Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Oh hey my FDL now has a 15 LY jump range even when fully loaded, it's actually usable! :toot:

(it could be even better but I can't find datamined wake exceptions to save my life, one day...)

sit in front of a station and just scan wakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wolfechu posted:

Not sure if this saves you time, but it's definitely less boring.

Yeah this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

sit in front of a station and just scan wakes?

I did that for a while and got plenty of other scan results, just not the one I wanted.

Not giving up but it's not happening today.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I got the scan you need for rank 5 FSD from scanning player jumps fwiw.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
I want Frontier to make a refresh-button for the missionboards. Or, if they really wanna invest some time to make it better than the current alternative, make a request-menu where you choose what kind of missions you want and it generates them according to the state and politics of that particular station, also with a refresh-button. Logging of and logging back in just to refresh must put a strain on their infrastructure, especially with goldrushes like Draconis.

Im guessing the space-aristocrats would find this extremely gauche, but gently caress em

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
A refresh button is a dumb idea, but a request system would be an in-universe way to do it. There are thousands of people on stations and billions in every populated system, so there should be a plethora of missions on offer. It would make sense for pilots to be able to whittle poo poo down by telling a computer "I like to blow poo poo up, please tell me what to explode".

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

grilldos posted:

A refresh button is a dumb idea
Not really, either from a technical standpoint or an immersion standpoint. There are millions if not billions of people in these systems, you'd think there'd be more than seven jobs needed doing at any one time.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Not really, either from a technical standpoint or an immersion standpoint. There are millions if not billions of people in these systems, you'd think there'd be more than seven jobs needed doing at any one time.

I'm saying it's dumb from an efficiency standpoint. If we're gonna use a UI and in-universe justification, then do the request idea because it's better on both fronts. "I'm looking for some space bussing." Cool, here are 5 to choose from.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pilchenstein posted:

There probably are, but how many are willing to pay the kind of money CMDRs demand. After all, this is a place where a literal ton of beer costs 20 credits. Is it really worth a quarter million tons of beer for them to hire you to go shoot some guy? :D

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

grilldos posted:

I'm saying it's dumb from an efficiency standpoint. If we're gonna use a UI and in-universe justification, then do the request idea because it's better on both fronts. "I'm looking for some space bussing." Cool, here are 5 to choose from.

Yeah, thats a good point. The refresh-button would be the bare minimum required to make mission-scumming a bit less tedious. If they want us to grind for everything, lets us atleast have a choice that doesnt require endless relogging just to get the missions we need for that sweet 0.2% of a rank.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

grilldos posted:

I think in terms of "work Frontier are likely to put in" a single button that rerolls stuff on the client side is much likelier than them actually doing anything halfway decent with it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
They won't. Technically, the mission stacking is an exploit but they can't really fix it without overhauling the entire instancing system and making a centralized server farm to host all the data.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tippis posted:

There probably are, but how many are willing to pay the kind of money CMDRs demand. After all, this is a place where a literal ton of beer costs 20 credits. Is it really worth a quarter million tons of beer for them to hire you to go shoot some guy? :D

Credits have got to be come kind of Pilot Federation Megabux. There's no way an interstellar spacecraft of any kind costs the same as like a nice car does now, even in the distant future.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Now that you mention it, what is the total human population in the galaxy? Some absurd number?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've seen some estimates put it at a few trillion.

Human inhabited space is only a tiny spec in the grand galactic scheme, and the vast majority of inhabited systems have less than 100,000 people in them AFAIK.

edit: fixed for

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 29, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Now that you mention it, what is the total human population in the galaxy? Some absurd number?

Considering how many space assholes like launching dumb fires into populated bases or dropping mines from overhead (space barrel bombs) the total human population might be lower than you think.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If Frontier does something for battle loggers, they need to have a threshold. Sometimes someone loses internet for no reason. Not just because they unplug the cord every single time they get into PvP.
If someone does it once, perhaps it's network related. If they do it when they are losing, that is suspicious. Obviously if they are winning their internet is rock solid.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

IAmTheRad posted:

If Frontier does something for battle loggers, they need to have a threshold. Sometimes someone loses internet for no reason. Not just because they unplug the cord every single time they get into PvP.
If someone does it once, perhaps it's network related. If they do it when they are losing, that is suspicious. Obviously if they are winning their internet is rock solid.
I don't think there's a workable solution, at least not one that will please everybody involved. Whatever they do they'll likely be hounded to the ends of the earth by people complaining that they should've just made your ship stay logged in even if you weren't.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pilchenstein posted:

I don't think there's a workable solution, at least not one that will please everybody involved. Whatever they do they'll likely be hounded to the ends of the earth by people complaining that they should've just made your ship stay logged in even if you weren't.

The EVE solution is workable, but it definitely does not please everybody: if you're aggressed by a player, your ship stays where it is for several minutes if your connection goes dead for whatever reason; if you're aggressed by NPCs, you only stick around for a couple of seconds; and if you're unsure, there's a “safe logoff” option that makes sure you're not trying anything, but which ensures you're gone when a short:ish timer is up.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Tippis posted:

The EVE solution is workable, but it definitely does not please everybody: if you're aggressed by a player, your ship stays where it is for several minutes if your connection goes dead for whatever reason
It's scuppered by the peer to peer networking. What happens if you lose connection for a second and immediately log back into solo mode? What if you lose connection to the other player in your instance but not Frontier's server? Plus you have to consider that it's relatively trivial for someone to interfere with a peer to peer connection before you add a punitive measure like that.

It seems like there should be a simple solution but the networking systen they're using makes it difficult. The best I can think of is having the client replace a vanished player with an NPC clone but even that causes it's own headaches.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pilchenstein posted:

It's scuppered by the peer to peer networking. What happens if you lose connection for a second and immediately log back into solo mode? What if you lose connection to the other player in your instance but not Frontier's server? Plus you have to consider that it's relatively trivial for someone to interfere with a peer to peer connection before you add a punitive measure like that.

