Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I, Tonya is real good. Go watch it if you like good stuff.

Better be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's so awkward it's good.

I grew up in podunk redneckistan in the 80s/90s, this movie is perfect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everyone watch I, Tonya.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
public service announcement: Mayhem is loving amazing

Shudder has been on god drat fire lately with their exclusives, the only one I can think of lately I've disliked was Downrange and that was... mostly personal taste.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Breadwinner recently went up on Netflix (Germany, but I think US should have it too). It's an animated film about a girl in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, and it's really loving good. Go watch it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

To be fair, whenever she came on to something like Comedy Death Ray she would usually kill any momentum Scott and the other guest built up for the sake of anti-humor.

good one

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

public service announcement: Mayhem is loving amazing

I couldn't get into it. All the characters are extremely lazy caricatures of corporate greed and backstabbing. I have no love for Wall Street, but a lazy joke is still unfunny.

Mayhem is the only movie I've seen this year that I disliked so much that I turned it off after half an hour.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh drat. Disaster Artist is on Amazon now. Bunch of good poo poo popping up that I have already seen unfortunately.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Ali Wong’s new comedy special is up. It’s more of the same and not as good as her first special, but some of the later sections about motherhood and her struggle to “have it all” made me and my wife laugh. I don’t know of another comic who approaches that material with her POV.

I figured it probably doesn’t pop up on a lot of peoples recommended, so if that’s your speed or you liked Baby Cobra you should give it a spin.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Better be right.

Well?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Everyone watch I, Tonya.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

I couldn't get into it. All the characters are extremely lazy caricatures of corporate greed and backstabbing. I have no love for Wall Street, but a lazy joke is still unfunny.

Mayhem is the only movie I've seen this year that I disliked so much that I turned it off after half an hour.

Unfortunately I agree. I feel like it's a movie I should have liked, but I was bored as hell.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

veni veni veni posted:

Watched Stand Up Guys on Amazon, which is a Mob comedy starring Al Pacino and Christopher Walken and It's easily one of the worst things I've ever seen put to film. I was sort of in awe at how bad it was. Which I think is the only reason I didn't turn it off 15 minutes in.

That's the one where Bill Burr was one of the bad guys henchmen, isn't it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You should all watch Coco
Coco is the movie you should watch

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

It's so awkward it's good.

I grew up in podunk redneckistan in the 80s/90s, this movie is perfect.

Yep it was great. I can relate to the white trashness of it since I grew up in East Tennessee in the 80’s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Yep it was great. I can relate to the white trashness of it since I grew up in East Tennessee in the 80’s.

I grew up, by turns, in Piney Flats and then in a New Jersey suburb 30 minutes outside Newark.

I feel like I, Tonya was made exactly for my combination of life experiences.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Prime has A Ghost Story, an excellent film. Only for people who can handle films with almost no dialogue that play merry hell with time and how you experience it in a film.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought A Ghost Story was insanely good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ghost Story was the first movie I ever saw as a kid at a drive-in and it scared the hell out of me

Oh wait you're talking about A Ghost Story lmao

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Ghost Story was the first movie I ever saw as a kid at a drive-in and it scared the hell out of me

Oh wait you're talking about A Ghost Story lmao

You are talking about the movie based on the Peter Straub book? I remember reading the book, but I never saw the movie.

& the first thing to scare the hell out of me was original the Salem’s Lot miniseries. In terms of movie I think it was either Phantasm or Motel Hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The first thing to scare the poo poo out of me was The Ghost in Mr. Chicken. I still can't believe it myself but I lost sleep for what felt like weeks over it when I was probably 5 years old. There are still parts of it seared into my brain.

Nothing tops the Felicity episode of tales from the Crypt though. Goddamn that messed me up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

The first thing to scare the poo poo out of me was The Ghost in Mr. Chicken. I still can't believe it myself but I lost sleep for what felt like weeks over it when I was probably 5 years old. There are still parts of it seared into my brain.

Hello, shared trauma friend.

That part with the hedge clippers jammed into the bleeding portrait (right in the loving neck!) while the piano with the bloodstained keys plays itself? Yeah, that's tough to process when you're only six years old.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one.

