Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tulalip Tulips posted:

*Katz runs into an asteroid, dies*
Me: Finally, Jesus.
*shot of Emma's floating body when the colony lazor goes off*
Me: :(

The only thing the Zeta movies did right was lighten the ending up just a little. Fa's reaction to Kamille post Scirocco destroying his mind and then bringing in the Zeta and the Mk. 2 hit me hard.

kamille not having his brain destroyed by a deadly space wizard curse seems to make a lot of people real mad for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yinlock posted:

kamille not having his brain destroyed by a deadly space wizard curse seems to make a lot of people real mad for some reason

I think it's more that that one thing is emblematic of all the changes and problems with the Zeta movies, as the culmination of the movies really. It becomes the focal point for frustration rather than being a major problem on it's own, at least from a lot of the complaints I've seen about the trilogy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So his brain doesn't go like swoosh in the movies?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Yinlock posted:

The Zeta movies are real bad for reasons beyond Kamille not getting smoked by Power Word: Vegetable.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So his brain doesn't go like swoosh in the movies?

The movies largely trash the entire back half and climax of Zeta. There's no Kilimanjaro(Four dies to being shot in the head by Ben Wooder without Kamille ever knowing what happened to her), there's no speech at Dakar so Char misses literally his defining moment in the entire series, Kamille doesn't get brainjacked by Scirocco, and the conclusion after the battle at Gryps after Scirocco dies is Haman going "Hmm okay we're leaving now" and Axis just pulls out and flies away again for no reason.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
wait, jerid doesn’t get flipped off the mountain in the movies? that’s a very important scene

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dudermcbrohan posted:

wait, jerid doesn’t get flipped off the mountain in the movies? that’s a very important scene

The Zeta movies cut a lot of critical parts of the story.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

dudermcbrohan posted:

100% of Zeta TV's scenes that take place on Earth after Hong Kong are cut in the movies. Hong Kong happens, Argama fucks off back to space, big climax, the end, with the primary changes of Kamille not getting zapped and Haman taking Axis away again for no reason at all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

100% of Zeta TV's scenes that take place on Earth after Hong Kong are cut in the movies. Hong Kong happens, Argama fucks off back to space, big climax, the end, with the primary changes of Kamille not getting zapped and Haman taking Axis away again for no reason at all.

Amusingly enough the asteroid Axis would probably still show up soon anyway, it’s not like you can slam the brakes on a huge rock on course for Earth from beyond Mars. Though I guess in the movies Axis Zeon’s fleet was the only thing that makes the trip.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Kamille becomes a brain wizard after getting sent to the shadow realm anyway.

And yeah, its not Kamille not getting whammied that's the problem specifically, its that its emblematic of a dozen other changes that make the whole thing worse because hugely important things got removed. The speech at Dakar is the point of Quattro's arc and its just gone. I'm not going to say that Four needed to get fridged, but the stuff at Kilimanjaro is kind of a big deal even if you don't have her die. And obviously the pivotal Jerid Judo moment. As a whole the movies don't really work like the MSG movies did where things still fit together in the story sensibly.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

*Katz runs into an asteroid, dies*
Me: Finally, Jesus.
*shot of Emma's floating body when the colony lazor goes off*
Me: :(

I watched Zeta recently with someone who had seen it before and someone who had only seen the MSG movies and War in the Pocket before. The one who had seen it before couldn't believe how long Katz lasted, his memory was of them going back to space and Katz loving up and dying within two episodes. The one that was new to it thought Katz was going to survive after the rock and then when the big explosion that ultra kills him happened just went "Good, finally. gently caress Katz" compared to a heartfelt "Nooo!!" for every other non-villain, even Apolly and Roberto.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

The Zeta movies cut a lot of critical parts of the story.

They don't even show Kamille punching Jerid when they meet, except as a flashback

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I’ve heard he gets it worse in the novels. Rosamia is alive, so Kamille gets a brief hope spot of coming out of the mind attack because he’s still got someone out there to look for. Then she dies right in front of him and he flips out. At the end of the novel he’s found in the Zeta’s cockpit, ambiguously either catatonic or straight up dead.

I hope there’s no ZZ novelization. Tomino would definitely kill Judau right after Leina is safe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I would pay to see this parody image turned into a real thing one shot episode.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the defining moment for the Zeta movie is kamille's new throwaway line going "yeah, and scirocco took out the jupiteris when he exploded!" or something like that

isn't it like..... a couple kilometres long...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's 2km long, yeah. I suppose if he exploded near the engines, and the reactor went off it's possible though, because reactor explosions in Gundam are always pretty spectacular.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

It is a helium tanker after all. Once you pop, you can't stop.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lol wow V Gundam, killing off Uso's mom by crushing her with a tire and the having him hold her decapitated head in a helmet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would pay to see this parody image turned into a real thing one shot episode.

I approve of Grampa Bright's salmon pink coat.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I uh finished Victory Gundam and it was definitely a trip.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I uh finished Victory Gundam and it was definitely a trip.

You stood up to the victory.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

You stood up to the victory.

I didn't stop, I carried on.

I also laughed like a seal when Chronicle died. I've seen the clip bit it really didn't do it justice.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 14, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

The Zeta movies are real bad for reasons beyond Kamille not getting smoked by Power Word: Vegetable.

yeah I know, just that particular moment seems to get a ton of focus despite being ultimately inconsequential

Kanos posted:

The movies largely trash the entire back half and climax of Zeta. There's no Kilimanjaro(Four dies to being shot in the head by Ben Wooder without Kamille ever knowing what happened to her), there's no speech at Dakar so Char misses literally his defining moment in the entire series, Kamille doesn't get brainjacked by Scirocco, and the conclusion after the battle at Gryps after Scirocco dies is Haman going "Hmm okay we're leaving now" and Axis just pulls out and flies away again for no reason.

tbf it could be argued that char's defining moment is turning his back on everything to settle his petty grudge with amuro

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I didn't stop, I carried on.

