Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

kalel posted:

I tried frost punk this morning and an hour in some of my citizens started to die and I got really intense anxiety and turned off the game. I need some hot chocolate and a hug

yeah, its not a happy game. their other game this war of mine is similarly beautifully crushing sad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mummy Napkin
I really liked Left 4 Dead so I’ve been really trying to like Back 4 Blood since it’s free on the hexbox game pass. The random lobbies I’ve gotten in are either people really bad at the game or mean rear end sweaties. haven’t gotten a decent game together to even get past the bridge in act 1.

So I said screw it and am back to playing Slime Rancher because it’s cool and I don’t have to worry about anything

vanisher

Mummy Napkin posted:

I really liked Left 4 Dead so I’ve been really trying to like Back 4 Blood since it’s free on the hexbox game pass. The random lobbies I’ve gotten in are either people really bad at the game or mean rear end sweaties. haven’t gotten a decent game together to even get past the bridge in act 1.

So I said screw it and am back to playing Slime Rancher because it’s cool and I don’t have to worry about anything

Here is my fear of buying this game.

hot cocoa on the couch

kalel posted:

I tried frost punk this morning and an hour in some of my citizens started to die and I got really intense anxiety and turned off the game. I need some hot chocolate and a hug

you called?

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

kalel

:coffeepal:

kalel

Nosfereefer posted:

yeah, its not a happy game. their other game this war of mine is similarly beautifully crushing sad

I got that one on my second playthrough. on my first run everybody died and it destroyed me emotionally

Farecoal

There he go

Nosfereefer posted:

fair warning, the steam version of chrono trigger manages to be sightly worse than the original. translations all messed up (im looking at you frog) and there are some game breaking bugs. also the game is like almost a gig, wth lol

also theres anime

If it's based off the DS versions it's actually supposed to be an improved translation. Frog speaking Ye Olde English was changed because no one else in his time period did and it made no sense

Farecoal

There he go
Binging this thread at work was both a blessing (talking about video games! so many games!!) and a curse (gently caress I'm at work and there's too many drat games to play!)

I think tomorrow I will see if a year+ of updates to RPSC3 and a new computer will allow me to play the original Demon's Souls (cause there's no way I'm getting a PS5 anytime soon if ever)

Heather Papps

hello friend

kalel posted:

I got that one on my second playthrough. on my first run everybody died and it destroyed me emotionally

this is why i've never played darkest dungeons. it's been recommended to me by multiple people but every time i would just rather play a game that uplifts rather than destroys my mood.

i'm still sinking way too much time into deep rock galactic. it's fun to mine.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Mummy Napkin

Mummy Napkin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 20, 2022

Finger Prince

I just have my laptop to game on until my stuff all gets here, so no heavy lifting. Played a couple of games of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (HD remaster) last night. Man that game still holds up. You can easily sink some hours into playing through random scenarios.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Farecoal posted:

If it's based off the DS versions it's actually supposed to be an improved translation. Frog speaking Ye Olde English was changed because no one else in his time period did and it made no sense

counterpoint: frog is a frog

Farecoal

There he go

Nosfereefer posted:

counterpoint: frog is a frog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT56EERg8q0&t=460s

kalel

Nosfereefer posted:

frog is a frog

speaking of, I'm trying baba is you again after giving up a while back and I'm stuck where I got stuck last time, level island 6 - research facility. any1 who's beaten the game pls give me a small hint. I don't want to look it up and spoil the answer but I've been stuck on this jerk rear end puzzle for eons

Farecoal

There he go
There's a Youtube channel called Chip Furnace that posts music from video games that have been corrupted (basically loving up the bits and bytes of the game randomly using a separate program). Here's a few of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTzewlv_mc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzKD52Vvxd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6X874FH6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJKYbl2eG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqd3uVNaRHI

Nosfereefer

Nosfereefer

but frog speaking ye olde englishe fits perfectly with him being an overcompensating knight. he's trying way too hard being chivalrous and all, and even the royal couple seems kinda weirded out by how quickly he goes into his entire dishonour-thingy

beer pal

kalel posted:

speaking of, I'm trying baba is you again after giving up a while back and I'm stuck where I got stuck last time, level island 6 - research facility. any1 who's beaten the game pls give me a small hint. I don't want to look it up and spoil the answer but I've been stuck on this jerk rear end puzzle for eons

heres a hint hope its the right size hint: you need to use a button you don't use too often in the game

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I read a book recently that I just realized has some ties to the puzzle solving in Baba Is You.

