk if this was posted yet

http://www.howtogeek.com/219700/what-is-wi-fi-sense-and-why-does-it-want-your-facebook-account/

quote:

This feature lets you share Wi-Fi network access with your Facebook, Outlook.com, and Skype contacts. It works in the background, automatically sharing networks you choose to share and downloading credentials for Wi-Fi networks your contacts have shared with you.

Like many other applications and services, Wi-Fi Sense can tap into your network of Facebook contacts. If you give it access to Facebook, it’ll share any shared networks with your Facebook friends and automatically download any networks your Facebook friends are sharing with you.

That’s the point of Wi-Fi Sense’s Facebook access — it allows Windows 10 to determine who your friends are so it can share Wi-Fi networks with them in the background. Technically, “Windows Wi-Fi” is a third-party app that accesses your Facebook friends so Microsoft knows who you’re friends with.

You might not want to use Wi-Fi Sense. Bear in mind that the sharing is indiscriminate — if you use it, it will share access to your Wi-Fi with all of your Facebook friends without letting you pick and choose who gets access.

You can choose to opt out of this by changing your wireless network name, or SSID, to end with _optout. In other words, if your network name is currently “HomeNetwork”, Microsoft would like you to change the name to “HomeNetwork_optout” to opt out.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Raere posted:

You can choose to opt out of this by changing your wireless network name, or SSID, to end with _optout. In other words, if your network name is currently “HomeNetwork”, Microsoft would like you to change the name to “HomeNetwork_optout” to opt out.
Didn't Google do some similar bullshit like this where they told people who didn't want their wifi to be indexed to change the SSID to some specific thing

tech companies, I swear

edit:

quote:

We’re introducing a method that lets you opt out of having your wireless access point included in the Google Location Server. To opt out, visit your access point’s settings and change the wireless network name (or SSID) so that it ends with “_nomap”. For example, if your SSID is “Network”, you‘d need to change it to “Network_nomap”.
So what if you want to opt out of both the Google thing and the MS thing. Guess you're SOL

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
sound like a neat feature. could be handy for when i invite people over-

quote:

Bear in mind that the sharing is indiscriminate — if you use it, it will share access to your Wi-Fi with all of your Facebook friends without letting you pick and choose who gets access.
oh, this is loving stupid

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmfao what

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
uhhh, are they just figuring "more users connected, more use of services, more ad revenue?"

this is on par with installing a secret bitcoin miner as part of a software update.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
why the hell would i want to share (the guest) wifi from work, or any of my friends' wifis?

or why would i want my friends to share my wifi to people i don't know, for that matter.

i guess i can now do wizard crimes and then blame microsoft sharing my wifi password to strangers.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

i guess i can now do wizard crimes and then blame microsoft sharing my wifi password to strangers.

that proably wont work, for the same reason you cant just say that they hacked into your wifi, or you had an open network

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if that system doesnt get tweaked so that you can block something at a firewall level or put a dns record in place on the network or w/e to opt out i would be surprised. no companies are going to go changing their guest network names around just so that some visiting consultant or sales dude who has that feature turned on doesnt go sharing it with half the world.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"why the gently caress would anyone want that" describes pretty much any new thing from ms, but that literally made me say "what" out loud when i read it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

:psyduck:

Good reason to set up a dedicated firewalled ssid for guests and friends I guess

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

oh sorry i forgot this is microsoft

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

renaming ssids to opt out lmao.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does anyone at ms actually know how people use their devices?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
i wonder how many people actually change the admin login on their routers from the default

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
click in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i am never using another microsoft product :thumbsup:

• Locked thread