Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

greatn posted:

What if Spider-Man kept his six arms but also then got possessed by Dr Octopus who put on his four robot arms.

while wearing the iron spider costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Centipede-Man, is what happens.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

greatn posted:

What if Spider-Man kept his six arms but also then got possessed by Dr Octopus who put on his four robot arms.

Dr. Dodeca? Dodeca-Man?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What if Peter Parker was bitten by a spider but actually identified as an attack helicopter?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What If...? Spider-Man's Webline Didn't Break Gwen Stacy's Neck But Her Face Still Ended Up Smacking Into the Side of the Bridge and She Became Ugly and Brain-Damaged?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Have they ever done an anime Spider-Man or a Transgender Spider-Man?

Those are the only two scenarios that I can't think of ever happening.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Look at this guy, doesn't know about the mangaverse

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The live action japanese spiderman show is the generally accepted origin source of the "hero has transformation item and summons giant robots" genre that shows such as power rangers are descended from.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I watched Civil War and why does Cap send his ex a phone in a box at the end? It feels like such a cop out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

I watched Civil War and why does Cap send his ex a phone in a box at the end? It feels like such a cop out.

Desperately hoping for a "you up?"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

It was a way for Tony to contact Steve if the world was ever in danger and needs all the Avengers to save it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Thanos' pathetic Nice Guy obsession with death will never not be hilarious

edit: all I want from the Infinity War movie is for them to include the part where Thanos makes a girl version of himself to be his perfect girlfriend to try to make Death jealous

Doing this and somehow including the Thanoscopter would almost make up for Age of Ultron.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is this, like, actually Marvel sanctioned artwork?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

sassassin posted:

He was saying, "We ain't cool anymore. But we ain't done yet either. I'll be there for you bae, even if we aren't the OTP anymore."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

Is this, like, actually Marvel sanctioned artwork?

the mangaverse was a legit line published by marvel comics for awhile

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was a way for Tony to contact Steve if the world was ever in danger and needs all the Avengers to save it.

More to the point, that love triangle is nowhere near over yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The real question is why Cap couldn't have just bought the phone he wanted to send to Tony. There's a deleted scene that shows how he got it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Desperately hoping for a "you up?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

The live action japanese spiderman show is the generally accepted origin source of the "hero has transformation item and summons giant robots" genre that shows such as power rangers are descended from.

I was going to disagree with that, buuuuuut you included the transformation aspect of it and yeah, that was pretty much the origin.It kinda has shades of Ultraman to it, but not enough to really warrant.

Emissary of Hell, Spider-Man!

The really sad thing is, the robot suit got stolen super early in the show, so all of the giant fights after like episode 5 are done with footage splicing and stock footage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There was actually a marvel anime I'm pretty sure Spider-man was in (it was also poo poo).

And I think hit manga artist Yusuke Murata has done at least two phenomenal covers for Spider-man.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

This is from the darkest future.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Barudak posted:

Likewise, the first power rangers type show where the five color coded heroes summon a giant robot was Battle Fever J, another coproduction with Marvel and an adaptation of Captain America.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is an anti-take, actually.

I didn't sympathize or root for anyone in the movie, thought the plot was bare-bones without any suspense whatsoever, the constant speechifying dull, and the movie as a whole definitely not worth paying money for in a theater. Even as something playing on TV, I could barely pay attention to its pedestrain filmmaking.

Now I guess this is when someone steps in to critique my opinion of BvS as having not been smart enough for its deep themes or something.

EDIT:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why does Iron Man have mom hips?

EDIT 2: Spider-man looks cool as poo poo though. Superheroes with t-shirts sounds lazy, but Luke Cage, Superboy, etc, show that its a real good look when done right.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 3, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

There was actually a marvel anime I'm pretty sure Spider-man was in (it was also poo poo).

And I think hit manga artist Yusuke Murata has done at least two phenomenal covers for Spider-man.

There were a few marvel anime miniseries, for some reason. They were made, shown on TV in Japan and America, and then immediately completely forgotten. Except for the anime version of Storm, she still shows up in fanart from time to time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Now I guess this is when someone steps in to critique my opinion of BvS as having not been smart enough for its deep themes or something.

well when you come in with that attitude yeah it probably is

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

well when you come in with that attitude yeah it probably is

2 posts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

Why does Iron Man have mom hips?

The Iron Man of the Mangaverse is actually Iron Maiden, aka Toni Stark

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shageletic posted:

You're overestimating yourself. Your opinion is "it's bad." Nothing to critique.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Spider"man" also appears to have breasts, indicating that she is Spiderwoman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Ultimate Warrior wishes his thighs were that shredded. Mangaverse Iron Maiden's arc reactor is powered by Destrucity.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Guy Goodbody posted:

There were a few marvel anime miniseries, for some reason. They were made, shown on TV in Japan and America, and then immediately completely forgotten. Except for the anime version of Storm, she still shows up in fanart from time to time

That's a pretty good Storm costume tbh

I mean it's not up against much in the way of competition, your options are the white suit, the black swimsuit, or the purple sports bra and bike shorts from the late 90s

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Very cool, "Iron Maiden" is a fantastic name. Dig how many women are on the team too, way to go people wanting really to be Japanese.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Question, why isn't the new girl that took over Iron Man's title called Iron Maiden instead of Iron Heart?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Marvel as whole is incredibly popular between japanese manga artists. By each Superman expy you can find ten Spidermen running around.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

That's a pretty good Storm costume tbh

I mean it's not up against much in the way of competition, your options are the white suit, the black swimsuit, or the purple sports bra and bike shorts from the late 90s

Biker Strom and the time Storm was Thor are both pretty good

Burkion posted:

Question, why isn't the new girl that took over Iron Man's title called Iron Maiden instead of Iron Heart?

I imagine they're thinking more about licensing and spin off stuff than when they made the Mangaverse. Nobody would've ever thought about a Marvel's The Iron Maiden movie back then. But nowadays, an Ironheart movie? who knows.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shageletic posted:

I didn't sympathize or root for anyone in the movie

That's a choice, bud.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tina Turner Storm has always been the best one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Burkion posted:

Probably copyright/trademark issues

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Heart is just not as good of a name as Iron Man. Iron Man has positive connotations and at least early on was a fun play on words but Iron Heart means something bad. Iron Heart sounds like evil Iron Man.

Iron Maiden isn't much better to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cardboard Box A posted:

Probably copyright/trademark issues

The mangaverse comics were fun but really really dumb. But also kind of weird because around the same time/shortly before, they started releasing an English language run of the actual Spider-Man and X-Men manga that had come out in Japan in the 70s. I was always surprised they didn't just make continuations of those because the groundwork was already set for pretty different origins and takes on these characters set throughout Tokyo and NYC, I mean it couldn't have been a licensing issue with the writing or whatever since they were able to publish the manga anyway. I kind of liked android Electro and stuff.

• Locked thread