The book is called "A Mind for Numbers" and it's partially about how to improve at math even if you think you're not naturally any good at it... but it's more about how your brain works and how to take advantage of the different modes of thinking. There's also a Coursera course called "Learning How to Learn" that covers the same material, you can take it for free if this stuff sounds interesting.

Basically your brain has a focused mode where you're intentionally actively thinking about a problem or idea. Then you have a diffuse mode where you're doing other stuff but your brain is working on the problem or idea you were working on earlier. You know how sometimes you'll realize the solution to something while taking a shower or driving? That's the diffuse mode piecing things together.

I think knowing what I know now from this book would probably change how I play Baba is You because a good plan of action would probably be to actively try a few puzzles for 20 minutes or so then do something else for a bit and see if your brain puts it together or changes your plan of attack. I'd sometimes play that and just stare at puzzle and try the same things over and over with no luck. Another good trick would be to play one you're especially stuck on before bed and then let your sleeping mind work on it.

Bobby Deluxe

i temember playing final fantasy x and having really weird dreams about the sphere grid

kalel

that makes a lot of sense, I've definitely noticed my brain do that. pretty much all of my most useful thoughts occur in the shower lol

the game lets you do other puzzles even if you're stuck on one, so I'll probably start with other puzzles and switch back and forth. hopefully my subconscious can come through on this one

sb hermit

kalel posted:

that makes a lot of sense, I've definitely noticed my brain do that. pretty much all of my most useful thoughts occur in the shower lol

big :same: except it's when I'm driving. I can't seem to get the effect any other way, which can sometimes be frustrating.

biosterous

kalel posted:

i'm stuck somewhere in baba is you (i haven't played it since... wow literally a year ago yesterday, so i don't remember where lol) but i found this website to be very good at giving small hints

https://www.keyofw.com/baba-is-hint/

it never outright tells you the solution to any puzzle, and all the hints are the same text colour as the background so you have to highlight them to see them (so there's no accidental "i moused over a hint and it showed more than i wanted") and they all start with a gentle nudge like "hey did you notice that X is not STOP?"

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

Jolo posted:

active/diffuse thoughts

this is how i solved a lot of the puzzles that i solved yeah!

one time i woke up and was struck with the solution to a puzzle, so i went and searched all the unsolved levels for that level and couldn't find it! then i searched some of the solved levels and realized i'd already finished that puzzle and the inspiration was pointless lol

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

kalel

boo-osterous posted:

i'm stuck somewhere in baba is you (i haven't played it since... wow literally a year ago yesterday, so i don't remember where lol) but i found this website to be very good at giving small hints

https://www.keyofw.com/baba-is-hint/

it never outright tells you the solution to any puzzle, and all the hints are the same text colour as the background so you have to highlight them to see them (so there's no accidental "i moused over a hint and it showed more than i wanted") and they all start with a gentle nudge like "hey did you notice that X is not STOP?"

Ah! Thank you, I think I figured it out in my head. I'll give a try later

Jolo

Here's that book which I enjoyed:https://barbaraoakley.com/books/a-mind-for-numbers/

and the coursera course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

I'd recommend one or the other because everything in the book is covered in the course. I ended up reading the book after starting the course and the rest of the course was all a review of stuff I'd read about in the book.

There's a cool puzzle in the book that is used to demonstrate that focused/diffuse thinking.

