Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

PaintVagrant posted:

The only thing that gets me hard anymore is youtubes of straight piped MV F4s

We warned you those leathers don't fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Carth Dookie posted:

We warned you those leathers don't fit

They fit when I am youtoobin straight piped V4s :flashfap:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

They fit when I am youtoobin straight piped V4s :flashfap:

They're an I4 :ssh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PaintVagrant posted:

On the Italian scale of reliability how bad is an MV?

So my housemate commuted for a year on a Dragster - the bike was actually mostly sound. The problem was in the details. For example - OEM battery is garbage. Fuel tuning needed multiple warranty updates to get it reasonable. UI was fiddly. All of those would have been fine, just the usual MV quirkiness except that the lack of attention to detail means that with bad starting fueling that was hard on the starting circuit plus a slightly low spec starter sprag, it burned out a starter sprag like clockwork every 3.5k. They released 3 or 4 "updated parts", none of which ever fixed the problem. In 15k he went through 4 and was about to get his 5th.

So he lemon lawed it, and 3 days later it was stolen. He ended up getting msrp out of insurance so whatever but it was just so Italian.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They're an I4 :ssh:

Whoa really?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

Whoa really?

Yeah, Tamburini loved him an I4 - the only reason his most famous creations were v-twins was because he was at Ducati and that's what they did.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I assume its a product of the crazy 4 pipe exhaust that the exhaust sounds so utterly evil?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I assume they sound different because of an intensely, violently italian thing they call radial valves (totally different to what actual radial valves are) wherein the valves are angled toward their neighbour as well as their opposite, necessitating angle cut cams and resulting in an unusual combustion chamber shape. It's the usual nugget where they add layers of complexity and manufacturing costs for a miniscule performance benefit. See also: practically anything german.

The four pipe exhaust comes out of one big cat like every other modern bike.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Angle cut cams, what could possibly go wrong :shrug:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

See also: practically anything german.
Maybe, but BMW M engines are some awesome AI poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe, but BMW M engines are some awesome AI poo poo.

Those are one of the few times the gadgets and farkles genuinely do something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I assume they sound different because of an intensely, violently italian thing they call radial valves (totally different to what actual radial valves are) wherein the valves are angled toward their neighbour as well as their opposite, necessitating angle cut cams and resulting in an unusual combustion chamber shape. It's the usual nugget where they add layers of complexity and manufacturing costs for a miniscule performance benefit. See also: practically anything german.

Oh my god what

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Is that the cause of the weird phaser sound (the sound effect not the Star Trek weapon) that it has, then? I always thought that there was something really freaky with the exhaust routing or something because at certain revs there are some really loving freaky harmonics and poo poo going on with that engine, it really doesn't sound like any other engine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Well, the minuscule performance benefit and unnecessary complexity is probably what they say to justify it to their (probably German) bankrollers, but the real Italian reason is probably to amake her asound as good as she alooks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Well, the minuscule performance benefit and unnecessary complexity is probably what they say to justify it to their (probably German) bankrollers, but the real Italian reason is probably to amake her asound as good as she alooks.

When Tamburini was at Agusta is was still controlled by Cagiva so they were being bankrolled by the money Cagiva got from selling Ducati to the Yanks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some of the harmonics remind me of the 675.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Why would the angle of the exhaust valves change the sound to any significant degree? Presumably they still have roughly the same timing as they would if they were straight, so the exhaust pulses would come at the same interval.

The number of pistons, the crankshaft angles, the firing order, the compression ratio, the displacement, and of course the exhaust shape/length/baffling all would have a greater effect on the engine note than some minor detail of the valve design, I'd think.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 8, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combustion chamber design and port shape has a tremendous effect on how an engine sounds and that setup is a significant departure from other I4 bikes. Consider:a fireblade and a zx10 with decent headers and a yoshimura sound nothing alike despite having identical displacement, firing order, valvetrain design and overall configuration. The differences are primarily in cam duration (which doesn't differ that much anyway because of emissions/practicality reasons), combustion chamber shape and port shape/length. Then consider how wildly different to a japanese bike the MV's sound. I'm basing this off of race bikes I've heard in person whic side-steps the question of factory exhaust systems engineered with a certain goal in mind.