The funniest thing to me, is that at the end of the film, the murders/spookiness were all some sort of big prank on Don Knotts and everyone was ok. At least as far as my memory is concerned. And to this day I don't know if that is actually how it ended or if that was something I fabricated in my head to make myself feel better while I was hiding under the blankets.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

The funniest thing to me, is that at the end of the film, the murders/spookiness were all some sort of big prank on Don Knotts and everyone was ok. At least as far as my memory is concerned. And to this day I don't know if that is actually how it ended or if that was something I fabricated in my head to make myself feel better while I was hiding under the blankets.

I couldn't tell you how it ended, I'm pretty sure I fled the room screaming. If you managed to stick around after the haunting scene then you were made of sterner stuff than me.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I, Tonya is real good. The part where she looks at the camera and says,
"You are all my abusers," is powerful.
And Allison Janey owns in loving everything she is in.

Tangentially...

*Margot Robbie plays Tonya
*Tonya's boyfriend is played by Sebastian Stan.
*Sebastian Stan is the son of Mark Hamill.
*Mark Hamill has played the Joker.
*The Joker's girlfriend is Harley Quinn.
*Harley Quinn was played by Margot Robbie.

I just thought that was kinda amusing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

deoju posted:

*Sebastian Stan is the son of Mark Hamill.

What

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's what somebody told me, but I googled it just now and it's not true. It seems to be a joke about how they look alike that has taken on a life of its own.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

deoju posted:

Yeah, that's what somebody told me, but I googled it just now and it's not true. It seems to be a joke about how they look alike that has taken on a life of its own.

The joke is that Sebastian Stan looks exactly like Empire era Mark Hamill, and there has been some internet support for Stan playing a young Luke Skywalker.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Junkie Disease posted:

You should all watch Coco
Coco is the movie you should watch

It's on my list for Saturday

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

veni veni veni posted:

I actually started to make my boys watch it with me earlier this year and had to let them go do other stuff because the movie did not age well, despite my terror of a second organ being played by hobo joe or whatever. And yes - the movie reveals all the horrors as gags and gently caress that noise I'm 99% positive that there's STILL somebody in the basement just waiting to prank me to death.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I have a tinder netflix date and I’ve gotta pick a horror movie to watch.

I want something fun but also not so captivating we won’t want to fool around. So I’m thinking maybe Friend Request, but I don’t know if that’s even in “so bad it’s good” territory. Any recommendations for stuff like that on Amazon or Netflix?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

eighty-four merc posted:

I want something fun but also not so captivating we won’t want to fool around. So I’m thinking maybe Friend Request, but I don’t know if that’s even in “so bad it’s good” territory. Any recommendations for stuff like that on Amazon or Netflix?

You know you're not supposed to actually watch anything, right?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Jose Oquendo posted:

You know you're not supposed to actually watch anything, right?

A background movie is a good like framing device for the night though. Like I have gym and work next morning so I want the credits to roll and be an organic exit cue for her.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

eighty-four merc posted:

if you have Shudder, watch Mayhem, it fuckin owns and has pretty much the perfect tone for this kind of thing

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I was lukewarm on Kimmy Schmidt for all but Season 1, but I've been really enjoying Season 4.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I was lukewarm on Kimmy Schmidt for all but Season 1, but I've been really enjoying Season 4.

Yeah, I loved season one, really like season 2, was meh on season 3, but season 4 has me loving it again. They've been leaning in on hard on the absurd, and it's working well for the show.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I was hoping someone would give an opinion on the new Kimmy Schmidt season amid all the disappointment about Arrested Development. Glad to hear it's good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Apparently I'm the only person who liked the new season of Arrested Development. :shrug:

My girlfriend had never seen The Invitation so I watched it with her and man that is such a good flick. Even knowing what happened beforehand it was still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Field Mousepad posted:

Apparently I'm the only person who liked the new season of Arrested Development. :shrug:

New season was... tiring. I binged through the first four before going to the new one. Seasons 1-3 felt absolutely breezy, season 4 (recut) was a lumbering mess and season 5, while not as bad as 4, was just kinda there. Arrested Development worked for me because it was a lightning fast attack of tightly constructed interlocking jokes. It was exhilarating how clever and effortless it all seemed. Season 4 and 5 don't have that. It's like seeing an uncle you haven't visited for decades and your last memory of him was when he was in his 30s. Now he's in his late 50s and he's starting to shuffle around, make weird noises when he tries to get off the couch and he calls the DVR his son, your cousin, bought him "the xbox" for some reason. It's kind of depressing, but you're still glad you came.