It seems like there should be a simple solution but the networking systen they're using makes it difficult. The best I can think of is having the client replace a vanished player with an NPC clone but even that causes it's own headaches.

Honestly I just hope the redo the networking entirely for the next expansion.

Unless the coded it idiotically it wouldn't be a a rewrite of everything.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Crow posted:

Honestly I just hope the redo the networking entirely for the next expansion.

Unless the coded it idiotically it wouldn't be a a rewrite of everything.
I imagine it's a server cost issue. It would explain why they've been so reluctant to give us storage of various kinds.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I really don't give a poo poo as long as I can get those sweet, sweet space-doubloons again real soon.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol: at people mad that they can't have non-consensual-pvp when the entire game is designed around effortlessly being able to avoid that very thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm confused by people who play Open, a mode explicitly for shooting other people and getting shot at, yet log out when someone shoots at them. I'm even more confused by people who think that this is the one thing that ruins the otherwise pristine PvP experience.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

I'm confused by people who play Open, a mode explicitly for shooting other people and getting shot at, yet log out when someone shoots at them. I'm even more confused by people who think that this is the one thing that ruins the otherwise pristine PvP experience.

:same:

Maybe it's the same mentality that compels "roleplayers" in MMOs to hang out in public instances and talk in local about their half elven/dragon/werewolf heritage only to throw a hissy fit when GokuPants64XxX uses a /vomit emote on their way to collect a quest.
You know, as opposed to doing that crap in a private instance and being uninterrupted. They just have to have their poo poo out in public because they can't stand it any other way.

How dare you stand on the table in your glowing raid gear that we are trying to play pretend tea party around! The gall! :argh:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 30, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Open isn't explicitly for pvp. I play it because I enjoy seeing other players coming and going and occasionally having a chat.

I have owned the game since launch and I have been interdicted by players probably less than 10 times.

Of course go in private for a community goal unless you're suicidal...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

IAmTheRad posted:

They won't. Technically, the mission stacking is an exploit but they can't really fix it without overhauling the entire instancing system and making a centralized server farm to host all the data.

Sure they can fix it. Increase the amount of missions offered, limit the amount of missions you can take at one time to 1 and massively increase the payout so it actually pays what the time and risk investment is worth instead of 1/20th of that. You can still do instance switching to see new missions - but they'll probably be mostly the same ones, and you couldn't accept any more than 1 anyway.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I don't agree with those who don't play Open but I will gently caress in my ships for their right to do it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

DatonKallandor posted:

limit the amount of missions you can take at one time to 1
That just seems weird when it comes to courier missions. Plus cargo and passenger missions rely on stacking to get your money's worth out of bigger ships.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pilchenstein posted:

That just seems weird when it comes to courier missions. Plus cargo and passenger missions rely on stacking to get your money's worth out of bigger ships.

B-b-b-b-b-but Han Solo and Cap'n Mal only ever took one job at a time!!!!!!! :cry:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Someone mentioned somewhere on the internet that civil war cooldowns are like 3 days. So I guess keep an eye on Draco the 17 today.

I spent a lot of time looking/flying around at other CW systems, and nothing really worked as well. Either it was too close to another system, or there wasn't an effective planet to jack up skimmers. I ended up in one system (Yen Chelici) stacking some missions and doofing around in a CZ, but ended up either getting wrecked in my dinky Viper Mk. 4 or not doing hardly any damage to anythingin an Eagle. Similarly, it was an independent system so you couldn't get rank with a superpower.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

B-b-b-b-b-but Han Solo and Cap'n Mal only ever took one job at a time!!!!!!! :cry:

Solo and Mal were weird outlaw scumbags who were constantly staring down the specter of space bankruptcy :colbert:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Crud. I got the invitation from the Plasma Dude and mined 50tons of Bromellite - only to realize I didn't have the Alioth Permit. Now I'm grinding through the Galaxy that makes you mad to get Permit A38. With 50tons of Bromellite bogging me down.

:frontear: :suicide:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I got the scan you need for rank 5 FSD from scanning player jumps fwiw.

Yeah, I'm still working on that. I have six of everything else, enough for three shots each on my Python and Anaconda but no Datamined Wake Exceptions.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pilchenstein posted:

Well, they could just have like "deliver 600 tons of biowaste for 30 million" available as a single mission instead of making you board refresh for an hour to get 20 missions that want you to deliver 30 tons each.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^That.

Pilchenstein posted:

Okay so redesign cargo and passenger missions so they automatically scale to your cabin/cargo hold size.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well, they could just have like "deliver 600 tons of biowaste for 30 million" available as a single mission instead of making you board refresh for an hour to get 20 missions that want you to deliver 30 tons each.

DatonKallandor posted:

Okay so redesign cargo and passenger missions so they automatically scale to your cabin/cargo hold size.
I don't think they're going to go for "every station you dock at has the same list of missions and you pick the one that matches your ship's loadout" as an option, not with the player base constantly harping on about realism. In any case, the entire point of the "refresh mission board" suggestion is that it's a quick and dirty way to level the playing field between mode switchers and non mode switchers so they could finally balance the payouts. Obviously if and when they have the time and resources to redesign the entire mission system (yet again) then they could and should come up with something better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Refresh mission button would be a quick and dirty stopgap, yeah. But I doubt that the realism nutjobs would complain about that less than about sensible post-1995 mission design (I'm not suggesting they wouldn't complain about that too, they're loving idiots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
What about just being able to see the mission board before traveling all the way to the station? If only there was some sort of technology to let people talk to each other without being in the same room....

• Locked thread