I also laughed like a seal when Chronicle died. I've seen the clip bit it really didn't do it justice.

I’ve never seen that, actually. Do you have a clip or something?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HitTheTargets posted:

I’ve never seen that, actually. Do you have a clip or something?

spoiler for Victory Gundam

https://imgur.com/wzXmGnI

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I don’t know whether to laugh or say “drat!”. Victory Gundam knows how to kill a guy, that’s for sure.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real flaw with G-Reco is it needs about 5-10 more episodes scattered about to really let everything gel together once it gets into space. As-is it rushes through each arc to get to the next just a little too hastily at times.

Just finished episode 23 and I'm totally feeling this right now. Like, I'm pretty sure I know what's going on overall but at the same time wait what why is that guy over there now, are they friends? When did that happen? Who are they? Why are they here? Are we not gonna resolve the parent arcs before the finale? Wut?

I really like the mobile suit designs though and I hope they throw us a few more HGs with the movie releases.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's like an unwritten rule of Gundam that if someone gets killed by a regular human weapon that it will more often than not end up being over the top

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Yinlock posted:

tbf it could be argued that char's defining moment is turning his back on everything to settle his petty grudge with amuro

I think Kanos meant in Zeta

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

I think Kanos meant in Zeta

Yeah. Char's entire arc in Zeta is grappling with the conflict between running away from his identity and embracing it, and Dakar is the culmination of that entire arc. Cutting it means Char has no arc in Zeta and he goes from major focus character to just kind of hanging around for some reason.

(Though honestly I would argue that Dakar is an even more pivotal moment in Char's life than his decision to do what he did in CCA, because without embracing his identity as Casval/Char, he wouldn't have been able to do what he did in CCA in the first place. He could have totally lived out the remainder of his life as some no name soldier quite happily, because he was really loving good at it and nobody knew who he actually was besides a tiny group of people.)

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 14, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

spoiler for Victory Gundam

https://imgur.com/wzXmGnI

Right in the loving face :cawg:. I really need to get around to watching this.

On a completely different note, I've always wondered if it is possible to map mobile suit development in the U.C. to the various generations of real world fighter aircraft. I've had a dream to do a run of gunpla dressed up in Ace Combat squadron livery, but figuring out what mobile suits to assign to which real world fighter eludes me.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this? E.g. 0079 suits roughly map to 2nd Gen fighters, Unicorn to 5th Gen, etc.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The ZZ is the F-35

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

you know I'd like a sidestory about a bunch of anaheim techies building the latest hot new gundam and going "uh so is /this/ one going to cause hallucinations or be powered by the dead or something" and the senior is just like "don't think about it too much, it's some magic kid's problem elsewhere"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Warmachine posted:

Right in the loving face :cawg:. I really need to get around to watching this.

On a completely different note, I've always wondered if it is possible to map mobile suit development in the U.C. to the various generations of real world fighter aircraft. I've had a dream to do a run of gunpla dressed up in Ace Combat squadron livery, but figuring out what mobile suits to assign to which real world fighter eludes me.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this? E.g. 0079 suits roughly map to 2nd Gen fighters, Unicorn to 5th Gen, etc.

So in the future we're going to have sports car inspired fighter jets ala F91?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lets go all in on motorcycle themed fighter jets and boats and poo poo. Just Duker Iq the whole military.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The ZZ is the F-35

Disagree, ZZ actually saw combat (and hasn't decapitated Judau)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Disagree, ZZ actually saw combat (and hasn't decapitated Judau)

So has the F-35.

It's not exactly peer fighting, but in case you haven't noticed, it's been more than 40 years since the last armed conflict between the United States and any military that could be described as having an air force without breaking down in laughter. Meanwhile, every interview I've seen with actual pilots for F-35's in testing have been kind of gushing, describing how easy it is to fly the thing. Kind of the exact opposite of the ZZ, where even Judau occasionally has trouble keeping it in line.

Although what I've seen has suggested that the F-35's been making a lot of progress towards being, you know, good, I'd suggest the Zudah would be a better reference for the narrative you're working with. Amazing on paper, pilots love it... and it's kind of a death trap.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

Although what I've seen has suggested that the F-35's been making a lot of progress towards being, you know, good,

lmao

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

So has the F-35.

It's not exactly peer fighting, but in case you haven't noticed, it's been more than 40 years since the last armed conflict between the United States and any military that could be described as having an air force without breaking down in laughter. Meanwhile, every interview I've seen with actual pilots for F-35's in testing have been kind of gushing, describing how easy it is to fly the thing. Kind of the exact opposite of the ZZ, where even Judau occasionally has trouble keeping it in line.

Although what I've seen has suggested that the F-35's been making a lot of progress towards being, you know, good, I'd suggest the Zudah would be a better reference for the narrative you're working with. Amazing on paper, pilots love it... and it's kind of a death trap.

I was already sold on the ZZ = F-35, but then you brought up the Zudah, and... yeah, that sounds about right.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The ZZ is the F-35 in as such as it has all kinds of fancy high tech crap crammed in for no real good reason. It's OK that it has no specific battlefield role, because it can do everything! The combination gimmick is basically the same thing as STOVL. Both literally and in terms of being a thing that is very cool on it's face and after reflection doesn't really serve that much purpose. And presumably it cost a ridiculous amount of money.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Lets be real here. Every other Mobile Suit is a 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lol if you take Lockmart marketing seriously in trying to classify fighters by generation