It's one where most people either get it right away or stare at it for a while without making any progress. If you think on it a bit and then go let your brain work on it in the background you may see it right away when you look at it again. She mentions in the book that kids often spot the solution right away and that the more educated adults she's shown it to take the longest to figure it out or they give up. I'd ask you to spoiler your response in here so you don't give it away for others. Once you see the solution it feels really obvious, but it's neat to let your brain work this one out on auto.

~tilde~ ~tilde~ drat you lookin good today ~tilde~

In more direct vg news/recommendos, I recommend a demo for a game on steam called Inscryption. The pitch is that you're trapped in a candlelit cabin with a mysterious character and forced to play a card game. Sometimes the cards will talk to you. Sometimes you can move about the small room and fiddle with the various locks, cabinets, clocks, and candles. It's neat. The developer made a game that I liked a while back called Pony Island. The demo is generous, I played it for 90 minutes and will be picking up the full game later on.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1092790/Inscryption/

Prof. Crocodile

on a whim I downloaded ‘the return of the obra dinn’ and it is a nifty puzzle solving adventure with a unique throwback graphical style based on 80s pc text adventures.

as a bonus there a several different possible visual palettes to choose from—Commodore 64, Tandy, amiga, they’re all there.

Dixville

I don't think!
So i found this pokemon rom hack called Radical Red and its kinda awesome. It has all the pokemon up to gen 8 except some legendaries and the difficulty is way higher than vanilla games, it's more like actual smogon style competitive pokemon. They have an option to ignore evs and ivs too which makes it way easier to pick up and play.

Jolo

Prof. Crocodile posted:

on a whim I downloaded ‘the return of the obra dinn’ and it is a nifty puzzle solving adventure with a unique throwback graphical style based on 80s pc text adventures.

as a bonus there a several different possible visual palettes to choose from—Commodore 64, Tandy, amiga, they’re all there.

It's really neat! I played it a few years ago and was wondering recently if enough time had passed that I could play it again without remembering too many of the details.

kalel

Dixville posted:

So i found this pokemon rom hack called Radical Red and its kinda awesome. It has all the pokemon up to gen 8 except some legendaries and the difficulty is way higher than vanilla games, it's more like actual smogon style competitive pokemon. They have an option to ignore evs and ivs too which makes it way easier to pick up and play.

this sounds like something I've always wanted, gen 8 Pokemon in the gen 3 engine. sweet find

Farecoal

There he go
gently caress Bed of Chaos. That is all.

French Accent

Farecoal posted:

gently caress Bed of Chaos. That is all.

the tried and true method of rushing through the fight until you get it right is the only way to do it without losing your mind. at the very least some progress is saved if you die during the fight

itry

The way to do it is to go to your saves folder and backup your save just before entering the fog door. Go in, fight boss, use backup as needed. Because that's what that fight deserves.

Farecoal

There he go
The closest thing to a cheese strat is to use a bow to shoot the two core things, left one first. Even then you still have to make that horrible jump. I died so many times to that piece of poo poo boss the first time I played Dark Souls

I didn't even think of the backup method. I ran back to the boss every time :negative:

itry

Farecoal posted:

I didn't even think of the backup method. I ran back to the boss every time :negative:

I feel your pain :eng99:

beer pal

it sucks the fight is so bad because the visual design of the boss is very cool to me

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Farecoal

There he go

beer pal posted:

it sucks the fight is so bad because the visual design of the boss is very cool to me

There was going to be an actual boss fight and not just a lovely platformer-puzzle, but From was running out of time and money. That's why Lost Izalith is kinda bad in general and has copy pasted dragon butts everywhere, they just had no time left.

https://tcrf.net/Dark_Souls#Bed_of_Chaos

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2021

Dixville

I don't think!

kalel posted:

this sounds like something I've always wanted, gen 8 Pokemon in the gen 3 engine. sweet find

Yeah there's a poo poo ton of rom hacks that have this actually, but this has been my favorite to play so far.

kalel

Dixville posted:

Yeah there's a poo poo ton of rom hacks that have this actually, but this has been my favorite to play so far.

can you point me to one that is more casual and not super sweaty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

is the solution to simply move the tip of the pyramid to another location, but upside down?