Basically everything about the internal aspects of an engine has an effect on how it sounds and the overall effect is determined by dozens of different variables mixing together; the overall configuration, firing order etc only really determine the basic flavour you start off with. If a V-twin is bacon and an I4 is chicken, the vagaries of ports/cams/pistons etc are more like the cooking method and seasoning. You won't change your chicken into bacon with a fancy exhaust but you can change if it tastes like indian butter chicken or kentucky fried.

Yeah I don't know where I was going with that either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Combustion chamber design and port shape has a tremendous effect on how an engine sounds and that setup is a significant departure from other I4 bikes. Consider:a fireblade and a zx10 with decent headers and a yoshimura sound nothing alike despite having identical displacement, firing order, valvetrain design and overall configuration. The differences are primarily in cam duration (which doesn't differ that much anyway because of emissions/practicality reasons), combustion chamber shape and port shape/length. Then consider how wildly different to a japanese bike the MV's sound. I'm basing this off of race bikes I've heard in person whic side-steps the question of factory exhaust systems engineered with a certain goal in mind.

Basically everything about the internal aspects of an engine has an effect on how it sounds and the overall effect is determined by dozens of different variables mixing together; the overall configuration, firing order etc only really determine the basic flavour you start off with. If a V-twin is bacon and an I4 is chicken, the vagaries of ports/cams/pistons etc are more like the cooking method and seasoning. You won't change your chicken into bacon with a fancy exhaust but you can change if it tastes like indian butter chicken or kentucky fried.

Mmm Kentucky fried butter chicken...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

You were hungry. Now we're ALL hungry. :argh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Does that make V4s chicken wrapped in bacon?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

You were hungry. Now we're ALL hungry. :argh:

:v:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Does that make V4s chicken wrapped in bacon?

V4's are a peppercorn steak.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
V8s are that vat-grown meat science hasn't made edible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

=

?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Surely a V8 is just two chickens at right angles?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Surely a V8 is just two chickens at right angles?

Four bacons in a stack

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

:colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How many points you want? All of them. All the points.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Found my next bike!

[NSFW]
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/mcy/5643490729.html

The rear fender lady's body proportions are A-Maze-Ing

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

TheFonz posted:

Found my next bike!

[NSFW]
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/mcy/5643490729.html

The rear fender lady's body proportions are A-Maze-Ing

tonya_harding_whyyyyyyyy.mpeg

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Going to look at a 2010 ttr250 as a first bike at a place a bit out of town. Gonna bring a buddy. Wish me luck and not murder/robbed/raped!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Watch out for your corn hole.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I found a 2010 Street Triple 675 with some decent after market goodies like frame sliders, tank pads, givi rack plate (kinda dumb looking when not being used but I suppose that can always come off), windscreen, aftermarket seat of some sort. I think I might make it my first bike, or at least go see it in person and sit on it. They are asking $6000. Might try to talk them down to $5500 after taxes/fees if they would go for that. There is a $100 off MSF thing in my packet from them at least.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Jesus jumped up christ

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

JHVH-1 posted:

I found a 2010 Street Triple 675 with some decent after market goodies like frame sliders, tank pads, givi rack plate (kinda dumb looking when not being used but I suppose that can always come off), windscreen, aftermarket seat of some sort. I think I might make it my first bike, or at least go see it in person and sit on it. They are asking $6000. Might try to talk them down to $5500 after taxes/fees if they would go for that. There is a $100 off MSF thing in my packet from them at least.

Yeah dude definitely go niggle over price for a bike you can't ride for poo poo

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

:rip: 2010 striple
:britain:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

No, Dude

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Buy a GoPro, up your healthcare, and get collision insurance.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Buy a ninja 300 and sell it after two months, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dont listen to all these pussies bro that bike sounds sikkkk